Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

They were pretty dope back in May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DO they still play anything from Eve :shobon:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Giant Squid broke up, which is a huge bummer but totally understandable because they made no money and have families.

NooooOOOoooo I only discovered them recently! :negative:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

DO they still play anything from Eve :shobon:

When I saw them they basically played the new album + two or three older songs. None from Eve.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
drat, that's a real bummer about Giant Squid. They were a favorite of mine :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

When I saw them they basically played the new album + two or three older songs. None from Eve.

Nooooooo

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Does anyone know if Inter Arma plays anything from the Destroyer EP, particularly Wailing Moon, live? Or is it just stuff from Sky Burial/The Cavern? Seeing them tomorrow and can't find a setlist online.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

So this is me friday til sunday: http://www.desertfest.be/line-up

:getin:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

Does anyone know if Inter Arma plays anything from the Destroyer EP, particularly Wailing Moon, live? Or is it just stuff from Sky Burial/The Cavern? Seeing them tomorrow and can't find a setlist online.

Just Sky Burial and the Cavern both times I've seen them (which were admittedly tours in support of Sky Burial and The Cavern).

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Just Sky Burial and the Cavern both times I've seen them (which were admittedly tours in support of Sky Burial and The Cavern).

Well that's cool. I'll get to see Long Road Home hopefully and 'Sblood, which will be amazing.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
They played Long Road Home when I saw them in April in Boston. It was amazing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing new stuff, since they've been recording for the next album.

Edit: I also remember overhearing the vocalist say they change their setlist every night.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 8, 2015

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Well Inter Arma was amazing last night. Blew me away, they were absolutely crushing. Kylesa was fantastic as well, great set list. Shaping the Southern Sky was incredible live. Indian Handcrafts and Irata were great as well.

Winston Chill
Aug 24, 2008

Fine and dandy.

nosophoros posted:

So this is me friday til sunday: http://www.desertfest.be/line-up

:getin:

That's one hell of a line-up, may need to consider traveling there next year.

There's also a new With the Dead track out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yN8DbTYANo

In other news, I'm stoked about seeing Ufomammut and 40 Watt Sun among others next weekend.

Winston Chill fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 9, 2015

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Winston Chill posted:

The whole album is really good. Ramesses meets early Electric Wizard, with Lee Dorrian delivering his best performance in many years. I assume they'll be playing at Roadburn 2016, since Dorrian is curating, and it's going to be immense.

Unrelated; call me pretentious, but I'm very excited for this:

Sunn O))) posted:

Composed in the aftershadow of SUNN O)))'s most recent successes in immersive collaboration -- the group having worked with Scott Walker on Soused, and Ulver on Terrestrials in 2013 and 2014 -- and also from the broad and influential wake of their epitomic Monoliths & Dimensions, Kannon emerged both independently as a conceptual entity and with roots in the legacies of those projects, yet was fully realized years later in 2015. The album consists of three pieces of a triadic whole: "Kannon 1, 2 and 3."
The album celebrates many SUNN O))) traditions; Kannon was recorded and mixed with SUNN O)))'s close colleague and co-producer Randall Dunn in Seattle, in Studio Litho, Aleph and Avast!, and the LP includes performances by long term allies and collaborators Attila Csihar, Oren Ambarchi, Rex Ritter, and Steve Moore to name a few. At the core, the composition centers around the dynamic and intense guitar and bass interplay of SUNN O)))'s founders: Stephen O'Malley & Greg Anderson.
It is possibly the most figurative album SUNN O))) has created, which is unusual as they usually dwell in layers of abstraction and subjectivity. On the other hand the album is the most outright "metal" in years, drawing personal associations and memories of cherished albums like Panzerfaust and Twilight Of The Gods again to the forefront of consciousness. Kannon is also very close to the cyclical character of mantra which the band has evolved into as a living creature, the enormity of intense sensate detail and manifestation of the live in concert element of SUNN O))), the organism that has flourished, metamorphosed and transcended tremendously over the past ten years.
The literal representation of Kannon is as an aspect of Buddha: specifically "goddess of mercy" or "Perceiving the Sounds (or Cries) of the World." She is also sometimes commonly known as the Guanyin Bodhisattva (Chinese: 觀音菩薩) amongst a plurality of other forms. There is a rich lineage behind this idea tracing back through many Asian belief systems, with as many names and cultural personifications of the idea.
SUNN O))) commissioned critical theorist Aliza Shvartz to write text and liner notes around these ideas and topics. She also explores the relations and perceptions to their approach to these ideas via the metonym of music and SUNN O)))'s place/approach within the framework of music and metal overall. The band also enlisted Swiss designer/artist Angela LaFont Bollinger to create the cover artwork, an abstracted sculpture of vision of Kannon. French photographer Estelle Hanania captures portraits of the core trio (Csihar, Anderson, O'Malley) in the impressive and obscurant Emanuel Vingeland mausoleum in Oslo.
Kannon will be available on gatefold LP, CD and digital formats worldwide on December 4th, with a limited number of white vinyl available on Black Friday RSD, Friday, November 27th.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
No shame in being pumped for new Sunn O))) stuff. Every record of theirs is a treasure.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

