Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

G0RF posted:

Chris Roberts, making the hard calls on Squadron 42.

:five:

It's pretty incredible, really.

Where do these pics come from anyway?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.fastcompany.com/28121/they-write-right-stuff explains what perfectionists are like

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thoatse posted:

Yeah Money seemed legit cool and he produced a movie (nothing to do with the dumpster fire) that seemed good too iirc

SOmeone find that clip where they mentioned sandy's acting in one of the live streams and he started laughing and looking at the other guys in the stream like it was some sort of office joke.

Also the clip where they brought one of the developers to and he off the mark mentions another character model update in the pipeline and everyone looks like they just murdered their dogs or something

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

mirificus how do you stand being able to take as many screencaps as you do

i like reading them but jesus its like listening to constant right wing radio or fox news all the time. don't you just feel slimy after?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg_ZcA1dwu0&t=1798s

Those little tiny hands attached to the ham-hock arms

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

thatguy posted:

Money if you're reading this, make the SC BtS.

i have a good feeling he isn't throwing away anything that could later be used for a tell all star citizen documentary

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

celewign posted:

hey can someone give me a breakdown on whats up with Money? i dont really know a lot about him and I'd like to hear the story of how he got into the show.

I decided to flip through some old CIG videos. Justin Chambers took DiscoLando's job as AtV editor around July 30th 2015 and started showing up in RtV 2 weeks later (oddly the SC Youtube page is missing every RtV prior to this). The Escapist article calling Sandi racist happened October 1st. The next day was RtV and it was revamped slightly, they added a new backdrop, it became clear a bunch of old faces had left over the last month, Justin started wearing his "Money" hat, and after that Ben, Alexis, Disco, and Money became the regular hosts.

I think he left for a little while to make a movie, but he's still the current video editor.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

A few weeks later, Money started showing up on stream. He never really had a stated role in the company- I think he is a video producer or something? But he was literally there as the token black person to prove that Sandi isn't racist.

Though I'm hardly a Sandi fan and contributed much to the documented record of her antics and quotes -- donutgate, "the backers will never know", blah blah -- this particular Money claim has hardened into historic factoid through repetition here yet it isn't actually true.

Money actually appears in Rtv episodes prior to the Escapist drama. He wasn't the fixture he became after but he was there prior. I remember confirming this in the bygone thread and may even have the RtV archived.

The "token hire" meme was virulent then and remains so and is used as corroboration of the broader toxic culture claims of that story. Whatever the truth or falsehood of those claims, Money's connection to cig predates them. I know from trying to correct this in past threads the claims will keep surfacing here. They are untrue.

(Tipping fedora to the cig lackey reading this the thread.)

"M'lady."

Toblakai posted:

Where do these pics come from anyway?

The fertile gold mines of cig's archival programming record.

EDIT: Oh, hey, MilesK with the details while I was writing this. Thank you, sir.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 31, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tippis posted:

You're just some mean fudspreading hater for thinking that the half-decade history of what they've released in any way reflects the reality of what they're doing. :colbert:

You got me. :argh:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yessss, yessssssssss. Eat yoursssssselvessssss.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

That's what makes it fun!

This is true. :3:

They are getting trolled and abused by everybody, even the company they support.

The only people not trolling them blatantly are other backers and paid shills.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Cao Ni Ma posted:

SOmeone find that clip where they mentioned sandy's acting in one of the live streams and he started laughing and looking at the other guys in the stream like it was some sort of office joke.

Also the clip where they brought one of the developers to and he off the mark mentions another character model update in the pipeline and everyone looks like they just murdered their dogs or something

I too would be interested in seeing these

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

The Titanic posted:

This is true. :3:

They are getting trolled and abused by everybody, even the company they support.

The only people not trolling them blatantly are other backers and paid shills.

I mean really you can go to the subreddit now and it'd be hard to distinguish what is trolling and what isn't at this point

every one of them are so on edge about evil internet personas ruining their video game through words typed that nobody can trust anyone there anymore

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg_ZcA1dwu0&t=1798s

Sausage festooned hoofs is the correct term.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6qkk49/worst_nightmare_for_all_sc_fans_would_probably_if/

What do YOU think under the shower?

