Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

weekly font posted:

Hoo boy. Not even close. :siren:SPOILING THE TWIST OF THE CABIN IN THE WOODS FOR THIS DUDE SERIOUSLY DONT MOUSE OVER THIS IF YOU GIVE A poo poo :siren:

In the universe of the movie exists Gods. We don't get to see them really but it appears they're maybe along the lines of Lovecraftian Gods. Well these Gods demand a show - a horror movie show. So this organization/cult puts on a yearly ritual which gets a bunch of stereotypes in the woods and plans out a horror movie for the amusement of the Gods. This appeases them so they won't end the world. It's the reason why there are so many cabin in the woods movies with different monsters - it's different every time to keep the Gods entertained. The last scene in the movie is seriously lol-worthy so let me know if you want that too or hey who knows maybe this will pique your interest.

*wet fart*

FYAD already spoiled this for me but I thought they were kidding. Welp,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
To each their own. While I think the particulars of the ending aren't exactly the greatest thing put to screen, the movie that leads up to it is so fun, I can kind of enjoy the dumber things. The very ending is kind of silly, but the last act is still one of the most fun things I've ever seen.

The wet fart thing is dumb though. Did you type that and go "Hell yeah, that just made my post kick-rear end?"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Was it half as good as Insidious? If it was, I'll watch it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Was it half as good as Insidious? If it was, I'll watch it.

I loved Insidious, and I loved Cabin in the Woods. They are totally different movies, but I'd say they were both amazingly fun horror movies.

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010
Okay, that just sounds loving stupid.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
That sounds dumb as hell, but (spoilering just in case I guess) is it trying to be a serious horror movie, or are they aware of how bugfuck crazy that premise is and just kind of run with it? Because if they're aware of the stupidity, it could still be a fun watch. I'd just like to know before I watch it so I know what mindframe to go in with.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

spixxor posted:

That sounds dumb as hell, but (spoilering just in case I guess) is it trying to be a serious horror movie, or are they aware of how bugfuck crazy that premise is and just kind of run with it? Because if they're aware of the stupidity, it could still be a fun watch. I'd just like to know before I watch it so I know what mindframe to go in with.

When the movie switches from "normal slasher tropes" to the actual story beggining to unfold, it never takes itself to seriously. A lot of the stuff that happens in the last act is played for laughs, and is genuinely funny. There is one particular payoff to a running joke in the film with Bradley Whitford's character that may be the funniest thing I've ever seen in a horror-comedy. Also, if you enjoy J-Horror films like Ringu, there is a spectacular gag in the film that pokes fun at it.

Honeydew
Nov 27, 2005

That's a very nice jaffa cake you have there
Why are people even posting spoilers for a movie that isn't even on release for two weeks?

client
Aug 19, 2010

E the Shaggy posted:

I had been waiting to see The Divide for awhile and man oh man, what a disappointment.

Listen, being in a situation where the world has ended and your trapped in a bunker is going to make some people lose it, but holy poo poo they practically turned everyone into cartoons.

"Look at how crazy I am! I'm wearing women's dresses and makeup!"

Come on. I'm not even touching the main protagonist leaving her fiancee to die in a loving fire.

Not to mention the massively retarded ending

The fiance goes to get the gun from the bedroom that's locked behind the safe under the pretense of using the bathroom but guy-in-the-dress tells him that the bathroom is down the hall and to the left. Then minutes later the girl escapes the fire by going into that same bedroom which now magically has the toilet.

Also the mom literally forgetting who her kid was after smoking one joint owned pretty hard too.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Honeydew posted:

Why are people even posting spoilers for a movie that isn't even on release for two weeks?

Because someone asked? And some people like to be spoiled?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The wet fart thing is dumb though. Did you type that and go "Hell yeah, that just made my post kick-rear end?"

