Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Toxxupation posted:

man

once the first intermission in act 6 happens the quality is just night and fuckin' day

hey look at these boring alpha shitheads bein awful, oh wait now it's jade and john all god-tier talkin to one another

this is great

why can't the whole act be just this

Because hussie's big plan all along was these alpha kids taking over. Which was fine when homestuck was going to be a year.

But to have a story suddenly lose all existing character development saps the life out of it.

There's no characterization or plot he could have given these kids that would fix the pacing problems of that story structure.

Luckily it slowly comes back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

Just wait

Just wait

You'll get your teentalk time

Oh yes you will

Stop making coy words with your stupid Internet face

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

Stop making coy words with your stupid Internet face

Teenagers will be talking in Homestuck?

Perish the thought!

Though for real, when did he drop out of reading it again? He's said stuff about Aranea but I forget if he ever got to Game Over or not. I don't want to actually spoil certain things because holy poo poo his reaction would be priceless

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

Teenagers will be talking in Homestuck?

Perish the thought!

Though for real, when did he drop out of reading it again?

He tried to reread but dropped it again around Act 2 or so (he's easily distracted). Once he hit Hivebent on this go-round he was able to grit his teeth and go in for the long haul.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

He tried to reread but dropped it again around Act 2 or so (he's easily distracted). Once he hit Hivebent on this go-round he was able to grit his teeth and go in for the long haul.

This will be fun.

Also no wonder he has such awful opinions of Act 6 as a whole.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm assuming that the implied rule is that we don't spoiler-tag in general, but we also don't spend time taunting Toxx with hints about what lies ahead? Good.

I just noticed this from the whole lilypad sequence:

quote:

VRISKA: 8UT, as I mentioned, in the event Jade wakes up for some reason, she should 8e reserved exclusively for this fight. [dog-tier Jack]
VRISKA: That means someone needs to tell her, if not in person, then some other way.
VRISKA: Perhaps leave a reminder for her. May8e tied to her finger or something. :::;)

Still waiting to see if the red note is from Dave, Karkat, or Terezi (it being her favorite color).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I just read the pony pals section

it was hilarious, but it's so disappointing that's one of dirk's only real moments of competence and now all that's left is him bein a creepy awful weirdo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

So I just read the pony pals section

it was hilarious, but it's so disappointing that's one of dirk's only real moments of competence and now all that's left is him bein a creepy awful weirdo

Okay so I don't know where it is but

BUT

Some one actually made that a real thing.

This is a thing that exists on the internet and I hope some one saved the link to it and can repost it.

Some one perfectly recreated Pony Pals as Hussie as Dirk with all of the fuckery and amazing quality involved. For the ENTIRE BOOK. It is one of the best things crafted by this fandom. And I wouldn't doubt if Hussie himself was behind it

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The thing is, Dirk gets better. He realizes what a jerk he's been and he tries to make amends. If you reread the post-trickster pre-God-Tier section, Dirk apologizes to Jane, talks about what he admires about Roxy (and asks Jane to convey it), and regrets what he did to Jake. Jake doesn't own up to any of his own mistakes. DIrk is a manipulative jerk who tries to get better. Jake is a passive, self-centered (see poor Jane's birthday) victim who collapses into depression. One can see good qualities in Dirk that need to be encouraged. I can't say the same for Jake.

John is loving and true and brings out the best in people. Dave is funny and (painfully) honest and tries to protect people. Dirk was raised by robots and is trying to become a better human being. Jake? Is a vacuum. He doesn't deserve Vriska, but who does?

I think Jakes biggest problem is that on top of just not being a very bright dude to begin with, he's also likely got severe brain trauma and is probably hampered mentally because of it. Which means that, in the long run, he's not linking "my friends need time away from me because they had lovely possessive habits over me" -> "this is healthy and good", and instead is linking "My friend need time away from me" -> "I am a useless obnoxious tool who can do no right".

It might not be so much that he's just a mopey sadsack, but moreso that for whatever reason, he's not able to realize or comprehend that his friends aren't avoiding him, they're giving him space. And all he's known is absolute isolation surrounded by monsters (like right now), and a cloying, almost possessive sense of community that he is "Their" Jake.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Burkion posted:

Okay so I don't know where it is but

BUT

Some one actually made that a real thing.

