Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

Considering Google is moving their method into the CTS it's going to OP's method that will be going away.

No, google's version is just another option. The DP5 of OxygenOS for Android 10 still has OnePlus's method of gesture nav alongside Google's. Google is just saying you have to include it as an option, not that there can't be other options.

Slide from the side for back across the whole edge is just so hilariously bad and broken i'm amazed it even got out of beta even with Google being Google. It makes side context menus completely inaccessible unless you do this weird unnatural long arc drag that still only works about 40% of the time. It's an utterly and completely broken garbage system. I immediately switched back to 3 button nav on my P3 even though I haven't used anything other than the pill nav for a year.

I mean, why not just limit the back gesture to the bottom 3rd of the screen at least? That would make things usable. There are so many small tweaks they could do to make this work but they chose the worst possible route.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Merkinman posted:

Got Android 10 last night, Google must be ramping up the rollout.
How do you get the Easter Egg? I know you go to Android Version under About Phone, then tap Android Version a few times to get the large 'android' '1' and '0'. After that though, you're supposed to make the 10 into a Q but I can't get the 1 to rotate.

I forgot they did these.

Double tap the 1, holding the second tap.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So, what exactly is meant by "3 button navigation"? Does this refer to the "old" style with dedicated buttons for Back / Home / Recent Apps? If so, how do I return to that style?

With my Pixel 3 / Android 10 / Nova Launcher, now the swipe-up gesture to open the Recent Apps menu does nothing at all. I can't find anything for this in the Nova settings or 'regular' System Settings.

e; to offset all my complaining about gestures and stuff, the "swipe up to unlock/enter you pin" seems to be MUCH more sensitive such that you don't need to swipe up nearly as high on the screen, and I actually positively love this :)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 6, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sab669 posted:

So, what exactly is meant by "3 button navigation"? Does this refer to the "old" style with dedicated buttons for Back / Home / Recent Apps? If so, how do I return to that style?

With my Pixel 3 / Android 10 / Nova Launcher, now the swipe-up gesture to open the Recent Apps menu does nothing at all. I can't find anything for this in the Nova settings or 'regular' System Settings.

Settings->System->Gestures->System navigation. There should be 3 options there on the Pixel 3 now. 2 button nav, 3 button nav, and gesture nav.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Sab669 posted:

Search for System>Gestures>System Navigation for the Back, Home, Recent Apps switcher.

EFB

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 6, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Settings->System->Gestures->System navigation. There should be 3 options there on the Pixel 3 now. 2 button nav, 3 button nav, and gesture nav.

:neckbeard: Thanks! Between having that button back (SERIOUSLY gently caress whoever thought to remove it) and the easier swipe to unlock, I think I'm gonna be much happier with my phone now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This might be an app specific problem but some of my apps require me to allow access to save to my download folder EVERY TIME i try to save something from the app. Rather than remembering that yes, it's ok to save it there.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What the best/easiest way to change a battery on a Pixel 2? Me and my mom's are getting kinda crap, and while I'm just going to upgrade one I see what the Pixel 4 looks like, she'd prefer to stay on her Pixel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ubreakifix is the best way. $80 and they are trained to do it with OEM parts and should retain factory warranty (which would still be active on the P2 since it had 2 years.)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a way to prevent apps like Spotify or Google Play Music from updating the wallpaper on my lock screen? I searched around and found a few app-specific suggestions, but these answers say they break the media player control notification (stop/play buttons) typically.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

Ubreakifix is the best way. $80 and they are trained to do it with OEM parts and should retain factory warranty (which would still be active on the P2 since it had 2 years.)

Agreed. They swapped the battery on my mom's 6P and did a really nice job. Money well spent.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My cousin busted the screen on his 6 week old Pixel 3a.. He took it to a local UBreakIFix and they replaced it in an hour for $117. For a franchised repair store, I was quite surprised how fast they did it and the quality of the work. His phone looks perfect.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

bull3964 posted:

Not directed at you, but for anyone else trying to find obscure settings: the search function in the settings works pretty well. It's nice not having to memorize which sub-sub-sub menu something is buried in.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Oh joy the android 10 update has made my pixel 1 be very finicky about detecting the charging cable again.

That's annoying.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Thanks all, I'll let her know about ubreakifix!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

MagusDraco posted:

Oh joy the android 10 update has made my pixel 1 be very finicky about detecting the charging cable again.

That's annoying.

My dad's new Pixel 1 XL was giving him grief about the stock Google charging cable to the point that it seemed to only charge when it was Off...?

But after swapping it with a pretty nice braided USB-C cable I got off amazon a while back, it clicked in much more solid and fast charges normally now. Seems the stock Google cables are just cheap garbage comparatively so if you haven't, try getting a good one aftermarket and giving that a try. One like this.

Also that slider keyboard phone brings me back to my HTC Touch Pro 1/2 and Arrive Days. Man do I wish HTC would just go back to the old days and bring out a new phone made with that old slider setup for all of us that miss it. That one linked above looks drat good actually. Wonder if it would work on Sprint?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

EdEddnEddy posted:

My dad's new Pixel 1 XL was giving him grief about the stock Google charging cable to the point that it seemed to only charge when it was Off...?

But after swapping it with a pretty nice braided USB-C cable I got off amazon a while back, it clicked in much more solid and fast charges normally now. Seems the stock Google cables are just cheap garbage comparatively so if you haven't, try getting a good one aftermarket and giving that a try. One like this.

Yeah that's the same issue I've been having. I bought One of these and that eventually fixed the problem (or a random security update did) but it's started doing it again.

