Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

notlodar posted:

There is something about these that feels like a missed moment, I think it's her expression. Or I am just projecting because it's the same face my girlfriend makes 95% of the time when I photograph her.

She looks like she just cried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

notlodar posted:

There is something about these that feels like a missed moment, I think it's her expression. Or I am just projecting because it's the same face my girlfriend makes 95% of the time when I photograph her.

She hired me to take some headshots and didn't mention how uncomfortable getting her photo taken was for her until we were on location. I'm pretty happy with what we got.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

8th-snype posted:

She hired me to take some headshots and didn't mention how uncomfortable getting her photo taken was for her until we were on location.

Ouch, yeah. I've had a few situations like that.

I think it's important for us, as photographers, to realize just how terrifying the process can be to someone who isn't experienced or really all that confident around others. Every time the shutter clicks, they're afraid you just took another bad picture of them... they're watching for your reaction on every shot to see if they're doing the right thing... they don't know what you're looking at and what you're trying to fix... it can be intimidating. If time permits, try to spend some time going over the shoot, what you have in mind, how you want to get those results, how you picture the finished product coming out... let them in on your process with your camera still packed away. Tell them how happy you are they wore X because it'll look great with Z. Anything you can do to bring them into the mix will help get them engaged in the shoot.

Just think about how you'd feel if the dentist just walked into the exam room and started poking and drilling, versus when they take a few minutes to explain what you're going to feel, how long it's going to take, etc.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

bisticles posted:

Ouch, yeah. I've had a few situations like that.

I think it's important for us, as photographers, to realize just how terrifying the process can be to someone who isn't experienced or really all that confident around others. Every time the shutter clicks, they're afraid you just took another bad picture of them... they're watching for your reaction on every shot to see if they're doing the right thing... they don't know what you're looking at and what you're trying to fix... it can be intimidating. If time permits, try to spend some time going over the shoot, what you have in mind, how you want to get those results, how you picture the finished product coming out... let them in on your process with your camera still packed away. Tell them how happy you are they wore X because it'll look great with Z. Anything you can do to bring them into the mix will help get them engaged in the shoot.

Just think about how you'd feel if the dentist just walked into the exam room and started poking and drilling, versus when they take a few minutes to explain what you're going to feel, how long it's going to take, etc.

Oh god yeah, luckily I'm actually good with people so I rarely have subjects just fold up. We did get a few lighter ones as well as the "serious" headshots I posted earlier. *Trigger warning incoming VSCO filters*

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

Oh god yeah, luckily I'm actually good with people so I rarely have subjects just fold up. We did get a few lighter ones as well as the "serious" headshots I posted earlier. *Trigger warning incoming VSCO filters*

Which filter (pack?) is that bottom one? Since I don't shoot for money it's hard to justify spending on VSCO but I really like that treatment. Very nice.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Huxley posted:

Which filter (pack?) is that bottom one? Since I don't shoot for money it's hard to justify spending on VSCO but I really like that treatment. Very nice.

Film 01. That's the Portra 800++ filter slightly tweaked. I like that pack because anytime I'm unhappy with Fuji's built in film simulation Portra is probably what I want.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Do the Lightroom presets correspond to presets on the iOS app? There's a few I really like but they're named differently in the app and I don't want to throw that much cash without knowing what I'm getting. I like A6, M3, M5, and HB6.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

1st AD posted:

Do the Lightroom presets correspond to presets on the iOS app? There's a few I really like but they're named differently in the app and I don't want to throw that much cash without knowing what I'm getting. I like A6, M3, M5, and HB6.

Not at all. The LR presets are film simulations first and foremost. I got the Portra one because I know I like the palette.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by TomOlson, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

And the award for creepiest use of content aware fill goes to...

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

8th-snype posted:

And the award for creepiest use of content aware fill goes to...

needs to go creepier. fill in the flesh with stubble everywhere.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Almost there.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Or even

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Oddly enough the shape really makes me think of a diagram of the female reproductive system.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Trypophobia trigger warning!

