Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Anybody get any fancy Apple hardware for Christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Corb3t posted:

I got some AirPods Pro 2, but I got them early on Black Friday so I could use them on a flight in mid-December. A++, would recommend

It’s not Apple hardware, but I got my dad a Triathlon M720 mouse to use with his new Midnight M2 MacBook Air and his old iPad Pro.

He has a Samsung M8 4K Airplay/dock display to go with them, and it’s a :discourse: desktop setup for way less money than going full-Apple.

The resolution could be better at 32” (or the screen could be much smaller), but it’s perfect for two older people doing mostly browser poo poo and content consumption. At $500 instead of $5000 I can’t complain it’s not the Pro XDR. For its intended market (dorm/apartment/bedroom/kitchen users who need an attractive small 4K TV that pulls double duty as a computer monitor with power delivery and webcam features) it’s pretty perfect. The magnetic webcam adds a nice touch of polish.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 25, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Yeah the watch ultra which is really really nice.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

Don't really need new AAA games when I got console emulators and Sheepshaver and a ton of games on abandonware sites I never got to play when new..

Great fun just to sit in the A-10 and equip a nuke, then drop it in the hangar just to see how far my canopy flies after the explosion

Someone else mentioned Falcon 4, seems to run real good in Crossover on my ancient 2014 rMBP (the original not the BMS)

Bridge Commander will be next for the Star Trek nerd in me

That was me. On the one hand Falcon BMS is the most ridiculous overdone grognard sim project ever. On the other it’s a extensive simulation of a large scale theatre conflict AND probably the best F16 simulator ever made, and it’s free. It’s such a weird anachronism in todays market but it’s really scratching a ‘oh you think you know something about video games? Here, try to turn the engine on.’ Itch I didn’t even know I had.

If punching yourself in the genitals with 100 page manuals and keybind files that make xml look pretty sounds fun try it out - based on the performance I’m getting I imagine you’d be fine and if you’ve got Falcon 4 it’s free. It flies fantastically and tonight I actually shot down some training targets.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SourKraut posted:

I'm trying to survive Christmas with 5- and 2-year olds plus a 4 week old. Fun times!

Sounds like it might be time to send the older kids to play Reader Rabbit and KidPix.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Sounds like it might be time to send the older kids to play Reader Rabbit and KidPix.

gently caress yeah

and MathBlaster and TreasureCove and see if you can dig up a copy of Mercer Mayer’s Little Monster or Richard Scarry’s Busytown for the toddler

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Have em print up signs and New Years / late Christmas cards with the Print Shop

Don't forget Stickybear Bop and Old Ironsides for some arcade fun

Or maybe Swashbuckler if you like hearing quacks generated by a 1 MHz CPU

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 26, 2022

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I need to get an eMac. I always liked the design more than the iMac G3.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, and there was this old movie creation simulation game we would play on some old PowerMac 9600s in my high school journalism class, where you input the various simple parameters and then would see how successful the movie would be box-office wise. Wish I could remember what it was called...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I got an eMac from Fry's in, like, 2001. Replaced the tricked-out Rev A iMac I had, which was fitted with a Voodoo 2 card. The eMac was good to me as a 'work' computer, especially as I had a PC at the time to handle gaming duty so I didn't have to ask particularly much of it. Good times.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, and there was this old movie creation simulation game we would play on some old PowerMac 9600s in my high school journalism class, where you input the various simple parameters and then would see how successful the movie would be box-office wise. Wish I could remember what it was called...

https://www.filmsfatale.com/blog/2020/2/22/growing-up-a-cinephile-write-camera-action maybe?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Meanwhile, in modern news:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/12/26/3nm-chips-mass-production/

TSMC claims their 3 nm plant will be up and running at full steam just three days from now, hopefully to give us M2 Pros at some point in the future

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I got an eMac from Fry's in, like, 2001. Replaced the tricked-out Rev A iMac I had, which was fitted with a Voodoo 2 card. The eMac was good to me as a 'work' computer, especially as I had a PC at the time to handle gaming duty so I didn't have to ask particularly much of it. Good times.

jelly

what color was your iMac?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Binary Badger posted:

Meanwhile, in modern news:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/12/26/3nm-chips-mass-production/

TSMC claims their 3 nm plant will be up and running at full steam just three days from now, hopefully to give us M2 Pros at some point in the future

drat

What'll they do when they eventually run out of nm??

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

drat

Start stacking them

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I remember being an IT bod at a school with classrooms full of eMacs. They used to develop an issue where the CD drives would eject and refuse to stay closed. This was fun for two reasons:

1) Before AppleCare would accept the machines for repair, they had to go through a diagnostic procedure over the phone that involved booting from the installation CD. This meant carefully and slowly explaining to the technician that we couldn’t boot from the CD drive because the CD drive wouldn’t close.

2) There was no way to submit multiple machines for repair in one go. Somebody had to sit in a room full of defective eMacs and spend a day or more on the phone to AppleCare repeating the same “diagnostic” procedure and subsequent repair authorisation over and over (although at least after the first machine the person on the other end got the hang of skipping past the ‘boot from CD’ part)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It was also fun because it involved connecting OS X Panther to Active Directory, which if you’ve never tried it is extremely super fun!!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
OSX wasn’t a fully baked operating system until Tiger

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

OSX wasn’t a fully baked operating system until TigerLeopard

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Snow Leopard was peak macOS.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Last Chance posted:

Start stacking them

So, after it stops going down, it will... go back up?

