Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Rock was a phenomenal heavyweight seller and a solid bumper. He went out there with the intention it seemed to make his opponent always look like he was on his level, and due to that, it's why he's one of the best wrestlers of his generation. Just about every move he executed was crisp, tight and well executed and he kept audiences connected to everything he did through unbelievable charisma.

But I guess he sucked as a wrestler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jerusalem posted:

Yes the Rock was "lovely" in that if you stopped and dispassionately looked at his style and execution and technical ability he wasn't very good. Nobody ever did that, though, because everyone was too busy being absolutely loving enthralled in every single little thing he did.

Similar to Hogan, one of the worst "wrestlers" ever but nobody gave a poo poo because he was so charismatic/entertaining and dragged the crowd along for the ride.

Eric S :colbert: I hated when the psycho meat inspector would call him Flex Kavana and his readers oogums.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

Rock was a phenomenal heavyweight seller and a solid bumper. He went out there with the intention it seemed to make his opponent always look like he was on his level, and due to that, it's why he's one of the best wrestlers of his generation. Just about every move he executed was crisp, tight and well executed and he kept audiences connected to everything he did through unbelievable charisma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbJx2N0jBE

Meh, I just don't like the fucker, probably because I don't think he's funny.

And that concludes my 3rd annual "The Rock Sucks" soliloquy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

He was selling it for the top rows, which is exactly how you're supposed to sell big moves in pro wrestling. It's what independent wrestlers can never loving get through their head when they get to the WWE. You're not selling for the front row, you're selling for the bleeders.

Maybe you like realism in your pro wrestling, which is fine, but pro wrestling is supposed to sell you a story, not an athletic competition. Besides, anyone who says they like realism in their wrestling is loving brain dead if they accept irish whips and every pinfall lasting exactly two seconds without struggle until the finish.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

He was selling it for the top rows, which is exactly how you're supposed to sell big moves in pro wrestling. It's what independent wrestlers can never loving get through their head when they get to the WWE. You're not selling for the front row, you're selling for the bleeders.

Maybe you like realism in your pro wrestling, which is fine, but pro wrestling is supposed to sell you a story, not an athletic competition. Besides, anyone who says they like realism in their wrestling is loving brain dead if they accept irish whips and every pinfall lasting exactly two seconds without struggle until the finish.

Oh come on, I just posted that clip to be a smart rear end, but come on. You couldn't have originally typed that post to defend Rock's stupid Stunner-handstand thing.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Pneub posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbJx2N0jBE

Meh, I just don't like the fucker, probably because I don't think he's funny.

And that concludes my 3rd annual "The Rock Sucks" soliloquy.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > Wrestlehut 2K: ston cold stunner a the rock

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The A-Team Van posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > Wrestlehut 2K: ston cold stunner a the rock

Oh come on, that's clearly Spanish for "ston cold stunner to the rock"

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Oh come on, that's clearly Spanish for "ston cold stunner to the rock"

And they misspelled Stone Cold's real name, Stan Cold.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

I loving love this. Overselling moves just makes me go :aaa: :neckbeard:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lone Rogue posted:

This is ridiculous. The first thing you learn in any acting class is the difference between stage acting and camera acting. The cheap seats are five feet from you if you're on camera. I don't care if it's wrestling. It still counts.

That being said, Rock's overselling never bothered me at all. I thought it was part of his charm.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

This is ridiculous. The first thing you learn in any acting class is the difference between stage acting and camera acting. The cheap seats are five feet from you if you're on camera. I don't care if it's wrestling. It still counts.

That being said, Rock's overselling never bothered me at all. I thought it was part of his charm.

Go watch the best heels from the 1960s to the 1980s. All of them sell big and usually have a spot (Ric Flair's top rope flop for example) which everyone can see the impact for.

The best babyfaces from the 1960s to the 1980s also had several moves that were big and visually effective. From Dusty's elbow to Bob Backlund's wind up to Hogan's pointing and on and on.

It's Wrestling 101.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

Go watch the best heels from the 1960s to the 1980s. All of them sell big and usually have a spot (Ric Flair's top rope flop for example) which everyone can see the impact for.

The best babyfaces from the 1960s to the 1980s also had several moves that were big and visually effective. From Dusty's elbow to Bob Backlund's wind up to Hogan's pointing and on and on.

It's Wrestling 101.

They usually didn't do a random out of place push-up in the middle of a roll for no reason.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Right, but that's hardly the same thing. Overselling to the point of making it look ridiculous to all but the back row is worlds apart from selling big and having big moves and the like.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

iamsosmrt posted:

Though as the years went on, I guess the Elbow was sometimes used alone in knocking people out.
Except in battle royals, when the elbow would inexplicably make wrestlers stumble to their feet so they could get tossed out :v:

I always love when the effects of a move completely change based on the stipulations of a match. See also: Stunner in a battle royal; Superkick in a tag match (you slowly turn around into a Pedigree instead of just falling over)

Minidust fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 14, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

Right, but that's hardly the same thing. Overselling to the point of making it look ridiculous to all but the back row is worlds apart from selling big and having big moves and the like.

The reason why I'm fine with such a big oversell is because Rock was trying to make Austin look like a million bucks. He wouldn't flip like that if the purpose wasn't to get a big pop and make the Stunner look huge. If you're overselling, it's to make your opponent look amazing.

Now, overselling to make your opponent look bad, that's a different story...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Minidust posted:

Except in battle royals, when the elbow would inexplicably make wrestlers stumble to their feet so they could get tossed out :v:

I always love when the effects of a move completely change based on the stipulations of a match. See also: Stunner in a battle royal; Superkick in a tag match (you slowly turn around into a Pedigree instead of just falling over)

Duh, they apply the move differently. Cena's 5-knuckle-shuffle hits a pressure point that causes you to stand to alleviate the pain.

