Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
smothering a burger in butter doesn't sound very good to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's how it was originally done, with a fried egg ontop.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Jose posted:

smothering a burger in butter doesn't sound very good to me

yeah, and how it's done in that video is insane. It's probably two tablespoons of butter per burg.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

It's probably more like 1/4 cup.

Should any of you make the trip, Sprecher Brewery is literally a block or 2 down the street and you can grab a tour after lunch.

And if you have the time to grab dinner and drinks, the Safehouse is also a Bucket lister even if you don't have a bucket list. Try to go when the Magic Bar is open.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Went into the city to watch the football at a burger bar/pub and couldn't avoid getting the mac and cheese burger. It was a lot better than I expected (although I was drinking 12% IPA at that point which may have coloured my opinion somewhat).

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Thats a nice looking mac and cheese burger. Our local King of the mac and cheese burger doesn't use traditional Mac n Cheese, they do this souffle like thing that is more cheese than mac, and cook it on the flattop so it is crispy on the top and bottom. It looks like this.

And then you put it on a burger, with fried onion straws and meaty bacon, along with absolutely perfect french fries to get this

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

That's a delicious looking heart attack.

I want one.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Smashed some burgs. It was snowing and miserable and they are a little messy, but tasty nonetheless. Baking Steel and Kenji spergtula is a winning combo.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Bob_McBob posted:

Smashed some burgs. It was snowing and miserable and they are a little messy, but tasty nonetheless. Baking Steel and Kenji spergtula is a winning combo.

Those are some ideal looking burgs. Following the spergtula links made me remember there's a shake shack opening in Dallas this year, which means the lines may die down to reasonable levels in 2018.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bob_McBob posted:

I have never baked a pizza on my steel but drat putting it in the grill for burgers is a really good idea.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh drat burger thread you delivered this morning. Looks like a trip to Five Guys awaits me today.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Pubic Lair posted:

It's probably more like 1/4 cup.

Should any of you make the trip, Sprecher Brewery is literally a block or 2 down the street and you can grab a tour after lunch.

And if you have the time to grab dinner and drinks, the Safehouse is also a Bucket lister even if you don't have a bucket list. Try to go when the Magic Bar is open.

Ugh, Solly's, no. A pool of butter on your plate is really just going overboard. You can request easy butter or no butter, at least. But frankly the burgers themselves just aren't that great anyway. Plus the "stewed onions" are about as meh as you'd expect them to be. I'd much rather have a burger from Kopp's a few blocks north (which are also butter burgers, but they only use about a tablespoon at most per burg), plus then you can get custard.

Sprecher is ok, but the sodas are better than the beers.

Also Safehouse has been remodeled because it was bought by a corporate powerhouse, Marcus. I haven't been since reopen, but it looks like it's lost a lot of its charm.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All a burger needs is burger

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Also Safehouse has been remodeled because it was bought by a corporate powerhouse, Marcus. I haven't been since reopen, but it looks like it's lost a lot of its charm.

I'm actually closer to Chicago so I haven't been in a few years, Bummer, though according to recent articles they are talking about opening more locations around the US which if done correctly would be neat. Seeing as it's a corp they will probably be Bubba Gump/Dicks last resort/Hardrock clones with poo poo on the walls.

I mention Solly's because it was in the documentary. Honestly you could make a Milwaukee Burger Documentary or entire series there are so many noteworthy places.

Off the top of my head

Milwaukee
Solly's
Sobelmans
AJ Bombers
Kopps

Racine has
Ron's Place
Captain Mikes
The Spot

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Pubic Lair posted:

I'm actually closer to Chicago so I haven't been in a few years, Bummer, though according to recent articles they are talking about opening more locations around the US which if done correctly would be neat. Seeing as it's a corp they will probably be Bubba Gump/Dicks last resort/Hardrock clones with poo poo on the walls.

I mention Solly's because it was in the documentary. Honestly you could make a Milwaukee Burger Documentary or entire series there are so many noteworthy places.

Off the top of my head

Milwaukee
Solly's
Sobelmans
AJ Bombers
Kopps

Racine has
Ron's Place
Captain Mikes
The Spot

Sobelman's overpriced, overhyped poo poo. Solly's at least has some history to back up the crazy gimmick thing. Current top MKE burgs (in no particular order): Oscar's pub and grill, Kopp's, Mazo's, Dr. Dawg, Nite Owl, North Ave Grill

Only been to The Spot in the Racine list, but it was tasty. Better than that other drive in with velveeta...I forget its name

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
More smashburgs tonight, with better buns. I forgot it's winter here and didn't let the last batch rise long enough.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Oh drat burger thread you delivered this morning. Looks like a trip to Five Guys awaits me today.

I did that today. Double cheese with lettuce, pickles, raw onions, mayo, mustard.

I would have liked the cheese a bit meltier, but that was a dang good burg.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Bob_McBob posted:

More smashburgs tonight, with better buns. I forgot it's winter here and didn't let the last batch rise long enough.

Bravo!

[edit] To get that crust, do you oil the steel or does the meat just go straight on?

Esposito fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 12, 2016

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Esposito posted:

Bravo!

[edit] To get that crust, do you oil the steel or does the meat just go straight on?

