Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I always agree with people defending DS2 but I'm recalling first hand now how flatly annoying it is with enemies chasing you for too long, snipers, its insistence on ambushes. DS1 was guilty of this too and I'm glad it's something they dealt with from here on.

The little changes in SotF are interesting as I only played DS2+DLC in the past. I'm assuming it's just differences in placements of things but there's no new or majorly changed assets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Djeser posted:

DS2, befitting its development history, is more like a weird offshoot of DS1

ya that’s what sequels tend to be.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

snoremac posted:

I always agree with people defending DS2 but I'm recalling first hand now how flatly annoying it is with enemies chasing you for too long, snipers, its insistence on ambushes. DS1 was guilty of this too and I'm glad it's something they dealt with from here on.

The little changes in SotF are interesting as I only played DS2+DLC in the past. I'm assuming it's just differences in placements of things but there's no new or majorly changed assets?

Not really. I do know the Forlorn is new and Aldia as well.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
More Percy!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Oh yeah, I feel like he is EVERYWHERE in SotFS. But as somebody else pointed out, once you figure him out, he becomes a bit of a pushover, and welcome bonanza of souls.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I always find posts like this kinda funny, but then I remember my own playstyle is similarly funny. For instance, outside of the tutorial areas I have never used a bladed weapon in a souls game.

how does that work? blunt instruments only, or magic only?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Me, every time I play Dark Souls: welcome to the club motherfuckers

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

betterinsodapop posted:

Oh yeah, I feel like he is EVERYWHERE in SotFS. But as somebody else pointed out, once you figure him out, he becomes a bit of a pushover, and welcome bonanza of souls.

Seeing Percy is great news. Guy keeps showing up to give you Twinkling Titanite.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

snoremac posted:

It rejiggers enemy placement and AI in some places, moved a couple bonfires, added more Pursuer encounters, hides the keys to the DLCs in the world, moved other item placements around, added an additional optional endboss, adds some extra encounters with an NPC, added the invisible hollows mechanic, and redid the lighting engine a bit to bring it closer to what they wanted initially before it was ripped out. There are also some minor tweaks in stats or bonuses on a few weapons or shields I can't remember, but it'll mess you up a bit because a few wikis were updated and a few weren't.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

goblin week posted:

ya that’s what sequels tend to be.

It's not the case for Dark Souls 3, though, which is an attempt to bridge the combat styles of Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne rather than an attempt to build on Dark Souls 2. Which is why DS2 is thus the odd one out: only a couple of its more ease-of-use style mechanics made it into the successive games, like separating infusions and weapon upgrades into two separate systems, or having an Estus Flask that levels up as you find shards instead of the kindling/rite mechanic from DS1.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Worth noting that included in changed enemy placements are enemies that originally only showed up in NG+ and/or higher bonfire levels that you likely never even realize existed.

double nine posted:

how does that work? blunt instruments only, or magic only?

Hammer time all the time. I've also only ever used a shield for anything other than free stamina regen exactly once. And unless my memory has failed me I've only ever messed around with ranged weapons in Shulva to hit switches. Maybe I fumbled around trying to make the crossbow work in DS1 and then gave up. (Throwing knives and bombs are okay tho.)

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

i am tim! posted:

Seeing Percy is great news. Guy keeps showing up to give you Twinkling Titanite.
What a swell guy! :laugh:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It rejiggers enemy placement and AI in some places, moved a couple bonfires, added more Pursuer encounters, hides the keys to the DLCs in the world, moved other item placements around, added an additional optional endboss, adds some extra encounters with an NPC, added the invisible hollows mechanic, and redid the lighting engine a bit to bring it closer to what they wanted initially before it was ripped out. There are also some minor tweaks in stats or bonuses on a few weapons or shields I can't remember, but it'll mess you up a bit because a few wikis were updated and a few weren't.
To be clear is that an additional endboss beyond Aldia? Because he was in the original if you owned the DLCs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

snoremac posted:

To be clear is that an additional endboss beyond Aldia? Because he was in the original if you owned the DLCs.

He was patched into the base game, but it was as part of deploying a "Scholar of the First Sin update" for the vanilla game. Basically some free updates that the full re-release was getting bundled by default along with the wider revisions.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is there a mod out there that simply makes the enemies pursue you for less distance from their starting points? Too often there's a horde at my back if I decide to skip ahead a little bit instead of take everything out.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

snoremac posted:

Is there a mod out there that simply makes the enemies pursue you for less distance from their starting points? Too often there's a horde at my back if I decide to skip ahead a little bit instead of take everything out.
Turn around and own them then

I'm slowly getting everything done in NG on my SECOND "finally get everything, esp. achievements" character in Scholar, the first I lost because of no cloud saves (after I'd done Frozen Wastes, farmed for 50 Loyce Souls...). Yesterday I beat Darklurker - finally, last session I hadn't been able to get him - and then tackled Iron Keep.

