Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Toadsmash posted:

I must've spent a good two hours at this point reading up on signal tutorials and I can't figure out how to properly lay out my very basic bidirectional train setup for the life of me. Something about how signals work just refuses to click in my head.

What voice coms do you use? The easiest if you've already read things and watched tutorials would be we meet up in the MP game Dimitrix is running (or some other) and I talk you through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

I must've spent a good two hours at this point reading up on signal tutorials and I can't figure out how to properly lay out my very basic bidirectional train setup for the life of me. Something about how signals work just refuses to click in my head.

Bi directional? Tracks should only go one way; all of your signals should be on the same side; so pick a "drive on left/right" and stick with it. You can have a simple single track if you have two stations, but for anything more you need two tracks running parallel.

If you have all your tracks going one way and one signal is set to allow travel in the opposite direction, trains won't be able to go EITHER direction on that track.

When you place a signal it'll show you which direction it is allowing on the track.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Toadsmash posted:

Post a screenshot buddy

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
One weird trick for bidirectional track:

The signals have to line up like this. Otherwise you make some blocks that can only be entered from one direction and some blocks that can only be entered from the other direction and it doesn't work.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

FISHMANPET posted:

One weird trick for bidirectional track:

The signals have to line up like this. Otherwise you make some blocks that can only be entered from one direction and some blocks that can only be entered from the other direction and it doesn't work.

This is the logic hole that didn't click in my head. That's exactly what I was screwing up.

I'm just delaying the inevitable in not setting up a proper 2-lane main line, though. Stubborn and lazy, I guess.

(And I could've lain that second lane about 20 times over in the time I took figuring this out)

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 17, 2016

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Loopoo posted:

The way we download and install mods is fine, currently.

I dunno, I tried to download Resource Spawner Overhaul last week and couldn't find a download link anywhere on the internet--just threads in the Factorio forums that linked back and forth between one another. It's probably not too hard, just not easier than I am lazy.

An official mod manager, or even an external add-on like CKAN for Kerbal Space Program, would be worth the wait for me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Toadsmash posted:

You're more than welcome to add me on Teamspeak or Discord or Steam or whatever. I can set up a sandbox server and give you a quick tutorial? It's so much easier when someone is there to explain it.

Toadsmash posted:

This is the logic hole that didn't click in my head. That's exactly what I was screwing up.

I'm just delaying the inevitable in not setting up a proper 2-lane main line, though. Stubborn and lazy, I guess.

(And I could've lain that second lane about 20 times over in the time I took figuring this out)

tbf two-lane rail networks are great and all, but only if you need it. I've got a tonne of single train tracks that join onto my central rail network (that has two lanes). With FARL, there's no excuse not to have two lanes, but if you're doing it all by hand, single track is perfectly fine. If you start adding more trains, make sure to add lay-bys so trains can pull off to the side and wait whilst oncoming trains pass.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 17, 2016

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Laying rail by hand in itself doesn't bother me, but clearing out the massive amounts of forest that typically entails out in the boonies where logistic network access is a problem is ridiculously inconvenient. Can't wait for new and improved flamethrowers!

I'm doing the hyperaggressive strategy where I'm in the habit of nuking every alien nest that gets within a country mile of my pollution cloud to hell, though. I should really just learn to carry a few roboports and a giant pile of construction bots everywhere. I already have (active) power poles way the hell out in the middle of nowhere in lots of regions from the constant turret creeping.

I made my first flamethrower just a couple days ago thinking it had to be an improvement for dealing with GREEN GREEN GREEN everywhere. That may be the most underwhelming flamethrower I've ever seen in a video game, especially considering the material cost of the ammo supply.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 17, 2016

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Toadsmash posted:

Laying rail by hand in itself doesn't bother me, but clearing out the massive amounts of forest that typically entails out in the boonies where logistic network access is a problem is ridiculously inconvenient. Can't wait for new and improved flamethrowers!

I'm doing the hyperaggressive strategy where I'm in the habit of nuking every alien nest that gets within a country mile of my pollution cloud to hell, though. I should really just learn to carry a few roboports and a giant pile of construction bots everywhere. I already have (active) power poles way the hell out in the middle of nowhere in lots of regions from the constant turret creeping.

I made my first flamethrower just a couple days ago thinking it had to be an improvement for dealing with GREEN GREEN GREEN everywhere. That may be the most underwhelming flamethrower I've ever seen in a video game, especially considering the material cost of the ammo supply.

Shotguns are quite good at clearing out trees. Tanks are even better, since you can lay down rails while in them (just point the tank where you want the track to go, drive forward, and lay down rails). Poison capsules clear out large groups of trees, and they're pretty cheap.

