Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I can't believe everyone passed over this hearty lol to continue arguing with obvious trolls about sexual harassment.

:bravo:

e:

https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/956957133328830464

Ho ho ho that's a nice chaser

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

People are feeling alienated because our economy is hosed and people have less and less financial security in their lives, not because they're terrified they'll get fired for telling the new intern that sweater makes her breasts look great.

It's this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx%27s_theory_of_alienation

But even then people could just change their perspective and be a lot more hospitable. People wear good clothes to be confident and look nice. Just say her sweater looks good and leave the part about her tits out and it’s a nice compliment!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Arivia posted:

Just say her sweater looks good and leave the part about her tits out and it’s a nice compliment!

*:staredog: at her tits*

"Nice sweater Karen."

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Reince Penis posted:

I can't believe everyone passed over this hearty lol to continue arguing with obvious trolls about sexual harassment.

:bravo:

e:

https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/956957133328830464

Ho ho ho that's a nice chaser

Here's hoping it devolves into a long, drawn out battle for the control of the party with plenty of backstabbing. Come on OPC you can shoot yourself in the foot for the fourth election in a row!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arivia posted:

But even then people could just change their perspective and be a lot more hospitable. People wear good clothes to be confident and look nice. Just say her sweater looks good and leave the part about her tits out and it’s a nice compliment!

No! It's too confusing, the sjw's will change the rules on me again. First I couldn't tell racist jokes, then I couldn't use my position in the company to demand sex from underlings, now I can't even compliment the chinese guy for being a surprisingly good driver or let my new secretary know that, if she CONSENTED, I'd be happy to gently caress her brains out. I better just never talk to anyone at work ever again because I'll say some innocent word of the day the government says is illegal now. I mean it's a full time job just keeping abreast of what you can or can't say anymore, can I even say abreast now or is that sexual harassment?? Is this niggardly all over again?! See what I mean, it's so confusing, I feel alienated.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
whoops

https://twitter.com/sdbcraig/status/956993680883179521

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Lloyd no, wtf . please don't let it be him

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

We need some names

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

No! It's too confusing, the sjw's will change the rules on me again. First I couldn't tell racist jokes, then I couldn't use my position in the company to demand sex from underlings, now I can't even compliment the chinese guy for being a surprisingly good driver or let my new secretary know that, if she CONSENTED, I'd be happy to gently caress her brains out. I better just never talk to anyone at work ever again because I'll say some innocent word of the day the government says is illegal now. I mean it's a full time job just keeping abreast of what you can or can't say anymore, can I even say abreast now or is that sexual harassment?? Is this niggardly all over again?! See what I mean, it's so confusing, I feel alienated.

Don't act like there's no grey area. As we've already discussed, what may be perceived as innocent by one person, such as offering to go out for a drink, can be seen as sexual harassment by another. I think it would be stupid to pretend this hasn't led to people being more standoffish than they may have been in the past. It's also probably prevented a fuckload of sexual harassment, so I don't mean to say it's a bad thing, but it certainly has changed the way people interact with one another, and I think to some extent it's exacerbating the problems with social isolation, even if it's not responsible for causing them in the first place.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HappyHippo posted:

Here's hoping it devolves into a long, drawn out battle for the control of the party with plenty of backstabbing. Come on OPC you can shoot yourself in the foot for the fourth election in a row!

https://twitter.com/jessiecatherine/status/957013286003888128

e: also this is weird as hell:

https://twitter.com/jessiecatherine/status/956949622055989249

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

"You claim you have heard about allegations of sexual harassment by our party leader, who wields significant control over your political future? Why, the best thing for you to do would obviously be to openly confront him about it in front of all his supporters!"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

"You claim you have heard about allegations of sexual harassment by our party leader, who wields significant control over your political future? Why, the best thing for you to do would obviously be to openly confront him about it in front of all his supporters!"

Yeah I meant more the Eric Lindros connection. There's a follow on thread about that though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Don't act like there's no grey area. As we've already discussed, what may be perceived as innocent by one person, such as offering to go out for a drink, can be seen as sexual harassment by another. I think it would be stupid to pretend this hasn't led to people being more standoffish than they may have been in the past. It's also probably prevented a fuckload of sexual harassment, so I don't mean to say it's a bad thing, but it certainly has changed the way people interact with one another, and I think to some extent it's exacerbating the problems with social isolation, even if it's not responsible for causing them in the first place.

The thing is that a single comment does not make for harassment. Nobody reports somebody because they just said one slightly inappropriate thing one time. Sexual harassment is a pattern of behaviour by people who don't know how to take the hint. This is why whenever allegations come out against someone it's inevitably from MULTIPLE people. If someone is capable of even basic empathy then there is no reason why they should suddenly start worrying any more about the things they say now than they ever would have before.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Here’s where it gets confusing for me. I’ve been in many situations where I went home with a woman after a date or whatever else and then I did absolutely nothing because I was too scared that any move I make would constitute sexual assault.

