Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
It's actually not that hard to spend money on high end furniture. I've got a Natuzzi sofa set that was 22k brand new. It's a pretty sweet hand me down from rich relatives! They upgraded to some new thing that's even more pricey. It's all relative in terms of how much they earn to what they spend on furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

thegoat posted:

It's actually not that hard to spend money on high end furniture. I've got a Natuzzi sofa set that was 22k brand new. It's a pretty sweet hand me down from rich relatives! They upgraded to some new thing that's even more pricey. It's all relative in terms of how much they earn to what they spend on furniture.

Basically this, if you're netting a few million a year income $17.5k for a piece of furniture is just 'normal' pricing. Not too different than the guy making $25k and buying a $400 bedframe/table/whatever from Ikea.

Heck, we have a few people in this thread alone who have $4k+ Eames Lounge chairs don't we? It's all relative.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 27, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Basically this, if you're netting a few million a year income $17.5k for a piece of furniture is just 'normal' pricing. Not too different than the guy making $25k and buying a $400 bedframe/table/whatever from Ikea.

Heck, we have a few people in this thread alone who have $4k+ Eames Lounge chairs don't we? It's all relative.

You start getting diminishing returns once you hit a certain point until there's relatively no difference between the 17.5k sofa and the 10k one. It's about paying reasonable prices for the items one buys. Just because you can pay $17.5k doesn't mean you should.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

You start getting diminishing returns once you hit a certain point until there's relatively no difference between the 17.5k sofa and the 10k one. It's about paying reasonable prices for the items one buys. Just because you can pay $17.5k doesn't mean you should.

There's no such thing as diminishing returns or reasonable pricing in the world of luxury items, no one actually NEEDs any of these things so why would they be reasonably priced? Its all about want and what one can afford. Don't worry, I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that a $10k sofa is probably exactly the same as a $17.5k sofa but the fact of the matter is people want $17.5k sofas and can afford them, so they will get made and sold.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 27, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

but the fact of the matter is people want $17.5k sofas and can afford them, so they will get made and sold.

Yes, and that doesn't make it any less ridiculous that's all I'm saying.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

100% Dundee posted:

There's no such thing as diminishing returns or reasonable pricing in the world of luxury items, no one actually NEEDs any of these things so why would they be reasonably priced? Its all about want and what one can afford. Don't worry, I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that a $10k sofa is probably exactly the same as a $17.5k sofa but the fact of the matter is people want $17.5k sofas and can afford them, so they will get made and sold.

Duck and Cover posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcJkhSUSnek

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
The notebook is for work and I don't usually use it. After buying the 40' tv I mostly used the normal monitor but slowly started using the tv as my main monitor with the keyboard on my lap. I really need some kind of narrow table with wheels to put my keyboard and mouse so it could move along with my chair.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The point of diminishing returns is relative and based on your income, anyway. The "sweet spot" keeps moving up, up, up!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

program666 posted:

The notebook is for work and I don't usually use it. After buying the 40' tv I mostly used the normal monitor but slowly started using the tv as my main monitor with the keyboard on my lap. I really need some kind of narrow table with wheels to put my keyboard and mouse so it could move along with my chair.

Nice Goon Cave. That loving PC microphone is killing me.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

program666 posted:

Why do you sit on a beach towel? Is that for easy sweat/jizz cleanup?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Bucket Joneses posted:

Nice Goon Cave. That loving PC microphone is killing me.
Why? I have a Siberia v2 or something headset too but I do prefer microfone and speakers. Since I mostly play dota 2 with the game volume all the way down it's not a problem to use speakers while on skype.

B-Nasty posted:

Why do you sit on a beach towel? Is that for easy sweat/jizz cleanup?
It's a bed sheet. I live in Rio de Janeiro so I'm usually on my underwear all the time. The material the chair is made of stick to the skin in a uncomfortable way.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I had that microphone for a decade, a decade ago. Glad to see yours is still standing.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Duck and Cover posted:

The point is if you want the 17.5k couch more than the 10k couch and 7.5k isn't really that much money to you then it's worth it. You've never spent a little extra on a certain luxury item simply because you wanted it more? Same thing, but for rich people. There are probably people who would think it's absolutely ridiculous for me to have $150 headphones when $40 would be just fine.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

prom candy posted:

The point is if you want the 17.5k couch more than the 10k couch and 7.5k isn't really that much money to you then it's worth it. You've never spent a little extra on a certain luxury item simply because you wanted it more? Same thing, but for rich people. There are probably people who would think it's absolutely ridiculous for me to have $150 headphones when $40 would be just fine.