I just smash them straight on the hot Baking Steel without any oil. Same as I would do in a pan, but without the mess, lingering smell, and fiddling with the fire alarm. I get a much better release on the Baking Steel than I've been able to achieve with a pan, and I can do 6-8 patties at once. I follow the normal cleaning instructions for the Baking Steel and haven't reseasoned it yet after a year of use.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Like the look of these. Good work!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So has the fry vs grill thing been done to death, or at all? Because I think those experts proclaiming frying as the king are wrong. Grilling a burger over charcoal just tastes better. I don't care what fancy hipster physics they got supporting them,.

Oh and we're getting a burger king nearby me. BK never really got established in Finland for some reason. Instead we got the "worse than mc donalds" domestic hesburger chain.

Apparently this new BK place will serve beer with the food too.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
A grill won't heat the burg evenly and tends to get charcoal on it, while a frying pan is a lot more reliable. Also, depending on how you make your burg it might fall apart through the grille, which is a travesty.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using a grill, but frying is more advantageous.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

They both have their merits and I like them both, but I just love burgers. This baking steel on a charcoal grill seems like the best of both worlds.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Gamerofthegame posted:

A grill won't heat the burg evenly and tends to get charcoal on it, while a frying pan is a lot more reliable. Also, depending on how you make your burg it might fall apart through the grille, which is a travesty.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using a grill, but frying is more advantageous.

A metal plate over charcoal gets you flavour from the swirling smoke, and you can still smash/keep the burger intact.

Alternatively you can "smoke" a burger at lower temps directly over the grill (but not as low as brisket/pork butt), it'll not fall apart, take about 20-30 mins to cook and not require a hot plate.

Cooking indoors on a metal pan is the most convenient. Depends on your tastes, if you want to smoke it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like cooking on a griddle/cast iron because you can get a crust that way that isn't possible on a grill. I may try the baking steel on the grill method next time. I only do smash burgers these days, but that may be a good way to get a little smoke flavor.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jamsta posted:

A metal plate over charcoal gets you flavour from the swirling smoke, and you can still smash/keep the burger intact.

Alternatively you can "smoke" a burger at lower temps directly over the grill (but not as low as brisket/pork butt), it'll not fall apart, take about 20-30 mins to cook and not require a hot plate.

Cooking indoors on a metal pan is the most convenient. Depends on your tastes, if you want to smoke it.

If you're gonna fire the smoker up, you might as well do it right. Smoke your ground beef for a couple hours right before you take your pork butt off.
Grill or smash the beef and top with pork butt.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I tried to eliminate all the smoke inside and make smashed burgers with my cast iron on a gas grill, didn't get hot enough (yes I left it on there for a while before adding one burger at a time).

I have accepted indoor smoke.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

I tried to eliminate all the smoke inside and make smashed burgers with my cast iron on a gas grill, didn't get hot enough (yes I left it on there for a while before adding one burger at a time).

I have accepted indoor smoke.

I have a huge cast iron skillet that I use over a propane burner for a turkey fryer. It's also what I use for stir fry. Keeps the smoke outside. and gives me the heat that not even my big burner on my gas range can do. The propane burners are pretty cheap, too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I have a huge cast iron skillet that I use over a propane burner for a turkey fryer. It's also what I use for stir fry. Keeps the smoke outside. and gives me the heat that not even my big burner on my gas range can do. The propane burners are pretty cheap, too.

This is the correct answer. I've been reduced to smashing burgers in my garage in basically the same manner after I set off the smoke alarm one too many times.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I picked up a pair of heat proof gloves after the last round of no more knuckle hair stir fry.

Smashburgs are next with cast iron skillet.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have any of those fancy tools, I just turn off my drat smoke alarm and go hog wild on the stove :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I just inhale all that delicious burg smoke.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Burgs from the last few days.

Smash burg on the cast iron

Burg off the grill with badly sliced onion and avocado

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ogopogo posted:

Burgs from the last few days.

Smash burg on the cast iron

Burg off the grill with badly sliced onion and avocado

Looks tasty but that first burg looks way too thick to be a proper smash burg. How big was the meat ball you used? 3oz is about the biggest you'd want.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Looks tasty but that first burg looks way too thick to be a proper smash burg. How big was the meat ball you used? 3oz is about the biggest you'd want.

Right - maybe not the puritan "smash burg" but a burger I smashed the poo poo out to make a nice crust. I need more meat than 3oz.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ogopogo posted:

Right - maybe not the puritan "smash burg" but a burger I smashed the poo poo out to make a nice crust. I need more meat than 3oz.

That's why every smash burg needs to be a double!! Double the crusty goodness too.

(That first pic still looks amazing though, just the platonic ideal simple good looking burg)

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I just ordered this Nexus Live Case from google with a burger photo I've posted here earlier.

Man, I'm going to be some sort of badass when I slap my phone down on the table during my next meeting.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd eat that phone.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

That's why every smash burg needs to be a double!! Double the crusty goodness too.

This is a very good point. I always forget the double burg. Meat sweats haunt me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

beerinator posted:

I just ordered this Nexus Live Case from google with a burger photo I've posted here earlier.

Man, I'm going to be some sort of badass when I slap my phone down on the table during my next meeting.

You're cool.

• Locked thread