Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
It'll get there, but it will take quite a bit of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

How long by a bit of time? Thing is about four pounds I think.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm thinking of putting a cast iron skillet down on the coals directly and letting the onions cook while the hot dogs cook above.

I think that would work great. I just put things like that in a foil pan and use indirect heat but usually with stuff that takes longer than dogs.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

ChaseSP posted:

How long by a bit of time? Thing is about four pounds I think.

Four pounds won't take too long, maybe 4-6 hours? Just be sure you're able to monitor the temperatures.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Looking good

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

QuarkMartial posted:

Looking good

All I see is :911:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

QuarkMartial posted:

Looking good

You done good. Real good.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Last week I went to Home Depot to take a look at a Traeger Tailgater to see what it looked like in person.

It was...... shorter than I expected it to be. Like, a lot shorter. It only came up to the lower part of my chest. Kinda makes me want to save my money for one of the larger 22 Series models, even though those are a couple hundred bucks more expensive.

Also, and this is something I could've figured out from looking closer at images on Amazon, but it looks like all Traeger models only go up to 400 degrees max, NOT 500 like that goon claimed earlier. I still want one, but now I feel like I can wait a little longer on it.

In other news, I'm completely out of money and probably won't be able to smoke anything for at least a week and a half if I'm lucky.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 16, 2017

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

VERTiG0 posted:

Four pounds won't take too long, maybe 4-6 hours? Just be sure you're able to monitor the temperatures.

Yeah typically I do ribs so I'm not really worried about them not being cooked. I'll bring it out for something like this though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

QuarkMartial posted:

Looking good
For Franksgiving a few years ago I spiral-cut a big pack of hot dogs, dry-rubbed them, then made a smoked frank mac and cheese. Definitely one of the best uses of my smoker so far.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That sounds delicious.

No pictures of how they turned out, but they were awesome.

I was going to post a pic of my midnight snack, where I split one and heated it up in my skillet, then covered it in a stone ground mustard and relish... But my bun was stale and I ate it before I took a pic :(:

I bought a beef brisket, a flat cut, that I am going to try to cook tomorrow night for my lunches this week. Will share pictures when I get to it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Starting up the grill and smoking a chuck roast and rack of ribs today. Hallelujah.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Throwing in the corned beef. Hoping it turns out well first time I've smoked a big chunk of meat

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Doing a 4 lb pork shoulder and a rack of baby back ribs with the new slow n sear and the thermoworks Smoke. Unfortunately it looks like I got a bad receiver, because it lost sync with the temperature unit. Bummer. Their customer service is supposed to be awesome, though.

I'll edit or post some pictures when the food is ready. My wife preps and used a lot more rub than usual, so hopefully the bark on the shoulder is awesome.

The Slow n Sear is holding temperature amazingly well considering it was practically a dust storm when I got started. I opened the vents too much and it went to 250, but keeping the vents mostly closed it's staying in the 219-230 range despite the wind that's battering the grill.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

The Slow n Sear is holding temperature amazingly well considering it was practically a dust storm when I got started. I opened the vents too much and it went to 250, but keeping the vents mostly closed it's staying in the 219-230 range despite the wind that's battering the grill.

huge fan of the slow n sear! had mine cranking all weekend, smoked some ribs, smoked two turkey fattys, and cooked up a variety of sausages with nothing but two chimney's worth of charcoals.

Some ribs from yesterday:

And the Easter turkey fattys. Ground turkey, bacon, garlic, spinach, feta smoked with pecan.

Wrapped one in bacon, of course!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Pastrami didn't end up as pastrami. Way more fat than I thought was on it and it just took too long for to to pass the stall and not eat at around 9. Disappointed but a lesson to remember for next time.

E: Maybe I should've tried wrapping it in tin foil but with how people was talking about it, it didn't seem like it was needed.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 17, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just put on my first brisket. It's a 2lb flat cut. It had a lot of hard fat, so I trimmed it off.... Which I think was a big mistake.

I'm going to smoke it for an hour or so (don't have many chips, so however long they last is what it gets), then let it cook at 225 until it hits 200, then let it rest before slicing. Should I foil it? I was also thinking of using this teriyaki baste/glaze, and had planned to use it, but now I'm having second thoughts.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Smoke ran out. That did not last long at all. Now I'm just going to let it cook and think about basting it.

E: looked dry, so I basted. Soon after it started raining, so I brought it in, poured in some watered down baste, wrapped it and am finishing it in the oven. Started at 225 in the oven for an hour, but I need to sleep, so I bumped it to 250 to maybe finish it quicker.

E: this was a mistake to start so late. Pulled out of the oven at 182. Letting it rest before I slice and sleep. Cut a chunk off and it was good, though.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 17, 2017

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

ChaseSP posted:

Pastrami didn't end up as pastrami. Way more fat than I thought was on it and it just took too long for to to pass the stall and not eat at around 9. Disappointed but a lesson to remember for next time.

