Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

JetsGuy posted:

I ended up springing for a 3 month pass my rink offers. $125 for unlimited sesssions (stick & puck, free skate and pick-up hockey) for 3 months! I fully plan on taking advantage of it and going more often. Ice time is expensive, but I can really squeeze my money's worth out of that.

I don't know what the prices for stick/open/etc are in your area, but as long as you go at least once a week, you will match the price. Good to hear you are already improving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Hockles posted:

I don't know what the prices for stick/open/etc are in your area, but as long as you go at least once a week, you will match the price. Good to hear you are already improving!

$7 for free skate, $10 for stick and puck / pickup.

I did the same math in my head, once a week = breaking about even. So I plan on doing more than that and getting my money's worth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a really sweet deal for all that you get out of it.

I pay roughly the same and it's a pretty firm "2 hours a week and that's it." But a famous NHL name is attached to the rink so it comes with an obligatory bump in price.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

xzzy posted:

But a famous NHL name is attached to the rink so it comes with an obligatory bump in price.

Don Cherry?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

But a famous NHL name is attached to the rink so it comes with an obligatory bump in price.

Peter Worrell?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

I ended up springing for a 3 month pass my rink offers. $125 for unlimited sesssions (stick & puck, free skate and pick-up hockey) for 3 months! I fully plan on taking advantage of it and going more often. Ice time is expensive, but I can really squeeze my money's worth out of that.

This is a drat good deal. I normally spend at least $15 a week on stick time/pickup. Stick time is $8 for 1.5 hours and pickup is $7-$10 for 2 hours.

I wish places in Pittsburgh had a pass like that; I'd equal the cost in like a month. Which is probably why it'll never happen here.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
So after last nights game..

The back and side of my knee hurt and it hurts to walk/move it around..

What is wrong?

Nick Papagiorgio
Oct 4, 2011

poser posted:

What is wrong?

Inside or outside of the knee? Could be ACL, MCL, or meniscus sprain.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

poser posted:

What is wrong?

I always felt like this after long ruck marches. For a few days afterwards the backs of my knees would hurt like hell. I think it came from having weight further back than usual and then having to dig into the sand with my toes. I dunno, maybe some similar action can happen from skating?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My knees will frequently feel "weak" after a long skate.. they don't really hurt, but they just don't seem like they wanna hold my weight quite right. I wouldn't say it's in the back of the knee either, it's deep in the joint. I just assume it's because my knee isn't used to holding my weight with the leg bent for long periods.

Point being, I don't think actual knee pain where it's painful to walk would be a normal thing. It might just be tight tendons/muscles recovering but it could also be an injury.

I know I'm kind of gimpy for a day or so after doing calf lifts at the gym.. so hopefully that's all it is for you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

"lower body injury"

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

What is wrong?

Only an ortho can tell you. RICE it. If it goes away, you'll be fine to skate again. If it doesn't, don't skate on it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Been on vacation for the past 2 weeks and have missed 5 games. I can't get back on the ice soon enough.

My Bronze team jerks ruined our undefeated record while I was gone, and my Silver team won their first game of the season. Not sure what that says about me.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Second clinic today, actually was able to do some of the obstacle courses (slowly) without falling. I couldn't do the awesome 180 hockey turn (I can't yet even hockey stop), but I was at least a lot more comfortable on the blades. The hard part for me in clinic is I'm doing a million new things at once (like trying to keep the puck as I'm trying to skate). I can slow plow stop fairly reliably now, I'll probably try to hockey stop and maybe even skate backwards soon.

The small of my back hurts like a motherfucker about 30 minutes in. One of my fellow skaters showed me some good stretches to do on the ice. I gotta get to a gym and get back into back hyperextensions. In addition, I actually am getting used to keeping my knees bent, I am amazed at just how much more control I get.

I also think I may be crazy, because I sometimes feel like I have *more* balance going faster. If only I could stop as good going fast.

Look Around You posted:

This is a drat good deal. I normally spend at least $15 a week on stick time/pickup. Stick time is $8 for 1.5 hours and pickup is $7-$10 for 2 hours.

I wish places in Pittsburgh had a pass like that; I'd equal the cost in like a month. Which is probably why it'll never happen here.

It's a strange combination of there only being two rinks nearby (the other being a half hour drive), and there not being a lot of hockey/figure skaters in the area. It helps that there's a *lot* of displaced people where I live in AL.

e: if my selfish updates are annoying, I'll stop. :shobon:

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Got some GoPro footage at pickup on Saturday but I'm really bad at editing video and I haven't had more than twenty minutes to sit down at the computer this week to mess with it. The refs don't let me wear it during league games. :saddowns:

JetsGuy posted:

e: if my selfish updates are annoying, I'll stop. :shobon:

I'm actually enjoying keeping up with your progress! Keep it up. That's what the thread is here for!

