Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

credburn posted:

True Detective, Season 1. Apparently this kind of annoying quote, "time is a flat circle" isn't actually that old; it's based on old things but the quote is from True Detective. What annoys me is the term "flat circle." What the gently caress is a flat circle? A circle is already flat, so did he mean "a flat sphere," in which case he just means, a circle? Or was he saying that you flatten the circle down to the point where it just becomes a line, indistinguishable from another line? This quote loving sucks and people sometimes repeat it thinking they're being profound or whatever.

i know this is several pages ago but the irritation did not match my recollection so im rewatching

reggie ledeux, who is definitely on meth, is the first to mention the flat circle, carcosa, and many other things.

but the interestint thing, is that in in the very next episode, a now buzzed rust says:

quote:

You ever heard of something called the membrane theory, detectives? It's like in this universe, we process time linearly forward... but outside of our spacetime, from what would be a fourth-dimensional perspective, time wouldn't exist, and from that vantage, could we attain it, we'd see -- our spacetime would look flattened, like a single sculpture with matter in a superposition of every place it ever occupied, our sentience just cycling through our lives like carts on a track. See, everything outside our dimension... that's eternity, eternity looking down on us. Now, to us, it's a sphere, but to them... it's a circle.

now this quote doesnt actually contain the specific googleable phrase "flat circle", but i think he is talking about the same idea there.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 09:59 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Obviously Time is actually a Normal Map.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Admiralty Flag posted:

And who the hell decided that a Lee Majors vehicle was the perfect IP for a movie?

I've always thought that Six Million Dollar Man movie with a comedic approach would be funny. Where the main gag is that they ONLY spend 6 million dollars on him and all his bionics are outdated poo poo. They only do one eye and one arm to cut costs and his poo poo keeps malfunctioning, etc. Picturing them starting out doing only one leg before realizing that the dude can only run in circles.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I've always thought that Six Million Dollar Man movie with a comedic approach would be funny. Where the main gag is that they ONLY spend 6 million dollars on him and all his bionics are outdated poo poo. They only do one eye and one arm to cut costs and his poo poo keeps malfunctioning, etc. Picturing them starting out doing only one leg before realizing that the dude can only run in circles.

So inspector gadget

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BiggerBoat posted:

I think Family Guy (or one of that crowd) did this as a cutaway gag.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pilchenstein posted:

Yes, although it's not about cost inflation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpVbVz7s8SA

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I want someone to do bionics like Global Frequency did where it's just a techno horrorshow.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BiggerBoat posted:

The sketch show Goodness Gracious Me did this gag by making him the Six Million Rupee man, a rickshaw test pilot. At the time was about a hundred thousand pounds. His powers included being able to see things and carry small items of shopping.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I want someone to do bionics like Global Frequency did where it's just a techno horrorshow.

God I remembered the guy they're going in there to stop now you've posted this and yeah, horrorshow.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've always loved the line "and some drat fool let him look in a mirror"

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember this artist,he’s the one who did the Frank miller Robocop comic which was complete nonsensical gibberish right?

It was perfect art for a really disgusting grimy Detroit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

forgot to mention my actual irritating moment about true detective.

when marty is eating pasta, the foley is some kind of leek. its way too cruncy.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Are you sure he wasn't eating the complimentary fettuccine from Olive Garden?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I remember this artist,he’s the one who did the Frank miller Robocop comic which was complete nonsensical gibberish right?

It was perfect art for a really disgusting grimy Detroit.

That issue of Global Frequency was Glen Fabry on art, probably best known for the cover art on Preacher. I don't think he worked on any Robocop.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Marcade posted:

Are you sure he wasn't eating the complimentary fettuccine from Olive Garden?

idk it was something maggie warmed up after he got home from fuckin the underage t-mobile girl

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Fil5000 posted:

That issue of Global Frequency was Glen Fabry on art, probably best known for the cover art on Preacher. I don't think he worked on any Robocop.

No way,i only ever associate Glen fabry with covers.

Edit: This is the artwork i meant

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Mar 2, 2024

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Six million dollars, assuming current Medicare rates, would actually get you an incredibly nice suite of prosthetics if you want to talk about non-experimental parts available today. For example, a top-of-the-line microprocessor knee (IP68 rated even) reimburses about a hundred grand to the provider. A multiarticulated bionic hand with neuromuscular control isn't as much more than that. Even specialty experimental lab stuff (that they want you to know about :tinfoil:) is being done for way less than you might think.

I am sorry for ruining the fun.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Mar 2, 2024

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

God I remembered the guy they're going in there to stop now you've posted this and yeah, horrorshow.

Amazing design. Dude looked like what you'd get if you peeled all the armor off a guyver you got from wish.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

A white man from Liverpool whose grandfather was a Nazi war criminal even.

Unrelated to the conversation but was checking out his bio and love this line and whoever felt the need to make sure we know about Graham Linehan's bigotry.

quote:

...and a sister named Helen, who became a writer; Helen married Irish comedy writer Graham Linehan in 2004 after Serafinowicz introduced them,[5] and divorced him in 2020 after he became an anti-transgender activist.[6]

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Fil5000 posted:

That issue of Global Frequency was Glen Fabry on art, probably best known for the art on Slaine.

