Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I heard that if the solar storm goes right there may be an aurora borealis shining down in Dallas, can you picture that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Navasota river floodin' tonight

I mean technically now, there are fields next to it that ain't fields anymore

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I heard that if the solar storm goes right there may be an aurora borealis shining down in Dallas, can you picture that?

it was cloudy in austin but apparently denton got a good view

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't understand what the deal even is. You buy 6000 dollars or more worth of furniture now and you get half back in November no matter what? Or do you have to bet by picking which offer you want, Democrats winning or Republicans winning?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I don't understand what the deal even is. You buy 6000 dollars or more worth of furniture now and you get half back in November no matter what? Or do you have to bet by picking which offer you want, Democrats winning or Republicans winning?

You gotta pick a side when you buy.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I can't even tell how they are even pretending cutting everyone and everything is going to fix HISD. That was the premise for the takeover. Did they drop that? Did they redefine fixing to mean completely defund?

Based on Twitter at least it looks like Rep. Harold Dutton is just arguing that he wanted the district fixed, but he's not responsible/endorsing how the takeover has gone. Weak poo poo.

I don't live in Houston and don't plan to, but it's hard to not see all the news coming out of there every week. They tried to do a state takeover of Austin ISD, but AISD managed to get an agreement to something lesser. I hope every Austin rep and every local ISD official fights it to death if TEA tries to take over this district. It's clear a state takeover is about absolutely defunding the schools and leaving nothing.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 12, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Firing all the maintenance workers is the real giveaway. When the air conditioners break, which they will, and don't get repaired for weeks, which they won't, those schools will get infested with black mold, at which point they can simply demolish the building and put up more townhouses.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah from the things I've heard, "defunding" is too weak of a word for it, the schools are being well and truly destroyed, the students doomed. It's pretty nightmarish. To accept the state government taking over is death.

Combined with Abbott trying to pass vouchers to defund rural schools, he's really got it in for schools in general. Probably only little rings of schools in the suburbs will be safe.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The suburban schools are getting hit hard too. Also, this isn’t even just Texas, this is everywhere. Texas just has a particularly hostile government that exacerbates the situation. Here’s a CNN story about it from yesterday that specially references Arlington: https://apple.news/A7aoJCj7GRzKA9c7bbUjOdw

Just search for almost any school district name and you’ll see a bunch of stories about preparing to close down schools and lay people off. One of the Houston suburban districts, Spring Branch, was talking about retaining its recapture money a few months ago, which I can see being something the urban and suburban start en masse doing if things get too extreme. Plano, which is a quite wealthy suburb, is shutting down schools due to budget issues.

Houston itself probably isn’t in a much worse place than Dallas or Austin, but their issues may be intensified by some of the requirements of Miles’ reforms. He brought in a huge number of very highly paid loyalist managers with him to purge out the existing bureaucracy and created a bunch of new management positions for them. None of these managers are doing anything for students, they’re all just engaged in a bureaucratic civil war, but they’re all sucking up funding. Purging out non compliant teachers is also part of the deal, so the budget shortfalls give good cover for accomplishing that aspect of their mission.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 12, 2024

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I'm now at the point where I'd just describe Texas' government as a highly inefficient money laundering scheme from donors to political leaders. Almost all decisions can be explained as a donor giving a lot of money to Abbott/Patrick/Paxton to enact their pet cause and them using state resources to make it happen. If there's any chance of them is involved, then it's a given that state resources will be fully wasted to fulfill whatever wish that donor has. Lawsuits aren't a deterrent, they're really just more paid employment for one of their friends.