StyleFresh fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 30, 2012

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

The last of my equipment is scheduled for delivery today. I'm going to be "that guy" in brand new stuff.

Adult refresher class starts Sunday and I'm so god drat pumped. 45 minutes of practice with a 30 minute scrimmage at the end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mintskoal posted:

The last of my equipment is scheduled for delivery today. I'm going to be "that guy" in brand new stuff.

I hated that period. First few weeks after I got all my pads just about everyone had to make some comment about how shiny I looked.

I just fired back asking if they were jealous and most of them got all :smith: and skated off.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

I hated that period. First few weeks after I got all my pads just about everyone had to make some comment about how shiny I looked.

I just fired back asking if they were jealous and most of them got all :smith: and skated off.

Ha, I wish I had time to break them in a bit before the class starts. My dear mother got me a bunch of gift certificates to the local hockey shop (thanks mom!) so I went kind of all out.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

StyleFresh posted:

I'm actually enjoying keeping up with your progress! Keep it up. That's what the thread is here for!

:unsmith:

xzzy posted:

Hey man, got some sock tape?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, and I charge by the foot.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

mintskoal posted:

Adult refresher class starts Sunday and I'm so god drat pumped. 45 minutes of practice with a 30 minute scrimmage at the end.

You and me both! My new gear should be here any day now.

Good news is the people I will initially skate with are my buddies from work, so its no biggie.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
And now, bask in how much of an rear end in a top hat I look like in my gear.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, I think with mere black stick tape you aren't pushing it quite as far as you could be.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

I don't know, I think with mere black stick tape you aren't pushing it quite as far as you could be.

You'll pry my friction tape out of my cold, dead gloves.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Topoisomerase posted:

I have some of those Reebok velcro straps but have given up using them because apparently my calves are tiny with my shinguards and they simply can't get tight enough to hold my shinguards up properly.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Topoisomerase posted:

needs more neon-colored laces

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

What the heck kinda smooth helmet is that.

Also how do people play without suspenders on their pants. How do your pants stay up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My pants stay up just fine, the waist has a cinch that you tighten after putting them on. Works super great!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Pleads posted:

Also how do people play without suspenders on their pants. How do your pants stay up.

SAS Gear Poll says it's a RBK 8K.

My pants stay up fine with the waist belt thing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Weird.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I used to use the belt in my pants, but recently switched to using suspenders and man does it feel a lot better. Before I'd have to get my pants really loving tight just to stay up and I didn't realize until I had the suspenders on how uncomfortable it really feels.

For those of you who haven't tried it I highly suggest that you try to borrow some suspenders if you know someone who has a pair cause it really does feel better when you're out there playing.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

My dad and I last year, I have different gloves and I dont wear that helmet anymore though.

Back to the Bauer 4500, the one true hockey helmet.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

D C posted:

Back to the Bauer 4500, the one true hockey helmet.

:hfive: One of the few helmets that fits my Macy's Day float sized head.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Thufir posted:

needs more neon-colored laces

I used to have bright pink ones that matched my gloves and hair (before it faded) but USA Hockey requires officials to wear white laces. Cramping my style for $$. :(

Pleads posted:

You actually can't fully appreciate the color of the helmet in that picture - it's plum (purple). :v:

And my pants stay up because tying and cinching them around my waist means they won't fall down over my hips and butt because I am an adult woman wearing junior pants made for youth boys. v:shobon:v

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 30, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Only somewhat related: I went out to buy a bicycle helmet over the weekend, and the guy helping me grabbed an XL to, in his words, "just get an idea what size is appropriate for you and we'll go from there." This was after me warning him I have an enormous cranium.

He pops it on, and is all "wow.. so, uh, that barely fits. but it looks like it's okay and that's good because we don't have anything bigger."

Same thing happened with my hockey helmet, I started at one end of the aisle and went all the way down to the end trying progressively bigger helmets until finally a CCM helmet fit.. but only when it was expanded as large as it would go.

Too bad a giant head doesn't award me with any additional intelligence.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

I have a big god drat head too and that's the one I got. :unsmith:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Does your HUD display the location of the puck at all times, or only when threatened by a hostile entity?

--

Anywhooo....

Headed to the orthopedic surgeon on Monday to see about the status of my knee. Already had to withdraw from summer session. Wish me luck :smithicide:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

Is that hair or did HZ unravel his stickblade on the back of your neck?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Too bad a giant head doesn't award me with any additional intelligence.

:smug: It did for me...

Oh wait, I am playing the hardest of sports and I was always mediocre at sports. At least I didn't suck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Dangerllama posted:

Headed to the orthopedic surgeon on Monday to see about the status of my knee. Already had to withdraw from summer session. Wish me luck :smithicide:

I was able to skate this weekend without much pain, but now that I've been resting it for two days it hurts more then it did the first day.

Gonna maybe see a dr when I get back to Canada if it's still hurting in a week or so.