Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

schweg posted:

I'm going as well. Figured I have to see it once, even if the vibe sucks.

I booked a bungalow in Haad Yao for four days so I can be away from the noise on the other days. It was kind of a pain in the rear end since I can't get there until the 25th. I found a list of bungalows/guest houses/resorts on the island and then tried to book the ones that looked promising. A lot of them don't have a phone number for booking. You have to do it by email and of course it's not like they're checking their email all the time. Since you'll be there in person your best bet is probably to pick a beach that sounds nice and wander around until you find a place that isn't full. My impression is that there are clusters of accomodations on some of the beaches and probably plenty of small bungalows/guest houses that can't be found online. I could be totally wrong though.

If you want to meet up I'm not opposed and it'd be cool although I'm sure the whole thing is going to be a huge CF so it might not work out.

Yeah, just finished getting here and getting all setup in KPG. Pretty bewildering little village, I found a little bungalow for a good price.

And yeah, we'll see what it's like when you get here, but I have a feeling it'll be pretty nuts.

You'll recognize me by the way I'm white, early twenties, and will likely by drunk. Oh wai-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

lol internet. posted:

Can anyone with experience in the Philippines comment on travel between Cebu, Palawan (El Nindo?) and Boracay? Specifically, cheapest way to get in from SEA (any city is fine,) and cheapest way out (to any city, preferably different from the entry.) Also, how much to travel between the 3 destinations, and if going to Palawan, is it worth going to Boracay? Vice versa. Philippines seem to be a bit more expensive as it's all islands and you most likely got to fly everywhere?

Wonder how much a Philippine leg would cost if I add it to my trip as I have an extra month now.

it's not bad. Manila to Cebu is like $200 USD for the white person price.

you drive, take a ferry, or plane. Plane is usually recommended form of travel.

Note any place south of Cebu (i.e. Mindanao) is pretty much a "do not go there" according to the State Department.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Chocolate Milk posted:

Recommendations for places to stay in Phnom Penh? Preferably cheap, clean, double room, private bathroom.

Or, alternatively, if we arrive at the airport in the afternoon without any accommodation booked, where should we go to start looking?

What sort of price range are you looking at? For cheap places I usually recommend Okay Guesthouse, since I know the family that run it and they're really cool guys, but they've just moved into a new building a few doors down and I have no idea what the new place is like. That street has a few backpacker places along it though and it's a nice location, so it's a good place to start looking I guess. Or head over to the riverside area, loads of hotels around there - I've never stayed there, but Velkommen Inn is recommended a lot.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
ATTENTION GOONS:

IF YOU ARE IN KUALA LUMPUR.

LOOK AT A loving MAP.

SEE IF WHATEVER YOU WANT IS ON THE GREEN LINE.

(IT'S THE MONORAIL)

IF IT IS, JUST DON'T.

Jesus loving Christ in a plastic casket, they built a two loving car monorail for a city of thirteen loving million. Thirteen everliving million loving people. Two god damned cars. You can see my eye twitching from wherever you are.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chocolate Milk posted:

Recommendations for places to stay in Phnom Penh? Preferably cheap, clean, double room, private bathroom.

Or, alternatively, if we arrive at the airport in the afternoon without any accommodation booked, where should we go to start looking?
I always recommend Velkommen. If you scroll up above your post you'll see me replying to a similar post by schweg, here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=411806313#post411774550

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

lol internet. posted:

edit:
Can anyone with experience in the Philippines comment on travel between Cebu, Palawan (El Nindo?) and Boracay? Specifically, cheapest way to get in from SEA (any city is fine,) and cheapest way out (to any city, preferably different from the entry.) Also, how much to travel between the 3 destinations, and if going to Palawan, is it worth going to Boracay? Vice versa. Philippines seem to be a bit more expensive as it's all islands and you most likely got to fly everywhere?

Wonder how much a Philippine leg would cost if I add it to my trip as I have an extra month now.

Missed the edit.

Cebu Pacific is pretty much the cheapest airline here that doesn't fall out of the sky and has the best coverage. I generally check them first.

As to El Nido and Boracay, I prefer El Nido. Generally the tourist thing to do is land in Puerto Princessa, find a cheap place to stay, go do the underground river tour(Got to book this in advance), maybe do an island hopping tour with some coral reef snorkling if you feel like it, then head to El Nido. El Nido is roughly 6-7 hours from Puerto Princessa. You can also fly from Manila direct to El Nido in a small 19 seater, but I think that's only for the guests of this one resort or something. Never taken it.

