Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mlmp08 posted:

Expand for huge

:eyepop: Mil Mi-26

I’ve never seen it in relation to anything else before. The Soviets sure liked their large boy choppers huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
The Mi-10 is one nice high steppin' lady. Bet even 757 pilots are jealous of all that leg.

e: holy poo poo it could move a loving train engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2JPqD2qoM0

Craptacular posted:

The Comanche is on there, and it never went past prototype.

If we want to talk prototypes, where's the Mil V12?

:psyboom:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mazz posted:

I assume the intro of the E-3 was a big part of it as well, as it seems to coincide with the AWACS mission really blossoming in effectiveness. A quick glance says 77ish. The platforms existed but you basically don’t hear about them in a essential-to-ops way as the E-3s now. At least I never have.

AWACS/GCI and the rise of BVR likelihood are most definitely tied at the hip. The E-3 hit IOC in 77 iirc; prior to that EC-121s were doing similar work as well as picket AEW missions all over the drat place. They controlled quite a few intercepts during the Vietnam War, but nothing like what we saw in Desert Storm then Northern/Southern Watch.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

david_a posted:

I’ve never seen it in relation to anything else before. The Soviets sure liked their large boy choppers huh

The Mi-26 tail rotor is about as big as the main rotor on some light helicopters.

I was just surprised that any chart would include the S-67 and not the Cheyenne. I love the S-67 for various reasons, but neither helicopter got past the prototype stage and the Cheyenne was a hell of a lot more important by most measures.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
why do russia always got to have the biggest dick stuff

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

Took the wrong lessons from Hitler's biggest dick stuff?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Took the wrong lessons from Hitler's biggest dick stuff?

Well, more of authoritarian states in general being wayyyyy more susceptible to the temptation to go for the biggest dick stuff.

Also a dash of being unable to keep up with technology when it came to miniaturization leading to the need for larger platforms to match performance of Western planes/missiles. The Su-27 is a good example in that it's very similar to the F-15 in performance but had to be notably larger to pull it off. Same deal with the Tu-160 vs. the B-1A.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

david_a posted:

I knew the Mi-26 was overly large, but did not know that it is so large as to make a CH-53 look small. The -53 is the size of a small house! It's like a singlewide mobile home with a tail boom. :eek:

Thing must be loud as gently caress. I've had a 3-ship of USMC CH-53Es fly low over my house and the vibration knocked things off shelves, I can only imagine what something that size would sound/feel like to be under if it was in a hurry at low altitude.

Also seconding the sentiment of "boo, no V-12". Minor boo for not including the CH-53K, but I'll allow that omission because the image may be old.

Edit: the big Sikorsky is surprisingly powerful for its size, the new CH-53K is only 5 tonnes less lifting capacity than the Mi-26, and just a little over half the empty weight. To be fair, it's meant to sling-load cargo dangling underneath, the Mi-26 maximizes interior volume for carrying troops.

Also, fun fact: the fuselages of helicopters are built as lightly as possible, for obvious reasons. So how do you make a helo that can lift more than its own weight in external cargo? Hang it directly from the engine/transmission assembly, of course. Through a hole big enough to jump out through. The hooks at the corners of the lower hull are just to stabilize the load, it's lifted a bigass ring sticking out of the bottom of the gearbox, to which the rappelling line is attached in this video:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBMBn4prkbw

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 21, 2018

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

david_a posted:

The US got some good use of a contract Mi-26 in Afghanistan—they can sling-load a CH-47 off the side of a mountain.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

standard.deviant posted:

The US got some good use of a contract Mi-26 in Afghanistan—they can sling-load a CH-47 off the side of a mountain.

Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so, ad infinitum.

Poem by Augustus De Morgan. Photo credit: my father, Vietnam, 1970-71, reprinted by me from the original negative because his original print is hanging across the room in a frame and is way the gently caress underexposed to the point that I can just barely make out the choppers looking at it from my desk. Maybe he was intentionally making it dark for aesthetics and went too far, and I didn't go far enough, but I like my version where you can actually see the clouds.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

bewbies posted:

Would it be some combination of their doctrine and force composition:

1) Soviet deep operation doctrine: The Mi-8 could loft a BMD* + complement to somewhere behind the front lines.

2) Mmmmmaybe a relatively small pool of people the regime could trust enough to dump a bunch of rotary wing training in and not have them immediately visit West Berlin/Japan. So you want each rotary wing guy to be able to crash fly a shitload of conscripts into a minefield around.

3) Can steal more & larger cows.

*: As a bit of comedy, some of the usual suspects claim it could carry a BMP.

e: VVV Hmmm. First one built was 1977. I wonder if Canada stipulated that they had to be the oldest airframes available in the lease.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 21, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Here's a pic that always seems weird as hell to me

(Leased Mi-17 in Afghanistan for the RCAF)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Warbadger posted:

as previously mentioned, the current gen AMRAAM has a ~100 mile range.