Subyng
May 4, 2013
oh god why

Reading Dorkroom threads makes me realize how little creativity I have. :smith:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
But it is fantastically inspiring.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Jordan
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I love it, it's such a glimpse-at-a-moment, and the way the colors work is just amazing. Her posing and expression seems a little... lifeless, but perhaps that fits in more with the overall feel than anything else. Is the writing in the windows your doing, or was that already there?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
This is a photo I took of a family.

Fam by TomOlson, on Flickr

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Just walking around Fanime with an obnoxiously large lens

5D3_1404-Edit by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_1253-Edit by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_1827 by capacity4action, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

bisticles posted:

I love it, it's such a glimpse-at-a-moment, and the way the colors work is just amazing. Her posing and expression seems a little... lifeless, but perhaps that fits in more with the overall feel than anything else. Is the writing in the windows your doing, or was that already there?

Thanks! The writing on the car was already there. It was an abandoned truck, but not in an abandoned area. So there was plenty of writing on it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

RangerScum posted:

This is a photo I took of a family.

Nice! Good job of balancing the exposures.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Nice! Good job of balancing the exposures.

Only one exposure!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

RangerScum posted:

Only one exposure!

Oh, I meant ambient and flash.

theloafingone
Mar 8, 2006
no images are allowed, only text

Duckjob posted:

Just walking around Fanime with an obnoxiously large lens

How was it in terms of setting up shots due to the amount of space (or rather, lack thereof)?
I can imagine that even if people were posing for you, that it would have been difficult to line up a shot due to the amount of people just walking through.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices

theloafingone posted:

How was it in terms of setting up shots due to the amount of space (or rather, lack thereof)?
I can imagine that even if people were posing for you, that it would have been difficult to line up a shot due to the amount of people just walking through.

It's pretty difficult but somehow you can find a small crevice between people in front of you to take a quick shot. You just have to dial in all the setting prior and look for an open spot and hope for the best. The minimum focus distance wasn't too bad and im not that far away so its just the matter of finding the right timing. I didn't have anyone pose for me this time since running and gunning is the only way to shoot with a supertele in this situation.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I went to one of those once and even though just about anyone will pose for you, the place is swarming with other photographers.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Met up with my friends and shot them for fun.

Weilun by alkanphel, on Flickr

Jay by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

*Accidental double post

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Could anyone point me in the direction of any guides on taking good headshots?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That really depends on what you have in mind as being a good headshot.

Point a camera at a head that's nicely lit. Be sure to try various expressions like smile and frown.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Adequate lighting and an interesting looking subject would probably be your best bet.

There's no golden rule, just play around and see what works.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Thoogsby posted:

Could anyone point me in the direction of any guides on taking good headshots?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe3oJnFtA_k

This guy is pretty good.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Studying by s d photo, on Flickr

Quick portrait taken finishing up a a roll of Tri-x 400 pushed to 3200.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

He sells a lot of crap but this bit of free advice is truly useful. It's basically 'myspace angles' but it's effective and flattering

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC6894 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Messing about with my new lens and its patented "vaseline vision".

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I went to the renaissance faire on my trip to Lake Tahoe. I had a pic of the green knight in a similar pose but with his hair flying in the wind... but I cut off the horse. I was trying to blur out the background as much as possible because chain link fences in olden days? I think not!

Jousting! by sulakkalus, on Flickr

The Maidens (Wenches?) That Wanted But Did Not Receive a Flower by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Also took a couple pictures of my friend during a party. This was taken after sunset; I'm really pleased with the high ISO capability of the 6D.

Portrait of a Friend by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Portrait of a Friend 2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

I've got some others that I'll also post just haven't had an opportunity to upload them to my Flickr.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Drewski posted:

I was trying to blur out the background as much as possible because chain link fences in olden days? I think not!

They didn't have cameras either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

try it with a lime posted:

They didn't have cameras either.

He painted it really fast okay