Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Hey I like my vroom vroom show too but you need serious mental help if you think Clarkson should have kept his job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the fact that you people are saying he should not have lost his job for 'just throwing a punch' when that is a drastic understatement of what actually happened is really cute. if he just 'threw a punch' you might have a point, instead of getting into an excessively long confrontation and assaulting the guy to the point where bystanders had to intervene to get him to stop, all over something that wasn't even the fault of the guy he was assaulting.

stop oversimplifying poo poo to try and justify why your favorite host of your funny car show got shitcanned.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think you understand, that show makes a profit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cubey posted:

the fact that you people are saying he should not have lost his job for 'just throwing a punch' when that is a drastic understatement of what actually happened is really cute. if he just 'threw a punch' you might have a point, instead of getting into an excessively long confrontation and assaulting the guy to the point where bystanders had to intervene to get him to stop, all over something that wasn't even the fault of the guy he was assaulting.

stop oversimplifying poo poo to try and justify why your favorite host of your funny car show got shitcanned.

Looks like you broke your shift key while pounding on the keyboard.

You're also oversimplifying the arguments that counter the arguments you claim are being oversimplified.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I always thought The Guardian were exaggerating when they said Top Gear mostly appealed to cavemen. Clarkson's sacking has proved them right I guess.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Cubey posted:

This. I'd agree with it being dumb if it was just two people arguing and a drunk guy throwing a punch, but it wasn't. Clarkson spent 20 minutes verbally abusing the guy before physically attacking him.

I'd have preferred it if they just shook hands and made up, but if Tymon, or anyone else on the crew for that matter, were unwilling to work with him anymore, then Clarkson should be the one to go.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

triple clutcher posted:

I just want James May to have more chances to be James May in front of a camera. :(

I would love to see more Man Lab or Toy Stories.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

meatpimp posted:

Looks like you broke your shift key while pounding on the keyboard.

You're also oversimplifying the arguments that counter the arguments you claim are being oversimplified.

is this really the best you got? bitch, please.

the guy went way being being his normal rear end in a top hat self into deranged sociopath territory. he threw a goddamn baby fit and assaulted someone for the horrible crime of not having warm food because he spent so long at a bar that the chef had gone home. if you are defending this man, you are hosed in the head.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Cubey posted:

is this really the best you got? bitch, please.

the guy went way being being his normal rear end in a top hat self into deranged sociopath territory. he threw a goddamn baby fit and assaulted someone for the horrible crime of not having warm food because he spent so long at a bar that the chef had gone home. if you are defending this man, you are hosed in the head.

Uhm, I reiterate: The show was making a profit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mister Kingdom posted:

I would love to see more Man Lab or Toy Stories.

Honestly, I loved the poo poo out of "Oz and James' Big Wine Adventures" and "Oz and James Drink to Britain." They should make another one of those, if they can find a cool place to do it in.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I mean really the cognitive dissonance required to claim, 'But the employees!' so you can defend a guy who loving assaulted an employee.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I propose Top Gear: Black Adder

Atkinson, Fry, and Laurie

"I believe you'll find this new Ferrari to be rather frasmotic in the corners. But it's just the ticket for a weekend of velocitous extramuralisation."

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Can we trade the silly contrived American culture wars for the silly contrived British culture wars? Yours seem much more fun.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Enough with the political crap. And to whoever posted it, yes this is (was) a show for cavemen, for boys being boys, and all that other stuff.

But the real issue, which I haven't seen brought up, is this. What will happen to poor Stiggy? Some say he will be stripped down for spare parts, and that the rest will end up in the warehouse from the Indiana Jones movies. All we know, is that he is unemployed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ariza posted:

Everyone who has posted more than 10 times in the last 48 hours: go jump in a river or lie down in the street somewhere. The world will be a better place without you here.

Thanks for your awesome contribution, scholar!

Chris Knight posted:

"I believe you'll find this new Ferrari to be rather frasmotic in the corners. But it's just the ticket for a weekend of velocitous extramuralisation."

Seriously, its the perfect combo.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'll miss the cheap car challenges. Who will run into James' car now?

:ohdear: I want more of James May's 20th Century

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 26, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

CommieGIR posted:

Thanks for your awesome contribution, scholar!

Seriously, its the perfect combo.

