Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Danny has some of his Boston media goons reporting that they're waiting on hearing back from Pritchard but the current demand for PG is too unreasonable, which means the trade is still in the works and Danny's trying to drive down the price. All is right and normal in the world

Did they say what the demand was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sam Presti looks like what I believe Macklemore will look like in 20 years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dexo posted:

Like Dolan can't really be that dumb right?

Like I know he's not a great owner, but like he can't be dumb enough to being Isiah back especially after what happened when he tried to put him over the WNBA team.

I'm so so sorry.

Jim Dolan is a guy who no one has ever said "stop it, you're being an rear end in a top hat" to once in his entire life. Of course he's that dumb.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

pubic works project posted:

Did they say what the demand was?

Nets pick next year and the Lakers/Sac/Phi pick + players supposedly. I don't trust any reports though cuz it's all smokescreen bullshit

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

heeey he's only like six years younger
rude

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

mcmagic posted:

Jim Dolan is a guy who no one has ever said "stop it, you're being an rear end in a top hat" to once in his entire life. Of course he's that dumb.

A fan tried and got banned from MSG.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Why did everyone think they had to move Anderson? Nonguaranteed contracts are pretty easy to find.

I think most teams just wanted to avoid having to sell fans on Ryan Anderson being their big summer acquisition. They were probably thinking that going for Millsap or JJ and striking out would be preferable.

We didn't know Chris Paul would be an opt in, we thought they would have to clear more room to sign him as a free agent.

From what I remember Sacramento offered Anderson a similar deal last summer to what he got from the Rockets, so it's not like his contact is wildly over the market.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Nets pick next year and the Lakers/Sac/Phi pick + players supposedly. I don't trust any reports though cuz it's all smokescreen bullshit

Yeah cuz that sounds like a fair deal to me. Especially when you get Hayward and PG re-signs.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Coincidentally, 3 is also the number of places his leg fractured while doing so.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is free agency going to be weirdly disappointing? Realistically there isn't THAT much cap room distributed across the entire league. Either that or it's going to be really crazy with a ton of trades.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

leftist heap posted:

Is free agency going to be weirdly disappointing? Realistically there isn't THAT much cap room distributed across the entire league. Either that or it's going to be really crazy with a ton of trades.

Well there are a few big name players: PG, Hayward, Griffin, Lowry. Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. So there is bound to be some poo poo go down.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spacebump posted:

Nerlens about to get the big bucks.

I hope. I want to see Melo on a good team and PG in Cleveland.

Fully expecting him to be injured again. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Same. In the pre-season, no less.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Who?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

A fan tried and got banned from MSG.

Some dude with a beer in his hand yelled "SELL THE TEAM DOLAN" at Dolan's limo, so Dolan, just like a normal human being, came over and screamed at him, told him he reeked of alcohol, had him banned from MSG and later prevented him from renewing his season tickets
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/fan-dolan-yelled-prevented-renewing-season-tickets-article-1.3045013

In 2015 a 72 year old man found his email and wrote him:
https://deadspin.com/dolan-start-rooting-for-the-nets-because-the-knicks-d-1684489469

quote:

Subject: I have been a knicks fan since 1952

At one stage I thought that you did a wonderful thing when you acquired EVERYTHING from your dad. However, since then it has been ALL DOWN HILL. Your working with Isaiah Thomas & everything else regarding the Knicks. Bringing on Phil Jackson was a positive beginning, but lowballing Steve Kerr was a DISGRACE to the knicks. The bottom line is that you merely continued to interfere with the franchise.

As a knicks fan for in excess of 60 years, I am utterly embarrassed by your dealings with the Knicks. Sell them so their fans can at least look forward to growing them in a positive direction Obviously, money IS NOT THE ONLY THING. You have done a lot of utterly STUPID business things with the franchise. Please NO MORE.

