Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I do think that Basilicanum Grey can look pretty good as a non-metallic silver. Especially on the mace that the Stormcast Eternal was holding. The yellows they use in place of gold, on the other hand, really don't look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
They should have just called the range "flesh and cloth"

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
It's a good video, but I guess I'm just one of those people who thinks that Stormcast Etenal looks pretty cool.

I'm gonna keep doing my Imperial Fists the way I normally do, but I'm still excited to try it out on some of the unpainted poo poo I have.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lizard Combatant posted:

They should have just called the range "flesh and cloth"

For sure that's where these will be most useful.

I'm looking forward to painting skin with them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was really pleased with Black Templar for Salamander skin

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Tadhg posted:

I don't feel so good

Oh, no, here it comes

Bleeeagh

Deepstriking

FOR THE EMPRAH

SPESS MAHRINES

Welcome to Something Awful, a Comedy Forum

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Warhammer 40,000: Picture a Doc Thunder Marine Stomping on an Eldar Rape Diorama Forever

edit: I almost forgot this guy somebody shelled out thirty bucks for :vomarine:

How loving dare you forget my timeless classic

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Texmo posted:

I don't really think GW have been pushing contrast paints as a magical solution that will make you a professional quality painter with minimum effort - more that they're a magical solution that'll help transform Grey Legions into Battle Ready forces, with a low enough barrier to entry that it'll be appealing to gamers who don't have a lot of time or patience for painting 200 ork boyz.
To me, their message has been consistently that Contrast paints get easier and better looking Battle Ready results than base+shade+optional drybrush, which they absolutely do.

Yeah, I mean I am intending to pick up a couple of the contrast paints when I next go to GW (most likely on the 29th for Warhammer Day), because I fall into the 'lack of time and patience' category. Right now, I finally getting back to work on the Blood Angel Tactical Squad, and I'm annoyed with doing the pin-wash, and it seems like it's going to come out terribly. Seeing how well the Blood Angels Red contrast paint seems to work, I'd do the rest of the squad up with it (though half of them are primed with red primer, so that's not really an option).

I guess it also creates a weird kind of dilemma for me: I see some cool models and I want to get them. It's fun building them, but painting them sometimes feels like a chore, and it's frustrating when it comes out poorly. Contrast paints seem to take some of the tedium out from the process. At the same time, though, it seems like it's aimed more toward those who are looking to just get armies out on the tabletop quickly. However, I don't play the tabletop game, so it makes me think that I should focus on trying to do thing the traditional way, and taking the former points into consideration, I start to question myself about whether or not I really enjoy doing this.

On the flip-side, my goal isn't to win a Golden Demon or to impress people, but just to relax and try to put something creative together, so having something that makes the process easier while still yielding good looking results is nice. I also think I might have a better time if I worked with colors that are easier to do.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I wish they released contrasts but for building because the tedium of cleaning up models saps all the energy out of me.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I like contrast paints. Results to follow.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

I wish they released contrasts but for building because the tedium of cleaning up models saps all the energy out of me.

It's called the mold line remover.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm keen to try out contrast paints but right now I have nothing suitable to use them on, and there aren't really any models I want to buy just for the sake of trying new paints. It would have been great to have them 10 years ago before I threw together 200+ low-effort gaunts, but they're all (badly) painted now and I can't bring myself to try stripping & redoing them. Beyond that all I really have on my pending list is a pair of already Leadbelcher-primed AdMech characters and ~15 Chaos Black-primed GSC models. Not really enough to buy a whole new paint range for.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

It's called the mold line remover.

Didn’t realise people actually used that over a sharp xacto blade.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

ijyt posted:

Dumb as it might seem, I vastly prefer the mold line remover thing for plastic mold lines over an xacto blade.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

If you want to go fast it's far less likely to accidentally damage your model. And it has a curved edge which is a godsend for those curved parts.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 15, 2019

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
It's a convenient tool being thicker than an Xacto knife so it's stronger and you don't have a sharp edge to be aware of lest you gouge the model getting into tight spaces or yourself if you drop it or need to choke up on the grip. And the full surface is usable including just the end if it's somewhere really narrow. I wouldn't necessarily buy one on its own for $10 or whatever they go for, but a cheap way to fetch one is the Age of Sigmar paint set. It's basically the tool without a handle riveted on. I built a handle onto it pretty easily with moldable thermoplastic beads.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
People make fun of the mold line remover, but I use it constantly and almost never use a blade (sharp edge or blunt) unless making custom pieces. Snips and line remover are all I use on every kit.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Been wanting a mold line remove ever since I got a chance to use one at the LGS. A knife works fine as well but I do have a tendency to remove nubs and such a bit to forcefully and leave slight gouges.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finally used the back of an X-acto to scrape lines and it was surprisingly effective.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Having used them all now, Aethermatic Blue is an amazing standout and easily the highlight of the range for me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is it really that much to buy one it's like a couple dollars more than a shade pot or one of the not a sex tool paint handles. It's not like it's disposable or anything.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

moths posted:

I finally used the back of an X-acto to scrape lines and it was surprisingly effective.