:ohdear: I want more of James May's 20th Century

I want more james and oz summer holidays

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Oz and James Go Somewhere and Drink More Things

pls.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

ZippySLC posted:

Oz and James Go Somewhere and Drink More Things

pls.

Flint and James. I would enjoy the hell out of a conversation with May. We both love the mechanical minutiae of the world we live in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Flint Ironstag posted:

Flint and James. I would enjoy the hell out of a conversation with May. We both love the mechanical minutiae of the world we live in.

James and Rowan on vacation. It would be mechanical engineering madness.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I wonder why they chose to use the method of "not renewing his contract" rather than immediate termination? There's definitely different legal rights and responsibilities to each of them.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Whats so wrong with being a sjw anyways?

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Flint Ironstag posted:

I'd love to see him do a Toy Stories esque mega project with Rube Goldberg Machines/Mouse Trap.

It's funny because on tumblr there's also a large contingency of female fans who are devastated - quite a few of them had gone to tapping or participated in James May's Toy Stories projects or gotten into it through bonding with dads/partners. One girl I know she's just a teenager who managed to brave up and take a long bus trip to meet them when they touched down.... in Argentina.

I got into it cuz I was so suicidal I was looking for anything to take my mind off it, all day I'd think about throwing myself under a car's wheels. For years it had been my go to idelation method - and one day I crossed a clip on youtube I couldn't stop laughing, I hadn't actually laughed that hard is years I'd forgotten how good it felt. Then I went and watched more and more - and soon, I realized I didn't want to throw myself under traffic because the thought of being snuffed out by something like a brown Nissan or an ugly Holden, I started to just sit on my back step and car watch looking for nice cars. Not to off myself with, just to look at it for the pleasure of looking at it from a design nerd angle.

I hadn't laughed so hard in years and even though it's all over, well I'm here reading these poo poo posts to tell about it :gbsmith:

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Ferremit posted:

I wonder why they chose to use the method of "not renewing his contract" rather than immediate termination? There's definitely different legal rights and responsibilities to each of them.
Because its easier. He's under contract for what, another week? Firing someone on a million-pound salary is probably a ton of paperwork. Why bother?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

lt_kennedy posted:

I'd love to see him do a Toy Stories esque mega project with Rube Goldberg Machines/Mouse Trap.

It's funny because on tumblr there's also a large contingency of female fans who are devastated - quite a few of them had gone to tapping or participated in James May's Toy Stories projects or gotten into it through bonding with dads/partners. One girl I know she's just a teenager who managed to brave up and take a long bus trip to meet them when they touched down.... in Argentina.

I got into it cuz I was so suicidal I was looking for anything to take my mind off it, all day I'd think about throwing myself under a car's wheels. For years it had been my go to idelation method - and one day I crossed a clip on youtube I couldn't stop laughing, I hadn't actually laughed that hard is years I'd forgotten how good it felt. Then I went and watched more and more - and soon, I realized I didn't want to throw myself under traffic because the thought of being snuffed out by something like a brown Nissan or an ugly Holden, I started to just sit on my back step and car watch looking for nice cars. Not to off myself with, just to look at it for the pleasure of looking at it from a design nerd angle.

I hadn't laughed so hard in years and even though it's all over, well I'm here reading these poo poo posts to tell about it :gbsmith:

gently caress yeah. May is the best.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Ferremit posted:

There's probably clauses in there that entitle Clarkson to things if he's terminated, but if his contract just ends then everything's squared up nicely.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

i flunked out posted:

Whats so wrong with being a sjw anyways?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

gently caress yeah. May is the best.

He seems genuinely interested in the subjects he presents. Hammond, not so much.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

guys why did my car show get cancelled when the guy in charge publicly and verbally assaulted the producer of the show for 20 minutes and proceeded to try to beat him up over cold cuts :qq: the show was making a profit those goddamn sjws have gone too far

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MLK and Ghandi wept.

Mister Kingdom posted:

He seems genuinely interested in the subjects he presents. Hammond, not so much.

I never really cared for Hammond. In the challenge he was good counterweight to May and Clarkson, but he just felt like comedic relief.

That being said, I loved when he did the RV racing segment.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

CommieGIR posted:

That being said, I loved when he did the RV racing segment.

