Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Toronto, Yonge and Davisville. They really zip up and down getting the cables in. My whole building looks to have been completed in a day and a half. I'm surprised Bell would even attempt an interior install when they can blast a drill through the walls as recklessly and as quickly as I got to witness today..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

Toronto, Yonge and Davisville. They really zip up and down getting the cables in. My whole building looks to have been completed in a day and a half. I'm surprised Bell would even attempt an interior install when they can blast a drill through the walls as recklessly and as quickly as I got to witness today..

I'm up and yonge and finch. We have very straight vertical risers for our telephone cable, and they thought they could make it through the existing shaft. They were wrong, but mostly because the initial assessment team were dumb asses who didn't bother to ask a bunch of important questions.

I just hope they can get the external team onsite sooner rather than later, we are already a month behind and it's annoying to be so close to gigabit and not have it. :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

Rogers pushed a new firmware for their rickety-rear end gigabit modems yesterday. Surprisingly, it seems to be a massive improvement. I'm getting 925/45 consistently now.

Was that for the Intel chipset jitter issue people were talking about?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I don't know, I think the jitter/latency issues were mostly worked out by the time I got my modem as I never experienced them, the major difference for me after the latest firmware update was going from ~750mbps down to ~925mbps down.

That said, I'm getting a bit over half that today, no idea if it's due to network congestion or the modem being wonky.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
From my understanding, there's going to be a few more firmware updates coming down the pipe that will further improve Hitron modem functionality since they're starting to be able to maximize that intel chipset (I'm assuming you're running a hitron or something similar because of the chipset).

I know my ISP specifically didn't have the ping functionality actually being hardware accelerated in the modem's chipset and I'd get weird 40ms spikes that caused me to get kicked from games (despite the latency spike being ICMP only, not game packets) so once they turned that on, my jitter went away (Hitron modem) and so did my latency based game kicks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yeah, I have the puma-7 Hitron (CODA-4582)

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Telus is coming to my house on Thursday to upgrade my fibre from 100/20 to 150/150. They're putting in a new modem and router. I hope I can bypass this one too, because I am not dealing with their dumb lovely software if I can help it. And I am for drat sure not letting go of my nice DD-WRT router. From my cold dead hands you Telus bastards.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Antioch posted:

Telus is coming to my house on Thursday to upgrade my fibre from 100/20 to 150/150. They're putting in a new modem and router. I hope I can bypass this one too, because I am not dealing with their dumb lovely software if I can help it. And I am for drat sure not letting go of my nice DD-WRT router. From my cold dead hands you Telus bastards.

What software is it they want you to run? Is it just Telus that does this or other providers as well? Where I'm at we just do PPPoE for our fibre customers.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If you are eligible for Bell's gigabit service in Toronto, get ye to the Home Show.
Better TV+PVR/Gigabit/Phone lite, free modem+install, for $99.90 for a 2 year term. Beats having to dick around with Rententions :)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Chris Knight posted:

If you are eligible for Bell's gigabit service in Toronto, get ye to the Home Show.
Better TV+PVR/Gigabit/Phone lite, free modem+install, for $99.90 for a 2 year term. Beats having to dick around with Rententions :)

Thank you, even better news from the Home Show:

quote:

I was informed that if we wanted the Good TV package instead of the Better TV package, we could *probably* get it for $73 + tax, which in my opinion is a very good price, but I wanted some of the channels in the Better package.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Chris Knight posted:

Ugh this would be great but my lease is up in July :(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Am I taking crazy pills or did Teksavvy at some point have a tech come onsite for DSL installs?

I just had a customer service rep who claims to have worked at Teksavvy for 7 years tell me that they have never had onsite tech visits, and it's the customer's responsibility to connect the equipment.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

bigmandan posted:

What software is it they want you to run? Is it just Telus that does this or other providers as well? Where I'm at we just do PPPoE for our fibre customers.

Software was the wrong word - what I meant was the router they hook you up with. Luckily I was able to put this one in Bridge Mode as well. Last one I got I had to edit some CSS to display the bridge option, the new one it was already there and just had to be turned on.

I'm getting decent speeds down and up, and the 1TB cap is nice (even though I never got to the 550gb on my old plan).

Can't argue with the price either, I called in and got them to drop it (thanks Shaw mailer!) so I'm paying $85 a month for 150/150 and a home phone (I need it for my alarm system).

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Am I taking crazy pills or did Teksavvy at some point have a tech come onsite for DSL installs?

I just had a customer service rep who claims to have worked at Teksavvy for 7 years tell me that they have never had onsite tech visits, and it's the customer's responsibility to connect the equipment.