The one thing I took away from wasting my free time watching flight sim nerd videos, is how easy you can gently caress up a missile's kinematics by doing certain maneuvers at the right time. ~100 mile range is a very specific scenario, not really a general feature, albeit much helped by launching from a stealthy supercruising platform with missiles going active p. late.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Inside the Su-57's thrust vector nozzle

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tythas posted:

Inside the Su-57's thrust vector nozzle

Is... is that in-flight?

:ohdear:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

mlmp08 posted:

another image for image gods

I would be surprised if they all had working engines at this point, less because of broken engines and more then fact we havn't bought replacement parts.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I mean, at any given time it’s a safe bet that at least one out of a a few dozen aircraft is down for maintenance.

But those 35 pictured all launched and flew same day of photo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

david_a posted:

https://twitter.com/Rotarywings1/status/1064806790590803968
Also a good comparison, not sure if it was linked or not earlier in the thread. (Probably was with my luck.)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Koesj posted:

The one thing I took away from wasting my free time watching flight sim nerd videos, is how easy you can gently caress up a missile's kinematics by doing certain maneuvers at the right time. ~100 mile range is a very specific scenario, not really a general feature, albeit much helped by launching from a stealthy supercruising platform with missiles going active p. late.

That's true but it applies equally to all missiles, so it's not really something that can be held against any particular one.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Doing some lazy worktime reading on the F15 STOL/MTD, essentially a program to review 2D thrust vectoring and maneuverability on a modified F15. It looks extremely funky:

F15B converted into STOL/MTD test plane :catdrugs:

Same airframe converted into F15 ACTIVE, a NASA test plane which retained canards but went back to standard engine nozzles (as far as I can tell) :krad:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Same airframe converted into F15 ACTIVE, a NASA test plane which retained canards but went back to standard engine nozzles (as far as I can tell) :krad:

ACTIVE had 3-d thrust vectoring nozzles.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

One of my favorite planes to use in Ace Combat

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
yeah i was about to say, the Active has been in a ton of video games and always rules

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
In AC4 it had the only thermobaric in the game and it made some of the ground attack missions comically easy. Plane owned.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Phanatic posted:

ACTIVE had 3-d thrust vectoring nozzles.
I think the upgrade to the 3D engines/nozzles happened with it was still STOL/MTD.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Didn’t know we were already doing combat ops with a 35B, here’s a video of rolling starts off the Essex LHD, the boat the first ones came from.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AzxnR-gsWzc

I’m really not sure there’s a sound I like more than a jet engines spooling up from idle to takeoff power.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 21, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Doing some lazy worktime reading on the F15 STOL/MTD, essentially a program to review 2D thrust vectoring and maneuverability on a modified F15. It looks extremely funky:

I can’t find it on the internet, but that same concept artist did another angle of a pair of STOL Eagles taking off between bomb craters. It’s pretty :goshawk:.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

mlmp08 posted:

Expand for huge

Ka-60... smdh

Kamov are sellouts

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ka-50 Havoc checking in.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mlmp08 posted:

Expand for huge

An insufficient number of these are in the (old?) Coast Guard livery. Goddamn is that a nice looking paint scheme.

E: Yeah, that's the stuff...

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 22, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so, ad infinitum.

Poem by Augustus De Morgan. Photo credit: my father, Vietnam, 1970-71, reprinted by me from the original negative because his original print is hanging across the room in a frame and is way the gently caress underexposed to the point that I can just barely make out the choppers looking at it from my desk. Maybe he was intentionally making it dark for aesthetics and went too far, and I didn't go far enough, but I like my version where you can actually see the clouds.

That's a really cool shot. I like your exposure on it also.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mazz posted:

Didn’t know we were already doing combat ops with a 35B, here’s a video of rolling starts off the Essex LHD, the boat the first ones came from.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AzxnR-gsWzc

I’m really not sure there’s a sound I like more than a jet engines spooling up from idle to takeoff power.

Taking off with a full combat load i see . . . 5 minutes fuel, 32 cannon rounds, 1/2 a sidewinder, and 2 x 5000g bombs.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hot take or...clam bake?

...right make

...brisk snake

...cool fake

god, these are awful, don't come back to me

The US Navy basically admitted that the Littoral Combat Ship looks like a massive failure

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hot take or...clam bake?

...right make

...brisk snake

...cool fake

god, these are awful, don't come back to me

The US Navy basically admitted that the Littoral Combat Ship looks like a massive failure

I'm sure the Zumwalts will cover the gaps here

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

That Works posted:

"It wasn't designed for that kind of mission."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

That Works posted:

If by "cover the gaps" you mean melting them down and using them to patch existing ships that actually work. . . then maybe?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m imagining a montage of these projects failing interspersed with “Arleigh Burke flight I”, “Arleigh Burke flight II”...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m imagining a montage of these projects failing interspersed with “Arleigh Burke flight I”, “Arleigh Burke flight II”...

That scene from Robocop 2, except naval vessels.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It would suck being the namesake of a massive boondoggle of a ship. Then again they usually name em after dead guys anyway (with a few exceptions like the carriers named for still living presidents and Jimmy C’s sub)

At least the LCS are all named for cities or concepts

E: oh man they named one for Gabrielle Giffords? That’s just mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

"Celebrating 6 decades of failed M16 replacement programs."