Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

I don't know anyone who has said that. The glazes are theoretically folded into the contrasts.

It came up in a leaked list of supposed store manager statements in the dakkadakka thread that also gave us the complete leaked new paint list (and was in fact the last "leak" from that thread to be neither conclusively confirmed nor denied). My suspicion has been that it was something a store manager actually said, because everything else in those statements turned out to be true, but the manager in question just didn’t understand what the clear paints are or are for.

But, again, I wanted to test. It was possible they’d have different consistencies but be color matches.

I guess I'll pick up the likely candidates for glaze color matches in the contrast line next weekend and see if any of them are true color matches. (They won't be.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If there is one issue I have with the new paint app is that there isn't any mentions of highlights in the paint by colour steps, just "layer".

And I think they're skipping steps too. There is some weird stuff going on with the progress steps with some of the metal recipes.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 16, 2019

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Stephenls posted:

It came up in a leaked list of supposed store manager statements in the dakkadakka thread that also gave us the complete leaked new paint list (and was in fact the last "leak" from that thread to be neither conclusively confirmed nor denied). My suspicion has been that it was something a store manager actually said, because everything else in those statements turned out to be true, but the manager in question just didn’t understand what the clear paints are or are for.

That's just people being loving stupid when it was painfully obvious - and outright stated - that GW was bringing back the FW paints as-is, including the clears.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

But, again, I wanted to test. It was possible they’d have different consistencies but be color matches.

I guess I'll pick up the likely candidates for glaze color matches in the contrast line next weekend and see if any of them are true color matches. (They won't be.)

The thing is that the clears are not new paints. They're a re-release. We already knew what they are.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

The thing is that the clears are not new paints. They're a re-release. We already knew what they are.

And if I had seen anyone in possession of the old FW clear pots make a statement about whether or not they’re color-matched to the glazes, I wouldn’t have posted any of that test stuff, but no one did.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

And if I had seen anyone in possession of the old FW clear pots make a statement about whether or not they’re color-matched to the glazes, I wouldn’t have posted any of that test stuff, but no one did.

That's because nobody thought that, and those paints existed at the same time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
What was he thinking, making a post on a forum?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hy7VY0Q45w

We're getting a load of new battleforces to go along with it

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

That's because nobody thought that, and those paints existed at the same time.

Man, I don’t know what to tell you.

There existed a thread on the dakkadakka forum in which a number of claims were made about the then-upcoming new paint line release, including a complete list of new paints significantly larger than what had been officially previewed, a list of paints to be discontinued, and a variety of minor other claims. Every single leak in that thread turned out to be accurate except for two statements: 1) That some of the base paints would be moving to wash-sized bottles, and 2) that the glaze paints weren’t going away but were instead being folded into the clear airs.

1 turned out to be the result of someone reading a spreadsheet wrong, which was immediately pretty obvious because why would GW only move some base paints to larger bottles? 2 seemed unlikely, and was most likely the result of someone misunderstanding the point of the clear air paints and/or not knowing that they’d previously existed as FW paints, but had not been conclusively demonstrated to be false.

I am making a new book of swatches on a different sort of paper with a better layout, so I’d be doing swatches of the clear airs and the glazes and comparing them for my own curiosity anyway.

Should I have... not posted the results of that test here...?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Stephenls posted:

Man, I don’t know what to tell you.

There existed a thread on the dakkadakka forum in which a number of claims were made about the then-upcoming new paint line release, including a complete list of new paints significantly larger than what had been officially previewed, a list of paints to be discontinued, and a variety of minor other claims. Every single leak in that thread turned out to be accurate except for two statements: 1) That some of the base paints would be moving to wash-sized bottles, and 2) that the glaze paints weren’t going away but were instead being folded into the clear airs.

1 turned out to be the result of someone reading a spreadsheet wrong, which was immediately pretty obvious because why would GW only move some base paints to larger bottles? 2 seemed unlikely, and was most likely the result of someone misunderstanding the point of the clear air paints and/or not knowing that they’d previously existed as FW paints, but had not been conclusively demonstrated to be false.

I am making a new book of swatches on a different sort of paper with a better layout, so I’d be doing swatches of the clear airs and the glazes and comparing them for my own curiosity anyway.

Should I have... not posted the results of that test here...?

You should have not read dakka.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Plavski posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/16/pre-order-preview-bring-on-the-apocalypse/

Community article up as well.
Interesting to see its a separate game and not just a weird clunky attachment to 8th ed.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Two Beans posted:

You should have not read dakka.

Okay, "Finally conclusively confirming or denying the last claim from the dakka thread so that it's no longer relevant at all and no one ever needs to read it again" was part of my motive.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

Okay, "Finally conclusively confirming or denying the last claim from the dakka thread so that it's no longer relevant at all and no one ever needs to read it again" was part of my motive.

It seemed like you went and bought the paints purely to prove/disprove a dakka theory, which could've more easily been done by simply asking rather than trusting dakka.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

It seemed like you went and bought the paints purely to prove/disprove a dakka theory, which could've more easily been done by simply asking rather than trusting dakka.

No, I bought the glazes ages ago, and I bought the red, green, and blue clears because I, too, want to try that Knight carapace painting method from that book (albeit probably on an armiger), and I am curious whether I can get results similar to the Tamiya clears using the FW clears and not loving around with Tamiya's weird alcohol-based acrylics and toxic airbrush cleaner. Which is why I didn't buy the yellow clear.