Respectfully,

Irving Bierman
Dolan responded:

quote:

Mr Bierman

You are a sad person. Why would anybody write such a hateful letter. I am.just guessing but ill bet your life is a mess and you are a hateful mess. What have you done that anyone would consider positive or nice. I am betting nothing. In fact ill bet you are negative force in everyone who comes in contact with you. You most likely have made your family miserable. Alcoholic maybe. I just celebrated my 21 year anniversary of sobriety. You should try it. Maybe it will help you become a person that folks would like to have around. In the mean while start rooting.for the Nets because the Knicks dont want you.

Respectfully

James Dolan

And can't forget back in February he accused Knicks Fuckin' Legend Charles Oakley of being an alcoholic:
https://nypost.com/2017/02/10/msg-bans-charles-oakley-for-life/

quote:

“I’m sure he has problems,” Dolan, a recovering addict himself, told The Post. “I didn’t have the problem he has, but when you’re fighting addiction, it’s not that much different from anger management or other diseases where you can’t control yourself. The first step is to turn that around for yourself is admitting you have a problem. And then from there you can begin to take the steps to take control back in your life.”

quote:

"He has a problem with anger. He's both physically and verbally abusive," Dolan said Friday during an interview on The Michael Kay Show on ESPN New York 98.7 FM. "He may have a problem with alcohol. We don't know. But those behaviors of being physically and verbally abusive, those are personality problems."

He thinks this because Oakley has been heavily involved doing charity work trying to help recovering alcoholics (because he was teammates with Jayson Williams)
https://nypost.com/2017/02/11/oakley-does-dolan-think-im-an-alcoholic-because-i-help-alcoholics/

what other owner does that poo poo

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 29, 2017

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

EvanTH posted:

Mr Bierman

You are a sad person. Why would anybody write such a hateful letter. I am.just guessing but ill bet your life is a mess and you are a hateful mess. What have you done that anyone would consider positive or nice. I am betting nothing. In fact ill bet you are negative force in everyone who comes in contact with you. You most likely have made your family miserable. Alcoholic maybe. I just celebrated my 21 year anniversary of sobriety. You should try it. Maybe it will help you become a person that folks would like to have around. In the mean while start rooting.for the Nets because the Knicks dont want you.

Respectfully

James Dolan

That screams CUNY education more than SUNY to me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

leftist heap posted:

I didn't catch it in years past but I just listened to the mock offseason that the Dunc'd On podcast does, and it was hilarious. All the A- and B-tier FAs soak up the leftover cap space immediately and dudes that would have snagged huge contracts an offseason ago are taking half of the MLE for one year.

Zero clue how accurate that'll be but it just doesn't seem like teams have that much room

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Danny has some of his Boston media goons reporting that they're waiting on hearing back from Pritchard but the current demand for PG is too unreasonable, which means the trade is still in the works and Danny's trying to drive down the price. All is right and normal in the world

Danny Is Trying So Hard

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/Murf56/status/880478927944380418

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

morestuff posted:

I didn't catch it in years past but I just listened to the mock offseason that the Dunc'd On podcast does, and it was hilarious. All the A- and B-tier FAs soak up the leftover cap space immediately and dudes that would have snagged huge contracts an offseason ago are taking half of the MLE for one year.

Zero clue how accurate that'll be but it just doesn't seem like teams have that much room

They basically tend to try smart deals, but mostly get the big free agent stuff contracts right. Obviously they don't expect the really stupid stuff like Mosgov, Noah, Evan turner, etc. that basically throws out available cap for no reason.

It really puts into perspective that not many teams actually need free agent point guards and MY GOD if you're a center in free agency, get whatever 8 figure deal you can, even if it's the Kings.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Tae posted:

It really puts into perspective that not many teams actually need free agent point guards

This was my biggest takeaway and I am thrilled

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tuesday would be ideal

MourningView posted:

Danny Is Trying So Hard

He probably actually is right now. He's a busy boy!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Boosh! posted:

That screams CUNY education more than SUNY to me.

eh CUNY provides a bunch of okay-ish to not-great opportunity for folks who otherwise might not have any options. And CUNY Law produces a ton of altruistic public-interest lawyers.

