Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
It's weird that Germany doesn't have a problem with massive strip mining of lovely brown coal, but fracking is extremely verboten. i mean, I know which kind of site I'd rather live next to.

Jumping back to Japan's F-35B order, what kind of load could it carry when taking off from the deck of the Izumo? Wiki lists her length as 248m/814ft, but I'm assuming that's not all usable as a runway, or is it?

Can they just bolt a ramp to the deck if they want to later, or is there more work involved in turning a flat deck into a skijump deck?

edit: for that matter, why didn't the Wasp LHDs have a ski jump for the Harriers?

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mazz posted:

I have routinely had people surprised that nuclear plants can not explode like a nuclear bomb.

Well doesn't help that the Russian procreated this myth by causing one of the largest radioactive steam explosions in human history, not once, but twice due to shear stupidity.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neophyte posted:

for that matter, why didn't the Wasp LHDs have a ski jump for the Harriers?
Ski jumps take up valuable deck space you could be using for the helicopters that are the main reason an LHD exists.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Neophyte posted:

It's weird that Germany doesn't have a problem with massive strip mining of lovely brown coal, but fracking is extremely verboten. i mean, I know which kind of site I'd rather live next to.

Jumping back to Japan's F-35B order, what kind of load could it carry when taking off from the deck of the Izumo? Wiki lists her length as 248m/814ft, but I'm assuming that's not all usable as a runway, or is it?

Can they just bolt a ramp to the deck if they want to later, or is there more work involved in turning a flat deck into a skijump deck?

edit: for that matter, why didn't the Wasp LHDs have a ski jump for the Harriers?

There’s a good amount of internal structure involved in a real ski jump, the front of the boat pretty much has to be built around it IIRC. The LHAs and LHDs Primary mission set is to put a bunch of Marines somewhere, so eating into that capability for slightly better STOVL performance of the ~10 airworthy fixed wing onboard doesn’t really make a ton of sense in the long run.

This is opposed to something like the QE or Kutzetsov, which are full on carriers that avoided the difficulty of catapults (and all the benefits).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 27, 2018

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Ski jumps take up valuable deck space you could be using for the helicopters that are the main reason an LHD exists.

That main reason looks like it’s changing though. Unless we are to believe that these F-35Bs really are for isolated island bases. Merely putting the F-35’s on-board will disrupt the helicopter air wing and reduce it. At that point, yeah, do ground tests with a ramp and a runway similar to what they will be able to use.

Then bolt one on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Blistex posted:

Didn't Merkel pretty much kill their entire nuclear industry after the Fukushima disaster because people were protesting? She said something like "every plant will be shut down by 2020" or something like that. Last I looked, ~1/2 of their power is imported from other countries, but the remainder is divided like so.

Pretty much. I was in Berlin when that went down and it was soooooooo dumb. Just this huge knee jerk about atoms. Those smiling sun “Atom Bombe? Nein danke!” stickers everywhere. It wasn’t even worth discussing because if the person identified as anything other than an arch conservative (rare among grad student aged Berliners) being anti-atomic power was just an article of faith.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty much. I was in Berlin when that went down and it was soooooooo dumb. Just this huge knee jerk about atoms. Those smiling sun “Atom Bombe? Nein danke!” stickers everywhere. It wasn’t even worth discussing because if the person identified as anything other than an arch conservative (rare among grad student aged Berliners) being anti-atomic power was just an article of faith.

Besides, don't they import a lot of electricity from nuke-loving France?

Mazz posted:

There's a good amount of internal structure involved in a real ski jump, the front of the boat pretty much has to be built around it IIRC. The LHAs and LHDs Primary mission set is to put a bunch of Marines somewhere, so eating into that capability for slightly better STOVL performance of the ~10 airworthy fixed wing onboard doesn't really make a ton of sense in the long run.

This is opposed to something like the QE or Kutzetsov, which are full on carriers that avoided the difficulty of catapults (and all the benefits).

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That makes sense, although you'd think with the Americas you could have both had a larger ship and a ski jump designed in. I guess it depends on how much a ramp helps STOVL performance?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Is there a country currently making a real investment in developing or deploying modern nuclear power generation? I believe the US was building a plant in the Carolinas until recently, they were going to call off construction due to cost overruns and a massive miss on the timetable. There was also talk for a long time about mini and micro nuclear generators that would be basically self contained - install (or even bury) them to power 5k/25k homes or whatever, refuel in 5 years, replace. It never really got off the ground IIRC though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Neophyte posted:

That makes sense, although you'd think with the Americas you could have both had a larger ship and a ski jump designed in. I guess it depends on how much a ramp helps STOVL performance?