Any sort of connection/disconnection should be handled by an on-site tech. Maybe they mean Teksavvy doesn't do on-site stuff? Because they sure as hell need $robelus to come down and connect you to the DSLAM

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You know what I like most about Chatr? Carrier messages spelled like "Ur payment was successful, ur new balance is..." What I like more is that because Rogers are fuckups they can't stay consistent and will also use 'your' and 'ur' in the same text message.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Isn't that done to keep message length to 160 characters?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

There isn't a real economy of wording and spacing to suggest they need the savings.

What self respecting youth o today would use such a garbage carrier with its 100 text teir and low teir data?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm starting to think their automated texts aren't actually written by a teenager.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
At least Virgin try to keep it hip and cool by using correct spelling when appealing to the teenagers in all of us

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Migishu posted:

Any sort of connection/disconnection should be handled by an on-site tech. Maybe they mean Teksavvy doesn't do on-site stuff? Because they sure as hell need $robelus to come down and connect you to the DSLAM

Yeah, so they took out internet service for a client of mine for an entire day by invalidating their DSL credentials without telling anyone, and then specifically saying they had not been change when asked.

They also said no tech would be dispatched for the upgrade, we were responsible for the customer endpoint. Then a tech showed up to do the upgrade.

This is why I don't recommend Teksavvy any more.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Bell guy came today, took about 3 hours start to finish. I'm liking this insanity:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

Bell guy came today, took about 3 hours start to finish. I'm liking this insanity:

Do a speedtest.net using a beanfield server. You'll get more consistent results, because the dslreports one is level3 in LA or something.

Still waiting on my building to do the fibre install. I need to ask if there is a new date yet.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

I don't know if this helps but I used to do Bell DSL installs with my dad. He was a "third party contractor" and didn't know poo poo about DSL so he brought me along. I think this was about 10 years or more ago though.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

They may have been thinking of cable internet activation? We just go in check signal make a jumper + pad rf if needed and peace out because those calls don't pay well and 90% of the time the connection will be hot since we spent the last year pulling filters after killing analogue cable tv and don't do disconnects anymore.

I have the opposite problem where CiK and a couple other TPIAs will tell people that we will connect their modem/router/voip/android/iptv box etc (as per Rogers instructions, we don't touch their equipment).
CiK is the worst offender though and their reps target those who do not have a good grasp of english saying we will do a full install as selling point.

8ender posted:

I don't know if this helps but I used to do Bell DSL installs with my dad. He was a "third party contractor" and didn't know poo poo about DSL so he brought me along. I think this was about 10 years or more ago though.

Did he work for Bell Technical Solutions? They have it pretty rough from what I understand.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sixfools posted:

Did he work for Bell Technical Solutions? They have it pretty rough from what I understand.

I'm not sure. It was a pretty hilarious operation from our point of view. My dad would get a docket of installs in some random town and then pick up a bag of equipment. We'd hit the road in the finest 91' Chevy Beretta GM ever made and spend the afternoon getting multiple grandmas online.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

8ender posted:

We'd hit the road in the finest 91' Chevy Beretta GM ever made

Aww yeah, Chevy Beretta. First car I ever owned :hellyeah:

On-topic: augh Telus please come literally half a kilometre west and lay some fibre.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I am moving to a place at the end of the month that supposedly has Telus FTTH
https://fibre.telus.com/coaldale/

I'm going to call them and move our service (yes, we still have a landline) and see what they can offer us for internet. Are they going to try to force me to bundle in TV or something in order to get fibre? We have no problem keeping our landline (for now) and it seems like the 3rd parties don't have access to Fibre yet, which is too bad because once I got through the setup pains, I have had pretty much no problems with Teksavvy.
e: FWIW, I called them and they said I can get 150/150 without TV so that's a bonus. It was almost too smooth, I expect a hitch on install day at the very least.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 11, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I called Start.ca at 14:45 to upgrade to the 250Mbps package (am now on the 100Mbps package). They said it'll take up to 48 hours to make the change. At 15:05 my internet goes down. I power-cycle the modem and do a speed test:

:gizz:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

For those who haven't seen it, zero rating's been ruled a no-no by the CRTC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/crtc-zero-rating-differential-pricing-decision-videtron-net-neutrality-2017-1.4077717

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

ArcaneMan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 13, 2019

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

ArcaneMan posted:

Moving to Saskatoon, are there any Teksavvyish alternatives to Shaw or Sasktel and if not which one should I choose?

http://www.myaccess.ca/

But they were only okay. Beats getting Shaw tho.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Moving to Coquitlam, BC, to a house that doesn't have FTTH or FTTN as far as I can see. Best options I can get are 50/10 on DSL, and 60/6 on cable, or something along those lines.

