Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I was shocked at how racist Canadians are against natives when I came up against it first hand. these are some of the most liberal people I know but get them started on native people and holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

I was shocked at how racist Canadians are against natives when I came up against it first hand. these are some of the most liberal people I know but get them started on native people and holy poo poo
see also: oh-so-lefty british people when the subject of gypsies/pikeys/travellers comes up

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
also white people and

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, remember that "Stolen" app where people could "buy" other people's social media accounts and brag about "owning" them? It basically died after mass opt-outing and getting pulled from the app store.

anyway here's "famous.af" which is the same thing and same color scheme but totally different guys

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

overdesigned posted:

Hey, remember that "Stolen" app where people could "buy" other people's social media accounts and brag about "owning" them? It basically died after mass opt-outing and getting pulled from the app store.

anyway here's "famous.af" which is the same thing and same color scheme but totally different guys

right up there with naming stars after people in the category of "selling people poo poo you don't actually own" business models

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

overdesigned posted:

that logo is just tinder's logo in a different color

which I guess is appropriate given the nature of the app

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

famous dot rear end gently caress

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bhodi posted:

pro click if you wanna see some tech bubble playrooms https://twitter.com/ChappellTracker

lol this might be my favorite

tho the rowing boat with tree posterboard is up there too

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

... I think I've sat in that boat

or one that looks very similar

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

too late for that. every story I've seen has described it as "Apple-supplier ARM"

ugh

Sagebrush posted:

tj miller, B-list actor and weedlord of hit tv show Silicon Valley, meets Elon "Elon Musk" Musk at a party:

:eyepop: lllllmmaaaaaaaaooooooooo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

squidgee posted:

can't wait for the awakening

null sweat, chummer just fire up that credstick and this soylent's all yours

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
http://www.techinsider.io/chris-dixon-future-of-self-driving-cars-interview-2016-6

many lols to be had

quote:

The real hold up on driverless cars isn't technology — it's all of us

In May, the first death caused by Tesla's AutoPilot feature occurred. A man who was using the feature on a highway and reportedly watching a DVD while the car manned the road hit a truck and then crashed into a power pole.

The accident made global headlines. One article in Fortune got a passionate response from Tesla founder Elon Musk:

"Indeed, if anyone bothered to do the math (obviously, you did not) they would realize that of the over 1M auto deaths per year worldwide, approximately half a million people would have been saved if the Tesla autopilot was universally available," Musk wrote to Fortune.

While Musk's stat on car-related deaths may be accurate, the question looms: Will humans be forgiving of fatal crashes if they're caused by machines, rather than people?

Dixon thinks that question may be the biggest holdup when it comes to a driverless future.

"In probably 5 years, you’ll have autonomous cars that work as well as people, even in cities. But whenever there’s an accident with an autonomous car it’s headlined everywhere," Dixon says. "Even if you have the perfect computerized, autonomous vehicle, there are still going to be accidents because you’re interacting with the real world ... And then the question is: how does society deal with that? Do we accept the accidents, or are people just horrified by the idea of robots causing them? Meanwhile, humans are texting and they’re drunk and all sorts of things. But we’re used to it."

Driverless cars, he adds, "require a different mindset. To me, that’s much harder to predict."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah just like how cars with defects make national headlines because cars are scary devil robots that the dumb sheeple don't understand and definitely not because the car company hosed up

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Citizen Tayne posted:

I thought the brexit referendum was non-binding. Why aren't the UK's leaders saying "nope, gently caress you"?

they basically are, the person who's now in charge shoved all the most pro doing the thing people into positions where they can be blamed for any issues and then they're taking their sweet time "considering it" so in the end they expect people will just forget about the vote.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fishmech posted:

they basically are, the person who's now in charge shoved all the most pro doing the thing people into positions where they can be blamed for any issues and then they're taking their sweet time "considering it" so in the end they expect people will just forget about the vote.

Probably the best outcome.

Also, did you know? An anagram of "Elon Musk" is "Sulk omen"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The problem with that is the EU is basically so sick of the UK's petulance that they've said "we're not talking to you on anything again until you pull the trigger" so they're half out anyway

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

Probably the best outcome.