And once you've teched up enough, personal roboports are great for doing more construction out in the middle of nowhere.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Everything feels awful and tedious when it comes to removing trees. Personal Roboport is the only thing that feels remotely satisfying to use and doesn't bore you to death in the process. Tanks, poison capsules, shotguns, they're all terrible at removing huge, thick forests.

I was using the FARL auto-remove feature before I had my Personal Roboport. I still use it every now and then too. Sometimes spending 30 minutes doing a job that could be done instantly ruins the amount of fun you're having for no real gain. I mean, removing trees isn't the main selling point of the game. I'd rather get them out of the way ASAP so I can actually spend time doing fun stuff.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I don't find Personal Roboport that useful for that because you still have to worry about carrying all that wood, which piles up very very quickly. Hadn't thought of poison capsules, though. Have to try it!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Toadsmash posted:

I don't find Personal Roboport that useful for that because you still have to worry about carrying all that wood, which piles up very very quickly. Hadn't thought of poison capsules, though. Have to try it!
You can either make a wood chest out of the wood, and fill it with wood and hit it with a shotgun. Or I guess you could trash slot it, which you will have set up to force your logistics robots to feed it to furnaces or boilers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just take a train with you and carry it back to fuel your boilers. Or if you really dgaf about it build a wood chest, fill it with wood, and shoot it to destroy the wood. Fully upgrade bots with multiple roboports (I usually have 3) are probably the fastest way to clear trees. You can also have a blue print for rails and lay out your rails quite easily with the robots.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I went 95% solar basically as soon as I set up my first copper expo. This page has been full of strange and nefarious tips, though, all of which will help now or later. Thanks guys.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Toadsmash posted:

You can use a roboport from inside a tank/car then you can fill the tank/car up with the wood.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I finally put a satellite in space. I'm about 110 hours into the game. 30 hours on the current game. I've found I greatly prefer passive mode. I have to fight the bugs to clear areas and get artifacts so there's still that gameplay element. I just get to not play the not very fun base expansion game.

Are the steam achievements active? I might try to get a few of them in a new game.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Not until .13.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Toadsmash posted:

Not until .13.

Bah. I saw them on the game page and thought maybe they were active but having mods disables it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Toadsmash posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_block_signaling

tl;dr: Signals mark the boundaries between 'blocks'. A signal will not allow a train to enter a block if the block already has a train in it.
Factorio-specific: A chain signal does not allow a train to enter a block unless it can also enter the next block. Signals must be on the right-hand side relative the train's movement, if you want a section to be bi-directional there must be a signal on each side on the same track tile.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I just got the game a couple of days ago and I was figuring out logistic robots today - is making them do absolutely everything in the base (rather than using belts) the right way to go about things or a fool's errand?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

It's a good way to make things very boring. Trying that basically destroyed my first long term game.

The other "bigger" problem is you need an absurd amount of logistic bots to match the bandwidth of yellow~red belts. Don't even try to match the throughput of blue belts.

I try to reserve material delivery to things that will turn into an end product. Like components for a roboport or electric furnace. Not 10,000+ iron wheels and copper cable.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Okay, I found a new question. Why does the game think the curved portions of this junction are not valid tracks? The two curves are separated by a straight piece just like they're meant to be and the rails visually connect, but when I attempt to put a signal on any portion of those sections (straight or curved), I get the tri-color strobing as if they're invalid tracks. The trains even use them! I have track sections identical to these elsewhere in my network that the signals seem to have no problem with.

The yellow-lit one in this (still) shot is flashing in the game, if it wasn't obvious.

Screenshot of a junction that uses the same exact type of curve with signals that work fine on it: (also happens to be my very first successful use of chain signals!)

My thumbnails seem to be busted, so have a link - the second screenshot is the one where all the signals work as advertised.

http://imgur.com/a/6k9F5

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Toadsmash posted:

Okay, I found a new question. Why does the game think the curved portions of this junction are not valid tracks? The two curves are separated by a straight piece just like they're meant to be and the rails visually connect, but when I attempt to put a signal on any portion of those sections (straight or curved), I get the tri-color strobing as if they're invalid tracks. The trains even use them! I have track sections identical to these elsewhere in my network that the signals seem to have no problem with.

The yellow-lit one in this (still) shot is flashing in the game, if it wasn't obvious.

Screenshot of a junction that uses the same exact type of curve with signals that work fine on it: (also happens to be my very first successful use of chain signals!)