Yep pretty much exactly this.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I will never understand how anyone could hate Skyline.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

weekly font posted:

Hoo boy. Not even close. :siren:SPOILING THE TWIST OF THE CABIN IN THE WOODS FOR THIS DUDE SERIOUSLY DONT MOUSE OVER THIS IF YOU GIVE A poo poo :siren:

In the universe of the movie exists Gods. We don't get to see them really but it appears they're maybe along the lines of Lovecraftian Gods. Well these Gods demand a show - a horror movie show. So this organization/cult puts on a yearly ritual which gets a bunch of stereotypes in the woods and plans out a horror movie for the amusement of the Gods. This appeases them so they won't end the world. It's the reason why there are so many cabin in the woods movies with different monsters - it's different every time to keep the Gods entertained. The last scene in the movie is seriously lol-worthy so let me know if you want that too or hey who knows maybe this will pique your interest.

*wet fart*
I liked skyline :( Here's strange I watched Mary Marcy Martha MArlene <-- I think that's the title, because it was on bloodydisgusting, Goddamn you bloodydisgusting this was not a horror movie. Although it was a really good movie. Just not horror. :(

Thanks , yeah. I'm probably not going to see it then. Go ahead and spoiler the end I don't care. I kind of thought that was exactly what it was that that it was a movie or some television show being made for someone, and it was all fake.

Which pisses me off because it is literally saying All horror movies ever including evil dead etc.. are bullshit. This is what has really been happening. So basically its a big gently caress you to all of those producers in its smugness at a explanation. It's like writing a movie with Zombies and then throwing Jason Vorheeves name in there for no reason.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I read the first sentence of that Cabin in the Woods spoiler and I'm actually more excited to see it now than I was before. v:shobon:v

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I read the first sentence of that Cabin in the Woods spoiler and I'm actually more excited to see it now than I was before. v:shobon:v

Yeah I figured that idea would interest some people which is cool - it just wasn't for me at all and besides a couple of good jokes, wasn't even that clever.

Hollis posted:

Thanks , yeah. I'm probably not going to see it then. Go ahead and spoiler the end I don't care.

:siren: :siren:

Well, it is real. They're really killing the kids. The movie needs to be done by [some arbitrary time - midnight?] to appease the Gods and because the virgin lives and they don't get the virgin sacrifice, the Gods are pissed and the last scene is a giant God Hand coming up from the Earth and crushing the cabin - implying that uh...the Gods are gonna end the world I guess?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ugh, pass. Also, in regards to spoilers for horror movies, I don't mind poo poo spoilered if its going to prevent me from seeing another Devil Inside. This is the only film where I looked up who made it so I would know what they look like in case I ever ran into them. So that I could specifically tell them to gently caress off.

edit:

Well to start some kind of discussion. Ill go ahead and argue that the Devil Inside is literally the worst horror movie ever made.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 30, 2012

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I'm kindof in a place with horror where so much of it is either bad or boring that the really polarizing movies are interesting to me. If people either outright hate or love something it probably means that the movie is actually trying something out of the ordinary.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's original horror out there it's just difficult to find. I can't think of the last really even sort of original horror movie I've seen, although I watch a lot of them. Ntohing that's made a impression on me though. I think the last one was May actually and Inside which I found just absolutely disturbing.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 30, 2012

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Devil Inside is probably not the worst horror film ever made but it is probably the most insulting to the audience.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

weekly font posted:

Yeah I figured that idea would interest some people which is cool - it just wasn't for me at all and besides a couple of good jokes, wasn't even that clever.

:siren: :siren:

Well, it is real. They're really killing the kids. The movie needs to be done by [some arbitrary time - midnight?] to appease the Gods and because the virgin lives and they don't get the virgin sacrifice, the Gods are pissed and the last scene is a giant God Hand coming up from the Earth and crushing the cabin - implying that uh...the Gods are gonna end the world I guess?

