Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheRat posted:

Can someone explain why Britain is in such a unique place that it can't possibly afford to have a corporation tax in line with the rest of the developed world? Britain has a ridiculously low corporation tax, yet every time I see it mentioned people act as if the Labour tax increase is going to cause terminal meltdown.

Because the government's done such a shite job the rest of the time it's the only reason anyone wants to be here lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

TheRat posted:

Can someone explain why Britain is in such a unique place that it can't possibly afford to have a corporation tax in line with the rest of the developed world? Britain has a ridiculously low corporation tax, yet every time I see it mentioned people act as if the Labour tax increase is going to cause terminal meltdown.

The public does not know what our corporation tax rate is, nor that it's less than other countries, they have just had it hammered into them by the Tories and the press that raising it would make them all flee the country and also they have super smart accountants that would cheat their way around it anyway so why even try.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

Can someone explain why Britain is in such a unique place that it can't possibly afford to have a corporation tax in line with the rest of the developed world?
I'm sure the Tory answer is because it has a worse paid, English speaking neighbour with an even lower level of tax that will fight the EU in court to only collect 0.02% if your name is Apple.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
jeremy corbyn seems like there's a fire lit under his rear end... I wonder though if it's too late for him to turn the tide of public opinion.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Was today bad for Jeremy Corbyn? I hear he's gaining in the polls

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In the long run all activity, human or not, contributes to increasing universal entropy, driving us all inexorably towards heat death.

So, really, everything is bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Al-Saqr posted:

jeremy corbyn seems like there's a fire lit under his rear end... I wonder though if it's too late for him to turn the tide of public opinion.

The only way Labour can win is if the Tories keep loving up. And seeing how they have the manifesto out I can't see a big enough gently caress up happening.

Shame that.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

In the long run all activity, human or not, contributes to increasing universal entropy, driving us all inexorably towards heat death.

i thought jeremy corbyn was in favour of human extinction though

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
As the last mote of starlight winks out of existence, and is consumed by the infinte void, sputtering away into dust, it says; "This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn".

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

May still has two prime time tv appearances coming up, the joint channel 4 and Sky one on the 29th and the BBC special on the 30th. It's a slim chance considering the format of both are completely neutered and perfect for just saying soundbites over and over again, but they probably are the best opportunity for May to gently caress things up.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Dan Berman has another good post on this (http://restlessrealist.webflow.io//posts/closing-the-gap-the-uk-elections-14-days-out):

He then goes on and does his usual thing of assuming that everyone is playing 4th dimensional chess rather than just clumsily fumbling their way forwards but it's fairly good analysis.

The deification of Lynton Crosby by the political commentariat in the UK is an interesting thing. They forget his recent campaigns for the Canadian Conservatives, the Australian Liberal Party, and Zack Goldsmith have all fallen flat in various ways where his drive towards dead-cats flying wild personal attacks haven't been effective in the face of actual policy issues.

He is obviously exceptionally skilled at what he does, but when those strategies don't deliver it seems to leave the people he is guiding fairly rudderless.

twoot fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 21, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

i thought jeremy corbyn was in favour of human extinction though

Good for his agenda, bad for him personally.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

OwlFancier posted:

Good for his agenda, bad for him personally.

actually owlfancier, we won't be considered humans anymore once we grow gills.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Conservative James Cleverly 27,071 53.8%
UKIP Richard Bingley 9,461 18.8%
Labour Malcolm Fincken 9,296 18.5%
Liberal Democrat Matthew Klesel 2,488 4.9%

This is my constituency in 2015. Voting Labour. Feeling positive.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Kurtofan posted:

actually owlfancier, we won't be considered humans anymore once we grow gills.

"Fuckin' topsiders and their poison land, thank god we voted Surfacexit"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

The only way Labour can win is if the Tories keep loving up. And seeing how they have the manifesto out I can't see a big enough gently caress up happening.

Shame that.

I have a feeling there's one big twist still left in this campaign. It's been pretty uneventful compared to the last few years of elections, and the fates have a nasty sense of humour - I think they've saved the best for last. My money's on Boris making a pass at Ivanka Trump.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

twoot posted:

The deification of Lynton Crosby by the political commentariat in the UK is an interesting thing. They forget his recent campaigns for the Canadian Conservatives, the Australian Liberal Party, and Zack Goldsmith have all fallen flat in various ways where his drive towards dead-cats flying wild personal attacks haven't been effective in the face of actual policy issues.

He is obviously exceptionally skilled at what he does, but when those strategies don't deliver it seems to leave the people he is guiding fairly rudderless.