El Nido is more of a relaxed beach place, whereas Boracay is all party, all the time. If you're planning on being somewhat sober during your stay, I wouldn't recommend Boracay. On the other hand, if you plan on drinking a lot, Boracay is probably a better fit.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

ReindeerF posted:

I always recommend Velkommen. If you scroll up above your post you'll see me replying to a similar post by schweg, here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=411806313#post411774550

Oops, missed that; I skimmed the post and thought it was all Siam Reap advice. Thanks, we'll check it out!

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Tytan posted:

What sort of price range are you looking at? For cheap places I usually recommend Okay Guesthouse, since I know the family that run it and they're really cool guys, but they've just moved into a new building a few doors down and I have no idea what the new place is like. That street has a few backpacker places along it though and it's a nice location, so it's a good place to start looking I guess. Or head over to the riverside area, loads of hotels around there - I've never stayed there, but Velkommen Inn is recommended a lot.

What?? They moved out of the old building? God dammit, I'm headed back to Cambodia for a week or so at the end of March and was looking forward to visiting that old rabbit warren again. I swear every time I went they led me down some new unknown passage to a different set of rooms I never knew about. They even opened that annex across the street at one point.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Jesus loving Christ in a plastic casket, they built a two loving car monorail for a city of thirteen loving million. Thirteen everliving million loving people. Two god damned cars. You can see my eye twitching from wherever you are.
Apparently KL city proper has a population of just 1.8 million (according to Wikivoyage), but two cars is pretty sad. That's the size of the Changi airport skytrain. I hope you're enjoying the public buses then!

All the talk about Thailand makes me want to go there and lie on the beach. Is there a good, broadbanded spot to do coding while enjoying good food, drink and views?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

creamyhorror posted:

Is there a good, broadbanded spot to do coding while enjoying good food, drink and views?

Yes.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

CronoGamer posted:

What?? They moved out of the old building? God dammit, I'm headed back to Cambodia for a week or so at the end of March and was looking forward to visiting that old rabbit warren again. I swear every time I went they led me down some new unknown passage to a different set of rooms I never knew about. They even opened that annex across the street at one point.

Yeah, something about their rent increasing too much, which is weird since I always figured they owned the place. The new building looks like more of a standard hotel, so no more maze of corridors unfortunately. It also means they've lost that huge dining area which is a shame. I'll have to stop by the new place for dinner one night and see how they're getting on.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Tytan posted:

Missed this post too! Apparently I'm not so great at reading SA on my iPod.

Yeah, cheap is ideal, though I don't know what qualifies as cheap in Cambodia. As is a location with a few guesthouses; we've had good success so far with one of us looking after the bags while the other goes and checks out rooms.

Heading there tomorrow. Two weeks in Thailand has flown by.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There's a hilarious journalistic feud going on between an authentic British muckraker/tabloid guy and a bullshit American scammer who runs a bullshit paper in Pattaya. That's not completely bizarre for Thailand, but it's devolved into lawsuits with the Brit way beyond in the right and today's episode spawned an article with this quote:

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2013/01/flying-sporran-on-run-joins-tartan.html

quote:

Noyes is suing Drummond for suggesting he might be going to jail – and for allegedly claiming that his wife gave blow jobs to foreigners.
God I love this country, haha.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I'm thinking of going to Koh Lipe in late Feb. Just wondering the best way to get there as it seems like there are a few options. Will be arriving/departing via Bangkok. Also if anyone knows a good place to stay I would like to hear about it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually meeting 2 Korean goons tonight in Bangkok when they are flying from Koh Lipe. They are usually lurkers but I will badger him to keep on posting. He likes it very much, only 2 cops in patrol for the whole island and really really really chill. Great for honey moon and couples. And the bar owner hooked them up with :420:

Anways, GOOOOOOON MEEET TOMORRROW!!! ReindeerF Check your whatsapp :shobon:

Right now trying to reconfirm, but shooting late afternoon, like 4pm. in Siam Paragon Krispy Kreme.

Awesome thing is, RingoR wants to bring us to this place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2GIc9cBiSo

Looks really rad

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 25, 2013

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah thanks man I appreciate it. What is the trip from Bangkok to Koh Lipe like? It seems like it will take more or less a day to get there, if its nice maybe we stop along the way, if its ugly maybe we choose somewhere closer to go.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'll meet you guys when you get to KSR. I'm not going into town from here if I can avoid it, heh. loving traffic. Spent an hour and a quarter transiting from my condo in Nonthaburi to Din Daeng yesterday - and that's still on the North end of town for gently caress's sake. Boat to KSR may go slow, but it doesn't have to stop every five seconds!

