Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

sebmojo posted:

There's a flash fiction thread in my sub that has been running for 6 years and produced 7 million words of fiction, and the one core bedrock rule is that you never respond to critique, no matter how much you want to. It's amazing.

There need to be "write drunk" threads like this matched with "edit sober" threads where you can only say what's wrong with the writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0OaP_grkA0

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just got a Vive VR headset and am seriously tempted to play mod Skyrim again but in VR this time. Are there any special hoops I should jump through or OP mods to avoid? Mod Organizer 2 says it supports Skyrim VR and doesn't even need a plugin anymore it looks like. It looks like it doesn't even have any special install instructions?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
AFAIK Skyrim VR is based on a slightly older build of Skyrim SE. You need a different version of SKSE64 and any plugin-based mod you use but otherwise SSE mods play just fine in SVR, no conversion needed.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm playing on Skyrim VR, and most SE mods work. Bear in mind that anything that requires the custom animation back end won't, even though those have VR versions. Or maybe you can get them to work and then tell me how the hell you did it, because I wanna dismember people with lasers I shoot out of my goddamn hands.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Protip: use the point and teleport movement system for Skyrim VR. I don’t usually get sick in VR games but something about Skyrim’s default movement made me want to puke after less than 10 minutes of playing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

kedo posted:

Protip: use the point and teleport movement system for Skyrim VR. I don’t usually get sick in VR games but something about Skyrim’s default movement made me want to puke after less than 10 minutes of playing.

Counterpoint: I do fine with smooth move at max speed, just make sure your rig can maintain 90fps because the frame dips will gently caress that up. Might require skipping some of the graphics stuff, I couldn't get any ENB stuff working without it killing the framerate, but I've got plenty of other texture packs and fancy weather mods and crap running.

Avoid jumping off high up things, though. Falling always makes my stomach lurch, your mileage may vary but all of my friends had the same experience when they tried it.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

The Bee posted:

I notice the OP hasn't been updated in over a year now. Is there a good starting database to work off of, especially with the special edition being more robust than it was prior?

TBH. This thread is best for discussion, not for solid advice. /r/skyrimmods is the best place to go for updated info and constant release of mods and commentary. Besides that one weekly post we just saw it is mostly cool.

Also lol when people make terrifying names for genuinely good mods:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22177?tab=posts

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 28, 2018

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Decided to try and play the SE after following along with Melth's LP. Spent 8 hours today following the modding guide and figuring out how to use mod manager to get everything working. Just want to thank the OP author because it was really helpful, especially linking the STEP guide.

DuchessOfKvetch
Dec 20, 2018

Soylent Pudding posted:

Decided to try and play the SE after following along with Melth's LP. Spent 8 hours today following the modding guide and figuring out how to use mod manager to get everything working. Just want to thank the OP author because it was really helpful, especially linking the STEP guide.

The STEP guide's being rewritten for Special Edition currently, but who knows when that will be finished. Updates and internal conflict resolution between mod authors tends to move about at the speed of Congress if every month was December.

Tuco’s Guide is currently the most regularly updated for SE: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10694

Still way too long for most people's needs starting out, though.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Techangel is the guy behind MO 2 guide for SSE. He is releasing a huge update along with STEP SSE in a couple of months according to DM I had with him. Which I think is really good timing since STEP was not really good until late 2014 so this fits the same timeframe. Personally, for me, I just use SA for Morrowind modding advice since Morrowind modding has a very small scene outside of the super dedicated mod authors. Then I use this because using multiple sources for mods is the only way to not miss out on good mods and get rid of the poo poo ones.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sse is so stupidly stable you can just go to the bethesda modding thing in game and click yes on a few dozen of the highest rated ones and it will probably all be fine.

I mean it's objectively not a great idea but for me it worked perfectly and was totally fine over 80 hours or so.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FL3uj28k5w

Looks okay for the most part, but they better have some bonelords and bonewalkers in the ancestral tombs otherwise it' s not really Morrowind.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FL3uj28k5w

Looks okay for the most part, but they better have some bonelords and bonewalkers in the ancestral tombs otherwise it' s not really Morrowind.

I forget, was Morrowind still under Black Marsh control at the time of Skyrim?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

I forget, was Morrowind still under Black Marsh control at the time of Skyrim?
No. The Argonians didn't really invade to conquer, but to gently caress the Dunmer's poo poo up. There are some bits of south Morrowind that the Argonians hold, but it's probably more accurate to say that those places are no-man's-lands with wandering bands of angry lizards that the Dunmer haven't managed to push out.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Realtalk, I am amazed Beyond Skyrim is a thing that's still happening. But I'm also glad, especially since it seems like the two important parts (Cyrodil and Morrowind) are the ones with pre-release previews.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bee posted:

Realtalk, I am amazed Beyond Skyrim is a thing that's still happening. But I'm also glad, especially since it seems like the two important parts (Cyrodil and Morrowind) are the ones with pre-release previews.

