Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

bull3964 posted:

I mean, we're still hiring as well. They've just made it clear that all interviews are to be tele-interviews and that people will have their computers mailed to them if they are onboarded.

To be fair, we already had a good chunk of remote employees and and procedures in place to onboard people remotely. It can be done. Companies are learning really fast that they need to have these sort of policies and procedures fleshed out and in place.

I seriously don't know how we're going to get our new hire on-boarded given it's already a nightmare to do it in the office, let alone remotely. But at least I've still got a job so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

I go out at night all the time. Everything is still completely normal here and our health care system is managing the very low risk of this just fine here. That's totally separate to work.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ugh same holy poo poo everyone needs to shut up. I'm going to move into the forest not because of the wuhan boomer flu but just so I don't have to listen to another goddamn IT worker be hysterical about it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wash your hands you filthy disgusting weirdo.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Go post non-IT virus panic poo poo in the doomsday thread or somewhere not here. This isn't an American thread and this isn't a political thread. Thanks.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm going to say it once more - if you want to talk about doomsday predictions, the stock market issues, politics, etc, there are many threads and subforums to do that in. This is the IT thread. It is for IT chat. It's not difficult. Thank you.

Methanar, you need serious help. Log off for a bit.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Everyone please be nice, we're all stressed and everything is insane right now.

Just want to say I hope you took a little bit of time in quarantine to be retrospective about this. You were a real piece of poo poo for something now threatening hundreds of thousands of lives. I know hindsight is 20-20 but maybe don't be so hostile right off the bat when you're a mod?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I was just asked to write up a whole thing detailing what work I could do from home in the event of an emergency.

"...you mean like this whole Corona virus thing? You mean like the work I have to do all the loving time at like 10pm on a Sunday? Wouldn't it just be easier to list the like 4 things I can't do from home?"
Apparently we are considering only having half our team in the office at a time which in and of itself is a whole different kind of stupid solution to this situation.

I'm fed up and I'm gonna wear a loving hazmat suit and respirator to work tomorrow just to make a statement.
There is literally no reason anyone should be coming into the office except maybe one person at a time in case of a network problem that prevents VPN access.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We still haven't mandated wfh, for some reason. I'm still at home, sick, and they won't test me. On sick leave for the coming week, so I don't need to think about that, and that could be extended nbd. Hoping that I get well soon, as I'm now at the seven day mark, a critical point between phases. Ugh.

Stay safe, goons.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mentioned before, I work for a manufacturing company. Hundreds of people on lines. They're all still required to come into work, so IT is required to come into work too.

Everyone else at the office is wfm. Except for the CEO, president of the company, and the VP of HR. CEO mandated that they have to come in too, so that's good at least.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm pretty sure the entire automotive sector is shut down.

Office work still continues but when it comes to manufacturing and all that jazz - everything's stopped.

Well, I don't know about every supplier but with OEMs shut down, I don't see them going on for too long.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm worried about that for our company. I can't make mortgage with what I'd get from unemployment.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Last week was the best week to take a vacation

First all the WFH issues

Then a power outage at HQ long enough they had to do a complete shutdown

Then a bunch of servers and their backups got crypto'd

Might have lost our entire AD

Guess who's the AD guy and may get to rebuild everything after being well-rested

Tomorrow gonna be a day

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

One of our team is sick with what's probably COVID, and I was around him for a couple hours a week ago before we started WFH, so I'm going to self-quarantine for another week and a half to make sure I didn't get it. Here's hoping, but hey. If I do, at least I get sick days now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

klosterdev posted:

First all the WFH issues

Guess who's the AD guy and may get to rebuild everything after being well-rested

Tomorrow gonna be a day

Jesus. And I thought the rest of us were having a bad week.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If you have an issue with me, please PM me. Do not post callouts like that, of anyone, in this subforum. Thanks!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you have an issue with me, please PM me. Do not post callouts like that, of anyone, in this subforum. Thanks!

Nah dude. People get called out all the time around here and I’ve never seen anyone say anything about it at all. This thread gets downright hostile sometimes. You can’t pull this when the shoe end up on your foot.

Take your lick like an adult and move on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Nah dude. People get called out all the time around here and I’ve never seen anyone say anything about it at all. This thread gets downright hostile sometimes. You can’t pull this when the shoe end up on your foot.

Take your lick like an adult and move on.

This isn't about me, I don't care personally - I've taken a whole lotta licks from goons over the years, and I have a thick skin otherwise I wouldn't dish it out in turn like I definitely do. Simply, it's not something I want to see happen to others in this subforum, so that's the precedent I'm setting and the behaviour/rules for this subforum. It's needlessly petty and rude. So yeah, if you have an issue with me personally, PM me and we can chat like adults. Thanks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

This isn't about me, I don't care personally - I've taken a whole lotta licks from goons over the years, and I have a thick skin otherwise I wouldn't dish it out in turn like I definitely do. Simply, it's not something I want to see happen to others in this subforum, so that's the precedent I'm setting and the behaviour/rules for this subforum. It's needlessly petty and rude. So yeah, if you have an issue with me personally, PM me and we can chat like adults. Thanks.

