Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Managed to destroy a suspension cartridge trying to get it apart today :allears:
It wasn't the normal type that presses in on the bottom, circlip gets removed, and it all comes out through the bottom. Yamaha decided to have a threadlocked aluminum bottom that has two faces for a 16mm wrench but rounded otherwise. Motherfucker. Better be able to salvage a cart out of a hosed up for for less than $40... but come the gently caress on.

I have no more loving words.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm astonished at how much more courteous drivers are here in Denver and how much better geared riders are too.

I guess my rant is that I should have moved here sooner.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Space Whale posted:

I'm astonished at how much more courteous drivers are here in Denver and how much better geared riders are too.

I guess my rant is that I should have moved here sooner.

I'm astonished someone would say that about Denver! I see dozens of no helmet riders every day and I feel like every driver is high as gently caress and about to do something stupid.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I continue to have Tunnel Fun on my morning commutes.

This morning, in the Tunnel of No Lane Changes Next 1500 Feet, I was again in the middle lane. In front of me was a guy who was obviously going to do that lane change whether it was legal or not. That's the curse of the middle lane. It tends to go faster (more people are going north or south than west) so people hop in, then change lanes wherever. Often 50 feet before the actual ramp, which is always fun for everyone.

The guy in front of me kinda veers into the right lane until he's halfway over, then jerks the wheel back over again in front of me. I usually don't "interact" with drivers, because I want to live, but I flipped him the bird. gently caress that guy. Then he got reaaaal mad and just swerved back over right, nearly sideswiping another car, who had to emergency brake and swerve to not be hit.

The guy managed to clusterfuck his way into the right lane, finally, and as I passed him coming out of the tunnel, he flipped ME off. Because all of that was my fault.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

rally posted:

I'm astonished someone would say that about Denver! I see dozens of no helmet riders every day and I feel like every driver is high as gently caress and about to do something stupid.

Maybe I'm really saying Austin drivers rrrrrreeeeeaaalllllllly suck.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I got backed into today. Was behind a dude at a stoplight, and he just threw it into reverse and went nuts. I leaned on the horn and he figured out what was going on right as he tapped me for the second time. Bike didn't go down, no damage, everything turned out ok but lol, people.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

I got backed into today. Was behind a dude at a stoplight, and he just threw it into reverse and went nuts. I leaned on the horn and he figured out what was going on right as he tapped me for the second time. Bike didn't go down, no damage, everything turned out ok but lol, people.

BMW or KTM?And what could you have done differently stay safe in that situation?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Owner's son at work today walks up to me and asks me what kind of bike I'm riding, then tells me he used to have a CBR 929 but he "had to get rid of it because it was always trying to kill him."

I'm glad that's my dumbest recent story.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This whole summer I've been talking to people about bikes when they see me with mine, and I just keep hearing "oh yeah, I think about getting a motorcycle, but I'd just ride it too fast and get arrested, I don't trust myself"

:jerkbag:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

This whole summer I've been talking to people about bikes when they see me with mine, and I just keep hearing "oh yeah, I think about getting a motorcycle, but I'd just ride it too fast and get arrested, I don't trust myself"

That's cool, whatever hobby you do isn't cool enough for me either because my dick is even bigger. :v:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, or the people who think they'll get on a motorcycle and just ... die I guess? Like, spontaneously, because motorcycles are so dangerous.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yep, but it's totally fun and safe to hop on a scooter in your flip flops, board shorts, and tee shirt!

Last week I had someone tell me a layer dan story about their ex-husband (they literally said "had to lay it down") that resulted in a fatality to the passenger of the motorcycle, and I had to hold back from saying "If that dipshit wouldn't have just given up on the situation not only might that passenger still be alive, but they might both have got out without a scratch." Speaking to the general public about murdercycles is unbelievably frustrating.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Came up to a red light on the way home from a ride tonight getting off the highway. Woman sitting dead center of the lane (there's a little curve cutout on both sides widening at the end so if you're obviously turning you can get a little turned waiting for the light. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean, it isn't uncommon) with her right turn signal on.

I wait, because I want to go right, but I don't want to go around her and have her run me down when she decides to inevitably go.

I wait some more.

There's no traffic coming from either direction of the cross street so I tap my horn and she just blindly waves at me while staring at her cell phone. So I yelled "Are you turning? Your signal is on!" So she flips me off.

So being the polite person I am I yelled "Okay I guess you're just loving retarded then." and went just as the light turned green for us. Looking in my mirror, she continued just sitting there, probably staring at her phone still.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gorson posted:

Yep, but it's totally fun and safe to hop on a scooter in your flip flops, board shorts, and tee shirt!