Then I later found out that the girl expected me to do something because it’s been normalized that the moment a man leads a woman into his apartment that he’ll be all over her trying to gently caress her. It gets even more weird because there have been cases that happened to friends where the girl literally says “I’m not having sex with you tonight” and then she does it anyway. Sometimes what they say and what they’re doing doesn’t align and it’s extremely confusing because it feeds this narrative that she doesn’t mean what she says which leads to further problems.

I have known people counseling me to do rapey things because of poo poo like implied consent when you’re alone behind closed doors. Then there’s all these weird dating rules like how you can’t just ask because it’s awkward and kills the mood and some girls want you to be more aggressive and just do it with them and part of the fantasy for them is to let you do it. I can even begin to get into how many times I’ve missed out on sex just because I always play it safe and don’t do things that when described out of context sound like sexual assault.

So for fucks sake can we please define an acceptable pattern of behaviour so we don’t all end up losing our careers or dying forever alone because we had no idea what the gently caress we are supposed to do anymore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing is that a single comment does not make for harassment. Nobody reports somebody because they just said one slightly inappropriate thing one time. Sexual harassment is a pattern of behaviour by people who don't know how to take the hint. This is why whenever allegations come out against someone it's inevitably from MULTIPLE people. If someone is capable of even basic empathy then there is no reason why they should suddenly start worrying any more about the things they say now than they ever would have before.

And why "well why didn't you file a report 3 years ago?! Why now?!" because it can be little things that grow into a pattern that grow into harassment and sometimes you keep hoping it will just stop or maybe you're just over-reacting??

Most people will only actually go to HR as a last resort because there's still a huge stigma and legitimate fear for reporting these sort of things if it's just a simple co-worker, let alone a boss, let alone a director or the company owner. Will HR actually protect me? Even if I win, will I be ostracised as the office bitch who ruined a popular guy's life because I couldn't take a compliment? Is this worth risking my career and reputation over? Will other companies hire me if this doesn't turn out well?

Kraftwerk posted:

Here’s where it gets confusing for me.

lol source your quotes

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Kraftwerk posted:

Here’s where it gets confusing for me. I’ve been in many situations where I went home with a woman after a date or whatever else and then I did absolutely nothing because I was too scared that any move I make would constitute sexual assault.

Then I later found out that the girl expected me to do something because it’s been normalized that the moment a man leads a woman into his apartment that he’ll be all over her trying to gently caress her. It gets even more weird because there have been cases that happened to friends where the girl literally says “I’m not having sex with you tonight” and then she does it anyway. Sometimes what they say and what they’re doing doesn’t align and it’s extremely confusing because it feeds this narrative that she doesn’t mean what she says which leads to further problems.

I have known people counseling me to do rapey things because of poo poo like implied consent when you’re alone behind closed doors. Then there’s all these weird dating rules like how you can’t just ask because it’s awkward and kills the mood and some girls want you to be more aggressive and just do it with them and part of the fantasy for them is to let you do it. I can even begin to get into how many times I’ve missed out on sex just because I always play it safe and don’t do things that when described out of context sound like sexual assault.

So for fucks sake can we please define an acceptable pattern of behaviour so we don’t all end up losing our careers or dying forever alone because we had no idea what the gently caress we are supposed to do anymore.

lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

just ask her if she's DTF you goon

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kraftwerk posted:

Sometimes what they say and what they’re doing doesn’t align and it’s extremely confusing because it feeds this narrative that she doesn’t mean what she says which leads to further problems

Yes. Marriage counselors make billions a year off this phenomenon.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

WaffleLove posted:

Lloyd no, wtf . please don't let it be him

Gotta be either Lloyd Mansbridge or Kevin Newman. Ben Mulroney is gay right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

just ask her if she's DTF you goon

Sometimes that works, sometimes that backfires because the other person wants you to read their mind and make a move, and talking about it explicitly it a mood-killer for them.

Sometimes if you just make a move, it will be welcomed, sometimes it will not be welcomed, and yet other times it will be considered sexual assault. It's not really as simple as a lot of people here are making it out to be.

I think most of us just want to have mutually respectful and supportive and satisfying interpersonal and romantic relationships, and we don't want to make other people feel uncomfortable or harassed, but it's a lot easier said than done. The fact that the norms and rules of interaction are in a state of flux, and there's no widespread agreement on anything, is making that more difficult.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kraftwerk posted:

Use your words idiot.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Jan posted:

Holy poo poo, ITC actually ruled against Boeing's complaint vs Bombardier. :stare:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/956975921235480576

What's the over/under on Trump nuking NAFTA as payback?