"I remained an alcoholic for 20+ years after college" is very, very much an upstate SUNY experience haha

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

Tuesday would be ideal

I saw elsewhere it was Sunday, with Utah getting the last crack

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also, the mock-off offseason is a good preview for Piston and Blazers fans because you ain't doing poo poo in the offseason unless you dump assets for your bad contracts.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

morestuff posted:

Yes, that's clearly a possibility, it was also in the tweet, and my point remains. Tuesday would be ideal

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

morestuff posted:

I don't think a day has been finalized for his Boston meeting.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/880484807439863812

I really have no idea where he's going to end up

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Hopefully Sacramento because that's what I guessed in our FA Game.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

OKC

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He's ready to fulfill his destiny

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/880492184797097984

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

pubic works project posted:

Hopefully Sacramento because that's what I guessed in our FA Game.

I'm gonna say... Houstan... Houstan Rockettes...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yes, that's clearly a possibility, it was also in the tweet, and my point remains. Tuesday would be ideal

My bad, I saw that it had been locked in as Sunday. Looks like I either misread or it was misreported:

quote:

Gordon Hayward will take his first free-agent meeting with the Miami Heat on Saturday, a source told ESPN's Jorge Sedano.

Hayward has also scheduled meetings with the Boston Celtics and the Utah Jazz, sources told ESPN.

An earlier version of this story contained conflicting information on the timing of his meetings.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

morestuff posted:

My bad, I saw that it had been locked in as Sunday. Looks like I either misread or it was misreported:

Yeah I read the same thing, he's still probably going to meet with them on Saturday anyways but I can hope!

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

EvanTH posted:

eh CUNY provides a bunch of okay-ish to not-great opportunity for folks who otherwise might not have any options. And CUNY Law produces a ton of altruistic public-interest lawyers.

"I remained an alcoholic for 20+ years after college" is very, very much an upstate SUNY experience haha

Ahh yeah, just reaching for a CUNY joke. Most of my family went to Baruch or Hunter.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Hmmmmm I smell a chance to unload LMA
Cmon Bud...you're part of the family

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Windhorst keeps suggesting that the Suns are going after Millsap but I don't think he has any sources within the organization. It doesn't really line up with anything Sarver or McDonough have said. I hope he's wrong but it seems like the kind of dumbass shortsighted move that's been missing for a couple years.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If the T-Wolves want to compete, Milsap to the T-wolves makes the most sense.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Metapod posted:

He's ready to fulfill his destiny

Learn to use the Dark Side of the Force...

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Boosh! posted:

Ahh yeah, just reaching for a CUNY joke. Most of my family went to Baruch or Hunter.

snob. My dad's a proud CCNY alum and he'll tell you all about the year they won the NIT when it was the big deal and the NCAA, then the team got penalized for gambling or something, lol.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Mr. Mambold posted:

snob. My dad's a proud CCNY alum and he'll tell you all about the year they won the NIT when it was the big deal and the NCAA, then the team got penalized for gambling or something, lol.

My man. My dad was a on the CCNY JV team. Got no burn though.

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/880454768061284352

The interest in Hill is weird. If true, I don't think we're looking to tank.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
That link on Duncan itself linked to a longer post. I liked this quote from him:

Tim Duncan posted:

"Judge, please do not send a message to guys like Banks that nothing really bad happens to you if it is the first time you get caught. You and I both know that if some underprivileged kid from a rough neighborhood stole a lot less, they would be going to jail for many years. I know Banks has a lot of other peoples' money that he thinks he can use to lawyer his way to a slap on the wrist. I just want to ensure … to make it clear to anyone looking to take advantage of trusting athletes that this is not acceptable and will not be tolerated."

• Locked thread