Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

priznat posted:

What's the best Python development environment on OSX? Xcode + use PDB for debugging?

I use textmate or vim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Binary Badger posted:

How did you get the Lion CD? Did you create it from the disc image? Did you use GUID partition format on the SSD? Folder icon says EFI can't find a bootable device or partition.

Yes, I created it from the image like this. The disc wasn't GUID, but it is now and I still seem to be having the same problem, with the folder icon after I've clicked to use the Lion DVD. Any ideas?

Edit: I think it's an issue with the install media. On a whim I put the Snow Leopard disc in and that's working, so I'll install that and then upgrade.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 11, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

priznat posted:

What's the best Python development environment on OSX? Xcode + use PDB for debugging?

You get all the classic Unix text editors if you want them.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm pretty new to macs and I'm trying to understand the logic behind the way OSX handles the full-screen button when you have more than 1 monitor. I have 2 monitors, and I frequently used to full-screen a movie on the left, while doing other things on the right monitor. With Lion apparently that's not possible, because when I full screen a movie, the other screen will only show me this canvas-looking screen. I have to exit full screen to get use of the 2nd monitor. This seems a little ridiculous given how hard they're pushing those thunderbolt secondary monitors for their laptops.

How can I get rid of this "feature" and be able to use my 2nd monitor while the other monitor is in full-screen mode?

If you use the fullscreen function of VLC or MplayerX (hit apple-f) they will still let you use the other monitor, but the canvas thing is still dumb.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So this is kind of cool. There are two settings in the Desktop & Screen Saver preference pane:

If you go into that preference pane from your primary Mission Control desktop, and check both of them, as shown above, every time you add a new desktop to the lineup it gets a random wallpaper chosen for it:

You can, of course, change the frequency setting to something more appropriate to your tastes.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

If you use the fullscreen function of VLC or MplayerX (hit apple-f) they will still let you use the other monitor, but the canvas thing is still dumb.

Alright yeah I got it to work with VLC. I unchecked the setting "Use the native fullscreen mode on OS X Lion" in the interface settings tab, then in the video settings tab I selected which monitor should show the full screen video. It works pretty well now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fren posted:

So this is kind of cool. There are two settings in the Desktop & Screen Saver preference pane:

If you go into that preference pane from your primary Mission Control desktop, and check both of them, as shown above, every time you add a new desktop to the lineup it gets a random wallpaper chosen for it:

You can, of course, change the frequency setting to something more appropriate to your tastes.

Where did you get those wallpapers?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Lexicon posted:

I'm sure this was discussed to death when Lion first came out, so apologies, but how the hell do I get Lion to treat trackpad input as natural scrolling while keeping the mouse wheel direction sane? Apparently these settings move in tandem, and I really want them opposite. Failing a magic command line setting, is there a utility out there that will accomplish this?

USB Overdrive does this for free, too. Just switch the directions on the Mouse Wheel Up/Down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Boris Galerkin posted:

Where did you get those wallpapers?

The fantastic InterfaceLift: http://interfacelift.com/ They have some sort of system where the uploaders provide a high quality version, and it creates all the different resolutions for desktops and mobile devices. I like having photography as wallpaper backgrounds. (If anyone cares, I recommend the twin sites poolga and tseventy for iPhone/iPad stuff)

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Love InterfaceLift, another wallpaper source I love is Wallbase

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I hardly ever work just on my laptop - usually I'm setup at a workstation, using a separate mouse and keyboard, so having it actually on my lap is rare. Anyway, I'm working on my lap right now and twice in the last ten minutes I've done some motherfucking keyboard combination that resets all my desktop icons to 16x16, which is really, really small and completely messes up my life workflow.

What am I doing, so I can avoid it in the future?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I've finished my import from iPhoto into Aperture and have been cleaning poo poo up. One important annoyance to note: Aperture does not set the key photo of your iPhoto events as the key photo for the projects it makes from those events. And I'd just gone through each event an set key photos yesterday.

On a positive note, I'm not experiencing (so far) all the slowness and other Lion-related fuckups indicated in the many one-star reviews on the App Store.

Now, since the Aperture sidebar (err, "Inspector") cannot sort by date (WTF), I'm forced to use "keep arranged by name" include the date at the beginning my project titles. With nearly 300 of them that was going to be a huge pain in the rear end to do manually so I wrote a script. I'll include the script here just in case anyone else finds it useful. Please note the script will add the date in YYYY-MM-DD format to EVERY project (Aperture does not provide a way to get the current sidebar selection and I didn't really need that feature anyway), though it's smart enough to skip those that are already dated in the proper format. Also, for multi-day projects you'll obviously only get one date (probably dependent on your sort setting in Aperture but I don't know).