(I did buy the Deathshroud out of curiosity, though.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 16, 2019

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The return of army boxes!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Plavski posted:

Some good looking sets. The imperial knight one in particular for a fast way in. The chaos marine is using old bikers which is kinda disappointing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Extremely excited for this.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Apocalypse looks rad, hopefully they come out with some bigger movement trays (that hold 10+ models per tray) otherwise movement for horde armies will still take ages. I heard them mention blast markers and activating detachments rather than units, i wonder if that translates to declaring attacks? Like you target whole detachments instead of units?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Jumpoff posted:

Apocalypse looks rad, hopefully they come out with some bigger movement trays (that hold 10+ models per tray) otherwise movement for horde armies will still take ages.
Glue multiple trays together.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

The Jumpoff posted:

Apocalypse looks rad, hopefully they come out with some bigger movement trays (that hold 10+ models per tray) otherwise movement for horde armies will still take ages. I heard them mention blast markers and activating detachments rather than units, i wonder if that translates to declaring attacks? Like you target whole detachments instead of units?

Is it that bad if movement trays are standardized to five units, and when you have a unit of 30 guys it just uses six movement trays that need to stay in coherency with each other?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Extremely excited for this.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I don't play knights yet but at some point 100% I'm going in with that box

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
drat, those boxes look wallet draining.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I love that AdMech box. Just all the phosphorus you can get.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The marines one just looks like 30 intercessors a captain and a naught. Weird for apoc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Inspector_666 posted:

I love that AdMech box. Just all the phosphorus you can get.

It's a shame about all the mono-pose datasmiths and yet another dominus.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Stephenls posted:

Thanks for doing the swatches dude it's neat.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

JBP posted:

It's a shame about all the mono-pose datasmiths and yet another dominus.

a manipulus would've been nice

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm here for the six pack of beep-boop friends.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

More contrast paint diddles. Painted some blood angels today with my kid. For reference, here's a DND mini he did a few weeks ago:

And here are the marines we did this morning. His marines are on the left, the two I did are on the right:

Overall I think the results are really good for the amount of work that's required. You can see on some of his models where there are splotches of thick paint he dobbed on. I guess this is intentional? He said it's gobs of blood. It doesn't look great on the legs and banner, but you get the idea.

In my opinion, the paints work quite well for their intended purpose: a combination basecoat and wash. My kid is quite heavy handed in applying them and the results are pretty sound. The cover really well with just one coat, and apply in a manner somewhere between a basecoat and wash.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Der Waffle Mous posted:

a manipulus would've been nice

I'm surprised him and the Kelermorph are still only in the KT boxes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am buying dem movement trays, even if I don't play apoc.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Stephenls posted:

Is it that bad if movement trays are standardized to five units, and when you have a unit of 30 guys it just uses six movement trays that need to stay in coherency with each other?

It's less "bad" and more "mildly inconvenient". But i play Orks, it's not just one unit of 30 guys, it's multiple units of 30 guys. In an Apoc game it could easily be 120-240 boyz and 120 gretchin for some players. Having them in 10's instead of 5's would end up saving a decent amount of time.

Safety Factor posted:

Glue multiple trays together.

This is a possibility, however. I'd prefer not to have to worry about the joins snapping though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

"Battalion Detachment"

1 HQ unit

:thunk:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eifert Posting posted:

I am buying dem movement trays, even if I don't play apoc.

I played 40k against a dude using movement trays for his cultists and was like wow! I keep trying to keep my models in 2" spacing to save them from blast weapons while people have to remind me to chill out lol.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Tadhg posted:

And keep those pics of your awesome plastic space barbies coming— you're quality.
And your warm, positive support of a fellow hobbyist is quality. <3

Because you asked, here's my latest Kill Team Crew. The Blackstone and Elite options make Guard a lot more interesting - in part because of that, touching up my old Ogryn unit is next on the hobby table after finishing some GSC stuff.

This was the Last Marbo in Scotland, purchased at the Edinburgh GW store. In honor of that, he got some Highlander warpaint. Despite being a normal-size infantry model, I wanted him to have a real "king of the jungle" vibe and the plant frond looked very Game of Thrones behind him.

Rein and Raus, who - in Blackstone Fortress - make for some of the most fun gaming I've ever experienced. Having them Indiana Jonesing around the board, swinging from space-rafters by grappling hook and snagging treasure, was supremely satisfying. Very happy to have them in Kill Team now!

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm surprised him and the Kelermorph are still only in the KT boxes.
I scour eBay every few days, but Kelermophs are still all ~$40 a pop. Heartbreaking.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 17, 2019

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

I can't mash that like button enough.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I saw a couple of contrast paint over metal pictures, but has anyone seen the black templar contrast over metal?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BuffaloChicken posted:

And your warm, positive support of a fellow hobbyist is quality. <3

This was the Last Marbo in Scotland, purchased at the Edinburgh GW store. In honor of that, he got some Highlander warpaint.

gently caress yes, this is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BuffaloChicken posted:

This was the Last Marbo in Scotland, purchased at the Edinburgh GW store. In honor of that, he got some Highlander warpaint. Despite being a normal-size infantry model, I wanted him to have a real "king of the jungle" vibe and the plant frond looked very Game of Thrones behind him.

This is so cool.