The Americas aren’t really supposed to be so air heavy, the first 2 skipped the well deck. Again, you lose a good portion of the front space for things like V-22s or MH-53s, so the trade off is a bit unnecessary, especially since we have 10 100,000 ton regular carriers around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Neophyte posted:

“That is icky so we won’t do it here but are totally happy to import it or outsource it” is basically Germany.txt.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Neophyte posted:

Tell you what: if the Marines had their own boats, they'd put ski jumps on them. But they're riding on Navy boats, and the Navy doesn't have jump jets.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is there a country currently making a real investment in developing or deploying modern nuclear power generation? I believe the US was building a plant in the Carolinas until recently, they were going to call off construction due to cost overruns and a massive miss on the timetable. There was also talk for a long time about mini and micro nuclear generators that would be basically self contained - install (or even bury) them to power 5k/25k homes or whatever, refuel in 5 years, replace. It never really got off the ground IIRC though.

Yeah. Largely in Asia and Russia.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/current-and-future-generation/plans-for-new-reactors-worldwide.aspx

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is there a country currently making a real investment in developing or deploying modern nuclear power generation?

China, also Russia.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Back Hack posted:

Well doesn't help that the Russian procreated this myth by causing one of the largest radioactive steam explosions in human history, not once, but twice due to shear stupidity.

Chernobyl did have some nuclear yield, it wasn't all steam. Once all the coolant flashed to steam there was a shitload of prompt fission and about 300 tons-TNT equivalent yield.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

For Crimea's population being over 90% Russian, Vlad can thank the USSR and its policy of deporting non-Russian ethnic groups (such as the Tatars in this case) to some other backwater place so as to put Russians instead. That's also why there are large "non-citizen" populations in the Baltic states.

Sure, absolutely, and that's lovely. It's also the situation on the ground in the 21st century, though. That doesn't make what Russia did right, I'm not a Putin fan or anything, but I also don't think the majority of Crimea's population are yearning for liberation from a foreign invader's yoke either, is all I'm saying.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

Sure, absolutely, and that's lovely. It's also the situation on the ground in the 21st century, though. That doesn't make what Russia did right, I'm not a Putin fan or anything, but I also don't think the majority of Crimea's population are yearning for liberation from a foreign invader's yoke either, is all I'm saying.

Especially not now that a lot of them who wanted liberation simply left and moved to Ukraine or elsewhere rather than live under Russian rule.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is there a country currently making a real investment in developing or deploying modern nuclear power generation? I believe the US was building a plant in the Carolinas until recently, they were going to call off construction due to cost overruns and a massive miss on the timetable.

It's still going on - it's in Georgia near the South Carolina Border. The cost overruns are pretty insane (have basically doubled the costs to around $28 billion including financing costs).

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/vogtle-nuclear-plant-owners-agree-to-continue-construction/533318/

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/More-milestones-for-Vogtle-project

In a sane world it would have been canceled long ago and all it's doing is loving over the Georgia Power customers, in an ironic reversal of "too cheap to meter."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Russians just set their new icebreaker on fire.
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/25156/russian-icebreaker-under-construction-bursts-into-flames-injuring-at-least-two

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Tell you what: if the Marines had their own boats, they'd put ski jumps on them. But they're riding on Navy boats, and the Navy doesn't have jump jets.

They've compromised by agreeing to fly off the QE2 and Prince of Wales for the foreseeable future.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ulmont posted:

It's still going on - it's in Georgia near the South Carolina Border. The cost overruns are pretty insane (have basically doubled the costs to around $28 billion including financing costs).

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/vogtle-nuclear-plant-owners-agree-to-continue-construction/533318/

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/More-milestones-for-Vogtle-project

In a sane world it would have been canceled long ago and all it's doing is loving over the Georgia Power customers, in an ironic reversal of "too cheap to meter."

There are a few other operators that have applied for new construction permits and are watching this project as a test case as well. Florida Power and Light has been eyeing installing new nuclear capacity at Turkey Point for decades, but is rightly afraid of the bureaucratic morass the county and state could put in front of them if they have a mind to.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

At least they're able to supplement their own naval forces with Ukraine's.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Huh, 3 decks and over 3K square feet on fire. I guess if they are lucky and its not deep in the hull, they may be able to salvage just the hull? If they are very lucky...