code:
tell application "Aperture"
	activate
	set allProjects to every project
	repeat with i from 1 to count of allProjects
		set theProject to item i of allProjects
		set oldName to name of theProject
		if (my date_missing(oldName)) then
			set theImages to image versions of theProject
			if (count of theImages) is greater than 0 then
				set firstPicture to item 1 of theImages
				set theDate to value of EXIF tag "ImageDate" of firstPicture
				set newName to my date_format(theDate) & " " & oldName
				set name of theProject to newName
			end if
		end if
	end repeat
end tell

to date_missing(title)
	if (count of title) &#8805; 10 then
		set potentialDate to text 1 thru 10 of title
		set tryDate to my find_date(potentialDate)
		if (tryDate is not "") then
			return false
		end if
	end if
	return true
end date_missing

to date_format(old_date)
	set {year:y, month:m, day:d} to old_date
	tell (y * 10000 + m * 100 + d) as string to text 1 thru 4 & "-" & text 5 thru 6 & "-" & text 7 thru 8
end date_format

on find_date(theString)
	set returnValue to ""
	set newDate to (current date)
	set savedDelimeters to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {"-", ".", "/", ":"}
	if (count of text items of theString) is 3 then
		set {newDate's year, newDate's month, newDate's day} to (every text item of theString)
		set returnValue to newDate
	end if
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to savedDelimeters
	return returnValue
end find_date

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jackpot posted:

I hardly ever work just on my laptop - usually I'm setup at a workstation, using a separate mouse and keyboard, so having it actually on my lap is rare. Anyway, I'm working on my lap right now and twice in the last ten minutes I've done some motherfucking keyboard combination that resets all my desktop icons to 16x16, which is really, really small and completely messes up my life workflow.

What am I doing, so I can avoid it in the future?
Maybe pinch zoom?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Nah the printer actually has drivers that download when you plug it into a network connected Mac, right from Apple. The problem is that this particular Mac isn't on the network.

the bigger problem is samsung printers are terrible. I have *never* had a laser printer that has crapped out as quickly as my samsung. My old appletalk laser printer (That retired only when it became impossible to get third party toners for it) lasted > 10 years , and my office has an old HP laser printer that would easily be close to twenty years old and still PC LOAD LETTERing like a champ. My samsung mechanically shat itself 6 months after I brought. Laser printers are not supposed to do that.

Pro-tip: Brother laser printers are built like loving fortresses and are samsung cheap.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

duck monster posted:

the bigger problem is samsung printers are terrible. I have *never* had a laser printer that has crapped out as quickly as my samsung. My old appletalk laser printer (That retired only when it became impossible to get third party toners for it) lasted > 10 years , and my office has an old HP laser printer that would easily be close to twenty years old and still PC LOAD LETTERing like a champ. My samsung mechanically shat itself 6 months after I brought. Laser printers are not supposed to do that.

Pro-tip: Brother laser printers are built like loving fortresses and are samsung cheap.

Aw yeah no doubt. I would switch to all HP if it were up to me. The lab has another colour Samsung laser that I have to basically vacuum every month or so because its waste toner collection mechanism is so loving terrible and might as well dump spare toner directly into the printer's inner gears.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

duck monster posted:

While they are good quality, fast, and small, I only recommend them for light use. Every $89 Brother printer I've given to special snowflakes that need their own printer always craps out, and then I replace it with a $250 HP printer and never hear from them again. Well, except when they need the toner changed. Of course, these are people in an office environment who are printing > 500 pages a week.

I also don't like the fact that the Brother drum and toner are both user replaceable. Confuses the users and ends up being more expensive.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

While they are good quality, fast, and small, I only recommend them for light use. Every $89 Brother printer I've given to special snowflakes that need their own printer always craps out, and then I replace it with a $250 HP printer and never hear from them again. Well, except when they need the toner changed. Of course, these are people in an office environment who are printing > 500 pages a week.

I also don't like the fact that the Brother drum and toner are both user replaceable. Confuses the users and ends up being more expensive.

For personal use you can't beat the Brother Lasers, but for office environments I really like Kyocera.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

I used to recommend the HP LaserJet 1012, which used to go for $180-200 new. Apparently it's been replaced with the HP LaserJet 1102w, which is a wireless version and has a street price of $160 or so. $99 and below if you go for refurbished. Probably worth it as I have noticed the quality of parts go down with evolving models, esp. the 1102.

Seems HP got wise to people buying low end printers, and they've reduced the toner in the carts. HP 1012-1015 carts got 2,000 pages, the new 1102 carts only have capacity for 1,600.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

I used to recommend the HP LaserJet 1012, which used to go for $180-200 new. .

I have this printer and a single toner lasted me through 4 years of school and other printing needs. Bought a replacement toner off of Amazon for like $25. It was the best printer purchase ever.

E:except when vista came out and there were no drivers for like 10 months. That kind of sucked.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What would be the easiest way to put IE on a Mac, for an IT bitch who knows nothing about Macs? A webapp we use only works in IE and an employee is working from home today with his Mac and can't do anything.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Sab669 posted:

What would be the easiest way to put IE on a Mac, for an IT bitch who knows nothing about Macs? A webapp we use only works in IE and an employee is working from home today with his Mac and can't do anything.

