Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
do you have adhd or have you ever been tested for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bee posted:

Corporate goons, I have a problem. I'm employed by a government agency, I've been working in the HR department for about two years. The pay, culture, and perks are good and I'm not looking to leave. Up until recently the roles I worked in were very busy so I'm used to having a lot of stuff to get through and I was fine.

About 3 months ago, I moved from what was an operational role into a project-based role. It's hard to explain but I am sucking in this new role and I don't understand why. Previously, I knew the processes and applicable policies I needed to understand in order to do my roles, and I was able to prioritise my day and just work through whatever was on my plate. I got great feedback from my previous colleagues and managers. Now, I just don't feel the motivation or drive to focus and actually do the work assigned to me.

One of the projects I have is near completion but awaiting sign off from senior leadership so it's just kind of sitting there. I've taken it over from someone else who was promoted into another role, and is now on maternity leave, so I can't approach them for advice on what they were doing previously to drive the outcomes for this project. In the meantime I'm expected to report on the deliverables for this project but as senior leadership have been sitting on approving this project for months, nothing is really happening with it and there's not much to report on. So I have that sitting in the background.

The other project I have is new and involves creating a HR-related framework/corporate plan for a particular employee cohort and I'm expected to design, develop and implement it myself. Which technically, I should be able to do because I did a project planning and management unit while I was doing my postgrad studies (admittedly I did not enjoy studying this but it was a core subject for the degree I was doing), it involves an area of work I can personally relate to, and my organisation has templates galore for creation of business cases, project delivery frameworks and the like.

But I just can't seem to focus and get any kind of traction with working on this. When I open up the project delivery framework or templates it's like I'm getting writer's block and I just stare at it for a while before going off and finding some other busywork to do. It's like all the different pieces of it are overwhelming me or something. Occasionally ad-hoc tasks like organising events or doing intranet updates pop up as a part of my role and I'll jump on these and smash them out without issue. My manager is the opposite of a micromanager and he's spinning a lot of plates due to our resourcing sucking so I can't expect him to hand-hold me through this but honestly I don't think that'd be a good look for me if he did need to do that. As far as career progression is concerned, if I want to move up into a higher-paying role I would be expected to be able to manage this kind of work.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I recognise this is a weird problem to be having so I booked in a session with one of the leadership coaches through the agency's EAP, but it's not for another week :mad: so any insight or advice offered would be appreciated!

It sounds like you need help. “Hey boss, I’m having trouble attacking this project. Can I run my plan by you?”

Or “Hey boss, I think it would help me if we had weekly check-ins on this project so I can keep you updated and I can stay accountable”. Or whatever.

Nothing wrong with asking for help. Identifying that you’re struggling and knowing how to use your resources around you is a strength.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Vorenus posted:

Has no one in the thread ever pulled a "Oh, pardon me, I seem to be in the wrong meeting. Apologies for the intrusion." and just walk out? I feel like that would be amusing.

I did tell someone once they weren’t in the meeting they thought they were in.

The agenda was poo poo I wanted them to stop doing.

They thought the agenda was poo poo they wanted me to know about their coworkers.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

My boss-boss has suddenly started saying she's going to "double-click" on things, meaning to look into them more closely. Wtf? Both very embarrassing and also weirdly 1990s

My boss^2 started to use the phrase triple-click at one point. I wonder who will realize that there are numbers larger than 3.

Edit: Reminds me of the sketch "24 is the Highest Number" but I can't find a youtube link.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 17, 2023

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

bee posted:

But I just can't seem to focus and get any kind of traction with working on this. When I open up the project delivery framework or templates it's like I'm getting writer's block and I just stare at it for a while before going off and finding some other busywork to do. It's like all the different pieces of it are overwhelming me or something. Occasionally ad-hoc tasks like organising events or doing intranet updates pop up as a part of my role and I'll jump on these and smash them out without issue. My manager is the opposite of a micromanager and he's spinning a lot of plates due to our resourcing sucking so I can't expect him to hand-hold me through this but honestly I don't think that'd be a good look for me if he did need to do that. As far as career progression is concerned, if I want to move up into a higher-paying role I would be expected to be able to manage this kind of work.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I recognise this is a weird problem to be having so I booked in a session with one of the leadership coaches through the agency's EAP, but it's not for another week :mad: so any insight or advice offered would be appreciated!