I know I want to go with a reseller like Lightspeed or Teksavvy, but I'm not sure if I want to go with DSL or Cable, necessarily. Cable ekes out with higher downstream, and less upstream, and might come out cheaper. DSL at 50/10 is a bit more expensive with the dry loop.

I'm not just trying to base my choice on a $/Mbit thing, it's more about reliability and upgradability. Lightpseed also offers a 100/20 package by what I suspect is an MLPPP thing. Cost is not really a problem either.

Any suggestions, or perhaps experiences on the quality of the networking? Broadband Forum/Reddit searches don't generally come up with much, which is probably a good thing.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Kachunkachunk posted:

Moving to Coquitlam, BC, to a house that doesn't have FTTH or FTTN as far as I can see. Best options I can get are 50/10 on DSL, and 60/6 on cable, or something along those lines.

I know I want to go with a reseller like Lightspeed or Teksavvy, but I'm not sure if I want to go with DSL or Cable, necessarily. Cable ekes out with higher downstream, and less upstream, and might come out cheaper. DSL at 50/10 is a bit more expensive with the dry loop.

I'm not just trying to base my choice on a $/Mbit thing, it's more about reliability and upgradability. Lightpseed also offers a 100/20 package by what I suspect is an MLPPP thing. Cost is not really a problem either.

Any suggestions, or perhaps experiences on the quality of the networking? Broadband Forum/Reddit searches don't generally come up with much, which is probably a good thing.

I live in Coquitlam. Shaw is more location dependant it seems. The last house we were in was fine. We moved to a new neighbourhood a couple of years ago and Shaw's speeds were terrible at peak times... Like 5mbps bad. It took them months to get around to upgrading the area.

I've never had any problems with telus in the last couple of years really, they are just more expensive/slower unless the Shaw area is congested.

The resellers are ok I guess. As long as you don't have any problems. Any issues with the lines means they have to rely on the unmotivated owner to fix. Unless that's finally changed?

Anyway, overall I think internet is in decent shape in Coquitlam. I think DSL is maybe a little more reliable and cable faster.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Coquitlam (west seyeeede) here too, I used to have the Telus 50 and switched to Shaw 150 and no complaints for either, both got advertised speeds and I have never had any congestion issues with the Shaw.

It's mostly single family homes with quite a few older folks around here so that probably helps keep the usage low.

Now if only Fido coverage didn't kind of suck in my area, especially when going along side streets between Como Lake and Austin, but that's a different thread ;)

E: oh also a big plus for Shaw is their wifi hotspots, I get zero reception in the poirer community centre with my Fido but with the wifi I can still make calls etc. Very handy.

priznat fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 30, 2017

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Aww yiss, Goon presence in Coquitlam++

I'll be moving more specifically to a house just a bit south of David Ave., and Pipeline Road. I think it's all going to be older infrastructure so that's why I am concerned about congestion on cable, and line quality for DSL.

Are either of you somewhat close, or have experiences in those areas?

I emailed Lightspeed to inquire (say, about the bonded 100/20) but they don't have much in the way of opinions.
They also claim I can get 150Mbit cable service to the place, so that'd be rad. Teksavvy interestingly doesn't offer the option at all.

And indeed, I've heard of the incumbents being total shitheads when it comes to fixing reseller line/area issues. : /

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pipeline and David is an older area, but it's surrounded by newer construction as the area went through a large expansion over the last decade. I don't have any experience with the speeds in the area, but I'd bet all the feeder lines into the area are quite new.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If your building has Fibrestream switch right goddamn now. I got my 500/500 service this weekend. When Bell tried to buy me back with 1000/100 service and free TV for $100/mo I told them to get lost. The Fibrestream tech even briefly tried to sync me at 1000/1000 before realizing my building couldn't handle it.

Chris Knight posted:

Just prepare for some disappointment when not even Steam or your Usenet provider can feed that downstream reliably.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 3, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Steam has no problem hitting 80+MB/s :)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fo rills. Steam is the one thing that reliably makes use of my Rogers Gigabit connection. I got the FO4 HD texture pack in under 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, my rogers bill went up this month. Wonder what their wheel of "why we need to increase the price" landed on this time. Guess it's time to consider going with start.ca or something, or at least use their prices to see if I can get rogers to lower the bill.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 8, 2017