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

unixbeard posted:

Yeah thanks man I appreciate it. What is the trip from Bangkok to Koh Lipe like? It seems like it will take more or less a day to get there, if its nice maybe we stop along the way, if its ugly maybe we choose somewhere closer to go.

I'm actually sitting in Hat Yai international typing this now. Just left Koh Lipe this morning.

I can't speak for the overnight bus or train, but even with flying, it took 7 hours to get to Koh Lipe from Chiang Mai. 2 hour flight, two hour drive from Hat Yai International to the port, and then a 1.5 hour speed boat ride to the island. The drive to the port and the speedboat were both very scenic, but we didn't stop at all.

Edit: Just saw you were asking for accommodations. We stayed at Serene Resort. It was neither serene nor a resort. We had a basic aircon room with shower, TV, and two cups. It was about $40 a night. I booked ahead because it looked like everything online was booking quick, but I think a lot of places aren't on the usual booking sites. Seemed like a lot of people just walked around until they found a place. Sunset beach has the best snorkeling, Sunrise beach has the best looking water, and Pattaya beach has the best sand. All the beaches have bars and restaurants, but Pattaya Beach had the most, followed by Sunrise and Sunset. If you stay on Walking Street, you won't have a beach view, but you'll be more or less in the middle of the island.

Anything else, just message me.

Andro fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 25, 2013

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

caberham posted:

Anways, GOOOOOOON MEEET TOMORRROW!!! ReindeerF Check your whatsapp :shobon:

Right now trying to reconfirm, but shooting late afternoon, like 4pm. in Siam Paragon Krispy Kreme.

Please tell me you'll just be sitting near the doorway in Krispy Kreme screaming "STAIRS!" at every white person that walks through the door. That will make my afternoon to see it.

Anywho, I might be a little bit later than 4, as I'll be depending on minibusses and songteaws for most of the way there. But I'll be there.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

Please tell me you'll just be sitting near the doorway in Krispy Kreme screaming "STAIRS!" at every white person that walks through the door.
It will make an interesting change of pace from "DVD DVD SEX SHOW DVD SMOKE ROYAL PALACE TEMPLE DVD SEX SHOW SMOKE LADY BOOM BOOM DVD" that's for sure. In fairness, that's only outside the mall usually, though.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

YOU LIKE PUSSY? PING PONG? *popping noise*

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

caberham posted:

Awesome thing is, RingoR wants to bring us to this place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2GIc9cBiSo

Looks really rad

Well crap, I kind of forgot the meet and planned on going to an Aussie BBQ (free food yay) starting at 4pm. I'm so sick of Thai food I could puke ^_^ Just let me know if you guys would like to join. I can add caberham to WhatsApp if I can figure out how it works. Do I just need your username or something?

Edit: I just witnessed two kids riding very fast on a motorbike with the passenger dropping a boxcutter. They passed me earlier with one guy ahead of them yelling profanities into his phone. It didn't occur to me until just now that those two kids might've just stabbed someone and getting away, dumping the knife. [insert amazing thailand logo]

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 25, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm back. I've accepted a teaching position in Indonesia, just outside Surabaya. Have we got anyone near there at all?

Morricone
Jul 7, 2005

Ringo R posted:

Well crap, I kind of forgot the meet and planned on going to an Aussie BBQ (free food yay) starting at 4pm. I'm so sick of Thai food I could puke ^_^ Just let me know if you guys would like to join. I can add caberham to WhatsApp if I can figure out how it works. Do I just need your username or something?