Last week I had someone tell me a layer dan story about their ex-husband (they literally said "had to lay it down") that resulted in a fatality to the passenger of the motorcycle, and I had to hold back from saying "If that dipshit wouldn't have just given up on the situation not only might that passenger still be alive, but they might both have got out without a scratch." Speaking to the general public about murdercycles is unbelievably frustrating.

Fine, give me her Facebook and I'll tell her that her dipshit ex killed someone by being a poo poo rider.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don't usually rant in this thread but this has been a stupid week, motorcycle wise.

First, I was on my commute home and was at a stoplight behind some kid on a vmax, shorts, tshirt, flip flops, and get this, beats headphones! He was also terrible at riding, and wobbled his way down the road, almost tipping over from stupidity like 10 times. He completed his journey by turning off the road into a store parking lot, into oncoming traffic, swerving back into his lane and causing a mini traffic jam, thereby further tarnishing the reputations of motorcyclists everywhere.

Also, I rode my elite to Walmart to pick some stuff up, and I decided I needed to adjust the idle up a bit. Thankfully there is a grommet in the body work that you can pull and stick a screwdriver in and adjust the idle, so it's quick and easy.

As I was squatting down next to the bike just finishing adjusting the idle, I hear "what's this guy doing" coming from behind me. It was then that I realized I had parked next to a Harley. It's owner came walking up with his bitch who has yet to fall off and said "what're ya doing, praying?", because apparently that's what it looked like. I turned around and shot him a look and said I was adjusting the carb. "Cuz praying ain't gonna help with that piece of poo poo Honda". I guess I'm not sure what he expected me to do, because all it took was me standing up and asking if I could help him and he backpedalled and started with "oh, well her bike is a Honda and it's a piece of poo poo" pointing to the woman with him. Then she started in on him and yelled at him that her bike wasn't a piece of poo poo and that it was "gonna run for a million miles". I walked off as they were arguing, fully expecting my elite to be tipped over when I got back, but it was fine.

This isn't a story of how I'm a big tough guy, because I'm not, but it is very much a story of how sometimes the stereotypes are true and Harley riders are just cosplaying as badasses.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sometimes I think assholes like that are just trying to be friendly, but have no idea how to make an appropriate joke or start a conversation so they just eject the first thought that passes through their head.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Sometimes I think assholes like that are just trying to be friendly, but have no idea how to make an appropriate joke or start a conversation so they just eject the first thought that passes through their head.

That wouldn't actually surprise me. Still good to see someone like that punked in front of, and by a, spouse

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

People with penis extension vehicles have a hard time making friends? Who knew!

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

People with penis extension vehicles have a hard time making friends? Who knew!

Quoting this for the next time Razzled shitposts from his Tuono.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 23, 2016

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

prukinski posted:

Quoting this for the next time Razzled shitposts from his Tuono.

i make friends everywhere i go though, it's the wheelies that get em

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I like mailbox

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, IMO

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think you mean "piece of poo poo Hondas"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This isn't a story of how I'm a big tough guy, because I'm not, but it is very much a story of how sometimes the stereotypes are true and Harley riders are just cosplaying as badasses.
I met a very nice young lady recently with a late model Sportster 1200 who was asking about a base gasket leak on it. She worked at some local Make-A-Wish office and she apparently put more miles on her bike in a year than I do. I thought hey this is great, it's not #stereotypicalharley. Then I started the bike to see if the leak changed when it was running, and she had the loudest loving pipes I've ever heard on anything ever. I swear racing megaphones aren't that loud. Nope they're all alike, those Harlists.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Why do so many people say this or "No self control. I'd kill myself on it"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

hot sauce posted:

Because it sounds cooler than "I'm scared" or "I prefer the comfort and convenience of a vehicle with A/C".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hot sauce posted:

Never admit weakness. Never.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Chichevache posted:

Because it sounds cooler than "I'm scared" or "I prefer the comfort and convenience of a vehicle with A/C".

That's when you remind them of the natural A/C of winds buffeting you as you drive 80 mph.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

hot sauce posted:

Consider the performance delta between cars and bikes. Even something pedestrian like a SV650 is going to be faster than 90% of traffic out there.

Edit: Just out of curiosity I went looking at what SV's do 0-60 and quarter mile. I can't find a reliable source yet but I'm seeing ranges of less than 4 seconds to 60 and 12 second quarter mile. SV's get recommended as a beginner's bike but that would be a pretty stout car to have the same performance. Not a car you would recommend to someone just learning to drive.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 25, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You kind of have to throw the car comparison out the window, as even a ninja 250 is quicker than anything that could be considered a good learner car

And yes, SV's will run mid to low 12's with an average rider, maybe into the high 11's with a horse jockey who knows what they're doing on it

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Coredump posted:

Consider the performance delta between cars and bikes. Even something pedestrian like a SV650 is going to be faster than 90% of traffic out there.