No that's different because there's an actual noticeable difference between the $150 and the $40 pair of headphones. So rich people aren't being ridiculous because they pay more for the same (which is dumb but hey who cares it doesn't matter to them) , and businesses aren't being ridiculous because they have rich people to pay their inflated prices. The whole drat thing is stupid, and makes it harder to find out an items reasonable price. This has been off topic anyway how about we continue (if you want) in my old dead furniture thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558574 .

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

No that's different because there's an actual noticeable difference between the $150 and the $40 pair of headphones.

A noticeable difference to who though? There are plenty of people out there who would not be able to tell the difference between $40 headphones and $150 ones, much in the same way that you can't tell the difference between a $10k couch and a $17.5k couch. However, I guarantee the people buying them can tell the difference. You're right though, enough with the derail. Lets get back to posting awesome desktops(as long as they are reasonably priced, of course).

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Triikan posted:

Does anybody know of a product or method to attach a VESA mount to a wire shelf? I'm turning a 6' x 2' wire shelf into a rolling computer desk since I'll be moving everything around constantly the next few months.

My only ideas so far have been mounting a board to the back with U-bolts and mounting on there. I'm not sure what kind of board to use. Don't want it too heavy (tipping hazard), or to look like complete crap (even though a rolling computer shelf isn't going to look the best on any day).
I'm more hoping that somebody sells a product that I can hang from one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Sandusky-WSHA...=I136A823VX9LTE
Barring that, I'm thinking I can buy two, space them properly, and somehow bolt a wall mount to them.

hey man, i know you posted this a few days ago, but i have some suggestions. first, as someone who sells monitor mounts and all that stuff, i would be weary of that wire mesh bending/breaking after you've got your beautiful rig all set up, also of the whole thing tipping over, since it sounds like you're putting together a cart.

that said, here's some stuff that i think might work for you:

if you're dead set on attaching your mount to a board, which then attaches to a shelf, which then attaches to a cart, try an ergotron 100 series pivot.

secondly, you may want to try an FX30 mount. it's a little simpler to set up, but doesn't pivot.

if you're a bit handier, you could try using a pole mount for this bad-boy you're whipping up. i would suggest something from chief.

since you're doing things this way, i'm gonna guess you aren't some oil baron living in dubai. but, if you are, or are in another field of employment that drops money all over you, try an altus cart. it's what you want, minus the whole monstrosity/injury angle you're currently going with.

e: oh, i guess you've got a rolling desk. is mounting on that wire shelf literally your only option? do you have no desktop? there are a ton of grommet/desk mount desks i can direct you towards, they'll save you a ton of trouble and make your desk not look like rube goldberg machine

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 28, 2013

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think I need a new chair...

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I just bought a table to be able to use my keyboard and mouse while using the tv as my main monitor. I'm thinking of getting rid of the computer table and installing a shelf on the wall behind it at around 1.7 meters to put my tower, router, modem and most cables there. I could just use a small table to put the smaller monitor.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
It looks like I'm in the market for a new computer desk (again).

I'd really like to find something similar to this, which has the adjustable keyboard shelf and large work area:

http://www.omnirax.com/index.php/DisplayProduct/0-241

I'm not hot on the few grand required for the above setup, though.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not done updating my desk with audiophile bullshit, so here's another picture:

Each one of those speakers has a copy of "The Basic Practice of Statistics" textbook, by Moore under it as a mini-pedestal. No bullshit is complete without foundation bullshit.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm not done updating my desk with audiophile bullshit, so here's another picture:

Each one of those speakers has a copy of "The Basic Practice of Statistics" textbook, by Moore under it as a mini-pedestal. No bullshit is complete without foundation bullshit.
What are you running with that Lyr?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TenementFunster posted:

What are you running with that Lyr?

There is a pair of audeze LCD-2s hanging just to the right of it. Good machine, good headphones :sax:

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit

Severed posted:

It looks like I'm in the market for a new computer desk (again).

I'd really like to find something similar to this, which has the adjustable keyboard shelf and large work area:

http://www.omnirax.com/index.php/DisplayProduct/0-241

I'm not hot on the few grand required for the above setup, though.

My next desk is going to be a large workbench -- this or similar. If you're handy, all kinds of extra shelves and drawers can be modded onto a slab like that.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Yeah, I need to work on cable management.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

z06ck posted:

Yeah, I need to work on cable management.

