Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

in a well actually posted:

Finally chatgpt and deepfake audio’s true calling.

Even the AI is gonna be pissed off by that, this is how we get skynet launching the nukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi thread, I recognize this is a vague question but do you have resources for Salary Surveys with significant sample sizes and veracity?

Thinking for the corporate professions associated with real estate development.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FAUXTON posted:

I met a traveler from an antique land, who said

:five:

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hi thread, I recognize this is a vague question but do you have resources for Salary Surveys with significant sample sizes and veracity?

Thinking for the corporate professions associated with real estate development.

You can probably get a boatload of demographic information from The Work Number or something, you you'll have to pay for it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

priznat posted:

Even the AI is gonna be pissed off by that, this is how we get skynet launching the nukes

I mean

We kinda deserve it at this point

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Renegret posted:

I mean

:agreed:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Volmarias posted:

:five:

You can probably get a boatload of demographic information from The Work Number or something, you you'll have to pay for it.

Thank you friend, I will research this resource

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Thank you friend, I will research this resource

There's a few HR professionals in this thread I think. A former company of mine used Radford compensation data when it came to compensation evaluation and whatnot. It's a HR tool that probably cost a lot of money though, but maybe someone has access to it.

https://radford.aon.com/en-us/

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Renegret posted:

I mean

Let's nuke the c-levels first to see if the situation improves.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Vasudus posted:

Because I was a complete idiot, I believed the company line that I was on track for the higher tiers of management. I worked extra on proposals, I hosted lunch and learns, I did mentoring (I still do that, but ho ho ho is the tone different) and so on on top of handling the extremely difficult clients that people bailed on. I believed all of this because I grew up blue collar, was the first person to go to college and grad school, and believed the meritocracy line hook, line, and sinker. In reality the game was rigged from the start and I'll never get the reward, but thanks for all the hard work.

Your problem and background sounds similar to mine. My last technically a boss person was promoted in to departing boss’ spot because he was a family friend of the CEO. All we have to do is be born to different people and go to fancy private school easy peasy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Aww hell yeah. I had to stay here and work while my family went to Florida, and then they were surprised with Disney World tickets from the in-laws. Then they brought home COVID to me.

I'm sick with COVID and I didn't even leave the goddamned house for two weeks or get to go to Disney. gently caress's sake. :(

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sundae posted:

Aww hell yeah. I had to stay here and work while my family went to Florida, and then they were surprised with Disney World tickets from the in-laws. Then they brought home COVID to me.

I'm sick with COVID and I didn't even leave the goddamned house for two weeks or get to go to Disney. gently caress's sake. :(

whatd you learn?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Don't go to florida, for one

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

priznat posted:

Don't go to florida, for one

I didn't! :(

quote:

whatd you learn?

A lot of things I'm not going to put in writing about my family and their commitment to protecting a three-year-old child.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sorry Sundae, I know you posted that protecting your kid has been a source of stress for you and I remember possibly a forums break? Early in Covid times I thought it was cool of you to be so careful for your family, I think you did good and just wanted to say that. Hope you feel better soon :)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Don't let loved ones go to Florida.

Kids are really resilient to most of the bad long term effects of COVID so at 3 it'll most likely be like a cold, and if it isn't the treatment options available now are pretty great, it's a world of difference from early on. Just stay on top of it and if the fever gets bad talk to your doctor.

And like, it sucks but this is just how this is now. Not just in the US but the world. It's good your kid got to go to Disney World!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lockback posted:

Don't let loved ones go to Florida.

More and more true all the time

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lockback posted:

If you can't figure out how to keep your service alive then maybe getting called about it at 5am will help you prioritize it.
I'm sorry your service is a cost center and won't be getting additional resources. Fix it anyway.

Sundae posted:

They can keep pushing to fix it, but until someone who makes decisions has to get up at 2:30AM and deal with it, nothing's going to change.
Everybody knows which side of the dynamic they're on.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Semi-Protato posted:

My company just rolled out a new policy that giving references, including personal references and linked in recommendations, would be grounds for discipline up to and including termination. I know we have the verification hotline or whatever for HR to do official references but to tell us what we can/can't say on our own time or on a non-company owned social network seems over the top, especially since we just did a significant round of layoffs. Anyone else's companies have this kind of thing in place? I haven't seriously looked for work in years, are references even still a thing?

Bringing this back up from a month ago - a few asked about the lawsuit or wacky circumstance that would have lead to this awful policy, and the brain drain that was sure to follow. Turns out they're organizing the company into business units and selling the largest, highest revenue unit! Can't have people leaving until the sale is over and everyone can be properly laid off by the buyers at severely reduced/eliminated severance. We reward loyalty at this company! Oh and there was another round of layoffs.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I got back from vacation today. Getting several variations on the "Hi with no context" message. Ignoring them all.

"Hey GNF. Welcome back!"
"Hi! I'm sure you're relaxed after that vacation!"
"Hope your vacation was good!"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I got back from vacation today. Getting several variations on the "Hi with no context" message. Ignoring them all.

"Hey GNF. Welcome back!"
"Hi! I'm sure you're relaxed after that vacation!"
"Hope your vacation was good!"

