Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Now let me be clear, I didn't hotbox my husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Whiskey Sours posted:

Stern disapproval, but states' rights.

At most, a pledge not to prosecute marijauna dispensaries from the Federal level.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Deteriorata posted:

The one that gets her the most votes and least controversy.

What's this? Next you'll be telling me she'll be dodging controversial questions with milquetoast subject changes! :monocle:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

http://youtu.be/cpBzQI_7ez8?t=57s

I may not be happy with his presidency, but campaign Obama really was amazing.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

De Nomolos posted:

I actually did attend our state convention in 2012 as a state delegate (which anyone who wants to be one can be, just about) if only to support a friends attempt to go. From what I gathered, if you can get noticed at your district convention and get on the slate of DNC delegates there, you have good odds. I didn't even try for that.

However, if you live in a very blue district, you'll be competing with a lot more people. The good news is that I've moved to a blue city in a deep red district now, where the local committees are very small. My odds have improved, at least. If I remember correctly, I was one of nearly 300 state delegates from my old district. My new one sent about 70 despite being allotted many more. I know someone from a rural district that sent about 40 and got to go despite being 20-something and only a Obama volunteer.

At your local city level, recruit and organize the delegation to your Congressional District. If it's apportioned in the district based on Dem election results, you'll be able to get a couple folks in as delegates if you get folks to vote as a bloc for you (especially if your city fills its delegate quota and the other areas don't). Even if that fails you get a second bite at the apple with that bloc at the DPVA convention, where there will be 90 people running for a handful of open delegate slots and if the presidential campaign doesn't have a full slate for those slots you may have a chance. Of course my only experience with that was in 2012, so your mileage may vary.

Platonicsolid posted:

So, in short, depends on your state and the year, and solid activism is usually rewarded. Too bad if you don't make it to the convention, though. You'll have made your community a better place for nothing.

There's also 2014 and 2015 to build your activist cred - especially 2015 since State Senate and House of Delegates districts can cross county lines, you can get folks in neighboring counties in your CD to like you and help you run for DNC delegate.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Jackson Taus posted:

At your local city level, recruit and organize the delegation to your Congressional District. If it's apportioned in the district based on Dem election results, you'll be able to get a couple folks in as delegates if you get folks to vote as a bloc for you (especially if your city fills its delegate quota and the other areas don't). Even if that fails you get a second bite at the apple with that bloc at the DPVA convention, where there will be 90 people running for a handful of open delegate slots and if the presidential campaign doesn't have a full slate for those slots you may have a chance. Of course my only experience with that was in 2012, so your mileage may vary.

There's also 2014 and 2015 to build your activist cred - especially 2015 since State Senate and House of Delegates districts can cross county lines, you can get folks in neighboring counties in your CD to like you and help you run for DNC delegate.

How much does it depend on who you back for president? I didn't do any of this in 2008. I knew a lot of Dean backers in 2004 and none of them went.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

A Winner is Jew posted:

http://youtu.be/cpBzQI_7ez8?t=57s

I may not be happy with his presidency, but campaign Obama really was amazing.

Is anybody happy with Obama? Conservatives and libertarians hate him for his policies, liberals hate him because he isn't liberal enough.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

AYC posted:

Is anybody happy with Obama? Conservatives and libertarians hate him for his policies, liberals hate him because he isn't liberal enough.

I actually think most liberals are pretty alright with him just the left end of them hate him in the same sense that Christie isn't conservative enough for tea partiers. Lesser of two evils for the far end of the branch, but most people are cool with them.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

AYC posted:

I'm happy with him. I think he's done the most he can for the country considering he has to work with a lovely congress, senate, and supreme court.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

AYC posted:

I've been around long enough to know that the perfect President doesn't exist. He's a pragmatist, not an ideologue, hence ideologues are naturally going to dislike him. He's done well given what he's had to work with.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

AYC posted:

Eh, I'd vote for him for a third term if he could run. He seems to have a pretty good handle on how to be President by now. Too bad he only had two years of a cooperative Congress, but we still got some (compromised) major policy changes enacted. Plus two great SCOTUS justices (which is really what I care about the most right now).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Pretty much. I'm not exactly happy with him, but I recognize just how much worse it could have been and what he has managed to get done despite incredible and historic levels of adversity/hostility. So I guess the best word would be "disappointed." Campaign Obama was really something else.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

AYC posted:

Just because I'm not happy with him doesn't mean I hate the guy or anything. And the hate disappointment with him is because he campaigned as a center left candidate but he's been a center right president. That being said, I voted for him in 2008 & 2012 because McCain/Palin or Romney/Ryan would have been monumentally disastrous for the country and I fully acknowledge that a center right democrat in the white house is better than a compassionate conservative in the white house any day of the loving week.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm looking forward to Hillary getting elected, immediately depleting Obama's remaining fucks to zero. Maybe he'll finally say what he thinks of the GOP :allears:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Prepare to be as disappointed as most people are with his presidency then, because he's not gonna piss away his future speaking career actually saying what he thinks.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obama will probably be the most expensive former-President for hire.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

comes along bort posted:

Prepare to be as disappointed as most people are with his presidency then, because he's not gonna piss away his future speaking career actually saying what he thinks.

Maybe he'll become a painter like Bush.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

comes along bort posted:

Obama could reveal that yes, he actually was born in Kenya and it would not diminish his post-presidency speaking opportunities one bit.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Obama should also be able to kick some rear end at every Democratic National Convention for a while.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AYC posted:

God bless the Onion: George W. Bush Debuts New Paintings Of Dogs, Friends, Ghost Of Iraqi Child That Follows Him Everywhere

And Obama should do his post-presidential appearances wearing a wearing a red-yellow-green dashiki, sunglasses, and a big Africa medallion. Sadly, time and stress has probably robbed him of the ability to grow a kickin' afro.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Dystram posted:

I'm happy with him. I think he's done the most he can for the country considering he has to work with a lovely congress, senate, and supreme court.