This is a thing that exists on the internet and I hope some one saved the link to it and can repost it.

Some one perfectly recreated Pony Pals as Hussie as Dirk with all of the fuckery and amazing quality involved. For the ENTIRE BOOK. It is one of the best things crafted by this fandom. And I wouldn't doubt if Hussie himself was behind it

wait for it

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah I thought that could be kind of interesting. Like come through and woah what the gently caress happened to Prospit, what do you mean the Batterwitch is HIC is in charge of Derse, whose this hawty in jail, where are this dude's pants, Dave your bro did WHAT?

On the downside, we'd lose Pony Pal Detective Club and that eventually led to this loving masterpiece here so really it's a wash.

LET'S RIDE MOTHERFUCKERS

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Classtoise posted:

I think Jakes biggest problem is that on top of just not being a very bright dude to begin with, he's also likely got severe brain trauma and is probably hampered mentally because of it. Which means that, in the long run, he's not linking "my friends need time away from me because they had lovely possessive habits over me" -> "this is healthy and good", and instead is linking "My friend need time away from me" -> "I am a useless obnoxious tool who can do no right".

It might not be so much that he's just a mopey sadsack, but moreso that for whatever reason, he's not able to realize or comprehend that his friends aren't avoiding him, they're giving him space. And all he's known is absolute isolation surrounded by monsters (like right now), and a cloying, almost possessive sense of community that he is "Their" Jake.

Jake's biggest problem: he's too hot for his own good.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have two questions, one important and one very important.

Important question: why is everyone so sure that Jake's problem is brain trauma and not standard issue stupidity?

Very important question: has anyone here actually read a Pony Pals book in their tender years?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Blackheart posted:

Jake's biggest problem: he's too hot for his own good.

He was asking for it by stuffing those Grade A hams into those man-panties.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have two questions, one important and one very important.

Important question: why is everyone so sure that Jake's problem is brain trauma and not standard issue stupidity?

Very important question: has anyone here actually read a Pony Pals book in their tender years?

It's been referenced quite often in the narrative and by other characters that Jake has suffered repeated blows to the head when otherwise it would seem superfluous to mention. Although it could very likely just be an "adventuring is dangerous and Lara Croft probably has brain damage after all of it" joke, some people think it's legitimate.

You could call it a...Jake-Head Canon :c00lbutt:

Literally no part of me is sorry for that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's also part of the general thing where everyone discounts Jake's intelligence and ability because he is The Chick.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

It's also part of the general thing where everyone discounts Jake's intelligence and ability because he is The Chick.

People discount Jake's intelligence and ability because he is the Useless Time-Wasting Dipshit Who Never Does Anything Right, I Mean Anything At All, Holy poo poo, Kid, You've Fallen Far Since We First Saw You And We First Saw You Fondling Neytiri Posters.

It's not completely his fault, but the fact that a lot of the meandering bullshit in early Act 6 was centered entirely around him means that a lot of that hate gets passed down to him as well. Dirk was also taking a lot of heat, but then he had actual character development and people backed off. Jake never moved anywhere but down. He's Tavros with half the self-awareness and ten times the focus.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Burkion posted:

A Correct Post.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Well, Arania directly implied that there were physical problems with his brain that were impeding his development. I guess you could argue that stupidity could be a physical defect of the brain, but it seemed more likely that it was brain damage. I suppose the main difference between 'Jake is stupid because he has brain damage' and 'Jake is stupid because he doesn't try to improve' is that, well, one can be fixed by Jake himself.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Classtoise posted:

It's been referenced quite often in the narrative and by other characters that Jake has suffered repeated blows to the head when otherwise it would seem superfluous to mention. Although it could very likely just be an "adventuring is dangerous and Lara Croft probably has brain damage after all of it" joke, some people think it's legitimate.

Remember the long period when Bro beating up Dave was "just a joke"? IJS.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Remember the long period when Bro beating up Dave was "just a joke"? IJS.

Yeah, this got me thinking of Jakes head trauma, too.