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Looking at the failed SC nuclear project that ended up costing Santee Cooper $4.5 billion (they're a half-owner, the entire project wasted $9b) and their customers ~$6000 each spread over the next four decades, one would think that enthusiasm for new nuclear power plants would be pretty low. At this point, continuing the US projects may be more "it will cost us less to finish than quit" vs "we'll make money"

Everybody knows ice-types are weak to fire. smdh

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
There's still slow progress being made on those small nuclear reactors. Apparently nuscale has theirs going through the NRC review process: https://newsroom.nuscalepower.com/press-release/company/nuscale-powers-small-modular-nuclear-reactor-becomes-first-ever-complete-nucle

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Especially not now that a lot of them who wanted liberation simply left and moved to Ukraine or elsewhere rather than live under Russian rule.

Well, a bunch of murders, disappearances, and harassment targeting any vocal opposition or undesirable group will do that.

*Murders ethnic minority leaders and critics, sends thugs and secret police to attack any perceived political opposition*
*Renovates ancient mosque by gutting it, bans native Tatar religious writings, appropriates Tatar properties*
*Watches the undesirables flee to Ukraine*
*Prints the 100000th article about Ukrainians being Nazis on the same page as a screed about RUSSIAN WORLD unironically*

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 28, 2018

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker

large hands posted:

They've compromised by agreeing to fly off the QE2 and Prince of Wales for the foreseeable future.

I read this wrong and saw "They've compromised by agreeing to fly the QE2 off the Prince of Wales for the foreseeable future."

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
India and the Netherlands were investing heavily in thorium salt nuclear reactors, not sure how much progress either has made. It's a cool potential avenue for a clean energy source that doesn't have the stigma of NEVER DECAYING NUCLEAR WASTE regular nuclear power has, and there were some promising experiments in that type of reactor at Oak Ridge back in the 70s before we decided not to go that route.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Crosspost from the AvGeek thread:

Okay, this is both a bump and an update for that Nellis AFB Tour idea I posted about a few weeks back: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=1447&perpage=40#post489634209

For those who aren't interested in this at all, sorry you have to ignore or potentially read a post that doesn't interest or apply to you - you'll never get these 15 seconds of your life back. They're mine now. Also, in his infinite wisdom, Lowtax didn't allow for multiple recipient capability on PMs, and only Platystemon gave me an email address.

As of right now I still only have 10 people (including someone's potential +1 and myself), which isn't enough for me to call Nellis. Ten is small enough for a tour as per their sheet, but plans, lives, and circumstances change between now and September-November of next year, so I'm not comfortable in calling Nellis' PAO until we have at least fifteen (preferably twenty). These tours are also not offered from June 1st to August 31st because "desert" and "summer."

Unfortunately, Nellis does not offer on-base transportation (despite having a motor pool with perfectly good busses visible on Google Maps' satellite view) for tours. I've already contacted and gotten one quote from one bus service who offers those "Airport Shuttle" style motorcoaches, and for eight hours of use (for transportation both to, around, and from the base back to a central spot inside Vegas hopefully convenient to all), it comes to ~$660. This is another reason I really want to get up to ~15-20 people before calling. The coach *holds* 27 people, and since this is *my* stupid idea, I'd be fine paying $150 for my seat on the bus, which would make the cost per person for 14 other goons ~$37/person. This might make some of you balk, but seeing as we *need* to have our own conveyance to get around the base in a group, there's no getting around it.

Obviously, I'm going to shop around - there's got to be a better price out there - I'd like to get that per-person cost down lower to $27-30/person. Obviously, if you had registered interest for this and still find this unpalatable, let me know in PMs.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 28, 2018

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shooting Blanks posted:

Not really in democratic nations that are not France and Sweden.

Signing off on a nuke plant is political suicide because "Atoms" and since so much of the R&D and knowledge base has been neglected the costs have increased dramatically. The US no longer has the capabilities to make certain components for nuke plants, and since there have been so few made since the 1970's (especially in North America) every plant that is planned has an astronomical cost associated with building it because they are essentially "one offs".

It's sort of like restarting the production of the F-22, if all of the tooling was destroyed, everyone who worked on the original moved on or died, and you were only planning on making 3 of them (making the per-unit costs prohibitive). That's sort of what the Nuke industry is facing right now. Also, because of Carter or Reagan era treaties, certain reactors are outright outlawed because they could be used to create weapons, but they are also the kind of reactors that can reprocess waste and burn it up.

People who are against nuclear power (from purely an economical point of view) are right that it's prohibitive, because it's almost like starting from scratch, getting a massive industry to re-awaken, only to do a one-off then die again.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
My favorite time at Nellis was the traffic callout the tower gave to some confused Air Force planes while we were in the landing pattern - "you're following a Navy E-2... no, that's E-2... it's the little AWACS with propellers."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My favorite time at Nellis was the traffic callout the tower gave to some confused Air Force planes while we were in the landing pattern - "you're following a Navy E-2... no, that's E-2... it's the little AWACS with propellers."