My thumbnails seem to be busted, so have a link - the second screenshot is the one where all the signals work as advertised.

http://imgur.com/a/6k9F5

The strobing usually means "both sides of the signal are actually the same block, so the signal can't do anything meaningful". Essentially, you need to add extra signals to the other edges of the triangle so that all the points are in separate blocks.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
personal robo-butlers and blueprints for useful rail segments are my go-to mining expansion strategy. If you shift-click when laying the blueprint, the bots clear any trees in the way before hand.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

All this talk of strip-mining forests has me thinking: it'd be pretty drat awesome if we had the ability to plant trees ourselves. For that hippie who wants to go totally green.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I don't know about "totally green" but I wouldn't mind the ability to create small islands of vegetation in my lakes of concrete and machinery. Just as long as the trees know their place.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Network Pesci posted:

I don't know about "totally green" but I wouldn't mind the ability to create small islands of vegetation in my lakes of concrete and machinery. Just as long as the trees know their place.

Industrial park manager? Control urban automation sprawl with the appropriate amount of bounded nature to keep your construction robots morale up.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There's a mod for tree farms. They produce pretty quickly and I think they look pretty good, but it would also be nice to be able to plant trees wherever too, yeah.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone up for playing multiplayer RSO with me? I reckon two people could bash out a pretty drat good game before 0.13 is released on the 27th.

I'd play solo but 1) it's more fun with others and 2) I'd be bored playing solo, I wanna save that energy for when 0.13 is out. Don't do what so many people do though: add me on Steam and then never get around to actually playing with me. Two previous goons have done that with another game and it was a waste of 4 days of me holding off on playing until we could play together, but then I realised they weren't actually interested in it.

My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Q8ee/

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 18, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Welp, someone did it. A mod which disables electricity production (until late game things like robots) and everything runs on fuel

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=26870

Smoke the biters out and fill the sky with filth.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The most amazing thing about this game is that of the over TEN THOUSAND steam reviews, 98% of them are positive. You never see that high of a percentage liking any of the other 'early access' games on steam. Honestly, I haven't played it since it was released on steam though, been getting back into modded minecraft and it's just too much fun to even think about Factorio again.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ambaire posted:

The most amazing thing about this game is that of the over TEN THOUSAND steam reviews, 98% of them are positive. You never see that high of a percentage liking any of the other 'early access' games on steam. Honestly, I haven't played it since it was released on steam though, been getting back into modded minecraft and it's just too much fun to even think about Factorio again.

I only ever got into modded Minecraft because I loved making huge autoproduction systems. I recall fondly having made a fully self-sufficient system that just spit out solar panels made from alchemy systems... running on solar power. If I made an automatic building system, it could have become macroscale grey goo.

Then I found out that all I ever wanted was Factorio.

If I could make a Factorio clone in an Infinifactory-style 3D engine, I would never have to play anything else ever again.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I remember enjoying industrialcraft, but it all seemed somehow jankety and ultimately unsatisfying, maybe it was just because of whatever other mods were bundled into the technic pack.

Factorio feels vaguely similar, but it's better executed at basically every level, and doesn't really reach a point where the entire experience ends up feeling like I'm wasting my time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

If I could make a Factorio clone in an Infinifactory-style 3D engine, I would never have to play anything else ever again.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/352430/
Still very early development though.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tenebrais posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/352430/
Still very early development though.

The reviews aren't all that kind to it though. Perhaps it was put on steam a little too early but I'll stick it on my wishlist to track it. If it looks like it's being worked on and improved I might try it.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

There is also this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/254200 Not early access

Screenshots don't look pretty but it sounds like the automation gameplay is there. If I ever have free time I want to check it out.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I have to thank DmitriX for hosting that Unstable Ground server. It's now firmly in the "We can basically launch a bunch of rockets whenever" stage. And here I was saying "gently caress it" when I saw how tiny the starting area was. :v:

Less than a week to .13, at least. I look forward to building wherever and actually using trains in a singleplayer game for once.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ratzap posted:

The reviews aren't all that kind to it though. Perhaps it was put on steam a little too early but I'll stick it on my wishlist to track it. If it looks like it's being worked on and improved I might try it.

The game is awful. It's a buggy piece of poo poo. Opening your inventory and then trying to click and place items in your hotbar fails to work nine times out of ten. Clicks just don't seem to register.

Definitely nowhere near as good or polished as Factorio, even considering the fact it's an early access game. Would definitely not recommend you buying it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zomborgon posted:

You do the thing, I'll make the VR plugin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Truga posted:

You do the thing, I'll make the VR plugin.

3AM me meant "find." I'm not sure if I'd ever really appreciate it if I had to create it myself.

It's still an open market, though, given that the above options aren't too great-looking so far.