I keep checking in on their site like once a month and they seem to be making steady progress. Illiac Bay seems like it's coming along fairly well too. Hopefully at least one BS mod will be out in full by the end of 2019. Because Bruma is one hell of a tease compared to the total scope of the project.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

nine-gear crow posted:

I keep checking in on their site like once a month and they seem to be making steady progress. Illiac Bay seems like it's coming along fairly well too. Hopefully at least one BS mod will be out in full by the end of 2019. Because Bruma is one hell of a tease compared to the total scope of the project.

That's the weirdest thing. A mod of this scope seems like it should be, like. A back of the napkin scrawling at best. Instead we have steady progress, active updates, consistent releases and preview mods. I don't even think we've seen a single self-destructive rant yet!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bee posted:

That's the weirdest thing. A mod of this scope seems like it should be, like. A back of the napkin scrawling at best. Instead we have steady progress, active updates, consistent releases and preview mods. I don't even think we've seen a single self-destructive rant yet!

I think one of the projects (Valenwood, iirc) collapsed and it was just a matter of "It didn't work out with the team we'd put together, when/if we find another team who can work on it, we'll let you know."

Really, I just want them to release the HD texture pack for Bruma for Oldrim. The SSE version has the HD textures, but vanilla doesn't so it looks really out of place if you're playing with a bunch of HD mods like Rustic, Noble Skyrim and Book of Silence.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So I have a kind of vague question about mods for SE - I've got one mod called passive weapon enchantment recharging, basically my enchants recharge over time without needing soul gems. I've noticed anytime there's an update, the mod stops working and I have to go download the updated mod. That's fine, it's working now.

But what about my other mods? For instance I have the insanity sorrows weapon pack....but it's most up to date file is from 2017. Are those weapons still in the game? Is it just some select few mods that break as soon as there is an update? I use mod manager and it says they are all working fine, but it also said that about the passive weapon recharging mod and it took me noticing that it wasn't working in game to figure out something was wrong.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I think one of the projects (Valenwood, iirc) collapsed and it was just a matter of "It didn't work out with the team we'd put together, when/if we find another team who can work on it, we'll let you know."

Really, I just want them to release the HD texture pack for Bruma for Oldrim. The SSE version has the HD textures, but vanilla doesn't so it looks really out of place if you're playing with a bunch of HD mods like Rustic, Noble Skyrim and Book of Silence.

Download SE version, extract textures, use with Oldrim. Or just play SE since it's better. :colbert:

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

So I have a kind of vague question about mods for SE - I've got one mod called passive weapon enchantment recharging, basically my enchants recharge over time without needing soul gems. I've noticed anytime there's an update, the mod stops working and I have to go download the updated mod. That's fine, it's working now.

But what about my other mods? For instance I have the insanity sorrows weapon pack....but it's most up to date file is from 2017. Are those weapons still in the game? Is it just some select few mods that break as soon as there is an update? I use mod manager and it says they are all working fine, but it also said that about the passive weapon recharging mod and it took me noticing that it wasn't working in game to figure out something was wrong.

Sounds like they have some really aggressive version checking.

Also LOL if you let Skyrim update.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Passive Weapon Enchantment Recharging uses a SKSE plugin. Unlike a script that uses SKSE (which will work for any SKSE version that has the functionality it needs), .dll plugins will only work for a specific release version of SKSE.
So when Skryim updates, SKSE will need an update. And when SKSE updates, PWER's plugin will need an update. It's just how that works.
Obviously this can become problem because Bethesda is loving stupid and thought lots of pointless micro-updates is something the game needed. At some point the mod author will move on and abandon the mod. If you have a mod setup that you like which will break if the game's executable is updated: Avoid updating and/or keep a back up of the game's install folder so you can easily roll back.

A basic weapon pack that just adds some weapons shouldn't break with a patch. But mod manager tools cannot tell you anything about whether the mod actually works. All they can indicate if the mod is installed. If for example the pack adds its weapons via a leveled list and you have another mod that overrides that list with its own edits, your mod manager will tell you everything is working while you won't see those weapon ingame.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Download SE version, extract textures, use with Oldrim. Or just play SE since it's better. :colbert:

Sounds like they have some really aggressive version checking.

Also LOL if you let Skyrim update.