Andy Cancer
Jul 31, 2006
the possibilities are endless!
I see it more like the full effect of the Stunner hadn't reached Rocky's brain yet and he pushed himself up trying to get up and kick Steve's rear end. Kinda like Flair does when he gets knocked silly in the corner and stumbles out and whiffs a few punches before falling down.

It's an homage.

tongster
Jan 18, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wrestling is theatre, why else is Wrestlemania called the GRAAHHHHANDEST STAGE OF THEM ALL

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

a hungry dog posted:

Wrestling is theatre, why else is Wrestlemania called the GRAAHHHHANDEST STAGE OF THEM ALL

But it's "The Super Bowl of Sports Entertainment" :colbert:

It's confusing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

a hungry dog posted:

Wrestling is on television. You don't over-act when there's a camera two feet from your face unless you're Ric Flair or Dwayne Johnson and can get away with it.

tongster
Jan 18, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LividLiquid posted:

Wrestling is on television. You don't over-act when there's a camera two feet from your face unless you're Ric Flair or Dwayne Johnson and can get away with it.

Well loving hell then. :colbert:

WWE Discussion is The Wire for/ever

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LividLiquid posted:

If you're in a play, and it's being recorded, you still pander to the live audience. If you were doing theatre, and you pandered to a camera, the director would yell at you. Wrestling is basically theatre in the round. Camera or not, you have an audience, you work with it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

a hungry dog posted:

Well loving hell then. :colbert:

WWE Discussion is The Wire for/ever

SHE-ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Even the Wire has over-acting.

Wrestling is more akin to soaps than primetime TV, though primetime TV has some lovely acting. Prison Break, anyone?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Paul London looks strangely like Christian Bale.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
When was the last time The Undertaker was a heel? Corporate Ministry?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

DannoMack posted:

When was the last time The Undertaker was a heel? Corporate Ministry?

After Invasion when he went 'Big Red.'

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Counterpoint: Nicolas Cage.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

CM Junk posted:

Counterpoint: Nicolas Cage.

Ghost Rider.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Luminous Cow posted:

Ghost Rider.

Nicolas Cage was far and away the best thing about that movie that didn't have a mustache.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Lone Rogue posted:

The reason why I'm fine with such a big oversell is because Rock was trying to make Austin look like a million bucks. He wouldn't flip like that if the purpose wasn't to get a big pop and make the Stunner look huge. If you're overselling, it's to make your opponent look amazing.

It was to be entertaining and look cool. Nothing more, nothing less. Not even "hey, this will make Austin and the Stunner look dangerous as gently caress" just trying to do something cool.

Lone Rogue posted:

Now, overselling to make your opponent look bad, that's a different story...

It's this story, to be specific.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0BYSLdthvQ

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

Lone Rogue posted:

But he doesn't do flips like in my precious Indy wrestling

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
The Rock had amazing chemistry with a ton of different opponents and had great matches with all of them. Whether it was Triple H, Stone Cold, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Mick Foley, Eddie Guerrero, Big Show, Chris Benoit, or Brock Lesnar, he had an awesome match with all of them. Undertaker's really the only one he never seemed to click with.

Sure, most of those guys were great wrestlers in their own right, and you could argue they carried him. But even then, to have great matches with a ton of different great wrestlers, you'd have to be pretty good yourself, don't you think?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Graic posted:

Sure, most of those guys were great wrestlers in their own right, and you could argue they carried him. But even then, to have great matches with a ton of different great wrestlers, you'd have to be pretty good yourself, don't you think?

I have never heard a wrestler, aside from Bret (but it was early in Rock's career so it was understandable) say that Rock had to be carried.

Triple H once had an opportunity to totally make himself look good compared to the Rock and instead said that Rock brought something out of him no other wrestler does and just made matches a different level. It's interesting when so many wrestlers say that about one guy. Like you said.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Von Dozier posted:

But he doesn't do flips like in my precious Indy wrestling

Leave those straw men alone, Dozey. Crows are bad this season.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

Graic posted:

The Rock had amazing chemistry with a ton of different opponents and had great matches with all of them. Whether it was Triple H, Stone Cold, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Mick Foley, Eddie Guerrero, Big Show, Chris Benoit, or Brock Lesnar, he had an awesome match with all of them. Undertaker's really the only one he never seemed to click with.

This kinda makes me wonder: Who all did Undertaker have good chemistry with? Shawn Michaels, obviously, and maybe Foley. But while he's had good matches with all the others, I don't really recall many great matches not against Michaels or Foley from him. And that's kinda odd, considering how much I like him.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

He brings the best out of Batista, certainly.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I'd also say he and Jericho work very well together. But then again, find me someone with even a small bit of talent Jericho can't pull a good match out of.

If Taker sticks around a while longer, and if Swagger gets elevated, we might one day find they have great chemistry. The one match they had was pretty damned good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Graic posted:

Undertaker's really the only one he never seemed to click with.

I recall Rock/Taker/Angle having at least one absolutely loving incredible match (I think when Rock won the Undisputed Title) that just blew everything else on the show out of the water.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Jerusalem posted:

I recall Rock/Taker/Angle having at least one absolutely loving incredible match (I think when Rock won the Undisputed Title) that just blew everything else on the show out of the water.

And I suppose we should add Angle to the list, as well. I remember 2 matches between the two that were particularly great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Vengance 2003I think? It had a big staredown between Rock and Undertaker at the beginning, and Angle throwing a big tantrum to get them to notice him.