I killed Fume on my second attempt. I think...I've finally gotten gud?!

(lol now Alonne is gonna take my lunch for saying that)

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

snoremac posted:

yearn/alluring skulls do this but only work on some enemies. you can also just bait the horde of enemies into attacking you some distance away from the fog gate, then make a break for it and make it through.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

yearn/alluring skulls do this but only work on some enemies. you can also just bait the horde of enemies into attacking you some distance away from the fog gate, then make a break for it and make it through.
I forgot about alluring skulls so I'll stock up on them. I was just expecting that SotF had ironed out some of the more annoying things
because I remember reading that Shrine of Amana is way less painful than it was originally with the sniping magicians. I do prefer the route they've gone in every game since where you can dash through everything if you want to.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

snoremac posted:

I forgot about alluring skulls so I'll stock up on them. I was just expecting that SotF had ironed out some of the more annoying things
because I remember reading that Shrine of Amana is way less painful than it was originally with the sniping magicians. I do prefer the route they've gone in every game since where you can dash through everything if you want to.

you can dash through almost everything. you might run into issues in iron keep and in some areas of all three dlcs. i've watched videos of ymfah dashing through everything, so with practice you can run through those areas successfully, too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there a simple way to get through memory of old iron king without slowly killing every alonne knight?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

double nine posted:

is there a simple way to get through memory of old iron king without slowly killing every alonne knight?

yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCuNoMrN34Q&t=7000s

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

This game likes awkward diagonal jumps onto little ledges hanging over lava/poison/pits!

I'd say I've died 20 times on this replay but as of Smelter Demon haven't died to a boss. Rolling is king.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Jinxed myself and immediately fell into that little lava puddle against Old Iron King.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

snoremac posted:

Jinxed myself and immediately fell into that little lava puddle against Old Iron King.

That puddle is the real boss

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

pointsofdata posted:

That puddle is the real boss

I was about to make this exact reply

My recent playthrough I strolled into the arena all cocky n poo poo, expecting to nail him on my first try, only to get owned by the puddle 3 times

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Lava boy always reminded me of that fiery Star Fox 64 boss.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I was about to make this exact reply

My recent playthrough I strolled into the arena all cocky n poo poo, expecting to nail him on my first try, only to get owned by the puddle 3 times
He distracted me with those super telegraphed attacks that engage my ROLLING INSTINCT.

I was drunk too.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I did not summon Pate for the first boss fight, does that lock me out of his content?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

I did not summon Pate for the first boss fight, does that lock me out of his content?
No. Using a Bonfire Ascetic to +1 an area resets the boss fights as well, so you can resummon Pate to fight the Last Giant on NG+.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My most recent run I didn't summon NPCs for anything, just exhausted their dialogue when I met them, and was still able to complete Pate's quest and get my engraved gauntlets

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrvOIp2wgQ0

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Cool cool, thanks. The internet doesn't have as much explicit info on DS2 as the other games (maybe appropriate) so it's good to have a clear answer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wikidot has 98% of the deets on everything DS2 related. The remaining 2% can usually be dug up on the fandom wiki. (And you can safely ignore fextralife because it's trash.)

The only thing you miss out on not summoning Pate (and keeping him alive, importantly) is that he'll give you his full set of gear for free the next time you talk to him. But as far as gear goes it's exceedingly average, IIRC.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What's fun is that less popular games like The Surge are handled even less well on fextra than something super popular like Souls. As far as I can tell, just 1 guy made the Surge fextra wiki and he wrote it all with personal anecdotes and original research (with caveats because he only tested certain things in certain ways).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's pretty staggering considering most pages on Souls stuff on Fextra aren't even finished. Lots of weapons having their damage listed as ??? kind of poo poo.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Wikidot has 98% of the deets on everything DS2 related. The remaining 2% can usually be dug up on the fandom wiki. (And you can safely ignore fextralife because it's trash.)

The only thing you miss out on not summoning Pate (and keeping him alive, importantly) is that he'll give you his full set of gear for free the next time you talk to him. But as far as gear goes it's exceedingly average, IIRC.

Wikidot is about perfect for Demon's Souls (PS3), Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 (and SoTFS). After that I have to resort to fandom for DS3/BB stuff. Fextra has some great maps for DS3 and Bloodborne that are worth checking for item locations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

even for dark souls 3, stuff like "where can i find this item" (probably the most common thing to look up about dark souls?) is covered pretty well on wikidot, it's mostly missing things like enemy descriptions, exact drops for everything and whatnot

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
For Bloodborne, try https://www.bloodborne-wiki.com/. It has pretty much all you can expect + some more, like the internal math of the game and frame data of a lot of attacks.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The Guardian Dragon is such a pushover, my God! Arguably easier than the giant since you have less adaptability to dodge the same stomp attack.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't fextralife just fetlife's gaming site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Isn't fextralife just fetlife's gaming site?

good one, but nah it's just an illegitimate viewbotting front for a twitch stream.