The Taxi one was still my favorite. Watching that Crown Vic plow through the side of the limo made my day :allears:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Maybe I've just seen too many movies about managers getting rock stars the exact amount of drugs (whether its more or less than they already have) and other bullshit to corral them into going on stage night after night, but where was everyone else during the 20 minutes leading to the punch? Clarkson clearly needs to take responsibility for the incident, but why didn't anybody get to the point of "poo poo is getting real, we'd better go persuade Clarkson to go wait in his room while we send up two steaks and a brandy glass with a thousand brown M&Ms in it"?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

As long as this gives us more shows with names starting with "James May" then I'm happy with this outcome.

RIP Top Gear, it would have ended soon anyway, better this than it just getting poo poo. I still want to see the rest of this season though.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I never really cared for Hammond. In the challenge he was good counterweight to May and Clarkson, but he just felt like comedic relief.
he was usually at his best during the more candid moments in specials / challenges / etc. when he wasn't trying to be Richard Hammond From That Car Show On The Telly ( or at least it seemed that way ). Otherwise it seemed like he just tried too hard to have a personality.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They think it's all over... it is now.

Honestly I'm kind of proud the BBC had the stones to sack a rainmaker like Clarkson. So many people get some power or recognition and they think that entitles them to behave horribly and treat people like garbage for minor transgressions. It shows that no matter how much your poo poo doesn't stink, you have to play the same rules everyone else does. If anybody else in this thread acted this way at their job, they'd be shown the red card on the spot. I find myself more on the side of peon workers like Tymon (as much as a producer for a major show can be) than media behemoths like Clarkson, because if my boss treated me that way I'd want some action taken and not just told to suck it up.

Maybe there was a bunch of office politics involved. I don't know, but it sends the message the BBC doesn't gently caress around, or at least won't let you punk them forever.

I wonder if this might be a blessing in disguise for Clarkson himself. He has a bad back from hooning around, recently divorced, lost his mother, been doing the same show for over 10 years. The outburst could be the pot boiling over. He might benefit from a rest, and I'm happy to let him have it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Flint Ironstag posted:

But the real issue, which I haven't seen brought up, is this. What will happen to poor Stiggy? Some say he will be stripped down for spare parts, and that the rest will end up in the warehouse from the Indiana Jones movies. All we know, is that he is unemployed.

Like the BBC has said, Top Gear will go on. They're not going to hire new presenters, so it's just Stig left. You'll have The News presented silently by the Stig, who will then do a lap in a car, followed by a silent SIARPC interview, and then a challenge which will consist of the Stig silently accepting an envelope before tooling around in some car while playing royalty-free music.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone think that perhaps it wasn't the Tumblr posters that led to Clarkson's downfall and the subsequent collapse of the BBC... but instead it was the Jew Run Liberal Media?!?!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

annapacketstormaya posted:

Like the BBC has said, Top Gear will go on. They're not going to hire new presenters, so it's just Stig left. You'll have The News presented silently by the Stig, who will then do a lap in a car, followed by a silent SIARPC interview, and then a challenge which will consist of the Stig silently accepting an envelope before tooling around in some car while playing royalty-free music.

I thought the Stig was owned by Clarkson and Wilman (as Bedder 6), and the BBC licenses him from them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kylej posted:

Anyone think that perhaps it wasn't the Tumblr posters that led to Clarkson's downfall and the subsequent collapse of the BBC... but instead it was the Jew Run Liberal Media?!?!

No, I don't think that.

I hate the apparent opinion that either firing him or letting him off scot-free were the only options. I'd suggest a fine, public apology, mandatory anger management classes, and producing a series of PSAs about why he's a oval office and workplace violence is very bad. He could use his "continental policeman" face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.infowars.com/bbc-less-tolerant-of-climate-skeptic-than-of-pedophile/

quote:

Jeremy Clarkson, host of the BBC’s most popular show, Top Gear, with an audience of 350 million worldwide, has just been fired by the BBC.

He was hated by the high priests of political correctness and global warming at the BBC. He was also slandered by a BBC source who compared him to pedophile Jimmy Savile.

Seems they couldn’t tolerate the merry prankster in their midst like they could the pedophile.

Time to wrap it up, Alex Jones is now paying attention.