Are they kennel training those F-22s?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Wasn't Finland having a Russian company build them a new nuclear plant?

fake edit: Rosatom is building a new plant in Pyhäjoki. There's been a bunch of protests and from what I understand the actual building hasn't really started, but the plans are still on.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

"This isn't a nuclear plant. This is a new, highly advanced, protonic fission plant. Very disruptive, you'll love it"

Don't negotiate, obfuscate.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Blistex posted:

Not really in democratic nations that are not France and Sweden.

I think you meant Finland. Sweden has no new nuclear plants under construction or planned for construction, and has dismantled a few older reactors already. Finland on the other hand is building a new reactor design at Olkiluoto. Nine years behind schedule and well over twice the original budget. It should be done "soon" though. There's also the new Russian one already mentioned.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TheFluff posted:

I think you meant Finland. Sweden has no new nuclear plants under construction or planned for construction, and has dismantled a few older reactors already. Finland on the other hand is building a new reactor design at Olkiluoto. Nine years behind schedule and well over twice the original budget. It should be done "soon" though. There's also the new Russian one already mentioned.

No, I meant Sweden. . . I was just wrong. :v: (thought they were building new plants, not Finland)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mazz posted:

If there’s one thing that bothers me about modern energy is the stigma against nuclear because most of the general public doesn’t understand even basic concepts related to it.

I have routinely had people surprised that nuclear plants can not explode like a nuclear bomb.

It's very, very sad.

And with Japan considering burning poo poo again for electricity because of fukishima :bang:

OK, remember when Canada picked its new surface combatant design

Now the Canadian International Trade Tribunal has ordered the whole thing halted until they have time to investigate Alion's complaint that the Type 26 frigate should be ineligable

Alion does have a point. When the process started, one basic requirement was that only in-production, proven designs be considered.

quote:

t also noted in that challenge that the requirements and other parameters of the surface combatant project were altered 88 times during the process in a way that diluted the requirements for the warship, allowing the government and Irving to pick what it calls “an unproven design platform.”

Always a good sign:

quote:

Several European shipbuilders decided against submitting bids for the $60-billion project because of concerns about the fairness of the process.

Prime contractors for the Type 26 are lockmart and BAE. Apparently BAE has been BFFs with Irving the past few years. The Canadian Fed and Irving hoped to have the actual contract negotiations locked up by early next year - though the Fed made noises about having no problem going on to the next contractor (each bid has a place in which they came; if the LockMart/BAE group proved intractable, they'd move on to the Spanish or Alion design. This is believed to be about IP. Big surprise, LockMart wants to lock Canada in to only being able to get poo poo serviced with them, and the Fed (sensibly) thinks that a dumb stipulation, especially as the RN and Australia are building Type 26s.)

Since we're on this subject, the Senate committee on defense wrote the commons on the subject and had 27 recommendations. One of these is that Canada's Victoria class subs be replaced with newer subs, that have 'under-ice' capability. This is the only suggestion the Liberals rejected outright. The reason was not entirely unreasonable: "that Canada is basically replacing its naval vessels at a rate not seen since the Second World War, can we maybe stick a pin in this one"

But the answer is "no, you can't" and not just because subs are too tough to poke a pin through

Defense Watch filed an access to information request, and the RCN says the subs can last until the mid 2020s. The Defense Minister says a plan to extend the life of the Victoria class is being worked on - but this plan is in the early stages - which presumably means the analysis could come back and say "deep six this idea, it's dumb and super expensive". As the people who already spent $8 billion* on life extension for our four subs instead of buying an entirely new, modern fleet from Germany, Sweden, or Japan, you see where this is going.

*actually, I remember Harper agreeing to this; did it actually happen?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man that is a fuckload of money and a fuckload of boats

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Mazz posted:

There’s a good amount of internal structure involved in a real ski jump, the front of the boat pretty much has to be built around it IIRC.

The ski ramps were added well after the fact on HMS Hermes and the Invincible class ships afaik.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Syncopated posted:

Wasn't Finland having a Russian company build them a new nuclear plant?

fake edit: Rosatom is building a new plant in Pyhäjoki. There's been a bunch of protests and from what I understand the actual building hasn't really started, but the plans are still on.

I would be very suspicious of having the Russians build a big-ticket part of my country's power infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mazz posted:

There’s a good amount of internal structure involved in a real ski jump, the front of the boat pretty much has to be built around it IIRC.
It's adding the cats that's the hard part, not adding/removing the ramps.