Edit: I just witnessed two kids riding very fast on a motorbike with the passenger dropping a boxcutter. They passed me earlier with one guy ahead of them yelling profanities into his phone. It didn't occur to me until just now that those two kids might've just stabbed someone and getting away, dumping the knife. [insert amazing thailand logo]

Depends I guess. If you witnessed it on Sukhumvit or some other area with many foreigners I think it's more likely that they were "cut-snatching" camerabags and purses. After all, while boxcutters are indeed lethal as gently caress they do lack range.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If it's out here in Non it's probably tech school gangs or waen boys or whatever. They're routinely trying to kill one another. Tech school here had a shootout near my place a couple of months ago in the middle of the day. I never see any of it, but I heard the shots that day and I read about it. Or, you know, maybe the guy was just doing Gangnam Style in front of the wrong group of people.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Hey guys, I'm getting into Bangkok tomorrow night and I would still really love to meet up with someone. drat shame I'm missing the goonparty tonight. :saddowns: Would anybody be interested or at least take pity on me? I'd be happy to bring some junk from China, if you like. I'm a nice guy, and it would be fun to swap Asia stories, as I'm China goon. Don't Ask Kant can attest that I'm not a creep! :china:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress don muang. Yes immigration was a breeze, yet transportation network is so crippled. Even late at night everyone is waiting for a taxi. There's no bus to the central districts. Ugh

I did manage to get a SIM card. One goon is still mia. My my number is

+66 0822028393

Just add this number to your phone book and whatsapp should detect me. Send your dick picks. Geeze goons, get on with the times ;-)

Staying by siam, edge of nana service apartment. drat, 1500 baht to rent a 100 square meter service apartment rules. I can fit two families here.

Smart phones are awesome because the taxi driver got lost yet Google maps saved the day

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

I can fit two families here.
Chinese tourist spotted!

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
wait'll you see how many families you can fit on a thai motorcycle.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I hear you people let babies poop right onto the train floor c/d

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

eviljelly posted:

I hear you people let babies poop right onto the train floor c/d

Old men and teenagers too.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Im sorry. lost my phone. not sure how to get goon tonight. probably reschedule tomorrow for lunch if you guys are up :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Doh, wondered why I didn't get a call about meeting up. I saw this a bit ago at dinner and texted your number to call back, but I'm assuming they tossed the SIM already and turned it off. I didn't get anything back.

Sorry about that, duder. I'm stuck doing Chinese New Year family poo poo tomorrow for lunch, so I can't make it unfortunately. I guess post here if you guys are out at Khao San or something tonight or tomorrow night!

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
In case anyones interested in watching, a show aired in Canada last night in regards to the death of the two Quebec sisters in Thailand and the deaths of a Canadian and American in Vietnam last night: http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2329257514/

I was able to watch it from US so I don't think theirs region restrictions on it.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

lol internet. posted:

In case anyones interested in watching, a show aired in Canada last night in regards to the death of the two Quebec sisters in Thailand and the deaths of a Canadian and American in Vietnam last night: http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2329257514/

I was able to watch it from US so I don't think theirs region restrictions on it.

I just watched the whole thing, it's almost 5am, gently caress.

Ok so the whole thing is quite sensationalistic, with the editing and music. I guess that's TV these days. "But WHAT - dun dun DUNNN - could have KILLED these two [innocent travel pictures] young innocent women?" They spend 40 minutes leading us on the bed bug spray cause but then in the last 10 minutes "literally dozens of experts, who did not want to appear on camera" state that it's most likely bacterial. Ok, what have we got here? They did the show without having all the facts, the guy at some point even says that CBC-paid chemists are still working on samples but have nothing to show right now. Well? And now?

I'm not a specialist in that field, but I'm pretty sure emptying an aerosol can of the most potent product you could find in a room (with AC) would not kill me. And no thanks, I will not test that theory.

Also, why are they all young women? That should raise a bell, no? Rapists trying some homemade GHB thing? Are there reports of young healthy males dying in similar circumstances? I'm just asking questions here!

Senso fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 26, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That case has been speculated on to Hell and back, yeah. The series of deaths there and in Chiang Mai were never exactly solved, but a lot of people did think maybe there was a tie to some chemical because in Chiang Mai it wasn't all women and there was even a local worker victim.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Things are taking shape. Bashed the gym and lost 17kg, don't look like a fatty. Just bought a little Fiesta so the Ferrari is up for sale. Once it's gone I should have more than enough to spend a decent amount of time chilling on a beach in Thailand, drinking singha and pulling backpackers. gently caress working 9 to 5 for the rest of my life and being miserable. See you mid-April :)

Sorry about the e/n.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Sorry to hear about your phone, man. Sorry, but I bounced to Hua Hin last night after I didn't hear from you. Won't get back to Bangkok until around eight tonight. How long are you staying in Thailand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I did not look at that part of KL for one moment and now Pudu Jail is gone! You'd think they'd keep more of a historically-significant place like that. At least the gate and front wall are still there.

Whatever gets build there better have a lot of parking.