I have bad ADD and this happens to me decently often. I find what helps me a TON in a situation like this is drafting an email asking for help from a coworker or supervisor. In it, I would describe the situation and what I've tried so far - sometimes pulling on the threads of those previous attempts while explaining your position to a position of authority leads to the solution. If it doesn't, you're asking for help after demonstrating that you've put some serious thought into it.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

My boss-boss has suddenly started saying she's going to "double-click" on things, meaning to look into them more closely. Wtf? Both very embarrassing and also weirdly 1990s

I'll have to "right-click, save" that phrase for my next meeting.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Sometimes when I cant get started on something I just have ChatGPT draft whatever then I can edit that and it feels like I’m being productively lazy, the best kind of productive.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

teemolover42069 posted:

do you have adhd or have you ever been tested for it?

I was going to say, gosh this feels familiar.

I've found that sometimes the best thing to do is to just start copy/pasting stuff in from vaguely related documents, just to have things THERE, then once I have something to stare at I'll say to myself "no no no this is all wrong" and write the actual content.

ADHD is like having an employee who doesn't want to actually do work, and they're smart enough to figure out how to get out of any attempts you make to rope them into it through brute force or conventional means. They're also the owner's nephew, so you can't just fire them. I've found that typing a draft email, rubber ducking, and so forth actually starts to move things around, because then the ADHD employee acts like "ugh Christ FINE I'll do it just so I don't have this crap with my name on it, now let me drive" out of hubris.

Also helpful: medication!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Volmarias posted:

:words:

ADHD is like having an employee who doesn't want to actually do work, and they're smart enough to figure out how to get out of any attempts you make to rope them into it through brute force or conventional means. They're also the owner's nephew, so you can't just fire them. I've found that typing a draft email, rubber ducking, and so forth actually starts to move things around, because then the ADHD employee acts like "ugh Christ FINE I'll do it just so I don't have this crap with my name on it, now let me drive" out of hubris.

Also helpful: medication!

I mean, if y’all would just give me something to do that’s actually interesting then there’d be no problem!

Meds help a lot. Holy gently caress I hate writing random rear end performative docs.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bee posted:

Corporate goons, I have a problem. I'm employed by a government agency, I've been working in the HR department for about two years. The pay, culture, and perks are good and I'm not looking to leave. Up until recently the roles I worked in were very busy so I'm used to having a lot of stuff to get through and I was fine.

About 3 months ago, I moved from what was an operational role into a project-based role. It's hard to explain but I am sucking in this new role and I don't understand why. Previously, I knew the processes and applicable policies I needed to understand in order to do my roles, and I was able to prioritise my day and just work through whatever was on my plate. I got great feedback from my previous colleagues and managers. Now, I just don't feel the motivation or drive to focus and actually do the work assigned to me.

One of the projects I have is near completion but awaiting sign off from senior leadership so it's just kind of sitting there. I've taken it over from someone else who was promoted into another role, and is now on maternity leave, so I can't approach them for advice on what they were doing previously to drive the outcomes for this project. In the meantime I'm expected to report on the deliverables for this project but as senior leadership have been sitting on approving this project for months, nothing is really happening with it and there's not much to report on. So I have that sitting in the background.

The other project I have is new and involves creating a HR-related framework/corporate plan for a particular employee cohort and I'm expected to design, develop and implement it myself. Which technically, I should be able to do because I did a project planning and management unit while I was doing my postgrad studies (admittedly I did not enjoy studying this but it was a core subject for the degree I was doing), it involves an area of work I can personally relate to, and my organisation has templates galore for creation of business cases, project delivery frameworks and the like.

Beaten like Kirk Johnson's rectum, but I came here to post: "Have you tried inhuman amounts of Adderall? Worked for me! :v: "

I'm not a medical doctor though so maybe don't do that. Or do. I'm not your dad. Well, as far as I'm aware.

For actual content: you said you weren't sure what to do to drive outcomes. Is this something that will be delivered to users? If there is a userbase, and you can go talk to them, maybe go spitball with some of them about it and see what ideas they would try and implement if they were in charge of design. You don't have to do exactly what they suggest, but I'd be shocked if it didn't spark some sort of inspiration.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I don't know if it's a NZ thing or if it's just the cool new thing these days, but it gives me the irrits when people want to "speak to" a topic instead of speak about a topic. You speak to people, idiots!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Weatherman posted:

I don't know if it's a NZ thing or if it's just the cool new thing these days, but it gives me the irrits when people want to "speak to" a topic instead of speak about a topic. You speak to people, idiots!