Also, has anyone told them that SC already has paid DLC (SQ42 chapters etc), unfinished promised features (private servers, VR etc) and P2W (hello?)?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

nawledgelambo posted:

I mean really you can go to the subreddit now and it'd be hard to distinguish what is trolling and what isn't at this point

every one of them are so on edge about evil internet personas ruining their video game through words typed that nobody can trust anyone there anymore

I've typed enough words here I'm pretty sure I've single handedly accounted for about 4.2 months of overall delay time.

Developers at CIG read my posts, and instead of working they are crying "why is the boat lady meeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaeaannnnn-" and then comical Snoopy tears fly from their turned backwards heads.

Meanwhile in the background is Chris Roberts demanding: Wah wah wah wah, wahn waah wan wah!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Man, I'm starting to remember again why I loved watching this trainwreck...

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

AP posted:

Also I'm serious, anyone with ability to google poo poo could put a delta patcher together, it's not like it's not a standard requirement for absolutely anything that requires updates. I could do it in 2 weeks, and the first week would be spent thinking "I can't be arsed doing this, I'll do it next week".

No, putting together a delta patcher couldn't be done in 2 weeks. Think of the requirements the patcher has:

• Operate on Windows X (multiple platforms, CPUs, temporary directories, system directories, etc.)
  • Support multiple languages
  • Operate on encrypted, uncompressable, large data files. IE, a 5 GB encrypted Cryengine PAK archive may contain many hundreds of files inside it. Changing a single line in the README or documentation would cause every part of that file to change, necessitating a 5GB download. Large encrypted files breaks the concept of delta patching.
  • Get the patches from somewhere, presumably S3 buckets. So, there needs to be upstream systems that support generating patch deltas. There's no evidence that any of these systems exist.

Simply getting the translations done would take longer than two weeks.

But if you're core competency is building a FPS/MMO/BDSSE/modding Cryengine, then buy an off-the-shelf patcher from a company that's spent 10 years working through the vagaries of Win32 APIS, dealing with thousands of horrible edge-cases and bug reports, and pretty much built a bullet-proof product for idiots, and tell CR that it uses encryption, just don't mention the encryption is for transit, not storing the files on disk.

That kind of company would probably also provide reporting on numbers of installs, numbers of upgrades, typical system specs, time-to-patch, typical errors, etc. Everything that you agree to when you tick the box and click 'Next'.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can I get the goon de yada link? I can't find it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dante80 posted:

Man, I'm starting to remember again why I loved watching this trainwreck...

"redchrisgoblin88"

Whichever one of you did this, :five:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Sappo569 posted:

When that stream was happening and we were all in Discord someone kept posting cropped pictures of random portions of Ben and I was literally crying with laughter. I still don't know why I found it so funny. It was probably all the drugs and alcohol.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Trammel posted:

No, putting together a delta patcher couldn't be done in 2 weeks. Think of the requirements the patcher has:

• Operate on Windows X (multiple platforms, CPUs, temporary directories, system directories, etc.)
  • Operate on encrypted, uncompressable, large data files. IE, a 5 GB encrypted Cryengine PAK archive may contain many hundreds of files inside it. Changing a single line in the README or documentation would cause every part of that file to change, necessitating a 5GB download. Large encrypted files breaks the concept of delta patching.
  • Get the patches from somewhere, presumably S3 buckets. So, there needs to be upstream systems that support generating patch deltas. There's no evidence that any of these systems exist.

But if you're core competency is building a FPS/MMO/BDSSE/modding Cryengine, then buy an off-the-shelf patcher from a company that's spent 10 years working through the vagaries of Win32 APIS, dealing with thousands of horrible edge-cases and bug reports, and pretty much built a bullet-proof product for idiots, and tell CR that it uses encryption, just don't mention the encryption is for transit, not storing the files on disk.