Excuse me. The man can draw a truly horrific warp spasm.

Also, thinking about biotechnical horror makes me miss John Hicklenton.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Amazing design. Dude looked like what you'd get if you peeled all the armor off a guyver you got from wish.

But more importantly, was exactly what would happen if you let the military industrial complex build a cyborg. Dude's a loving mess and he may have cost millions of dollars but you know most of that money went to shareholders and other projects because he absolutely looks like he was build with cheap poo poo they had lying around.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Meanwhile, Batman grabs the barrel of a rifle and bends it at a right angle while the guy holding it continues not being superhuman.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Grendels Dad posted:

Meanwhile, Batman grabs the barrel of a rifle and bends it at a right angle while the guy holding it continues not being superhuman.

Bat bending technology TM

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tunicate posted:

So inspector gadget

Pilchenstein posted:

Never saw either of these. I remember when, for a while, studios were doing 70's shows as feature comedies (Bewitched, Starsky and Hutch) and thought Six Million Dollar Man could be funny. Get the 21 Jump Street team to write it.

Zero_Grade posted:

Six million dollars, assuming current Medicare rates, would actually get you an incredibly nice suite of prosthetics if you want to talk about non-experimental parts available today. For example, a top-of-the-line microprocessor knee (IP68 rated even) reimburses about a hundred grand to the provider. A multiarticulated bionic hand with neuromuscular control isn't as much more than that. Even specialty experimental lab stuff (that they want you to know about :tinfoil:) is being done for way less than you might think.

I am sorry for ruining the fun.

I didn't think it through that far, just framing it with realization that most pro athletes make more than that in a year and picturing a trailer where some dude comes in proudly bragging saying "we have...SIX MILLION DOLLARS to rebuild him" and then, after a pause, everyone else is like..."That's it???"

I dunno. Maybe it's a bad pitch/been done already.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Mar 2, 2024

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It's the Dr Evil bit with a slightly different paint job.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Venture Bros had the joke where the Six Million Dollar Man is expected to pay it all back, on a government salary.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Bat bending technology TM

No that's what Bane uses.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just want somebody to do global frequency as a single season Prestige TV show, but only if they do it well.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The pilot they did was great, but I doubt we'll ever see anything else sadly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Michelle Forbes as Miranda was some outstanding casting.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's a Global Frequency pilot episode out there somewhere!?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Biplane posted:

Yup, John Rogers was the show runner for it, it adapts the first issue. It got leaked while the network (I think the CW) was considering it and (according to Ellis at the time) any chance of it getting commissioned was ruined by a) the leak and b) comic fans being annoying dicks about it to network execs. And then Rogers came up with Leverage and had a relative hit show occupying his time anyway.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShP8FbVW_k

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Wow! Thanks, definitely watching it tonight.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBBaEijZwnY

Speaking of leaked tv pilots, I recently found out that the Zero Effect pilot with Alan Cumming as Daryl Zero has also leaked on Youtube. Alan Cumming isn't quite Bill Pullman, but I would still have watched every episode, and dime store Ben Stiller is perfectly cast.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Poor Things: They board a ship in Lisbon which is explicitly en route to Athens. Along the way they stop in Alexandria, Egypt, after which they are told that they are getting kicked off the ship at the next port, which is…Marseille? The movie takes a lot of liberties with science (obviously) and is takes place in an intentionally anachronistic late 19th century, but I don’t think it’s supposed to take place in a world where France is in between Egypt and Greece.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

but I don’t think it’s supposed to take place in a world where France is in between Egypt and Greece.

Probably would of helped them quite a bit in World War one and two.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
This came up on my YouTube feed and watched it while enjoying my morning coffee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK7zy82LtYU
Imagine you're a tourist going on a Carnival Cruise where you're attacked by pirates, then next thing you know you're in a massive naval battle because your captain thought it would be fun.,

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Android Apocalypse posted:

This came up on my YouTube feed and watched it while enjoying my morning coffee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK7zy82LtYU
Imagine you're a tourist going on a Carnival Cruise where you're attacked by pirates, then next thing you know you're in a massive naval battle because your captain thought it would be fun.,

In this situation, the cruise ship has laser cannons

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBBaEijZwnY

Speaking of leaked tv pilots, I recently found out that the Zero Effect pilot with Alan Cumming as Daryl Zero has also leaked on Youtube. Alan Cumming isn't quite Bill Pullman, but I would still have watched every episode, and dime store Ben Stiller is perfectly cast.

God, I love that movie. I'm not sure if I want to check out the pilot, for some reason. I think that nothing could land the wonderful tone that the movie manages to nail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Watching Law and Order, doesn't even matter which one or which episode because this happens way too often:

Initial suspect has a lot of evidence against them but obviously not all is what it seems. Detectives interview a group of people connected to the suspect in a quick succession of scenes. They often cut them in a way where all the fragments of interviews put together show a complete interview, you know?

None of these people get screen time after their respective short interview scenes, and yet, you already know who the real bad guy is going to be.

Why? Because they're the sole recognizable face while all the others are unknown actors.

Kinda spoils the story when it's supposed to be a mystery but they use a well known guest star in this way.

On the flipside it's cool to see actors that were unknown at the time (usually kids or teens) who had thriving careers afterwards and are super famous now.