I assume these are Professional Enemies (they typically need things from you) and not Professional Friends (you typically need things from them)?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Semi-Protato posted:

Bringing this back up from a month ago - a few asked about the lawsuit or wacky circumstance that would have lead to this awful policy, and the brain drain that was sure to follow. Turns out they're organizing the company into business units and selling the largest, highest revenue unit! Can't have people leaving until the sale is over and everyone can be properly laid off by the buyers at severely reduced/eliminated severance. We reward loyalty at this company! Oh and there was another round of layoffs.
LOL I'd be out SO fast

e: and leave my contact info in my last email to my team. to exchange holiday cards of course.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So wework is now spiralling towards bankruptcy and is a “going concern” which has me a little worried because we have space in one with a bunch of hardware that I am NOT looking forward to getting out of there if it collapses.

Hopefully we get our own space (locally) soon!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We have space but fortunately no critical infrastructure in there.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Zarin posted:

I assume these are Professional Enemies (they typically need things from you) and not Professional Friends (you typically need things from them)?

Yeah. The coworkers that I like all know to send me as much context as possible in a message when reaching out for something, and vice versa.

So far, the couple folks that got antsy waiting for me to acknowledge their message ended up asking if I saw their email from when I was on vacation. "No, I was on vacation. Please reply to it to bring it to the top of my inbox."

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Nothing but respect for this AVP who is on leave with the following OOO message:

"I am out of the office and not monitoring emails."

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

priznat posted:

So wework is now spiralling towards bankruptcy and is a “going concern” which has me a little worried because we have space in one with a bunch of hardware that I am NOT looking forward to getting out of there if it collapses.

Hopefully we get our own space (locally) soon!

Heh, iirc in accounting "going concern" is a good thing (meaning that there is no reason to assume they will not keep going indefinitely).

"No longer a going concern" is when people start looking to end-date the organization.

Maybe if you're lucky, should WeWork falter, maybe you can work out a deal with the owner of the building to keep your equipment there for awhile longer. :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jenkl posted:

Nothing but respect for this AVP who is on leave with the following OOO message:

"I am out of the office and not monitoring emails."

eh, if you're anything vaguely financial this might be a mandatory time away thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Zarin posted:

Heh, iirc in accounting "going concern" is a good thing (meaning that there is no reason to assume they will not keep going indefinitely).

"No longer a going concern" is when people start looking to end-date the organization.

Maybe if you're lucky, should WeWork falter, maybe you can work out a deal with the owner of the building to keep your equipment there for awhile longer. :v:

Sorry I meant they said something about how they might have difficulty being a going concern or whatever.. Whenever I see those two words together in a statement from a company it’s usually in the bad way :haw: (An ex-company that I had bought out my options for when I left kept sending me their financial reports with that phrase and they were pretty close to insolvency a couple times before getting bought out, I did alright on the shares!)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Yeah, being a "going concern" means that you're broadly sustainable and active in whatever context you're referring to. It can seem bad because there are relatively few contexts in which you have to address the question of whether you're a going concern that aren't negative.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Our risk management spreadsheet at my previous job had “going concern issues” as a potential consequence.

It was somehow weighed higher than someone getting killed on the job.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Well if you’re killed it’s a one time concern.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We keep getting questions that are already answered by our “everything is fine, there are no cash flow issues and of course we have no substantial doubts about our ability to continue as a going concern” shirts.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Vasudus posted:

Well if you’re killed it’s a one time concern.

That means less payroll liability short term.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Our risk management spreadsheet at my previous job had “going concern issues” as a potential consequence.

It was somehow weighed higher than someone getting killed on the job.

For the business that’s accurate

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
And actually as a bonus for someone since corpo probably took a life insurance claim out on you.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"infrastructure in a WeWork" means laptops or maybe desktops and maybe a home NAS right?

Right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

They have a program where you can colocate servers and stuff.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They have a program where you can colocate servers and stuff.

Oh my god.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Would definitely be concerned about getting those out of a place teetering on the edge! And kind of a weird decision to put them with wework to begin with, instead of all the dedicated-to-that-purpose shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Disciple Luo asked: Master, what is virtue?

Master Hai said: In the reign of the King of Product Development, there were two high officials in the Ministry of Product Management. One was wild and belligerent, quarrelling with the other ministries, beating their subordinates, and achieving nothing, but always speaking loudly and publicly about how busy they were. The other was cautious and managed their team carefully, delivering on projects on time, avoiding quarrels and cleaning up after their colleague’s fuckups. One was virtuous and the other was not.

Disciple Luo asked: Which official was virtuous?

Master Hai said: You are not yet wise. The first official was virtuous.

Disciple Luo replied: Picking quarrels and achieving nothing, how is this called virtue? Doing their job and calming chaos, how is this called vice?

Master Hai said: Virtue is the fulfilment of your line manager’s personal objectives. Vice is doing literally anything else. The first official caused trouble in the ministries and achieved little, and therefore was a convenient scapegoat whenever their line manager wanted one, while also being clearly inferior to their line manager. The second was merely a competent official. Competent officials are often found. Excellent patsies are not often found. The first official was virtuous.

Disciple Luo said: Master, this is wisdom.