Americans have been doing this for years, it barely moves the needle any more. Unlike "learnings" grrrrrr

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Also bee it sounds like you've moved from a job with lots of structure and external motivation, to one that's less structured. If you have executive function issues (and it sounds like you do) it can be very very hard to get started in situations like that.

It can be very helpful to write a very short to-do list first thing each day, comprising of the things you want/intend to get done. The new list each day is key, it reminds you of exactly the tasks and brings them into your working memory.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Welp, never been through an acquisition before but it’s official, we’re getting acquired. My job is probably safe but we’ll see how this goes

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

knox_harrington posted:

Also bee it sounds like you've moved from a job with lots of structure and external motivation, to one that's less structured. If you have executive function issues (and it sounds like you do) it can be very very hard to get started in situations like that.

It can be very helpful to write a very short to-do list first thing each day, comprising of the things you want/intend to get done. The new list each day is key, it reminds you of exactly the tasks and brings them into your working memory.

Note: this may or may not work. Lists usually do not help me.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Dammit. My company sent an announcement that out of corporate generosity business is planned to shut down early ahead of the Labor Day weekend - everyone can stop working at noon on Sept 1. The rub is, I had already requested a full vacation day for that day. Do I rescind my vacation request and resubmit for a half-day to save my precious vacation hours? Or does that make me look petty?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Dammit. My company sent an announcement that out of corporate generosity business is planned to shut down early ahead of the Labor Day weekend - everyone can stop working at noon on Sept 1. The rub is, I had already requested a full vacation day for that day. Do I rescind my vacation request and resubmit for a half-day to save my precious vacation hours? Or does that make me look petty?

I would and wouldn't even give it a second thought but my workplace, knock on wood, has always been respectful of our time off.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
^^ I would cancel the leave request and resubmit for the half day and not feel guilty about it in the slightest.

I've never thought about having ADHD because I've never had much trouble learning things and I'm not hyperactive but then I started reading up on the inattentive type. Hmm. It kinda checks out.

I'll speak to my doctor about it. But in the meantime I'll try all of the suggestions! I make lists outside of work to get poo poo done that wouldn't happen otherwise, so that might be a great place to start. Thanks for your replies :)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Not a Children posted:

I have bad ADD and this happens to me decently often. I find what helps me a TON in a situation like this is drafting an email asking for help from a coworker or supervisor. In it, I would describe the situation and what I've tried so far - sometimes pulling on the threads of those previous attempts while explaining your position to a position of authority leads to the solution. If it doesn't, you're asking for help after demonstrating that you've put some serious thought into it.
Drafting a detailed email or a long teams message to someone who could help me... helps me fix the problem without their help at least half the time, probably more. Crafting and structuring what I've done so far and what I think the issue is somehow helps my brain figure out what to do to fix the problem/get my rear end moving. Not directly related to what bee was asking about, but I felt worth adding to the discussion.

Volmarias posted:

I am in this picture description and do not like it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Drafting a detailed email or a long teams message to someone who could help me... helps me fix the problem without their help at least half the time, probably more. Crafting and structuring what I've done so far and what I think the issue is somehow helps my brain figure out what to do to fix the problem/get my rear end moving.

:same:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

bee posted:

What you're feeling is quite common. It seems that you're uncomfortable by the multiple issues going on, the uncertainty, and the fear you're underperforming, and it's easier for you to shut down rather than push through those thoughts. As other people have said, writing out your work steps and breaking them down into smaller manageable chunks can help. I'll often even go for a walk to think through broader issues, then go back to my desk and write it up in a quick outline. Once you start moving on this and it's less scary, things can fall back into place.

Regarding keeping things moving forward - this is standard project management type work and isn't for everybody. You need to thread the needle of staying on people's radar without getting too annoying - i.e. send an email every couple days asking "what's the status of ..." to anybody you're waiting for approvals from.

FAUXTON posted:

this VP double clicked on this and it's a perfect display of pure emotional intelligence

I'm going to work "pure emotional intelligence" into some backhanded compliments in the future.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Corporate Megathread: Just think of the synergies.