Oh god, this is why I never run a case with an open top vent. I can just see a beer being knocked into that, pooling on the back of my nice graphics card

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Oh god, this is why I never run a case with an open top vent. I can just see a beer being knocked into that, pooling on the back of my nice graphics card

I had this happen when my ex was playing Portal on my computer, and went for a glass of water. Went right into the top fan, and I sprinted to the computer and pulled the power cable from the PSU.

That computer still works to this day though.

Speak of which, I bought a house and moved in, so here's the new setup.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
My work desktop

I'll throw up another picture of my home setup soon

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

HalloKitty posted:

This is why you put the beverage to the right of the screen.

m5ind
Jun 6, 2011

Musical, you say?
27 inch monitor became too much for the desk I thought. Sold it and replaced it with a 21.5 inch LG that I've mounted to the back of the hutch on the desk. Only visible wiring on the desk is for the keyboard, which is also new, a Logitech G710+. Having the monitor mounted makes a huge difference to desk space and looks a lot cleaner with the wires hidden behind the hutch.

Bonus comfy pillow sitting on a raised shelf attached to the desk acting as a footrest for when I'm feeling exceedingly lazy.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
CRTs? I'm bringing it back!

This beast has been in storage for the last 7 years, a Cornerstone P1750. Thought it'd look good but it's just terribly un-bright compared to these cheap rear end LCDs next to it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Coolnezzz posted:

CRTs? I'm bringing it back!

This beast has been in storage for the last 7 years, a Cornerstone P1750. Thought it'd look good but it's just terribly un-bright compared to these cheap rear end LCDs next to it.

Hey it looks decent in that photo and that photo is like actually really neat, just don't actually use that setup.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Does anyone have advice on cable management and just general tips on fighting dust? I have an absolute mess of cables and adapters with cobwebs and dust all in-between and I can't exactly lift everything up to hoover/vacuum it.

Under my desk and behind my desk is a nightmare. Same with my TV.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Does anyone have advice on cable management and just general tips on fighting dust? I have an absolute mess of cables and adapters with cobwebs and dust all in-between and I can't exactly lift everything up to hoover/vacuum it.

Zip ties, a bit of thinking and/or a basket for cables hanging under the desk.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

VagueRant posted:

First, take everything off your desk and give it a good clean. Approach with a clean slate. I would recommend attaching everything (Velcro strips work well) to the top of the desk at the very back.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Most power strips have notches in them that will allow for mounting, which can put to it closer to your cables and off the floor. Coil up slack in the cables and zip/cable/velcro tie things up:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

VagueRant posted:

If you can get to IKEA this thing is great. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30200253/

Like someone else said, unhook EVERYTHING and come up with a plan. Use zip ties (or velcro ties if you can get them) to couple together cables that are running in the same direction. I used a bunch of my girlfriend's hair elastics to drastically shorten a lot of my cables too so that there's less excess than necessary.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.
This is my #1 tool for cable management (top result) http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=hook+and+loop

Instead of bothering with a cable basket I just drilled a series of 3" screws at an angle to the back of the desk and threw the cabling on it. Since the desk faces the wall, nobody ever sees it. Then I mounted 1 power strip to the front, 1 to the back.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Can you cable tie wizards please show something more indepth to managing cable? I have seen guys coil different sorts and lengths of cable into one gigantic loop. Sorry for the horrible ms paint

Ideal: I want the backend to be tidy as well

not so ideal: I don't want to hide things in a corner.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
A cable loom can help you out with this goal. Ikea has these for like $4 or so in 6 ft lengths if you live nearby one. Almost all home improvement and hardware stores will carry these because they're used in commercial construction a lot.

If you don't want to merge several cables into one mega-cable, you're looking at cable tying basically in some form or another either with the velcro strips or the classic plastic zip ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

A cable loom can help you out with this goal. Ikea has these for like $4 or so in 6 ft lengths if you live nearby one. Almost all home improvement and hardware stores will carry these because they're used in commercial construction a lot.

If you don't want to merge several cables into one mega-cable, you're looking at cable tying basically in some form or another either with the velcro strips or the classic plastic zip ties.

I actually like tying all my cables into a mega cable setup and just wrap it under a tube, but the probably is that I get cables of various lengths and I just can't cut and crimp :smith:

I have 2 24" monitors and a web cam, a usb port, and all sorts of tangling cable. I rather have a gigantic mega split loom and just splinter the cables out bit by bit. And buy a monitor stand.

caberham fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 11, 2013