E: Maybe I should've tried wrapping it in tin foil but with how people was talking about it, it didn't seem like it was needed.

I found that wrapping it really helped get my brisket to temp last week. Amazing Ribs on the stall( http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html) and the crutch(http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/texas_crutch.html) are really detailed and informative.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah I realized that but the meat was seriously fatty and chewy. Maybe it was because it didn't get up to 200 but I needed to trim some.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
What temp did you pull it at? That makes a huge difference.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

170 otherwise it wasn't gonna be feasible to let it sit for a while and still est.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's done when it's done duder, you're going to have a lot of bad experiences if you get impatient with smoking meats.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I wasn't impatient but my father was. Asked him to get stuff for appetizers to pass the time but he never did. Piece of meat also took longer than I was lead to believe. It's still good but not really great sandwich material. I got another thing of corned beef to try again which is much smaller.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

ChaseSP posted:

I wasn't impatient but my father was. Asked him to get stuff for appetizers to pass the time but he never did. Piece of meat also took longer than I was lead to believe. It's still good but not really great sandwich material. I got another thing of corned beef to try again which is much smaller.

every cook is going to be different so if you're hosting people, get started much earlier. it is really easy to hold a hunk of meat at temp with a cooler and a few towels or even newspaper, especially if you pre-warm the cooler with the hot water.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Nah I live with him and we went out for Easter breakfast so I didn't have a chance to so it early. Just when I posted in here I was lead to think it's be 6 at max. Maybe that was assuming is wrap it at the stall.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Any time someone says "it should take this long to cook" it is really only a rule of thumb. I've had 15 lbs pieces of meat that finish in 12 hours and I've had 7lbs pieces that took the same amount of time. You really need to give yourself a lot of leeway.

Edit: vvv Haha drat, I edited that out so I didn't seem like a dick bag but oh well.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 17, 2017

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You could have also read any of the hundreds of posts telling people to start early because it may take a lot longer than you think. And the other hundreds of posts where people did the exact same thing as you.

nah

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm willing to admit I messed up and will view my mistakes and learn from it. Smoke sooner than i expect and wrap in foil to help with the stall. Just normally I would've been able to be more patient

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Crutch let's you zoom past the stall and allows you to prevent it from drying out as well. Always wrap beef, imo.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

couldcareless posted:

Crutch let's you zoom past the stall and allows you to prevent it from drying out as well. Always wrap beef, imo.

It really was surprising how quickly the temp started rising after I wrapped my brisket last week and put the probe back in.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I usually figure 1-2 hours per pound.

If you keep it steady at 225 it'll be closer to 2hrs per lb. People who claim to bbq in shorter times are either not accurately contolling their pit temp or have poo poo thermometers that read low.

My WSM for example reads 25-50f low possibly for food safety liability. So if you are just using the stock thermo you are actually in the 275F range and foods cook quicker but the smoke flavor and tenderness have less time to develop.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm just gonna do some more ribs next time to get this experience out of kind and try a long smoke with them with applying sauce when almost done. Haven't done they

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
My ribs sucked. 6 hours @ 225 in the electric smoker and it came out...dry and underdone if that's possible. Was a warm, not-windy day, and the only factor against this thing getting cooked was that I'm high altitude (7k ft). I foiled and tossed into a 325 oven for another hour to actually get them cooked, but they were still not tender to my liking ( I would like meat to come away from the bone easily, but not without a little pull). I will not give up! I have more ribs to try out later this week.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
6 hours is a long time for ribs unless they were full, untrimmed, St Louis. They probably dried out. Try foiling them next time, 3-2-1 works well with spares. (3 hours uncovered, 2 hours in foil. Then unwrap, sauce, and cook uncovered until bend/crack test.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Dunno does foil really matter for ribs? They don't tend to be that thick excluding beef ribs with the middle meat not trimmed off so is stalling even an issue?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I always do 3-2-1 for ribs in my MES and always end up with perfect ribs. I've never experimented with another way because it worked great from the first try.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

ChaseSP posted:

Dunno does foil really matter for ribs? They don't tend to be that thick excluding beef ribs with the middle meat not trimmed off so is stalling even an issue?

with ribs, foil isn't so much for any type of stall like you said, but more to help tenderize and keep a nice moisture level.

I personally don't foil my ribs because I don't want to gently caress with the rub/bark, but perhaps I'll have to try that 3/2/1 method next time.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I smoked a duck and took terrible pictures of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

qutius posted:

I personally don't foil my ribs because I don't want to gently caress with the rub/bark, but perhaps I'll have to try that 3/2/1 method next time.
That aside, any purported moisture benefit is just not enough of an improvement to justify loving up your smoker temps while you screw around with the lid. Brisket, sure, that poo poo's gonna be going for a day anyway if you don't crutch.