I hope Obamas presidency is a good reminder to Americans that the president is not actually some supreme monarch that can enact policy on a whim and that it is wildly important to participate in voting on local and state wide elections too!

(Lol who the gently caress am I kidding. We'll never give a poo poo)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AYC posted:

Nah, he's going to get sworn in as a Supreme Court Justice on a copy of The Communist Manifest while wearing a Keffiyeh and Dashiki.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Many of the worst things during Obama's administration have been things either totally within the control of the Executive Branch or, at least, things he could have prevented - deporting 2 million people, escalation of the war in Afghanistan, continuing and increasing use of drone strikes, support for privatization of education and charters, expansion of mass surveillance, etc. That same dysfunctional and terrible Congress also prevented him from getting through an awful grand bargain to cut Social Security. Sure, Congress has been awful, and the Republican candidates for president even worse, but Obama's administration has done some loving awful things too and we shouldn't just brush those things aside by pointing at the Republicans. "The Republicans are worse" is cold comfort to the ~1100 people deported every day, tens thousands of people who have been killed in the war in Afghanistan since 2009, thousands killed by drone strikes, etc.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 22, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rogue0071 posted:

continuing and increasing use of drone strikes

To replace cruise missile launches.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

Obama will probably be the most expensive former-President for hire.

He could actually write books that sell.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Install Windows posted:

To replace cruise missile launches.
I wonder if they've already made political hay out of "DRONE STRIKE" vs. that quote from W. about how he didn't want to spend a million dollars to shoot a camel in the butt with a missile.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rogue0071 posted:

deporting 2 million people

From what I've found the vast majority of these "deportations" are just not letting people enter the country in the first place.

eg:

https://www.ice.gov/removal-statistics/#footnote2

quote:

ICE conducted a total of 368,644 removals.

ICE conducted 235,093 removals of individuals apprehended along our borders while attempting to unlawfully enter the U.S.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Yeah the majority of deportations are at the border, which is largely the result of increased border patrol presence, which has been snowballing before Obama even came into office. It is considered a 'deportation' if you catch the person right over the border, turn them around and have the walk back.

Deportations of undocumented who have been living here is kind of more complicated, but it is more that since Napolitano DHS has either been dragging its feet in deporting people or outright just dropping cases.

edit: also the legal process of actually removing someone who has been here for some amount of time is a lot longer than I think people realize. Even if Obama strolled into office in 2009 and from top down was like "We need to deport more people, now." (this isnt what happened) it wouldn't even be noticeable until like, now due to appeals. There'd have to be serious collusion with the immigration court judiciary to speed things up.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 22, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the list of cities that the DNC is considering for the convention:

Atlanta
Chicago
Cleveland
Columbus
Detroit
Indianapolis
Las Vegas
Miami
Nashville
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Salt Lake City

I would love to see a DNC in SLC, but I doubt that one's going to make the next cut.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Surprised not to see a Texas city on there. Guess they're waiting until 2020 to turn it blue.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Joementum posted:

Atlanta
Chicago
Cleveland
Columbus
Detroit
Indianapolis
Las Vegas
Miami
Nashville
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Salt Lake City

I would love to see a DNC in SLC, but I doubt that one's going to make the next cut.

I very selfishly want it in Philly.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I hope its Las Vegas, Atlanta, or Miami because the only fun part of conventions is seeing all the crazy hijinks politicians and their aides get up to after hours.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Detroit. :allears:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

aBagorn posted:

I very selfishly want it in Philly.

I can't imagine wanting this thing to happen anywhere near where I live. They'll create a walled city within the downtown with security barricades all over the place that will make traffic a nightmare for a week. I guess it's great news if you run a hotel or downtown restaurant/bar, but it's a huge pain in the rear end for everyone else.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Atlanta
Chicago
Cleveland
Columbus
Detroit
Indianapolis
Las Vegas
Miami
Nashville
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Salt Lake City

It should be Phoenix. Decent sized city with a good down-town area, a huge Hispanic population which always swings heavily democratic... and Joe Arpaio being the sheriff can't possibly backfire in the most spectacular of ways.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Joementum posted:

Atlanta
Chicago
Cleveland
Columbus
Detroit
Indianapolis
Las Vegas
Miami
Nashville
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Salt Lake City

There's absolutely nothing to gain from holding it in SLC or Nashville. New York is almost always a disaster for events like that. A Chicago convention when you may possibly have a primary fight between Hillary and some number of left wing grassroots candidates could be an interesting juxtaposition (but odds are that won't come to pass, Dems will get in line). I guess the proper theory would be that a convention in a swing state with an important Senate race would matter most. So...Indianapolis? Any Florida city (is Rubio vulnerable?)? Phoenix (is McCain vulnerable?)? Any Pennsylvania city?

Of course, I'm skeptical of how much holding a convention somewhere matters in its ultimate vote.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
It's going to be Atlanta, Indy, or Phoenix. Probably Atlanta.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
2016 will be the first time that the cost to provide security won't be paid by the federal government, so it'll probably be held in whichever municipality agrees to foot the bill for the overtime pay to local law enforcement. I'm going to guess that Chicago will be way out in front on that score.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why do they even consider Las Vegas? It seems like an invitation for some really embarrassing shenanigans by party functionaries.

AYC posted:

Surprised not to see a Texas city on there. Guess they're waiting until 2020 to turn it blue.

That's definitely it, not the fact that there's almost no chance it will go blue in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's going to be Atlanta, Indy, or Phoenix. Probably Atlanta.

I'd rather have a Republican president than go to Phoenix or Atlanta in late summer.

• Locked thread