Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I mean if you've got a better solution to poverty than death camps then I'd like to hear it, smart guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So at best Jericho is a useful idiot and that's still just awful

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Expecting better than garbage from wrestlers is setting yourself up for disappointment though. Yes, this is garbage from Jericho. Saying this isn't me hand waving him having failsons of racists on his podcast. But LividLiquid seems to get very badly let down & angry by wrestlers & people in the business being garbage on a regular basis. Maybe I'm just deeply jaded from a long-time following wrestling but that's wrestling. It's basically cultivated for decades an extremely selfish mindset where you hold the fans in absolute contempt and look out only for number 1, of course it's full of libertarians. Should that change? Clearly I think it should. But letting yourself get crushed all the time when wrestlers are wrestlers isn't healthy.

Dick Murdoch was Dusty Rhodes tag partner is The Texas Outlaws & they were friends in real life. Dick Murdoch was also in the KKK, straight up, and if you watch shoots where someone talks about that it's usually in the form of a humorous anecdote, like the time he took Dusty to a party without telling Dusty it was a KKK party (the exception is The Rock's dad Rocky Johnson talking about getting stiffed by Dick & telling him to cut that poo poo out or he'll fire back, & Dick carries on so Rocky knocks him out.which is great). This is the wrestling business, it's trash.

It's a trash business full of trash people and if you want to change then godspeed but I don't see how you do that. To some degree it's less bad than it was with the generation who came in post-WCW but there's still plenty guys around like Dustin Rhodes & Chris Jericho. Wrestling will get less awful when society as a whole is less awful. By all means don't support trash people, but know that there's plenty of trash people smart enough to know that talking politics hurts their bottom line so they keep schtum.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

History Comes Inside! posted:

I mean if you've got a better solution to poverty than death camps then I'd like to hear it, smart guy

I'm not saying do it, I'm just saying run it through the computer and see if it'll work!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Uh, yeah, you know I gotcha
Yeah

BUILD THE WALL NOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
i can't believe chris jericho got "ok boomer"d

actually i can super believe it what am i talking about

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mr Corbyn, you've made it impossible for me, an alcoholic heavy metal pro wrestling millionaire, to vote for the Labour party.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Mr Corbyn, you've made it impossible for me, an alcoholic heavy metal pro wrestling millionaire, to vote for the Labour party.
G’mon, baby!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The last 3 years has taught me a lot about the human condition.
Mostly that as a collective we are 7 septillion tons of sentient garbage.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wrestlers are idiots as is everyone else, the proper response is to kick them in the balls and call them wimps and pussies any chance you get.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

You know what I AM partisan about though? Omaha steaks.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Under a more healthy political environment I would accept that statement. Ideally I would prefer unity and bipartisanship over...waves hands wildly
But this isn't that. This isn't politics. This is evil.
I honestly believe he does not understand what the big deal is. He does not understand that Trump Jr. is not 'conservative'. He is evil.
The guy who partially made his career calling a woman a 'trash-bag hoe' to wild cheers from the crowd is probably not a big fan of politically correct speak and triggering.
And that's probably where is ends with him.
The problem is I don't think there is any teaching him.
I wonder how Sammy and PnP feel about this. Let's be honest they're probably thinking 'well Trump doesn't want to deport 'me'. I'm one of the good ones'
Ugh, I probably shouldn't be speaking for them.
Just, ugh.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That's also a pretty lovely rebuttal. Why not interview David Duke next? Or the ghost of Goebbels? "I'm non-partisan!" I shriek, as I provide an audience for the worst of humanity.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The alt-righter and the boomer who voted for the laundry ultimately had their votes counted the same.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i have come to the conclusion that anyone who says that is automatically conservative

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

i have come to the conclusion that anyone who says that is automatically conservative
you would be correct, friend

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Vertical Lime posted:

It's a safe conclusion to come to because the "I'm not partisan, I will have anyone on my show" people seldom have communists on. And if they do, they seldom listen to them as uncritically as they do the right wing reactionaries.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The entire concept of bipartisanship is a conservative grift.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I don't disagree with you, things absolutely would be easier and healthier if you can ignore that a wrestler is a lovely person in real life. And I think we all do that a lot. But, ignoring it when someone is like Hager or Jericho is impossible for a lot of people because their politics are "I think the world would be a better place of you were dead and everyone born the same way as you was also dead." I don't think there is any healthy way to enjoy the work of someone who's political beliefs want to kill you.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't disagree with you, things absolutely would be easier and healthier if you can ignore that a wrestler is a lovely person in real life. And I think we all do that a lot.