Dead cats are a signature Crosby move, but they're not what makes him so good at what he does. Crosby and his team are exceptionally effective at identifying key swing voter groups, identifying what issue concerns them most, then crafting a policy or message that appeals to them. That's the really difficult bit of electioneering that justifies his price tag.

But it's not his job to be the candidate or to decide their policies and there's only so much he can do for a candidate who isn't very good at either.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have a feeling there's one big twist still left in this campaign. It's been pretty uneventful compared to the last few years of elections, and the fates have a nasty sense of humour - I think they've saved the best for last. My money's on Boris making a pass at Ivanka Trump.

May shagged Little D when she was in the US. Their hand holding was just the bittersweet end of a whirlwind romance.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 21, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

"Fuckin' topsiders and their poison land, thank god we voted Surfacexit"

The pepe meme is a bit esoteric for me nowadays.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

OwlFancier posted:

On a long enough timeline all polls trend to zero

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Looks like the Telegraph and the Mail leading with the re-warmed IRA story tomorrow, trying to see if they can whip up a scandal yet again from the same information. It seems unlikely to dominate the news agenda.

Times going with the social care policy again though, which is nice.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/ryxnf/status/866031971415228417

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Skinty McEdger posted:

May still has two prime time tv appearances coming up, the joint channel 4 and Sky one on the 29th and the BBC special on the 30th. It's a slim chance considering the format of both are completely neutered and perfect for just saying soundbites over and over again, but they probably are the best opportunity for May to gently caress things up.

She's also on BBC One tomorrow evening, the first of five Andrew Neil interviews with the big five leaders.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I bring an important update from the ukpolitics subreddit:

quote:

A man comes to power promising to nationalise state industries and help the poor. He had a few dodgy associates but who doesn't? Millions of people supported him because they were fed up with being ruled by the rich who mistreated him. That man's name? Vladimir Lenin.

People voting for Corbyn are making the same moral error as those people who voted for Hitler or those who supported Soviet communism

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

The pepe meme is a bit esoteric for me nowadays.

I saw

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's not a meme, it's from "Man after Man" which has some very unique artwork

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TheRat posted:

I actively wish this were true

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Jeremy Corbyn is an uninspiring leader who is going to inspire an uprising.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I actively wish this were true

If it were then I guess I can just get a copy of Darkest Hour: Kaiserreich and call it historical simulation.

Full Syndicalism Now.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TheRat posted:

Reddit is bad

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

HJB posted:

Jeremy Corbyn is an uninspiring leader who is going to inspire an uprising.

What sort of uprising are you anticipating?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I'll be plenty happy with a social democracy.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

TheRat posted:

I love the 'moral' in there. It takes a banal and historically incorrect comparison and change it to a real window into the posters way of thinking.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

jabby posted:

Looks like the Telegraph and the Mail leading with the re-warmed IRA story tomorrow, trying to see if they can whip up a scandal yet again from the same information. It seems unlikely to dominate the news agenda.

Times going with the social care policy again though, which is nice.

How dare Corbyn suggest that the loyalists were anywhere near as bad as the republicans. It's as if they killed civi... oh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

rut-roh
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/866432743999254528

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tories looking at a sub-50 majority if this happened on election day, with Labour losing about 13 seats.

If Labour could claw another 2% from the Tories they could even be looking at a net gain of seats.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

Tories looking at a sub-50 majority if this happened on election day, with Labour losing about 13 seats.

If Labour could claw another 2% from the Tories they could even be looking at a net gain of seats.

Nah the regions that these %s are going to mostly be in aren't going to shake the foundations of parliament. The election map will still be a sea of blue because the rural seats just aren't going to be anything else.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

namesake posted:

Nah the regions that these %s are going to mostly be in aren't going to shake the foundations of parliament. The election map will still be a sea of blue because the rural seats just aren't going to be anything else.

Well the YouGov poll showed the lead had been cut primarily by a big uptick in support from the under-65s. That implies to me that there might potentially be further gains as the manifest policies percolate through to the olds.

Indeed it's likely that the Labour vote will be disproportionately concentrated in safe seats, but that sort of stuff can be hard to predict with any accuracy.

EDIT: Got a look at the cross-tabs, and Labour win 'party with best policies for elderly people/pensioners' 37% to 27%.

jabby fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 22, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

I mean the election map is always blue because blue seats occupy more space, there's more seats in the red bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

If you want a handjob from your neighbour, vote Labour.

If you're already a wanker, vote Conservative.

• Locked thread