I guess I'll give that one a try too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

Trip report so far with Android 10 on P3XL:

Timely broken - sads (won't take over lock screen)

Hmm, realized that I'm missing this too. I haven't used anything besides Timely in a long time, but does anyone know if this something that Timely just didn't update for Android 10 and other alarm apps do full screen fine, or that's some security/privacy restriction Android 10 put in for all apps?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Have you tried clearing the app data/reinstalling the app completely to be sure it isn't some security change that is keeping it from working properly?

I ran into this a bit in the beta. Clearing the App Data got it to show the permissions popups that some apps need to work which didn't pop up normally coming from 9 to 10 and not wiping.

I guess you could go into the app settings and manually turn things on to check too, but if the app doesn't need it, do you want to turn it on? Up to you I guess.\

Not a guaranteed fix, but worth a shot.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What the best/easiest way to change a battery on a Pixel 2? Me and my mom's are getting kinda crap, and while I'm just going to upgrade one I see what the Pixel 4 looks like, she'd prefer to stay on her Pixel.

It is still in warranty, all you have to do is call Google and bitch that the battery is not lasting. They'll let you buy another and refund you when you ship the original back. They gave me no trouble returning mine when I couldn't get my compass to calibrate correctly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sourdough posted:

Hmm, realized that I'm missing this too. I haven't used anything besides Timely in a long time, but does anyone know if this something that Timely just didn't update for Android 10 and other alarm apps do full screen fine, or that's some security/privacy restriction Android 10 put in for all apps?

Hmmm, my Timely went off fine the last couple mornings. I've also used nothing else for years. Hmmm.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

incogneato posted:

Not directed at you, but for anyone else trying to find obscure settings: the search function in the settings works pretty well. It's nice not having to memorize which sub-sub-sub menu something is buried in.

I agree, I've found it's usually much faster even if you know where the setting can be found normally.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hmmm, my Timely went off fine the last couple mornings. I've also used nothing else for years. Hmmm.

It goes off for me fine, but it is just a notification now, rather than the "grabs your whole screen" it used to be. I should see if there's some new permission to allow or something, I guess.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah same for me it's not really acting like an alarm any more

The countdown timer uses the ring/notification volume now too as far as I can tell so something is up

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maybe it's time I suck it up and switch to the official stock alarm clock :smith:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Ditched Timely for AMdroid a long time ago since the former wasn't going to get supported anymore, no complaints. AMdroid even reminds you to skip alarms on holidays, which has helped me on more than one occasion.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?u=e1ce185d1894cca2bd4eb7c45&id=2b296476d4&e=90a7e3393d

BTW Nokia announced the Nokia 6.2 & 7.2

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Neither of which have NFC for the US.

Is there something I'm missing about FCC certification or licensing fees? What is it about low costs handsets that always make them exclude NFC from the US market? Is that feature THAT costly?

In other news, a new leak of the P4 shows the camera UI which revealed 8x zoom. It's unlikely that's all optical since the hump isn't large enough to house something like that, but that seems to be the max of whatever telephoto/hybrid digital zoom they are doing.

The current UI doesn't display numerical representations of zoom at all, but it appears as though 3x digital is the max.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 6, 2019

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Incessant Excess posted:

Ditched Timely for AMdroid a long time ago since the former wasn't going to get supported anymore, no complaints. AMdroid even reminds you to skip alarms on holidays, which has helped me on more than one occasion.

Why is it so complicated, I just want an alarm clock, I hate it :saddowns:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It kinda has to be because otherwise there'd be little point to using it over the system clock.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Noice, the 6.1 was unmatched for value for money at launch and the fact they're giving the 6.2 a triple lens means they're addressing it's biggest issue (mediocre camera). And Nokia's proving to be better than anyone in the update department besides Google.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 6, 2019

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Incessant Excess posted:

It kinda has to be because otherwise there'd be little point to using it over the system clock.

I like the font :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've stuck the alarm sound I've been using in timely forever into the regular clock so I guess that'll do

The sound files in the apk are all named completely differently to what they are called in the app oddly

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Reset my phone after getting the 10 update since it was feeling a little doggy and now it's a little snappier but I'm wracking my brain trying to remember how I set something up.

Before the reset I had some kind of delicate equilibrium in my gmail notification settings that made it so I wouldn't get mail notifications in the shade but the dot on the app icon still worked. I think it still showed a gmail icon on my lockscreen, but that didn't bother me. Can anyone remember how the gently caress I did this?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Will there ever be a setting that disables auto-rotate, except for when I full screen a video? That's literally the only time I ever want to rotate.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

RichterIX posted:

Before the reset I had some kind of delicate equilibrium in my gmail notification settings that made it so I wouldn't get mail notifications in the shade but the dot on the app icon still worked. I think it still showed a gmail icon on my lockscreen, but that didn't bother me. Can anyone remember how the gently caress I did this?

Long tap the icon, hit the Info i at the top of the pop-up, disable notifications for whatever account, then make sure Notification Dot on the very bottom in the drop-down menu is enabled?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sextro posted:

Will there ever be a setting that disables auto-rotate, except for when I full screen a video? That's literally the only time I ever want to rotate.

Keep orientation lock on, rotate phone when you want, click little icon that pops up down in the gesture/navigation button area, and it'll rotate your display for you

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

drat that's cool about the Off Days, I didn't know AMdroid even had that.

I like AMdroid because I -always- snooze my alarms, but sometimes I dismiss them instead. The "are you awake" notification is critical to me waking up and saved me countless times already.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

drat that's cool about the Off Days, I didn't know AMdroid even had that.

I like AMdroid because I -always- snooze my alarms, but sometimes I dismiss them instead. The "are you awake" notification is critical to me waking up and saved me countless times already.

That's a system function but yeah I love AMDroid too. My favorite feature is how it can monitor a Google Calendar with your work schedule and use that to enable or disable the alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
What is the target market for a $100 android flip-phone with a 2.8" screen?

also what the gently caress