Also, did you know? An anagram of "Elon Musk" is "Sulk omen"

:chanpop:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

so you're saying robots would kill over half a million people, elon?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
elon likes to gently caress robot cars and cum in them

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nice. i hope there's an elon "elon musk" musk-edition tesla that is full of his cum and musk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this question has already been studied and answered

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/542626/why-self-driving-cars-must-be-programmed-to-kill/

quote:

The participants were given scenarios in which one or more pedestrians could be saved if a car were to swerve into a barrier, killing its occupant or a pedestrian.

At the same time, the researchers varied some of the details such as the actual number of pedestrians that could be saved, whether the driver or an on-board computer made the decision to swerve and whether the participants were asked to imagine themselves as the occupant or an anonymous person.

The results are interesting, if predictable. In general, people are comfortable with the idea that self-driving vehicles should be programmed to minimize the death toll.

This utilitarian approach is certainly laudable but the participants were willing to go only so far. “[Participants] were not as confident that autonomous vehicles would be programmed that way in reality—and for a good reason: they actually wished others to cruise in utilitarian autonomous vehicles, more than they wanted to buy utilitarian autonomous vehicles themselves,” conclude Bonnefon and co.

And therein lies the paradox. People are in favor of cars that sacrifice the occupant to save other lives—as long they don’t have to drive one themselves.

quote:

Bonnefon and co say these issues raise many important questions: “Is it acceptable for an autonomous vehicle to avoid a motorcycle by swerving into a wall, considering that the probability of survival is greater for the passenger of the car, than for the rider of the motorcycle? Should different decisions be made when children are on board, since they both have a longer time ahead of them than adults, and had less agency in being in the car in the first place? If a manufacturer offers different versions of its moral algorithm, and a buyer knowingly chose one of them, is the buyer to blame for the harmful consequences of the algorithm’s decisions?”

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
option d: there's no excuse for 10 people to be milling around in the middle of a high speed road so instead of killing me, the vehicle operator who has done nothing wrong, plow into those chowder head who are jaywalking on the highway

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

option e: its moot because theres no way the car can have enough knowledge of its environment to know to do anything other than slam on its brakes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the car should jump like inspector gadgets car

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

obviously, presumably they're polling what should happen if that feature is broken

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

option d: there's no excuse for 10 people to be milling around in the middle of a high speed road so instead of killing me, the vehicle operator who has done nothing wrong, plow into those chowder head who are jaywalking on the highway

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
option e: the car should prioritize any maneuver that would sacrifice the passenger/driver in favor of a pedestrian

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

option e: its moot because theres no way the car can have enough knowledge of its environment to know to do anything other than slam on its brakes

the first thing i would do is set the car to think it was filled w/ children so that it places the safety of the occupants as the top priority #futurelifehacks

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

squidgee posted:

they're super good at voting (you out of office), though

logans run was a historical document sent to us from the future

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

The Management posted:

yen is high, pound is low, arm gets paid in dollars which means its valuation will rise.

dang this is really going to mess with the global bape market

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

b0red posted:

dang this is really going to mess with the global bape market

there's a growth opportunity in acronym jackets with the depressed euro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

the depressed euro

...so like, a norwegian?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at buying a car that chooses to kill you. anyone putting my car in a situation where it would decide to kill me is criminally responsible for my death and therefore mowing them down is an act of self defense.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah I'm not sure why the car would have to (or even be able to) make any decision greater than what a human would make in that case, which would be limited to "poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo gently caress poo poo brakes swerve poo poo gently caress"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

yeah I'm not sure why the car would have to (or even be able to) make any decision greater than what a human would make in that case, which would be limited to "poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo gently caress poo poo brakes swerve poo poo gently caress"

the idea is a car has perfect situational awareness and isn't affected by emotion so it should be able to make the Correct choice

how you define Correct is an ethical problem

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

way to read the article guys

the point is: should the car should be able to make a utilitarian judgment to save the most lives, regardless of who's at fault? even if it means running over a pedestrian on the sidewalk instead of three in the road, or swerving off a cliff and killing the driver?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the Correct answer is swerve and eject driver via ejection seat

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The correct answer is whichever gets me, the driver, to my destination as quickly as possible.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Equip my car with flamethrowers and chainsaws, on the inside - and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

Equip my car with flamethrowers and chainsaws, on the inside - and out.

this is me driving my car 2 work in the morning

except instead of sexy sixpack adonis man i'm pudgy agendered blob man

• Locked thread