I can't help from how you described but imagine that the ending looks something like THIS

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Professor Clumsy posted:

I will never understand how anyone could hate Skyline.
Hate is way too strong a word for me personally, but is it really such a surprise to anyone that a movie made by special effects guys turned out to be not good?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mouser.. posted:

I can't help from how you described but imagine that the ending looks something like THIS

This is hilarious and infinitely better.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

weekly font posted:

Devil Inside is probably not the worst horror film ever made but it is probably the most insulting to the audience.

No it's the worst. It literally has no ending. Poorly shot, nonsensical plot, bad acting, makes you angry not because of what occurs to the movie but because the way it was decided to be made. It's like if they ended the first Star Wars half way through the film and a note came up and said." Luke then blew up the deathstar ; turns out vader is his father, visit the Charleton Library and check out a periodical I put there it will tell you more ".

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 31, 2012

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Hate is way too strong a word for me personally, but is it really such a surprise to anyone that a movie made by special effects guys turned out to be not good?

But it is good. Really good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I was really puzzled by the negative reaction to Skyline. It is sincerely goofy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Outside of the loony tunes ending it's not nearly goofy enough to be camp. The plot, dialogue and action range from bad to just bland. So that leaves the special effects, which are all the movie has going for it. It's stuck in some terrible middle ground of not being bad enough to be fun, but definitely not good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Outside of the loony tunes ending it's not nearly goofy enough to be camp. The plot, dialogue and action range from bad to just bland. So that leaves the special effects, which are all the movie has going for it. It's stuck in some terrible middle ground of not being bad enough to be fun, but definitely not good.

Even the special effects are poo poo. It's just an all around bad movie.

Battle: LA, which the creators of Skyline were working on before they left to make Skyline, is twice the movie Skyline is, and even Battle: LA isn't that good.

And why is it being discussed in the horror movie thread anyway :psyduck: It's clearly a terrible sci-fi flick.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

weekly font posted:

Because someone asked? And some people like to be spoiled?

Yep pretty much exactly this.

I usually like to read about certain movies in advanced so I can gauge how kuch gore is in a movie. I'm really squeamish and don't like torture films or things like 'Funny Games' so I often read spoilers. With a really good horror it doesn't really matter. Usually with ghost films or anything supernatural I don't spoiler though.
And I laughed at the wet fart, what can I say. V:shobon:V

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Michael Biehn's new film is basically fan service and masturbation. It's also not at all like a grindhouse movie. I'm apparently the only one on the internet who hates it, so I'm sure someone on here will enjoy it. If you like fan service and self-indulgent bullshit, see The Victim.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
So The Loved Ones was certainly a movie, huh?

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Rabid Koala posted:

Michael Biehn's new film is basically fan service and masturbation. It's also not at all like a grindhouse movie. I'm apparently the only one on the internet who hates it, so I'm sure someone on here will enjoy it. If you like fan service and self-indulgent bullshit, see The Victim.

You haven't seen a horrible Biehn horror movie until you've sat through The Divide.:colbert:

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

User-Friendly posted:

So The Loved Ones was certainly a movie, huh?

Yes, I suppose it was. Thanks for reminding me... :stare:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Even the special effects are poo poo. It's just an all around bad movie.

Battle: LA, which the creators of Skyline were working on before they left to make Skyline, is twice the movie Skyline is, and even Battle: LA isn't that good.

And why is it being discussed in the horror movie thread anyway :psyduck: It's clearly a terrible sci-fi flick.
This whole post is wrong on like five different points.

Skyline is totally horror - Alien-style body horror is all over it, and it has a good deal of similarity to The Mist. That places it in a continuity of 'siege-horror' films going back to, at least, Night Of The Living Dead.

It's also a clear successor to the underrated AV|P:R, which was itself a blend of Alien and the satirical over-identification with a misanthropic inhuman protagonist from Rob Zombie's Halloween films and Jonathan Liebesman's Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning. That's reflected in Skyline's deliberate over-emphasis on its spectacular effects at the expense of its human characters.