That sounds obvious, but it's just still unreal how they desire lawsuits and demand state agencies just do poo poo they 100% know will get them sued. There's no way to discourage Texas from doing something bad unless Tim Dunn changes his mind about it. I say this as a state worker who is seeing one of these happen in real time to us. And also handling their pet causes 100% takes away from really really necessary stuff we have to do to have a functional government, or at least not get eaten alive by the federal government and courts for non-compliance.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cypress isd which is in a basically well to do suburb got rid of all their school librarians. instead now they have a few district librarians who rotate between schools. libraries are now only open so many days per week. very lovely. i don't think we can afford private school either lol.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't think i could teach a class of middle schoolers in 2024 even if it paid 200k. being between kids, parents and admin must be hell on earth

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

i say swears online posted:

i don't think i could teach a class of middle schoolers in 2024 even if it paid 200k. being between kids, parents and admin must be hell on earth

my 16 y/o daughter wants to do theater for college and then teach high school theater. i don't have the heart to tell her it's a bad idea. i'll just be the backstop when it blows up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

getting a Stage, Thesbian, Ensemble, Method degree

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i wanted to be a teacher in high school, it was like seriously an aspiration i held close to my heart, but when i started college i told my academic advisor this and he was like "you dont want to do that, this country hates teachers". i did some research and yup!

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

cypress isd which is in a basically well to do suburb got rid of all their school librarians. instead now they have a few district librarians who rotate between schools. libraries are now only open so many days per week. very lovely. i don't think we can afford private school either lol.

This is common across the state; they just hire a few paraprofessionals poverty wages to keep the library open, and have an actual librarian oversee a few schools.

The loss of all the extra COVID money is going to be felt across the country for sure. Greg Abbott withholding money for 5 years in the midst of massive inflation has mad it so much worse here. Everyone is trying to find ways to cut tons of money. I know a lot of districts in the state have just done a complete hiring freeze, so they aren't replacing any staff who is leaving. Next year is going to be an absolute poo poo show.

poemdexter posted:

my 16 y/o daughter wants to do theater for college and then teach high school theater. i don't have the heart to tell her it's a bad idea. i'll just be the backstop when it blows up.

The truth is, the money isn't that bad for the first five years or so out of college, and then after that most teachers transition to something else anyways. There are plenty of things people can transition to something else with transferrable skills having worked a professional job for 5 years. I'm not even all that convinced there is any good advice for young people on careers to pursue or academic fields to pursue that won't just ultimately blow up in their face, and going after something they have a passion and real interest in is probably the best advice, really. Find something you like and then find a way to make it into a career.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

DuckHuntDog posted:

The truth is, the money isn't that bad for the first five years or so out of college, and then after that most teachers transition to something else anyways. There are plenty of things people can transition to something else with transferrable skills having worked a professional job for 5 years. I'm not even all that convinced there is any good advice for young people on careers to pursue or academic fields to pursue that won't just ultimately blow up in their face, and going after something they have a passion and real interest in is probably the best advice, really. Find something you like and then find a way to make it into a career.

Yeah, this has been my feeling as well. I can't predict the future, and I'm not gonna be the one to crush her dreams.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Frisbee you're gonna love this

https://twitter.com/0liviajulianna/status/1789417887217701208

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ah crap i've been trying to steer a summer boys' trip to port A but i think we've decided on the space center in houston. now we're split between staying in downtown houston or staying in galveston. which is better for getting wasted on a friday and saturday night? i'm afraid houston will be too fancy

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ah crap i've been trying to steer a summer boys' trip to port A but i think we've decided on the space center in houston. now we're split between staying in downtown houston or staying in galveston. which is better for getting wasted on a friday and saturday night? i'm afraid houston will be too fancy

Friend, Houston is not too fancy. That you even wonder shows their marketing has worked, but if you want to descend into the doomed barrier island of Galveston to have some fun, feel free. Both have primo spots to get shitfaced.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've literally never spent the night in houston ever. i only believe the bad things. the choice in my mind is between getting to eat a bucket of fried shrimp and getting to eat conveyor-belt sushi

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

galveston is a lot of fun but there is a lot more to do in houston. so if you want more variety, try houston. less variety but also probably cheaper, galveston. but you can definitely have cheap and dirty nights out here in houston.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wtf this is the first place someone suggested

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Stay in Houston.

Hit up NASA, check out the Orange Show nearby for some quirk. Eat at the French Fry House for lunch or something.

You have options for bar scene. Midtown, Washington St, Downtown, and the Heights. All completely different. I personally like the area by the Eureka Heights brewery whatever that was called. 20th street in the heights. It’s less club and more backyard bar vibes.