"Hohoho, Bro is such an abusive older brother!" became "No, seriously, Bro was abusive as gently caress".

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Jake also mentions taking too many hits in the head lately and that he's just not the same anymore as a result.

At least I'm pretty sure he does bring this up in a conversation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Jake also mentions taking too many hits in the head lately and that he's just not the same anymore as a result.

At least I'm pretty sure he does bring this up in a conversation.

As it happens, I just reread those bits seconds ago.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006914

quote:

Ow, your head. The old noggin has been getting a workout lately, and you don't mean the kind you get from puzzles. Good thing your trusty SKULLTOP took some of the brunt. Also, good thing your trusty SKULL took the rest of it. The sturdy bone really makes for a splendid backup helmet, you think.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006918

quote:

These aren't the kind of things that usually occur to you though, especially after several blows to the head. You continue staring vacantly at the dancing fruit, while that kind of thing keeps not occurring to you.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Jake being self centred sort of makes sense to me since literally everyone he's ever known is constantly talking about how much of a hot manstuf he is and how much ppeople want his dick and oh Jake Jake Jake Jake.

I'm interested to hear Toxx's opinions on Act 6 because any time I've heard people talk about reading it a second time it's about how much better it is, whereas I actually enjoyed it less because the first time I read it I still had the hot glow of thinking Homestuck was amazing and perfect, whereas now I've been worn down by pauses and nearly everything pre-game over to having a more realistic appreciation for this good comic I still enjoy to realise that part 6 mostly kinda blows.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

quote:

This is seriously some Alice in Wonderland poo poo going on here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jake's entire life has been teaching him to think that he's the main character in his own movie. Even when he's being genuinely sympathetic toward others it's in such a way that it reflects back on him. He's a prop to others, and he treats others as props to him. Since his introduction, he has realized both of these facts, but has yet to grapple with them in a way that doesn't just make them more true. It's a tricky paradox to unpack in the short time that remains to him.

Anyway. If you think about it, doesn't the very act of seeing make one a seer of light? What else is one going to see other than light? And why wouldn't anybody alive not be made of life? Also everybody breathes the air of breath.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

There are wavelengths of light that we can't see. But not a Seer of Light. They see all of the light. All of it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Anyway. If you think about it, doesn't the very act of seeing make one a seer of light? What else is one going to see other than light? And why wouldn't anybody alive not be made of life? Also everybody breathes the air of breath.
We've established that "light" and "heart" and "blood" , for three, don't mean what you think they mean. Vriska is the Thief of Light, but what she steals is luck, not literal light. Dirk's "Prince of Heart" is actually "Destroyer of Souls". And whatever "blood" means, it's not literal blood; recent updates suggest that it has to do with relationships, bonds, that sort of thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

Oxxidation: man you are diving back into the homestuck pool with both feet
well
jumping

Toxxupation: i hate you

Oxxidation: diving is headfirst

Toxxupation: i hate you so much
you know that

Oxxidation: hey, mister
*Oxxidation twitches trenchcoat aside*
...ya wanna read some promstuck

Toxxupation: did that thing ever finish

Oxxidation: yup
very well
look
tell
you what
i'll just leave this riiiiight here
what you do with it, totally up to you
especially when you're wandering the alpha-kid wastes
http://promstuck.tumblr.com/tagged/promstuck/chrono

Toxxupation: you're a bad person
you know this right
if you know this i can at least sorta tolerate it

Oxxidation: good can't help but do a little evil, occ

This is still fun.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Oxxidation posted:

This is still fun.

i hope you get sent to jail

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Oxxidation posted:

This is still fun.

didn't one of you two do some content for homestuck in some way? i know I'm setting myself up to some big oh poo poo moment here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pandaK posted:

didn't one of you two do some content for homestuck in some way? i know I'm setting myself up to some big oh poo poo moment here.

Not really. I wrote some of the lyrics for a song that later made it on one of the fan-albums but I don't lay any claim to it.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We've established that "light" and "heart" and "blood" , for three, don't mean what you think they mean. Vriska is the Thief of Light, but what she steals is luck, not literal light. Dirk's "Prince of Heart" is actually "Destroyer of Souls". And whatever "blood" means, it's not literal blood; recent updates suggest that it has to do with relationships, bonds, that sort of thing.