Weatherman posted:

It's a centuries-old way of saying you're speaking formally or accountably on something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jenkl posted:

I would and wouldn't even give it a second thought but my workplace, knock on wood, has always been respectful of our time off.

if one of my people did not do this and i found out i would be annoyed with them!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
My workplace used to let you schedule PTO an hour at a time, until people figured out that any PTO use counts as a day in the office. So to get around RTO requirements people would schedule one hour of PTO.

So now we're aren't allowed to schedule PTO for less than 4 hours at a time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tomfoolery posted:

I'm going to work "pure emotional intelligence" into some backhanded compliments in the future.

I haven't been in an office since before that phrase started showing up but I like to think that I'd make a habit of announcing it while flushing a poo poo

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

"Definitely not a layoff over the past few weeks as 10%+ of our people have left for one reason or another over the past month. Also, another 10%+ are leaving over the next few months."

Honestly, me getting fired after they hire the person above me and giving me severance is probably the ideal scenario vs. the company just folding, which it seems likely to do at this point.

Granted, best option is to find another job, but that's easier said than done in this market.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

knox_harrington posted:

I have serious executive function issues and lists are one of the few things that help me. I break tasks down to a super simple level and once I get a couple basic tasks checked, things start snowballing and I work down the list pretty quickly. I am terrible with getting things done ahead of schedule. It's like I need to be under a poo poo ton of pressure and a deadline to do my best work. I wish I wasn't like this and while the ADHD meds help with a lot of it, it doesn't seem to help with the executive function stuff too much. It's 1000 times worse if it's something I'm not interested in or something I just don't really want to do. If it's interesting like figuring out a solution to a problem, I'll tackle that all day. If it's something boring like generating a report, I'll wait till the very last minute.

Hotel Kpro posted:

Welp, never been through an acquisition before but it’s official, we’re getting acquired. My job is probably safe but we’ll see how this goes

Here is how it's gone through every acquisition I've been through (IT infrastructure worker). I've been acquired 3 times, and acquired other companies 3 times.

Announce date to closing date: Nothing much happens here. Depending on industry and rules there may be restrictions with interacting with the new company until the deal is complete. Projects and spending pretty much get put on hold. Keep the lights on and handle the day to day stuff. There will be an integration team at a few different levels and departments for things like email, stuff like that. Do not be surprised if there is little to no information given out to the employees during this time.

Closing date to 90 days post closing: This is going to be a lot of change, there are probably going to be a bunch of folks either laid off, or put on a transition plan. Middle management is usually the biggest target, followed by duplicate org functions like HR, and marketing. A lot of IT middle management in my experience was put on 6 to 9 month retention plans to transfer duties, knowledge, etc. One acquisition there was a 6 month retention bonus if they stuck through it. This may differ depending on how the new company wants to handle it. One acquisition we sorta spent a year just operating as we did before integration works started happening. Another wanted Day 1 everyone is NEW COMPANY and moved very quick to integrate everything.

90 days to 1 year: Lots of change happening. Teams restructured, org changes. Folks leaving, IT systems changing or consolidating (things like travel portals, expense, payroll, etc). Projects spun up to migrate/combine things. Leadership from both companies will have duked it out for power and things start to normalize. Longer term migration projects start getting planned and spun up.

Best advice I can give you

1) Go in with a positive attitude. Be a team player. Whoever bought your old company wrote a big rear end check to do so. They're the new bosses. Don't be one of those folks that sticks the old company ways and brings it up all the time "well we did it this way". Adapt to the new environment. It doesn't matter how good at your job you are, if your attitude sucks they will get rid of you. (Getting a severance package is a valid option sometimes).

2)Prepare yourself for the worse, but hope for the best. Download copies things like the severance package details, stock plan details you may be a part of, benefit information, life insurance, pretty much anything you might need to reference if you get RIF'd and lose access to the corporate network. Update your resume, make a bunch of LinkedIn connections with your co-workers, and familiarize yourself with any severance policy you may have. One acquisition I was looking at 34 weeks severance if I got laid off, so that took away almost all the stress of going through the acquisition. Worst case I got to keep my job. Best case they give me 34 weeks pay to go work somewhere else. From a personal standpoint you may want to prepare yourself financially to be out of work, maybe put off any large purchases or taking on any new debt.