Jonathan Liebesman, as it happens, was the director of Battle: Los Angeles, the Official 2011 Film Of The Year - and obviously a blend of the science fiction, war and horror genres in the tradition of Them! and Aliens.

All the films listed in this post own.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Then I can make the argument that War of the Worlds is horror, hell I could argue that the Sixth Day with Arnold is about loss of gender identity. I mean you can apply horror to any genre. We apply that to Scifi as it has definitive sci fi elements, aliens etc... just because something is suspenseful or has suspense elements doesn't make it horror. Just because you can justify a statement doesn't make it correct. It's just an opinion.

It took the special effects over the acting elements of the movie because really the people who made it didn't give a poo poo, they wanted to make something that looked like a huge summer blockbuster with little money. So the money was spent where they felt it was most important on special effects. I think the special effects are good btw. I mean I was impressed and really enjoyed parts of the film.

It also has the true love overcomes, triumph of the human spirit aspect of most alien invasion stories as well.

edit:

You seem to apply the Heisenburg uncertainty principle something normally associated with physics to your film critiques which are well written but you seem to be obsessed with seeing Jungian archetypes, sexuality, feminism, etc.. to the point of ad nauseum. Maybe take a step back and just review the the film on whether you enjoyed it or not and why instead of letting your personal political beliefs creep into your analysis. Your viewing of those films doesn't inherently change the essence of a film. You just sound like a crazy person who's intelligent and verbose.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 1, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollis posted:

Then I can make the argument that War of the Worlds is horror

What War of the Worlds did you see? It's a horror movie, dude - one of the first big budget horror pictures that can be described "post 9/11" horror movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its science Fiction, again having elements of suspense does not automatically place something into a horror genre. I mean it literally is one of the first science fiction novels, it's classified as science fiction, you can share categories but the predominant motif of the film is science fiction. Most movies have to some degree an amount of suspense, that doesn't make them horror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Again, if you're talking about the movie, there's barely anything that characterizes it as science fiction. Every major event of the film is essentially one of abject horror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 1, 2012

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

It's an alien invasion with giant robots trying to terraform our planet. How much more "science fiction" do you need?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, I have no idea.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Is this some April Fool's trolling going on here or something, because if so that's not cool guys!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's reflected in Skyline's deliberate over-emphasis on its spectacular effects at the expense of its human characters.
So are you saying that your opinion is the bad acting, plot and dialogue are an artistic choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Let me give you three examples.

First is the emergence of the pods. The science fiction information posed to you is that there are craft buried under the earth awaiting pilots riding lightning bolts (which is pregnant with other implications). These craft have heat rays to vaporize the pesky humans scurrying around. However, watching this scene, you undoubtedly recall humans being reduced to dust, our hero, Ray, running away from a dust cloud and returning to his panicked family, covered in human ash. The impression of the scene is unfathomable horror, fear and destruction. It's not a scene about the aliens.

Next is entire section following the estranged mom's townhome, which comes in 3 major parts: the carjacking, the hell-train/ferry, and the battle on the ridge. The carjacking may be the signature scene of the film, contains no aliens or science fiction concepts whatsoever, yet carries the tone of the rest of the film - what fear and panic does to people. The horror is present in what other people will do to one another out of self-preservation. No science fiction. The next scene with the screaming train ablaze and the panicked scramble for the ferry is another reminder of the themes of the film, the familiar becoming the frightening. The battle on the ridge couldn't be more focused on the family drama, the son rushing off to war totally unprepared but certain that he doesn't want to spend another second with his lovely father. Aliens are barely on the periphery of these scenes.

Finally is the encounter with the hermit - the aliens crawling around the basement are a sideline to what's actually going on in this scene: Ray and his daughter are afraid of this mentally unstable man. We subsequently become afraid of Ray because he is willing to do to keep his family safe. None of these scenes are about science fiction concepts or the aliens themselves, they are, like the rest of the film, a crucible of terrified people against something that can barely be understood. Is Cloverfield science fiction?