Or the game is dynamically generating extremely dramatic ways to call them all the Dave of Guy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

trudging through the slog of act 6 i realize that calliope is actually this super depressing character full of pathos and regret, really she nails the "Feel" that huss tried to go for with the alpha session of a bunch of doomed players trudging against the inevitable all Sisyphus style, but none of it works because calliope is just this boring exposition machine like 99% of the time she's onscreen

i mean think about it, she shares a body with her pseudo-brother, who hates her and plots her death every moment he's alive so he can become lord english and destroy the universe, so she's literally chained to her bed for her entire waking life (literally speaking), she then spends every day of her miserable life pretending to be a troll, up to and including wearing fake troll horns so she can pretend for even one second that her situation isn't as self-evidently horrible as it is

she then affects forced cheer whenever talking to anyone else and writes fanfiction about the fuckin' alpha kids because her day to day is so alternately boring and horrifying

but you get NONE of that pathos and depression because calliope is, instead, the boring as gently caress grey text lady who overexplains everything to everyone she talks to

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's about the gist of her.

We'll see if anything comes of it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toxxupation posted:

trudging through the slog of act 6 i realize that calliope is actually this super depressing character full of pathos and regret, really she nails the "Feel" that huss tried to go for with the alpha session of a bunch of doomed players trudging against the inevitable all Sisyphus style

tbh i thought this was perfectly clear but i guess for some people it's subtext?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Tollymain posted:

tbh i thought this was perfectly clear but i guess for some people it's subtext?

Because 99% of the text text is boring exposition, like Toxx said.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Toxxupation posted:

trudging through the slog of act 6 i realize that calliope is actually this super depressing character full of pathos and regret, really she nails the "Feel" that huss tried to go for with the alpha session of a bunch of doomed players trudging against the inevitable all Sisyphus style, but none of it works because calliope is just this boring exposition machine like 99% of the time she's onscreen

i mean think about it, she shares a body with her pseudo-brother, who hates her and plots her death every moment he's alive so he can become lord english and destroy the universe, so she's literally chained to her bed for her entire waking life (literally speaking), she then spends every day of her miserable life pretending to be a troll, up to and including wearing fake troll horns so she can pretend for even one second that her situation isn't as self-evidently horrible as it is

she then affects forced cheer whenever talking to anyone else and writes fanfiction about the fuckin' alpha kids because her day to day is so alternately boring and horrifying

but you get NONE of that pathos and depression because calliope is, instead, the boring as gently caress grey text lady who overexplains everything to everyone she talks to

But that's the thing: Caliborn is trapped in the exact same situation as Calliope. He's chained to a wall and stuck in the same body as someone who hates him and, if given enough time, will eat his soul. Calliope wants to kill Caliborn, she just has enough social graces to realize she shouldn't be talking to the humans about it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It certainly feels like if Hussie had infinite time and maybe a few editor chums to redraft Homestuck, the value of things like the Alpha kids letting the Beta kids work out their issues with their guardians or the whole Calliope/Caliborn thing could be captured better and more succinctly. Fewer trolls might've also helped. The big picture ideas are usually pretty sound and update-to-update the comic's great, it's just the pacing and story structure that's all lopsided.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Dolash posted:

It certainly feels like if Hussie had infinite time and maybe a few editor chums to redraft Homestuck, the value of things like the Alpha kids letting the Beta kids work out their issues with their guardians or the whole Calliope/Caliborn thing could be captured better and more succinctly. Fewer trolls might've also helped. The big picture ideas are usually pretty sound and update-to-update the comic's great, it's just the pacing and story structure that's all lopsided.

Hussie once made a remark as to Homestuck being an experiment, his real Magnum Opus being still to come.

I wonder if that'll be true though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

NewMars posted:

Hussie once made a remark as to Homestuck being an experiment, his real Magnum Opus being still to come.

I wonder if that'll be true though.

He seems pretty committed to his game studio now, what with 8 announced releases already on the horizon, and having outsourced his presumably quite lucrative merchandising enterprise to focus attention on game development.