Parallels or VMware fusion with a windows virtual machine. But you'll need a license for the virtual machine. And it's not something he can really do - more something you'd have to do for future dates.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, further looking into it I see that :psyduck:

How hard is it to set up Wine? I found this thing called Wine Bottler and based off this YouTube tutorial it looks relatively simple, but even still I don't really 'get' how you put IE on there to launch through Wine.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You could also let her RDP into a box and run IE that way. Vmware will be the fastest option though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, I just shot him an email with the IP address.

What's the difference from just VMWare and VMWare Fusion? I'm a software guy / student and we don't really ever touch virtualization as such so I don't know much about it :(

e; Oh is it just the Mac version of VMWare?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

I used to recommend the HP LaserJet 1012, which used to go for $180-200 new. Apparently it's been replaced with the HP LaserJet 1102w, which is a wireless version and has a street price of $160 or so. $99 and below if you go for refurbished. Probably worth it as I have noticed the quality of parts go down with evolving models, esp. the 1102.

Seems HP got wise to people buying low end printers, and they've reduced the toner in the carts. HP 1012-1015 carts got 2,000 pages, the new 1102 carts only have capacity for 1,600.
I go for the 2035 (?) and I thought it sucked that they only put 3,000 pages worth in there.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I really hope the reason you're putting IE on a Mac is for web dev work :colbert:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sab669 posted:

VirtualBox but then you need a Windows license...RDP is the way to go if you can.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

butts! posted:

I really hope the reason you're putting IE on a Mac is for web dev work :colbert:

Our CRM is web-based that only works in IE :smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does OS X just wildly allocate RAM if it's available? I can load pretty much the same apps on 2 different machines, one has 2GB the other 4GB (one is also SL the other Lion) and one shows 2200MB used and the other shows 1100MB used.

I'm not sperging about memory usage but I just wonder if it's going to use more memory solely because it can, or does Lion just allocate more RAM.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Yea, I just shot him an email with the IP address.

What's the difference from just VMWare and VMWare Fusion? I'm a software guy / student and we don't really ever touch virtualization as such so I don't know much about it :(

e; Oh is it just the Mac version of VMWare?

VMware is the company, there's no real "VMware" product. I don't mean to be pedantic about it but it's an important distinction :)

But yes, we all know what you meant and VMware Fusion is VMware's virtualization software that runs on OSX. Essentially a (somewhat stripped down) version of VMware Workstation that you can run on Win/Lin platforms :)

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Bob Morales posted:

Does OS X just wildly allocate RAM if it's available? I can load pretty much the same apps on 2 different machines, one has 2GB the other 4GB (one is also SL the other Lion) and one shows 2200MB used and the other shows 1100MB used.

I'm not sperging about memory usage but I just wonder if it's going to use more memory solely because it can, or does Lion just allocate more RAM.

Free RAM is wasted RAM. Every bit that is storing something potentially useful is better than a bit that contains nothing useful.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

But yes, we all know what you meant and VMware Fusion is VMware's virtualization software that runs on OSX. Essentially a (somewhat stripped down) version of VMware Workstation that you can run on Win/Lin platforms :)

It's also pretty swank. Unity is a pretty cool feature if you keep your VM running constantly.

Sab669 posted:

Our CRM is web-based that only works in IE :smith:

I am so sorry.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

priznat posted:

I use SlickEdit, it just had a native OSX version come out (earlier versions ran in Java similar to Eclipse) and does pretty much everything. I use it for Lua and PHP mostly but pretty sure it has Python debugger support.

http://www.slickedit.com/products/slickedit-for-mac

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

butts! posted:

It's also pretty swank. Unity is a pretty cool feature if you keep your VM running constantly.

I am so sorry.

I wonder if somewhere there are some sick bastards using some CRM that only works with Netscape 4

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Don't ever work for a Korean company, then. The Korean government made all of its mandatory-for-citizens online apps IE ActiveX controls, so pretty much every Korean web app is IE only now. Yes, it's as painful as it sounds.

http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/...rce=twitterfeed

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
South Korea: The North Korea of IT

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

HP Quality Center is another big software package (for testing / bug tracking) that is ActiveX / IE only. Was kinda shocked to run into that.

Makes you appreciate that at least Java stuff works on multiple browsers and OS.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

HP drivers have sucked since the dawn of time but HP laser printers are indestructible, especially the older ones. My daily driver is a Laserjet 4P. I have a script that sets the display to say 666 REDRUM when it's idle because I have no imagination.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Yea, further looking into it I see that :psyduck:

How hard is it to set up Wine? I found this thing called Wine Bottler and based off this YouTube tutorial it looks relatively simple, but even still I don't really 'get' how you put IE on there to launch through Wine.

You can set up Wine through Macports and then it's just a matter of issuing wine path/to/executable.exe from the terminal. But it might be a lot to ask of your employee to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Okay, so now I'm installing Lion. Why the hell does the app store not ask you to confirm your CC No.? I mean, I had the right card no. and all, but still. I was slightly panicked for a bit, hoping it didn't have the wrong one.

That seems like a pretty basic step.

Anyway, after I install Lion, what sort of basic steps are there, assuming I am a curmudgeon and hate change?
So far I have 1) scrolling 2) the restore thing 3) figure out what they did to spaces.

Am I missing anything?