I just run the edge backwards.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bonus to using the moldline remover... You have a zero percent chance of poking yourself and drawing blood

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
How exaggerated is the rate of hobby knife mishaps? I've yet to annoint mine with my blood because i respect the fact that it can royally gently caress me up.

My sprue cutters, on the other hand...

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I thin my paints with the blood from my hobby knife mishaps. The flowing wounds also help impart a sense of urgency for batch painting.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I've poured an entire bottle of super glue on my hand and had to use a sanding wheel on my dremmel to get it off (it was the middle of the night and had no solvent). I guess I could have gone out, but it worked really well on a low setting.

Pinching the skin with the bits of metal behind the pivot on a set of snips though, that's the worst.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Broken Record Talk posted:

So, Blood Ravens have an Index Astartes thing in the next White Dwarf, apparently.

:getin:

Wonder if they're getting new transfers/upgrade kits.

Went along to my LGS' contrast demo thing and while I think the end result was hella splotchy, all things considered I think it'll be good for getting My Dudes battleready. Not that much worse than my regular hamhanded technique and at tabletop distance you'd never tell. Just kinda bummed that I didn't get either of the sprays since there was mixup and our store didn't get any.

And it works like magic on faces, which is definitely one of my weakest points.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I while I’m mostly just buying some to play around, I am excited for the prospect of getting my Genestealers and Poxwalkers batch painted in record time.

I’m a bit excited also for Black Templar, since the results for that look good and I’ve got a bunch of BSF Black Legion and cultists to paint.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just run the edge backwards.

Edging is always the answer.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

The Jumpoff posted:

How exaggerated is the rate of hobby knife mishaps? I've yet to annoint mine with my blood because i respect the fact that it can royally gently caress me up.

I was under 10 when I started using them, so knife and superglue accidents were frequent

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The Jumpoff posted:

When people are doing this...

moths posted:

...it's quite high.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

When people are doing this...

...it's quite high.

Makes sense then. I use the back of my sprue cutters for flash removal so i've never stabbed myself doing it.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

The Jumpoff posted:

I don't think I've ever built a model without bleeding at some point, hell i don't think I've painted a model without bleeding at some point.

I... am not a careful person. Last time i was drilling barrels I gouged out a part of my thumb.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I don't think I've ever built a model without bleeding at some point, hell i don't think I've painted a model without bleeding at some point.

I... am not a careful person. Last time i was drilling barrels I gouged out a part of my thumb.

You're not a true hobbiest until you realise that the pot of Blood for the Blood God never needs to actually be opened.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

richyp posted:

You're not a true hobbiest until you realise that the pot of Blood for the Blood God never needs to actually be opened.

Everyone knows your models fight harder when they've been anointed with blood.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Z the IVth posted:

Everyone knows your models fight harder when they've been anointed with blood.

It's the other-other medium.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
cells come in red, white and blue

:911:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

richyp posted:

It's the other-other medium.

And a true hobbyist would never let anything like a cut stop them anyway. All of us have superglue.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ijyt posted:

The mould line remover is awesome, but it’s a tad overbuilt with the handle not being the most wieldy. I use it these days when I need to blend an edge of plastic together, basic mould line removal, and scraping subassembly paint away.

For smaller areas I still use the back of my knife, however I use a specific blade:

Excel Blades #16 Stencil Edge Scoring Blade, 5 Pack, American Made Replacement Hobby Blades https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006O5JS8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_31qbDbC2MQ5PF

These first have a blade edge that allows you to cut facing inward without having the annoyance of the bottom of the blade slipping into your thumb.

On the non-blade side, there’s a section in the middle that’s flattened and a bit thicker that is like a mini version of the citadel remover.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My contrast paint order shipped finally from GWS webstore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My local GW store has a ludicrous amount of Contrast available, I'm curious how LGS will be stocked.

My LGS has had a couple incidents with GW shipping things late in the last year or so, the most notable being Orktober releases coming out a week late