Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Y’all want a good story? I have 1 pc. I ran a raid 0 cause it’s just a gaming pc. It finally just broke and now I need to figure out how to grab my wow settings off a hardware raid 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

And no backups? :laffo:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Bro you do know where all the laptops are being built right

Yeah. My point was that on Monday, before the wfh mania really kicked off delays were already huge for even small orders.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It was new years right when they started quarantining wuhan, so people were already on a 2 week break.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

Y’all want a good story? I have 1 pc. I ran a raid 0 cause it’s just a gaming pc. It finally just broke and now I need to figure out how to grab my wow settings off a hardware raid 0.

My 2TB Samsung Evo just died, I guess the way it dies is it makes itself read-only. Because the page file is locked it took 3 hours to sign in and open notepad and I confirmed I can't save a new text document anywhere. Welp.

P.S. they call it a raid 0 because that's how much data you'll recover when it fails

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The only thing I care about is my game settings. Everything else is in the cloud.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Your wow settings were "drag all the sliders all the way right", you're welcome.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wibla posted:

And no backups? :laffo:
Backups are so passé these days. Even my laptops are cattle now.

I planned to come in to work today, didn’t take my laptop home yesterday like an idiot. Got a cough and fever today, so I flattened and reinstalled my MBP, MDM’d it and was up and running in about 30 minutes. Only thing I really missed was some SSH keys.

Windows takes me about an hour.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Pretty much. You really just need $home to live.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Your wow settings were "drag all the sliders all the way right", you're welcome.

Flashbacks to setting up my wow UI for multiple characters and roles. Could easily spend an hour or two to get it just right.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

WFH kicks off Monday, it's a ghost town. Turns out no one really NEEDS to drive 25 minutes to a newly renovated office building with all the bells and whistles and ricketa racketa. My CTO was nice enough to lend me the laptop I normally use (since i'm team lead) and an unopened dock. I hope they realize that this might just be how overnight people do from now on forever

at the same time, I will miss my 4 monitors

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Backups are so passé these days. Even my laptops are cattle now.

My personal laptop? sure. Work laptop? Would take me about a day to get it back up and running, because of all the industry specific poo poo on it. All the important poo poo is stored on the SAN anyways.

My home computer? System drive is backed up, and all my data is on my server, that's also backed up...

The thing is, that even with all the important poo poo being in the cloud these days (for a lot of people), some poo poo still needs to be backed up unless you want to recreate it, e.g. poo poo like jaegerx's wow settings :v:

The really mind boggling thing is that people bother with RAID0 in TYOOL 2020, we have loving pcie 4.0 NVMe drives now, you don't need RAID0 :cripes:

(Hell, if anything, I'd use RAID1 because storage is cheap and it would save me some :effort: getting my poo poo online again after a drive failed)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sirotan posted:

Bro you do know where all the laptops are being built right

We have managed to get dells latitudes in about ten or so days even during this crisis, EMEA logistics(to Italy) but last shipment I’ve handled came straight to China.

EDIT: the aforementioned laptops are the reasons I’m forbidden to WFH, so I’ll have to unbox, setup and hand those to users in situ so those people will happily stay at home.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 14, 2020

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

SlowBloke posted:

We have managed to get dells latitudes in about ten or so days even during this crisis, EMEA logistics(to Italy) but last shipment I’ve handled came straight to China.

EDIT: the aforementioned laptops are the reasons I’m forbidden to WFH, so I’ll have to unbox, setup and hand those to users in situ so those people will happily stay at home.

To be fair to anybody who has to stay behind in the office, if most people start WFH, your potential infection vectors still decrease with every person no longer in the office.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hollow Talk posted:

To be fair to anybody who has to stay behind in the office, if most people start WFH, your potential infection vectors still decrease with every person no longer in the office.

I would be less pissed if I didn’t knew the people I would have to set up computers for are the type that went to skiing in the mountains during an epidemic, went thru maximum contamination area to shorten the return trip, held me in a meeting for an hour to berate me about my performance(even if I belong to an entirely different chain of command) and then had me fearing for dear life when I had to stay at home afterwards due to what was (thankfully) an allergy outburst. Just a random example.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 14, 2020

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Wibla posted:

My personal laptop? sure. Work laptop? Would take me about a day to get it back up and running, because of all the industry specific poo poo on it. All the important poo poo is stored on the SAN anyways.

My home computer? System drive is backed up, and all my data is on my server, that's also backed up...

The thing is, that even with all the important poo poo being in the cloud these days (for a lot of people), some poo poo still needs to be backed up unless you want to recreate it, e.g. poo poo like jaegerx's wow settings :v:

The really mind boggling thing is that people bother with RAID0 in TYOOL 2020, we have loving pcie 4.0 NVMe drives now, you don't need RAID0 :cripes:

(Hell, if anything, I'd use RAID1 because storage is cheap and it would save me some :effort: getting my poo poo online again after a drive failed)

Honestly I built this machine for gw2 and after I stopped playing it I just let it sit. I was surprised it turned on when wow classic launched. I’m more of a console gamer. Pc is only for mmos.