Edit: B&B pretty good steak house yea.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Stay in Houston.

Hit up NASA, check out the Orange Show nearby for some quirk. Eat at the French Fry House for lunch or something.

You have options for bar scene. Midtown, Washington St, Downtown, and the Heights. All completely different. I personally like the area by the Eureka Heights brewery whatever that was called. 20th street in the heights. It’s less club and more backyard bar vibes.

Edit: B&B pretty good steak house yea.

North Harris and Tomball also got some great restaurants and bars if that's you're main interest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its a good restaurant

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bb butchers is good.

The benefit of staying near downtown in Houston is that the food is better, the benefit of being in Galveston is that the alcohol is cheaper.

Don't go to loving Tomball, and ban Back Hack for suggesting it.

edit: wait, Tejas is in Tomball and it's pretty good. No ban, maybe just a sixer.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

its a good restaurant

I'm with the other guy here. So is the The Chef's Table, but sure poo poo going to be first place I suggest to somebody. Just saying. :v:

E: I'd send the Red Fish Grill Seafood first.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 14, 2024

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

i've literally never spent the night in houston ever. i only believe the bad things. the choice in my mind is between getting to eat a bucket of fried shrimp and getting to eat conveyor-belt sushi

If you're of a certain college age stay in Houston research the party places for Rice and U of H you'll find poo poo to do.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lolas Depot is a trip. Go there for cheap drinks and great people watching

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
if you're downtown and want fancy cocktails and to feel superior to others, go to Captain Foxhearts.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lolas Depot is a trip. Go there for cheap drinks and great people watching

this is good advice but be aware that the bathrooms are, uh, not good

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Or another suggestion, if you want to just eat cheap as gently caress seafood that's also pretty decent, you can also try Captain's Tom and Bluewater.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Back Hack posted:

North Harris and Tomball also got some great restaurants and bars if that's you're main interest.

lmao

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Back Hack posted:

*blows smoke off the end of his revolvers*

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!
If you're gonna be in downtown Houston, here are the recommended bars for getting trashed, ordered from most divey to least divey:

1. Warren's Inn
2. Sunny's
3. Char Bar
4. Little Dipper
5. notsuoH
6. La Carafe
7. One Armed Scissor
8. Captain Foxheart's Bad News Bar
9. Dean's Downtown
10. Houston Watch Company

If you have to choose half of those, I'd go with Warren's, Foxheart, notsuoH, Watch Company and LA Carafe. Warren's is a classic horseshoe old dive with lady bartenders who don't care if you live or die. Foxheart is a speakeasy accessed via a hidden staircase going up to a lawyer's office ahead and the bar entrance to the left. This also has the only balcony on the Main Street strip. notsuoH is a crazy arts center with weird nooks and crannies upstairs that feels like it will fall apart at any moment. Watch Company is just a cozy as hell whiskey bar with good happy hour deals and bartenders who know their poo poo. La Carafe is in a building that's been there since the 1860s, still uses an old timey cash register and is haunted.

Also try Drunken Pho inside Bravery food hall, it's surprisingly great.

Source: my liver is dying

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i sat down too hard on a couch in notsuoh and got wounded in the rear end by a spring. thankfully my tetanus booster was up to date lol. do they still do after hours parties? i went to a few in like 2010 and 2011, lots of fun.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!
Sadly I'm not sure if they do, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm also unsurprised you got stabbed by a couch there. That place owns

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Sometimes they do an afterparty, check their IG -- if you want the permanent afterparty places you have to find the chicano clubs where you pay $20 to become a member for a night so they can keep serving you - over near sharpstown. It's not what you're after though, that's more an eightball and whiskey night.

That said, Frosty's list is good except I hate scissor. I'm sad mongoose vs. cobra is gone, and Okra was fun too, when it wasn't too busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mongoose vs cobra was a lot of fun, i have a very clear memory of talking about 9/11 conspiracy theories there with a friend lol. so weird what your memory retains.

anyway i was just asking about notsuoh out of curiosity, i am old and boring now. my kids have me up at 7 or 7:30, i cant imagine staying out even past midnight lol.