They’re locked up in .bsa’s, and trying to Frankenstein them in manually is an amazing disaster.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

They’re locked up in .bsa’s, and trying to Frankenstein them in manually is an amazing disaster.
Loose files override .bsa. So brab an archive extractor. Unpack the SE version's archive. Delete everything that isn't the texture folder. Put that texture folder as its own separate mod in Mod Organizer and load it below Bruma in the install order.
Not sure how that can turn into a disaster. :shrug:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Raygereio posted:

Loose files override .bsa. So brab an archive extractor. Unpack the SE version's archive. Delete everything that isn't the texture folder. Put that texture folder as its own separate mod in Mod Organizer and load it below Bruma in the install order.
Not sure how that can turn into a disaster. :shrug:

But it's haaaa~aaard!

DuchessOfKvetch
Dec 20, 2018
Meanwhile, there's still a bunch of Legacy Edition mods that never got ported to SE. Now, it's absolutely NOT the mod author's job or personal responsibility to do this.

But at the same time, no one is technically allowed to repackage the content and upload it to Nexus for Skyrim SE, as it's still considered republishing and requires the permission of the original author. There seem to be a number of mods that get ported over anyway because either no one cares too much about the alleged "offense", or the importer/converter got permission behind the scenes to do so.

So we still have a number of popular legacy mods that require a series of conversion steps, using graphic tools and the Creation Kit, to convert to their 64 bit counterparts. Some are simple matters, others rather complex (especially with DX9 3d objects that are in the wrong format). Other mods have bugs that require explicit documented steps to be performed. Everyone who uses these mods has to do the same work over and over again, because there's only the one copy from 2015 sitting around.

People keep begging the original authors to at least allow *someone else* to do the work (conversion and/or bugfixing), and note this publicly. But their anger at Bethesda (sometimes specifically because of Fallout 76, but usually due to past paid mod drama), or the modding community at large, prevents them from doing anything besides posting the occasional rant and/or shutting off the comments section (so we can't even leave up helpful instructions for others).

Nexus even has a "CareTaker" account that you can reassign general upload ownership to, if you're too busy and have moved on.

I guess I don't quite 'get it' since your name is still forever attached to your creations whether you continue to maintain them or hand it off. So why leave your mods up, but keep them in perpetual stasis or full of bugs?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Speaking of things that are hard I just started downloading Lexy's Step mod list and boy am I not looking forward to having to learn how to unpack and mash these things together at some point in order to make space in the mod list. It's also going to take me a week alone just to download all the mods. I'm doing then a chunk at a time but I really wish for things like this they'd come up with some sort of system that queued lists so while you still have to download each mod on its own, it gave the requisite clicks and hits for the respective pages, and only required me clicking on button.

Like I get why nod compilations aren't a thing but there's still some ways they could make this less of a chore to get everything on someone's list.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hoping someone can help me with what should be a simple issue. Followed most of Tucos guide, and everything runs pretty smoothly for the most part. BUT for whatever loving reason I cannot get the game to display in 1440p. I have used bethini, I have edited skyrimprefs.ini manually, I have edited the one in my games AND the one in the Skyrim directory. I am running in bordered windowless and my native resolution. But every time the game boots up, it's stuck at 1080p and a blurry mess on my 1440p display.

Googling has gotten me people saying "just use bethini" which apparently has worked for some people, but not me. Anyone else run into this issue?

e: editing in case someone else has this issue, it needed a really weird workaround. I found that if I started running Skyrim through the normal launcher it would use the correct resolution, but launching via skse/mod organizer would cause it to revert to 1080p, regardless of my skyrimprefs.ini file. What I had to do was use the drop down menu in mo to select Skyrim special edition launcher, change the resolution there then switch back to skse and launch. Viola, proper resolution finally.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 3, 2019

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Which is the second best mod manager for SkyrimSE? Mod Organizer 2 shits the bed when trying to run both LOOT and Wrye Bash, and I've been googling fruitlessly for a week before giving up.

Planning on running a lightly modded game and I'm considering just dumping everything into Data since I can actually get LOOT to run now.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I thought MO2 had LOOT built and and ran it automatically? Or at least some sort of sorting system.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Krowley posted:

Which is the second best mod manager for SkyrimSE? Mod Organizer 2 shits the bed when trying to run both LOOT and Wrye Bash, and I've been googling fruitlessly for a week before giving up.
Planning on running a lightly modded game and I'm considering just dumping everything into Data since I can actually get LOOT to run now.
Don't use LOOT. :colbert: It doesn't do anything that you can't do better yourself.