I don’t remember my thinking about the raid 0. I think it was cause they were only 120gb drives. When I opened it up I found a spinning drive so no idea what’s on that.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I just tested it. I can get my mac laptop back after reinstall remotely in 45 minutes.

So yes. I’m awful about backups on my windows pc. I honestly don’t even know what to backup since all the poo poo ends up in the registry so do you just hope poo poo is in program files or something?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

This was a hell of a week to start as IT director. I'm at a vocational college now, we go online-only Monday so somehow my profs have to teach welding and automative repair on Blackboard. To top it off, the school's name just changed and my team was planning to implement all the domain changes this week!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

jaegerx posted:

I just tested it. I can get my mac laptop back after reinstall remotely in 45 minutes.

So yes. I’m awful about backups on my windows pc. I honestly don’t even know what to backup since all the poo poo ends up in the registry so do you just hope poo poo is in program files or something?

Well, theoretically all you need is your %userprofile%, including your registry hive. You just need to be very careful when you switch computers because you must change the owner of all files because your SID has changed. And you need to do this with a tool that runs as SYSTEM and knows how to deal with files that have weird ACL on them.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

CloFan posted:

This was a hell of a week to start as IT director. I'm at a vocational college now, we go online-only Monday so somehow my profs have to teach welding and automative repair on Blackboard. To top it off, the school's name just changed and my team was planning to implement all the domain changes this week!

shiiiit

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

CloFan posted:

Lesson 0: How to build a homemade welder out of household items.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CloFan posted:

This was a hell of a week to start as IT director. I'm at a vocational college now, we go online-only Monday so somehow my profs have to teach welding and automative repair on Blackboard.

Step 1: Know the phone numbers of your local fire department and burn ward in advance.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

And our nurses got kicked out of hospitals so no clinicals either. Maybe we can get them to treat the homemade welder injuries

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I wonder if every disaster recovery plan is going to include the pre-purchase of X laptops, X VPN licenses...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tokenbrownguy posted:

Holy balls, we just announced mandatory WFH AND folks get to take their monitors home.
Everyone at my wife's office did the same thing. They all posted their #wfh pics on instagram friday night.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I wonder if every disaster recovery plan is going to include the pre-purchase of X laptops, X VPN licenses...

We ordered another 5% VPN licenses. We need another 200% for everyone to WFH. So dumb.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wibla posted:

I had two raid0 Velociraptors that IMMEDIATELY went raid 1 and became a separate storage drive when I bought my first Samsung SSD. The SSD of course became my boot drive.
I don't need more than a TB of "Fast" storage anyway and it's real nice knowing that I probably don't have to worry about what's on them since they've been spun down for the last 2 years.
I am a little bit worried about my OS drive though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SSDs are so loving cheap. Please buy them everyone. Thank you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

A DR plan that involves trying to buy stuff is worthless

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

SSDs are so loving cheap. Please buy them everyone. Thank you.

you can get a terabyte for a bill these days, it's ridiculous. My first SSDs:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just now I took my first work phone call in bathrobe. What have I won?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Well, you took a phone call, so you lose by default.

I, for one, never receive phone calls. :smug:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Got a message from my manager yesterday evening to work from home until further notice. That was soon followed by a company-wide email that everyone is to work from home. Luckily, I brought my laptop with me last week, because I wasn't feeling well and didn't know if I would be able to come to work.

Not having a commute is great, but I spent last week home, and I already miss social interaction.

My new chair arrived though, so things are good after all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

To Ancillary Departments:

It is important to keep our workforce as healthy as possible during the COVID-19 outbreak. Beginning tomorrow, we will be screening and taking temperatures of all employees upon entering their department. Departments will be directed to centralized locations to check in each day.

Additional information will be provided on Monday, March 16, 2020.

:confuoot:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

nielsm posted:

Just now I took my first work phone call in bathrobe. What have I won?

Wait until you get on a videoconference with a shirt but no pants.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The one 60+ guy on my team is the only one who refuses to work from home today. Dude drives a van pool into the office too so I can only hope all of those people are WFH.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
So apparently we bought a truckload of headsets, wifi dongles, and webcams which got shipped in late morning...

The dongles turned out to be bluetooth receivers, and the headsets microphone doesn't work :v:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My university shut down for 2 weeks but my boss and I got told to come in by our director. There is nobody left on campus to support...

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Time for a LAN party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I've spent 2 hours training people on how to use Teams.

I have never used Teams before.

Credit to MS for making it reasonably intuitive