3) Don't take anything personal. I've watched a lot of tenured folks just take things personally or fail to adapt to the new organization. It doesn't go well. None of this is personal.

Every acquisition ended up being a good thing for my career. I was able to move up and get exposed to larger companies, more complex IT systems, take on more responsibilities, and get promotions.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo maybe I have ADHD.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I love corporate QA, I ask a simple question get pointless non-answer.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I love corporate QA, I ask a simple question get pointless non-answer.

I never understood this, why wouldn't you just be honest with the people that you employ? I'm sure there's some corporate-logic reason but boy do these pointless townhalls make me mad

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deadite posted:

I never understood this, why wouldn't you just be honest with the people that you employ? I'm sure there's some corporate-logic reason but boy do these pointless townhalls make me mad

Our execs have taken to near-outright-lying (saying things so deceptive with the tiniest kernel of truth that any reasonable person would just say its a lie), which then typically falls on the front line managers who were not prepared for what was just said, know nothing about it, and have no way to speak about it when their entire team descends on them mere minutes after the meeting.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Motronic posted:

Our execs have taken to near-outright-lying (saying things so deceptive with the tiniest kernel of truth that any reasonable person would just say its a lie), which then typically falls on the front line managers who were not prepared for what was just said, know nothing about it, and have no way to speak about it when their entire team descends on them mere minutes after the meeting.

The key to victory is the element of surprise!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Depending on the meeting, our questions get prescreened. The division leaders are better about real time questions, but the c-suite likes those things ahead of time. My SVP is solid though, probably the best executive I've ever worked under. Tells it straight, follows up in a timely fashion.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Depending on the meeting, our questions get prescreened. The division leaders are better about real time questions, but the c-suite likes those things ahead of time. My SVP is solid though, probably the best executive I've ever worked under. Tells it straight, follows up in a timely fashion.

We use sli.do, so they don't get pre-screened at all. People put them in during the all hands meetings, everyone can vote on them.

If they don't like the ones at the top they either run long or go back to "the questions we didn't have time to answer last month". It's so transparent, I don't know how they keep a straight face doing it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It is the solemn duty of the burnouts and the old-timers to ask the questions everyone on one side wants to hear but nobody on the other side wants to answer.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Deadite posted:

The stupid part of this, I asked where would our next round of new hires would be working. Our labs are full at this campus and we cannot fit anymore. Instead got a baffling answer about optimizing seating in the cube farms.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Pfizer's execs used to lie out their asses to employees, and I never really understood it because it's not like they didn't tell newspapers/WARN filings/etc about layoffs and site closures. Everyone knew they were bullshitting the employees in the all-hands meetings while telling everyone else not working for them the actual truth, so we just ignored them and checked newspapers and shareholder meeting minutes.

I think the biggest individual lie I remember was an exec telling us (at the Groton site) that the Sandwich UK site was safe and no layoffs were planned, when UK labor law had required they already announce the closure and it was public knowledge to the Sandwich staff that it was near-100% layoffs.

Q: "What's the deal with closing the Sandwich UK site?"
A: "There are no plans to close the site and no layoffs are planned."
Q: "You've already told them they're laid off and put in the redundancy periods, and the local newspapers say you are closing the site, quoting you specifically at a town planning meeting. We know you're closing the site."
A: "You can't believe everything you read on the internet." [paraphrased]

It was a real trip, I tell ya.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Theory: It's not about pulling one over on the peons, preserving company morale, or lying to keep financial gain coming at all. It's what the executive brain believes about itself and the world that they filter through rose-colored glasses. Their reality is so buttoned up in neoliberalism that they literally cannot handle negative thoughts about themselves, their decisions, the state of the company or the economy etc.

I once had an exec pat himself on the back at a company event for getting through a tough year but not having to cut any salaries when I and 3 other people had been laid off 6 months prior, I just happened to be the one who came back. Everyone started looking at me and then back to him and having a sort of "uhhhh" moment before he corrected and went "oh right except for Car Hater, glad to have you back" but still didn't mention the other 3.

Brainworms. Intensely powerful brainworms.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

tumblr hype man posted:

Holy poo poo maybe I have ADHD.

Same

It works out because I have a job that's reactionary and most tasks take me 20 minutes or less. But there's a reason I never volunteer for bigger projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

. But there's a reason I never volunteer for bigger projects.

It's because I'm lazy and hate working