The only two mod managers for SE are MO2 and Vortex. I haven't touched Vortex, but from what I've heard it works well enough.
If you're only planning on using a few mods you can consider just dumping them in Data and use the ingame plugin-manager. As long it's just a few plugins you can get away with doing that without wanting to gouge your eyeballs out because of the bad UI. Just be aware that the messy-Data folder can become a huge pain: there's a reason why we all fell on our knees and thanked god when Mod Organizer came along.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I am going full poopsock tedium and trying out this new Spell Research mod. Basically, combined with a mod to remove all spell tomes, you have to study the few spells you know and learn about the various keywords in them. Then you can create crafting components [thesis] and try to craft new spells. There also seems to be two alternative methods involving alchemy and looting magical artifacts to examine. Just getting started so we'll see how it goes. One interesting side effect is that finding scrolls and magic staves now feels like a real jackpot since they are allowing me to use spells I don't otherwise have access to for some time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Beyond Skyrim will be ready in time for TES VIII.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Entropic posted:

Beyond Skyrim will be ready in time for TES VIII.

And will be more stable than whatever VIII winds up being.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You will play Commander Redguard trying to unite three provinces against the dastardly thalmor. You can have whatever secondary weapon you want but can always fall back on the iconic franchise spirit sword that makes shout noises. You are free to shape your Commander by joining one of many in game guilds, so long as your choice is the GHOSTS, a secret organisation trying to restore the empire spoilers its the blades again

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Strategic Tea posted:

You will play Commander Redguard trying to unite three provinces against the dastardly thalmor. You can have whatever secondary weapon you want but can always fall back on the iconic franchise spirit sword that makes shout noises. You are free to shape your Commander by joining one of many in game guilds, so long as your choice is the GHOSTS, a secret organisation trying to restore the empire spoilers its the blades again

How many ~septims~ do I need for the Oblivion Blades cosmetic set?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DrNutt posted:

e: editing in case someone else has this issue, it needed a really weird workaround. I found that if I started running Skyrim through the normal launcher it would use the correct resolution, but launching via skse/mod organizer would cause it to revert to 1080p, regardless of my skyrimprefs.ini file. What I had to do was use the drop down menu in mo to select Skyrim special edition launcher, change the resolution there then switch back to skse and launch. Viola, proper resolution finally.

Im going to have to snark here: You see that part in the op where it says run all your modding tools through MO if you're using MO? That includes BethINI and the Skyrim Launcher for making INI edits. Run EVERYTHING through MO.

What I'm saying is that is not a weird issue, it's working exactly as it's supposed to and is mentioned - repeatedly - in the OP.

I'm ignorant and apparently you shouldn't run BethINI through MO. MO does have it's own INI files and you have to edit those to get them to stick in Skyrim.

Krowley posted:

Wrye Bash (it's what I used before MO finally got SE support.)

Raygereio posted:

Don't use LOOT. :colbert: It doesn't do anything that you can't do better yourself.

LOOT is fine for the average user. Fight me. :colbert:

DuchessOfKvetch posted:

I guess I don't quite 'get it' since your name is still forever attached to your creations whether you continue to maintain them or hand it off. So why leave your mods up, but keep them in perpetual stasis or full of bugs?

Keep in mind, for a lot of modders, their mods are the only thing they have going for them in their lives. I'm not joking when I say that one of the major forces in the Nexus community is mental illness.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 4, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You actually should not run BethINI through Mod Organizer. It's the one exception.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

docbeard posted:

You actually should not run BethINI through Mod Organizer. It's the one exception.

Seriously? I never used it. I do all my ini edits by hand. I take it back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuchessOfKvetch
Dec 20, 2018

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I thought MO2 had LOOT built and and ran it automatically? Or at least some sort of sorting system.

You may be thinking of Vortex, which has LOOT integrated into it.

And for the guy having issues with MO2...

I believe that both Vortex's LOOT, as well as the external LOOT app, are really just UI tools that update these 2 textfiles called plugins.txt and loadorder.txt, that are used by the Skyrim engine upon launch, in the same way that BethINI is providing a user friendly interface for Skyrim's config files.

On my setup, they're in the (user)\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition\ folder, but people using the "portable" install mode of MO2 will have things more centralized, I think in MO2's mod storage folder.

Trouble is, our current mod managers both do some voodoo on the backend to populate Skyrim's Data folder (they're not REALLY writing to it, they using hardlinks/symlinks). And they also update those 2 text files for the mod list/load order. So stuff gets out of sync now and again, due to caching/Windows UAT locks/your hard drive sucking, and it can cause the poo poo-the-bed symptoms you see with regard to LOOT.

I fairly regularly shut down my apps and manually check those files to make sure they're doing what I want. When it gets weird, 9/10 it's because the mod manager's expectations don't match what's in those 2 files.