If we didn't/couldn't then we couldn't be wrestling fans.
And this really sucks because I need AEW to be cool and good. Not perfect. But cool and good. I...loving NEED it.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't disagree with you, things absolutely would be easier and healthier if you can ignore that a wrestler is a lovely person in real life. And I think we all do that a lot. But, ignoring it when someone is like Hager or Jericho is impossible for a lot of people because their politics are "I think the world would be a better place of you were dead and everyone born the same way as you was also dead." I don't think there is any healthy way to enjoy the work of someone who's political beliefs want to kill you.

I really don’t think those are Jericho’s politics

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I really don’t think those are Jericho’s politics

Complacency is compliance at best

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's the Trump family's brand and Jericho is giving Jr. a platform for his political book that's all about dehumanizing people. If he's giving fascism a platform I don't know what else to assume.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

PunkBoy posted:

Complacency is compliance at best

Yes but assigning intended malice: jerichos politics are that he wants a whole bunch of people dead when the truth is he is like most not online people who just don’t think enough about these things seems a bit hyperbolic no?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

I dunno, I've met Jews who love the music of Burzum while regarding Varg Vikernes as absolute pond scum, a murdering racist sack of shite. I think it's possible to healthily separate art from artist. Acknowledge & be aware of the shittiness while still just allowing you to enjoy the thing you enjoy because No Ethical Consumption Under Capitalism. (Which isn't a blanket statement to just act as a freepass to supporting fash or whatever, but it is deeply unhealthy to be an activist 24/7. You have to allow yourself to enjoy something sometimes or things are going to get very dark)

Wrestling is very much a problematic fave. Casual racism & homophobia was not unusual even a decade ago, I'm watching old ROH & nearly every show in the first 2 years features some degree of man on woman violence (& not an indergender match with both wrestlers presented basically as equals, usually it's a valet getting powerbombed or whatever where there's a clear power disparity) and almost everyone gets a big face pop. If you weren't watching 15 years ago I don't think you can really comprehend how much better wrestling is now as far as that all goes. But there's still so many people involved from that era, be it as wrestlers like Jericho or backstage like Bubba Ray Dudley at ROH or almost the entire agents team at WWE.

Maybe I'm hugely pessimistic about this but I've seen the improvements and I think it's great that wrestling is far more inclusive, but I also still have that mindset that the people in this business are scum and to expect nothing but disappointment from them. Except Zack Labour Jr, then my fandom gets the best of me and I stan like a 15 year old Harry Styles fan. Being trans and the abuse that comes with it is something I can never relate to, clearly. My viewpoint, as much as I try not to, is clearly dominated by my experience as a white male whose sexuality is generally just assumed as straight. I get that, and I get that it's a struggle, but I've seen friends drive themselves to the brink of suicide by trying to fight every battle and it's just not possible to do that without reaching a point of exhaustion. I should probably shut up now, I've made my point.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Lance noooo

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1191958997693345796

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

watch this whole thing end with lance being fired for engaging with aew

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/erickstevens82/status/1192034644390223873?s=20

Glenn Gilberti is such a dipshit

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i thought the point of a podcast was for white men to finally have a platform to air their views

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Holy poo poo I've been here for 5 days and I want Earth to explode

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Crapple! posted:

welcome to hell world baby

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Would bet significant sums of money that Jericho (and probably Lance too) is exactly as politically engaged as my in-laws and would be hearing about 80% of the lovely things the Trumps and Republicans have done since the election for the first time when you told him about them.

Their experiences are obviously universal, so why would anyone get so upset about politics and why even bother to consider that someone else experiences the world differently?

This is not a defense.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Crapple! posted:

What planet were you from originally, and will you take us there?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Yes but assigning intended malice: jerichos politics are that he wants a whole bunch of people dead when the truth is he is like most not online people who just don’t think enough about these things seems a bit hyperbolic no?

If you're breaking bread and doing business deals with fascists I'm assuming full malice.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

At least this is less of a problem because I have never enjoyed Gilberti.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Wendell posted:

What planet were you from originally, and will you take us there?

No you guys are awesome. Earth needs people like you

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Crapple! posted:

No you guys are awesome. Earth needs people like you

I'm genuinely curious since actual new people are extremely rare on SA nowadays. How did you find us and what made you decide to register?

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.

ChrisBTY posted:

The last 3 years has taught me a lot about the human condition.
Mostly that as a collective we are 7 septillion tons of sentient garbage.

Truth. I used to think people were ultimately good. That lying was universally unacceptable. That people would do the right thing when horrible poo poo goes down. I feel like a drat fool.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
https://twitter.com/RandyOrton/status/1191927122710814720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

bradzilla posted:

I'm genuinely curious since actual new people are extremely rare on SA nowadays. How did you find us and what made you decide to register?

My first thought was oh no is it Mel lol