Edit: Just out of curiosity I went looking at what SV's do 0-60 and quarter mile. I can't find a reliable source yet but I'm seeing ranges of less than 4 seconds to 60 and 12 second quarter mile. SV's get recommended as a beginner's bike but that would be a pretty stout car to have the same performance. Not a car you would recommend to someone just learning to drive.

Having started on a Ninja 500, then having quite quickly jumped to an SV650, the fact that it's considered "pedestrian" scares the hell out of me and gives me a healthy respect for these machines.

I talked the bike game a long time before actually getting my license, using the "I'd get myself killed" bit. However, I was dead serious about it; in the last 8 years I've been in 8 accidents (one absolutely my fault, the rest unavoidable or only marginally avoidable), resulting in 6 totaled cars and one hospital visit. Granted I've been accident free for the past few years, kicked the habit of keeping scrapyards in business, but my friends and family think I'm completely insane and I don't disagree.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You kind of have to throw the car comparison out the window

But you don't in this case as this is car drivers we're talking about here. Their only frame of reference is cars.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gorson posted:

I am terrified of scooters. Those tiny wheels and that instability. Grip the tank with your kn- what?

Every time somebody tells me they can't imagine being on a motorcycle but were thinking of getting a scooter, I explain to them my terror.

Rant: The Buffalo Chip at Sturgis is hosting Reverend Horton Heat and Willie Nelson this year. OFC I buck my trend of going on even years and do the 75th last year, when they had such illustrious acts including Godsmack and Lynyrd Skynyrd. I guess there's still time to make it happen but I've already taken 2 weeks off work for riding.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

clutchpuck posted:

I am terrified of scooters. Those tiny wheels and that instability. Grip the tank with your kn- what?

Exactly why I can't scooters. Took my compulsory basic training road portion on one and the thrill of biek was just barely enough to override the fact that I felt like I was going to fall out of the bloody thing.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Exactly why I can't scooters. Took my compulsory basic training road portion on one and the thrill of biek was just barely enough to override the fact that I felt like I was going to fall out of the bloody thing.

Same. The poo poo I see Scooter People wearing, too. :gonk:

Cute young women wearing cute sandals and capris and a DASHING little scarf, with a glittery half-helmet and sunglasses!

Do they honestly think they'll never fall over? It boggles my mind.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Lynza posted:

Cute young women wearing cute sandals and capris and a DASHING little scarf, with a glittery half-helmet and sunglasses!

They know what they're doing; they're like those Goldwing riders you see in videos, zooming around cones in parking lots making Ninja riders look foolish.

That's one of the many reasons I will never be able to scooter, although I have seriously considered getting a Honda Metro just because. Tiny wheels, prim sitting position, and do you ATGATT? I would have to.

nsaP posted:

I like mailbox
Who doesn't!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lynza posted:

I've seen one of these hit a pothole bigger than her front wheel and go down around 80km/h. Long sleeves only for her, now!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

Every time somebody tells me they can't imagine being on a motorcycle but were thinking of getting a scooter, I explain to them my terror.

Plant your feet into the floorboards, guys. It's not that hard. Most of them have floorboards that extend back (as "passenger accommodations") that let you get your feet under your seat, or you put them forward to take your weight when braking.

The tiny wheels can be shaky but they're not as bad as you think. Just like on a bigger bike you stay loose on the bars and steady on the throttle and the bike sorts itself out. And I ride 10" and 12" wheels in Seattle, PNWers will attest to how poo poo our roads get. The tradeoff of insane agility is worth it. Countersteering? Nah, just clench an asscheek to initiate a turn! I've actually changed direction so fast with bar input that my front wheel has come off the ground.

You do watch the road surface ahead of you more than you might with a 19" front, though.

I guess I didn't realize motorcyclists were a bunch of loving babies, though. Why are we the ones with the wimp/scared/girly stereotypes?!

The gear thing, though, I have no answer for. I really think people assume scooters are just weird bicycles and that they're safe. But asphalt doesn't give a poo poo what you were riding before you fell.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I cruise on the freeway at 75 with 10 inch tires. It's really not that bad. And you don't need to grip anything with your legs on a scooter, because there are 10 million ways to place your feet.

Scooters are rad, quit hatin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

The Buffalo Chip at Sturgis is hosting Reverend Horton Heat and Willie Nelson this year. OFC I buck my trend of going on even years and do the 75th last year, when they had such illustrious acts including Godsmack and Lynyrd Skynyrd. I guess there's still time to make it happen but I've already taken 2 weeks off work for riding.

DO IT.

RHH is playing my town with Melvins next month and I can't wait. Last time I saw him, a dude I was there with started a fight with some bikers and got dragged out of the bar on his back and I had a 36-hour hangover.