Shame they already gave practically everything away to Airbus for basically nothing.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Arivia posted:

No one in Canada calls child molesters goofs, hth

I'm 2 pages late on this, but on the prairies at least, goof is prison slang for child molester, and some people would get very pissed off if you said it to them.

Granted, I still call my kid a goof all the time, but there are certain contexts where you don't want to use the word.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You guys can laugh at Kraftwerk if you want but there is a real problem about the way we (don’t) talk about sex in this country.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

PittTheElder posted:

Use your words idiot.

Please read what PT6A posted before you insult me. It really isn’t that easy, especially as a young man growing up with no one else but other young men to advise you. It’s the blind leading the blind and we gently caress up and make mistakes and make people feel awkward or uncomfortable. That’s how social interaction works. It’s loving messy. I know better nowadays but it doesn’t make what pt6a said any less true. Sometimes you just don’t know.

I do use my words now. I figured anyone who expects me to just jump their bones and not talk about it is probably not a good match for me anyway. But you can see how as a younger person in your teens and early 20s how all of this is still new and you will do idiotic poo poo that could come back to you a decade later as a harassment allegation all because you were just doing what you thought was expected of you to get laid.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the thing to keep in mind is that Brown and Herh didn’t do this in heir twenties and now it’s coming back to bite them. This is an ongoing pattern of behaviour that can’t be put down to being young and stupid.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

bub spank posted:

I'm 2 pages late on this, but on the prairies at least, goof is prison slang for child molester, and some people would get very pissed off if you said it to them.

Granted, I still call my kid a goof all the time, but there are certain contexts where you don't want to use the word.

Haha, this is a thing I did not know. Regional dialects!

Although I have heard people confuse the British terms "Ponce" (upper-class twit) and "Nonce" (pedophile), so it's not the first time I've seen this sort of thing.

Jordan7hm posted:

I think the thing to keep in mind is that Brown and Herh didn’t do this in heir twenties and now it’s coming back to bite them. This is an ongoing pattern of behaviour that can’t be put down to being young and stupid.

Yeah the key difference here is power dynamics. I mean, there is always a power difference in any sort of male-female interaction just because of various cultural factors, but in the specific situations being described, it's a much more direct, much less ambiguous thing where they could not reasonably make the argument that they didn't know what they were doing was wrong. They did it not because they didn't know any better - they did it because they felt that they could get away with it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 27, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh poo poo I call people goofs and things goofy all the time as a nice innocent kid-friendly insult.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Jan posted:

Holy poo poo, ITC actually ruled against Boeing's complaint vs Bombardier. :stare:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/956975921235480576

What's the over/under on Trump nuking NAFTA as payback?

he was on the verge of pullout anyway

hot take: it won't change anything, there's 6 month delay between declaration and taking effect: only thing it lets trump do is change tariffs (can't cancel TN-1 visa etc cuz those are congressional passed laws) and the lobbyists from every industry will flood into washington for 6 month convincing him not to do it

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

bub spank posted:

100% it regional. More so among prisoners from any part of Canada.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Haha, this is a thing I did not know. Regional dialects!

Although I have heard people confuse the British terms "Ponce" (upper-class twit) and "Nonce" (pedophile), so it's not the first time I've seen this sort of thing.

"Ponce" can also be a pejorative term for an effeminate and/or homosexual man, so you probably shouldn't be using that either.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
this vic fideli guys is something else lmao

does he think hes hitler or something

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kraftwerk posted:

You're supposed to just know, dude. The fact that you don't means that you're evolutionary unfit and don't get to mate or reproduce. That's the system works as intended.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 27, 2018

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bub spank posted:

Yeah Canadians def. use the term goof in prison

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

"Ponce" can also be a pejorative term for an effeminate and/or homosexual man, so you probably shouldn't be using that either.

I'm not British so I don't use either. I've just heard people misuse the latter when they probably meant the former.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm not British so I don't use either. I've just heard people misuse the latter when they probably meant the former.

I didn't mean you specifically, I meant "you" generally.

One should not use that word, if you will...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I do wonder what the current climate means for someone entering politics in say 10 years in their 40s who did stupid stuff in the 20s. How will they approach it? I’m not just talking borderline sexual harassment behaviour, but stuff like sending nude pics or posting dumb poo poo on the internet. Being really into Ayn Rand at 17, which isn’t exceptional except now your posting history is there for everyone to see. Is there going to be a mea culpa moment where you just let it all out right at the start?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

Sometimes that works, sometimes that backfires because the other person wants you to read their mind and make a move, and talking about it explicitly it a mood-killer for them.
So move on. Find someone else, who can talk about this stuff like an adult. You won't die if your dick stays dry for a night. You'll probably save yourself further trouble down the road by not having a clearly immature or neurotic sexual partner.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Millions of millennials swipe right for consent, canpol can’t seem to figure out what body language signals show interest before whipping your dicks out.