Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just tell the Soul Master to gently caress off for a while and wander somewhere else. The game's big and non-linear enough that there's always something interesting wherever you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Once I learned how to exploit the huge window he leaves open for you to heal during phase 1 I stopped having issues with Soul Master/Tyrant.

When he does the 'summon orbs that circle him and fly across the screen' move you run away from him until you hit the wall, do a short hop over the one orb in your path and then you're free to heal 2-3 times with no risk. If you weren't doing it before this will give you far more health to play with.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Waltzing Along posted:

Not a bad idea. How many of those ores are there available at this point? I guess I can farm up a ton of $$$ again. Sigh. That's the worst part. I wanted to buy the key and the lamp.

I died to him a few times and the shade always spawns in the hallway outside his room IIRC. You can go retrieve your cash and get right back out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kassad posted:

I died to him a few times and the shade always spawns in the hallway outside his room IIRC. You can go retrieve your cash and get right back out.

Yeah, that would be nice if I didn't get ambushed by the other dudes that throw orbs while going there. Or the time I missed a jump and fell and had to deal with two at once. I can get to the shade w/ no problem now. But at first...not so much. Clinging to my $80 or so now. Hooray!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Waltzing Along posted:

Not a bad idea. How many of those ores are there available at this point? I guess I can farm up a ton of $$$ again. Sigh. That's the worst part. I wanted to buy the key and the lamp.

Soul Master is technically optional, so go hog wild exploring the rest of the game if you're burnt out on a boss.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Soul Master was an amazing and terrible fight when I stumbled on them. My hands were sweaty when I finally got them. That corpse run. :ohdear:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Soul Master is the second most cinematic fight in the game, after Mantis Lords, which is probably my favorite boss fight of all time, at least in 2D

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, Mantis Lords is amazing. It's one of the easier boss fights, but it's so fun to play through, and you feel badass when you nail it the first time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mantis Lords is my favourite fight in the base game. Including DLCs though...

[organ music intensifies]

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I looked up the pale ore locations and it doesn't look like I can actually get any right now. So I am stuck with my current nail.

My charms are the one that gives more soul, the one that lenghthens the nail and I think the one that reduces knockback.

I know I can get the soul master down. It's just practice. Avoiding dumb mistakes. It's the run back that ruins the fun, though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Waltzing Along posted:

I looked up the pale ore locations and it doesn't look like I can actually get any right now. So I am stuck with my current nail.

My charms are the one that gives more soul, the one that lenghthens the nail and I think the one that reduces knockback.

I know I can get the soul master down. It's just practice. Avoiding dumb mistakes. It's the run back that ruins the fun, though.

Have you already upgraded your nail? If not, the first upgrade doesn't require any ore.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SirSamVimes posted:

Have you already upgraded your nail? If not, the first upgrade doesn't require any ore.

Yes. I thought that was implied by stating I needed ore to do an upgrade. But yeah, I found the blacksmith pretty easily in my wandering.

I think I've done all I can in the city of tears at this point other than kill the boss. I've gained and lost a lot of $$$. And I'm not moving on till that fucker is dead dead dead.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Yes. I thought that was implied by stating I needed ore to do an upgrade. But yeah, I found the blacksmith pretty easily in my wandering.

I think I've done all I can in the city of tears at this point other than kill the boss. I've gained and lost a lot of $$$. And I'm not moving on till that fucker is dead dead dead.

I assume you're on top of this already, but for the record: are you using the shortcut through the lift shaft to shorten the boss runback between attempts?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

I assume you're on top of this already, but for the record: are you using the shortcut through the lift shaft to shorten the boss runback between attempts?

Yeah, I found that one. Wish I'd found it earlier. That ambush fight before the bench sucked.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I just had an awesome idea for Hollow Knight Silksong:

Bench Mimics

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, I found that one. Wish I'd found it earlier. That ambush fight before the bench sucked.

What parts of Soul Master are giving you the most trouble, then? Which attacks do you have a handle on, and which make you take damage?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

What parts of Soul Master are giving you the most trouble, then? Which attacks do you have a handle on, and which make you take damage?

Just getting consistent. I can handle all the attacks/dodges. It's just getting to the point where I survive through the mistakes. Of course the dive is the one that gets me the most because you have such a small window to move. The real problem is I can only do one or two attempts at a time because I do it once, run back, die again and say F this. Or I try once and say F it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Remember there is a shortcut right by the bench where the cartographer is that shaves a few seconds off of that corpse run.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hwurmp posted:

Bench Mimics

Delete this before Team Cherry sees it, you sick sick person

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

And I'm not moving on till that fucker is dead dead dead.

I’m furiously f5ing, waiting for the post we all know is coming

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OzFactor posted:

just saying that is a bit of a hint hehehe

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

OzFactor posted:

Thanks much for this post. It was very encouraging. So I went back and did it. I think I got him on the 4th or 5th try. By that point I wasn't making many mistakes. And because I had seen the strat for the final phase, that bit was easy.

Thanks so much.

E: I also made a change. I switched from the pro controller to the joy-cons in their cradle. The separated D pad made for fewer mistakes, as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

And because I had seen the strat for the final phase, that bit was easy.

:flaccid:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
:holy:

The final phase is really, really great and even better if you’ve been dying to him a lot. It’s very oh poo poo oh poo poo as he’s throwing everything at you at once and you realize that all that practice means that you can handle it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Bench Mimics

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finally had some fun. Got a new mask/hit point. And 2 more mask parts. Started exploring the mine, found a rest point but no map so hightailed it out and bought the key and light. Then did stone sanctuary which was a bit of a wet fart.

Need to find those other breakable floors. Don't remember where they all were. And then I guess go back to the mine. Or the fungus cave. I don't think I found that map, either.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I've got a design effortpost in me at some point about how well-made the enemies and bosses are as teaching tools.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sooooo is silksong ever coming out or what?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Frankston posted:

They're a 3 person team. Give them time. Hollow Knight went overschedule too but it was worth it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Frankston posted:

You can start asking if we are there yet in like 2021 okay

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no. where is it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Frankston posted:

It's gonna be a while, but it's gonna be worth it.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

jeeves posted:

You can start asking if we are there yet in like 2021 okay

It's on my steam wishlist so I am actively wishing for it

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If they improve off Hollow Knight I’m excited.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ll be happy with anything close

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

I won’t care if it plays exactly the same, cause Hollow Knight is the perfect game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Frankston posted:

Yes, team cherry has already given it out to everyone in this thread and we all love it because it's the best game ever but they told us to not give it to you because they don't like impatient people!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh cool. A bench. I need a rest. It's not activating, guess I'll hit the guy sitting on it.

FUUUUUUCK YOOOU GAAAAME!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I mean

You hit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What else was I supposed to do? I had seen other people sitting on benches earlier. Really tricky of the game to bait and switch you like that.

He didn't seem too hard, but I only had 2 health at the start of the fight so it didn't last long. I died while trying to heal for the 2nd time. But I didn't even get to his 2nd phase so whatever. I'll try again later.

Any advice on killing those crystal flies? Those things are bitches.