That's a reasonable take.
PM'd

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Friendly reminder that for any covid19 business continuity meetings you get pulled into, when somebody starts talking about single points of failure and bus factors, that has the dual purpose of identifying redundancy and who can be laid off with minimal business impact.

Just remember all corporations are soulless monsters and the only courtesy they will ever extend is asking how long of a rope you'd like when they hang you. Please represent knowledge sharing and business tolerance of missing personnel accordingly.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just @ spam clam in slack if you have a problem with him

Much more therapeutic than pm’s

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

just @ spam clam in slack if you have a problem with him

Much more therapeutic than pm’s

Nooooooooo my notifications

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If I’m having a bad day I just @here in Slack and laugh as it all burns down

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

klosterdev posted:

First all the WFH issues

Tomorrow gonna be a day

I find AD rebuilds to be therapeutic. As long as you have one good backup everything is bueno.

Edit: the therapeutic parts are pointing out the failures of the people responsible for the work that has befallen upon you. The recovery loving sucks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Methanar posted:

Friendly reminder that for any covid19 business continuity meetings you get pulled into, when somebody starts talking about single points of failure and bus factors, that has the dual purpose of identifying redundancy and who can be laid off with minimal business impact.

Just remember all corporations are soulless monsters and the only courtesy they will ever extend is asking how long of a rope you'd like when they hang you. Please represent knowledge sharing and business tolerance of missing personnel accordingly.

loving this. A thousand times this.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Speaking of COVID business continuity, I just got an email a couple hours ago and it turns out we have one guy out for COVID (which I knew about), but also one guy out on planned vacation, and one guy out on a family emergency for two weeks, so for the next two weeks everyone is working at least 50 hours. At least we're all hourly. I'm voluntarily working even more than that (we have offshore guys working for part of my shift but my manager is still worried about them being by themselves so I'm staying a bit late making sure they don't run into trouble), so I might hit 60 hours a week for the next two weeks.

Fine by me, I need the OT anyway with the pay cut I got getting converted, the last few hours of my day barely qualify as work anyway. But don't tell my boss.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mega Millions and Powerball are both over $100 million. That's my continuity plan.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Monday morning catchup and 3/8 of the team is sick and bailing out, I've been at home since 11th with house quarantine ending this Thursday and apparently there's still a few people to on-board and sort equipment out.

Despite every studio being closed down I'm still feeling "Nah dawg" in terms of doing any on-site work, even with bike gear and a paint mask I'm not particularly hot with more infection risk when dealing with that at home already. At least all the fire fighting has calmed down with most people sorted with MFA / VPN access and sorting their home networks (although people are still queuing up for wifi dongles lol)

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
wow... Teams really is a big old pile of poo poo, isn't it.

The 2 IT managers have taken it upon themselves to 'police' what teams and channels are being made, and got off to a great start by putting the service desk in a different team to the rest of the second and third line, so they can't even put a message in a group chat if they need help with something. Great management. Excellent collaboration.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

wow... Teams really is a big old pile of poo poo, isn't it.

The 2 IT managers have taken it upon themselves to 'police' what teams and channels are being made, and got off to a great start by putting the service desk in a different team to the rest of the second and third line, so they can't even put a message in a group chat if they need help with something. Great management. Excellent collaboration.

None of those issues have anything to do with teams?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah it sucks if your managers are poo poo too.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

None of those issues have anything to do with teams?

The second bit doesn't, agreed, but it's still a garbage program. The chat log is horrible to read.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Teams also uses 100GB of memory for every window open.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

The second bit doesn't, agreed, but it's still a garbage program. The chat log is horrible to read.

As opposed to what?

Woof Blitzer posted:

I assume you meant mb but even then I have like 130 chats open and its only using 250mb.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We just rolled Webex + Webex Teams to 250 people

We don't have o365.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Matches nicely with the 80% processor capacity that Outlook decides to use twice a day.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You need better computers, Outlook only uses 80% of one core, after all. Teams on the other hand... man, gently caress that program.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol my boss is taking his previously scheduled 2 day vacation with 0 cell service right now
welp

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Teams doesn’t use any more resources than any other electron app. As someone that is routinely running 4 electron apps, if your computer is more powerful than a potato, you should be fine.

Now if you want to complain about the trend of making desktop apps with electron, I’m all ears.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm in like 25 different "teams" in Teams, and mine is at 475 MB RAM. It's not that bad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Your Canadian RAM isn't worth as much as our American RAM.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

:smith:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

from the company wide teams channel this morning courtesy of one of the admin assistants

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GreenNight posted:

Unnecessary roughness :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Working from home for a few days....

Since we have a VoIP system at the corp office now decided to try out a few softphones, wasn't really impressed with any of them. Then I found this nifty little one called tSIP...

Has this great feature that lets you have a customizable panel of programmable buttons. So I was able to setup BLFs for some extensions at the office, parking lots, etc... Really nifty.

Yeah it looks straight out of 1995, but its simple and works great.