M&D is in the pantheon of top albums for me. Can't wait for a new proper album.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Spirit Caravan and Elder rolling through Milwaukee next month. Excited for that.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

M&D is in the pantheon of top albums for me. Can't wait for a new proper album.

Same, M&D is so goddamn good.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Elder owns bones. Peep these dates and get your rear end to a show if you can.

Edit: Wow timg made that tiny.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Detective Thompson posted:

Elder owns bones. Peep these dates and get your rear end to a show if you can.

Edit: Wow timg made that tiny.

and Earthless holy poo poo I never thought they'd make it to my town

edit haha I can't read no Earthless at my shithole. gently caress. gently caress.

yoober fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 15, 2015

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Winston Chill posted:

I like this. Actually reminds me of Kosmodemonic, especially the vocal parts.
https://kosmodemonic.bandcamp.com/album/chapel-perilous-ep

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I don't know if this poo poo has been posted, but Consular apparently released their latest on vinyl at some point. Check em out, it's real good stuff.

https://consular.bandcamp.com/album/allapattah-blues

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im seeing Elder and Earthless in just over a week :smug:

btw Any Queensland doom guys I have a ticket to that show that I dont need, if anyone wants it at a discounted price let me know and I can transfer it. I ended up freeing up the time to get to my local (sydney) show.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Earthless will ruin your poo poo. They're all individually great musicians, but the most impressive thing about them is their ability to play together. The way they effortlessly change tempos is absolutely mindblowing.

This was their set in Vancouver:

Uluru Rock
Violence of the Red Sea
Sonic Prayer/jam
encore: Cherry Red

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 16, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I thought that the caravan slipped away and that The Hidden Hand was here to stay? What happened to the naysayers? :ohdear:

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Crosspost from the Metal thread:

Nordick posted:

Yes, definitely a thing.

Here's another thing: New Jess & the Ancient Ones single!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGQ4tDgjV7o

Spoiler: It's really loving good.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Anybody know if that With the Dead album that dropped today is available digitally? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

Hulk Krogan posted:

Anybody know if that With the Dead album that dropped today is available digitally? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
It's on Spotify and iTunes.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

:doh: I use Google Music so I never think to check either of those.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Hulk Krogan posted:

:doh: I use Google Music so I never think to check either of those.

I see it on Google Music.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I see it now too, but it definitely wasn't there this morning.

Anyway, album rules.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Milwaukee doom.

https://conquerorwormmetal.bandcamp.com/album/demo

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Just got my tickets for CoC and Brant Bjork in NYC.

Also seeing The Sword the same week. :black101:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Right on thanks!
Edit: Let's at least post their name properly: The Conqueror Worm
This is a solid "demo".

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 20, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Right on thanks!
Edit: Let's at least post their name properly: The Conqueror Worm
This is a solid "demo".

Furthermore, for fans of: Candlemass, Cathedral, Solitude Aeturnus

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

If anyone needs a ticket for Windhand/Monolord/Danava at Gramercy tomorrow night, I have an extra.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Entire new Space Bong album is streaming

http://www.cvltnation.com/cvlt-nation-premiere-streaming-space-bong-deadwood-to-worms/

it's loving great

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wow this is great.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm not going to listen to a band called Space Bong.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

A human heart posted:

I'm not going to listen to a band called Space Bong.

Yeah I mean I get it, but you're missing a lot of good music in this genre doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The genre does have a profound lack of band name creativity.