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

TheMadMilkman posted:

I need to get an eMac. I always liked the design more than the iMac G3.

The eMac is super nice, but it's such a pain to move around. No handle, extremely heavy and unbalanced load that's almost entirely slippery polycarbonate. Nightmare. I put mine upstairs in my last house and regretted it intensely. Same floor as the door is the rule for those things.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

jelly

what color was your iMac?

The Rev A only came in Bondi Blue.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mister Facetious posted:

So, after it stops going down, it will... go back up?

Like phone size

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

American McGay posted:

I miss this release

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Data Graham posted:

drat

I’ve heard people in tech media talk before about how they’re already researching picometer chips.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

drat

Intel, at least, will measure in Ångström.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.engadget.com/apple-a16-chip-ray-tracing-mistakes-180839937.html

Related, but troubling if true.

Makes me wonder if Apple plans on offering that high power GPU on desktops, of course its no good for a mobile device but put it in a cooled chassis where nobody cares about battery drain.. and Apple tends not to let development efforts go to waste..

Brain drain may not bode well for future chip iterations.. yeah yeah supposedly Apple planned out the roadmap for AS chips years ago but if you dont have the staff that can help reach the goalposts in a timely manner, well..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.engadget.com/apple-a16-chip-ray-tracing-mistakes-180839937.html

Related, but troubling if true.

Makes me wonder if Apple plans on offering that high power GPU on desktops, of course its no good for a mobile device but put it in a cooled chassis where nobody cares about battery drain.. and Apple tends not to let development efforts go to waste..

Brain drain may not bode well for future chip iterations.. yeah yeah supposedly Apple planned out the roadmap for AS chips years ago but if you dont have the staff that can help reach the goalposts in a timely manner, well..

https://youtu.be/dA3fR1YjekE

https://youtu.be/oZyLZl9M7gM

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there any workaround to get my printer working with my m2 air? I looked around and couldn't find any current drivers. the older ones won't install.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/samsung-ml-1630-laser-printer-series/17156950

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

is there any workaround to get my printer working with my m2 air? I looked around and couldn't find any current drivers. the older ones won't install.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/samsung-ml-1630-laser-printer-series/17156950

Did you migrate from an old Mac?

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

actionjackson posted:

If you have another machine knocking about that it does work on, you can usually share the printer over the network. I usually use this to go the other way (i.e. to let my PPC macs print to a printer they have no driver support for) but I can't imagine it wouldn't work for your use case as well. Also worth checking gutenprint to see if it supports your printer.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Did you migrate from an old Mac?

yes a 2017 MBA which I have now sold

it's not even in gutenprint :wtc:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252188318

"The ML-1630 appears to use a special Samsung printer language. This makes it difficult to find/use alternative drivers."

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.
I'm ~4 months now into a full Mac setup, departing from windows and a "custom" pc.

Things that are nice.. 5k studio display is nice. I previously had four 24" 1080p monitors and between being adhd and lazy I would find myself on other monitors doing gently caress-all while the main work was needing attending to. (work from home/office/personal setup).
Being back on one monitor and the open laptop display keeps me either completely focused on work, or completely focused on being lazy. More of a light switch in my brain to flip it back and forth.

Also nice - the M2 and 24 gigs of ram in the Air handles everything I throw at it.. I've got Mail, Messages, ~10 browser tabs in Safari, Brave, FF each, a VM or two running, and half a dozen RDP/VNC/SSH connections open.

Its light.. It's super portable and the battery life is a solid 10 hours for me. For comparison my XPS doing similar workload-on-the-go was about 6 hours.

The integrations with my iPhone, iPad, and all the other apple devices really keep me here. I could say for the sake of work specifically I could go back to my pc and an XPS to get around some minor issues like certain powershell modules not compatible with Windows ARM, etc. But for the sake of the apple ecosystem and its cohesion I'll just keep an x86 windows VM hosted somewhere.

Things that suck? Haven't learned all the keyboard shortcuts to mastery yet. The apple keyboard is too flat. I need something propped up a little. I did 4 months with the Magic Mouse, got used to it. Now I'm using the external touchpad and haven't missed a mouse. I might try the Logitech mechanical keyboard and their Mac specific mouse at some point but that's $250....

Hope this helps someone on the fence.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

are you using a separate apple keyboard or the one on the m2 air. i've been fine using the latter.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
What do you people use all these monitors for? Genuinely curious.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Brian Worms posted:

Anime

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Brian Worms posted:

Email, chat, documentation, references, debug windows, video/music players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

evelyn87 posted:

Things that suck? Haven't learned all the keyboard shortcuts to mastery yet. The apple keyboard is too flat. I need something propped up a little. I did 4 months with the Magic Mouse, got used to it. Now I'm using the external touchpad and haven't missed a mouse. I might try the Logitech mechanical keyboard and their Mac specific mouse at some point but that's $250....

Hope this helps someone on the fence.

You don’t *need Mac-specific, any Logi stuff will work fine and is usually like $20 cheaper if you don’t go Mac-specific. The worst you have to put up with is keys that feature both Win and MacOS symbols.

Also considering an MX Mechanical (either the blue or brown switches) for my MBP+PC setup