That kind of company would probably also provide reporting on numbers of installs, numbers of upgrades, typical system specs, time-to-patch, typical errors, etc. Everything that you agree to when you tick the box and click 'Next'.

But if they didn't encrypt every file, people might figure out they've barely done anything to CryEngine since 2013. Better to be safe.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

thatguy posted:

When that stream was happening and we were all in Discord someone kept posting cropped pictures of random portions of Ben and I was literally crying with laughter. I still don't know why I found it so funny. It was probably all the drugs and alcohol.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Report and move on.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sir please this is a McDonald's drivethrough

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

send help, my beta test is infected (Gunpoint guy's new game)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Where's the downvote button?! :argh:

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

MilesK posted:

But if they didn't encrypt every file, people might figure out they've barely done anything to CryEngine since 2013. Better to be safe.

That's what I was going to ask; why encrypt the resource file? But the answer is obvious: 'Because goons would tear it apart and see how terrible their practices are'.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Ben will die because of Chris Roberts, Star Citizen, LA, and the poor choices he's made as an unhealthy person.\

Whale Cat Taxxe

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

thatguy posted:

This happened to me -- convulsive seizures of non-stop laughter -- during that live stream that had Streetroller debating James Brand.

I'd posted the live stream link in the thread mostly because it was a high-view streamer giving bug-ridden Star Citizen a whirl.

It wasn't long before Streetroller jumped from the streamer's twitch chat to his teamspeak, now talking about his refund and dealings with cig. Then Derek joined for a spell. Then James Brand called in after Derek left and the debate was on.

But what killed me, what absolutely laid me on the floor with crying guffaws, was the total incongruity of a civil debate about the game while the game itself was playing on screen and falling apart.

Nobody was commenting on it, just debating things in a friendly fashion, but the game was a silent participant in it all, completely mocking the entire affair the whole time. That it all happened so randomly -- Streetroller unexpectedly being on, James Brand unexpectedly calling in -- was what did it. Only the dozen or so goons and a smattering of /DS folk watching had the context to really appreciate how ludicrous it all was. I hope all sides got a laugh out of it.

It's a top 5 favorite Star Citizen moment for me. Just lying there on the floor, aching from the laughter, my wife repeatedly asking me "What is so funny? What?", and me gasping for air trying to explain it but only laughing harder as I tried.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I still can't believe the gall of James Brand and his total meekness once he called in to the point where he outright lied about how much skin he had in the game.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

Though I'm hardly a Sandi fan and contributed much to the documented record of her antics and quotes -- donutgate, "the backers will never know", blah blah -- this particular Money claim has hardened into historic factoid through repetition here yet it isn't actually true.

Really! I had no idea, I guess I didn't watch streams very often even back then. Thanks for correcting it though- it's only really fun if it's true.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Uh-Oh! Looks like this is getting some competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab8jCs_snak

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Trammel posted:

The thing is, we're not really talking about “true” delta patching, like the bitmask updates of a bygone era — we're talking about the same kind of delta:ish updates that everyone has been using since, oh, the release of WinNT or so. In other words, it's a matter of rebuilding/appending a container using new files, not updating the files individually or the container as a whole.

CryEngine PAK files are just zips with custom headers. There are a bajillion different libraries that let you do that, a large portion of which will let you do it with encrypted packages as well. That part is not a problem and it does not break delta patching as it exists today. All it does is require the patcher to contain the keys needed, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the encryption… but then, that purpose is defeated by default by this being an actual mass-market game.

Encryption would be handy if you didn't want people to get to the stuff inside the PAK files, but you do. They have to be able to play the game, and that content has to be decrypted and loaded into memory. As such, anyone with access to the PAKs will be able to extract the content — directly from memory if need be. Protection is inherently self-defeating and pointless.

There was some old unsourced claim floating around that CIG wasn't actually that stupid. Instead, they just used signing (but no actual encryption), supposedly to maintain integrity of the PAK files and prevent cheating. Or some such. The problem with that is that it also serves very little purpose. You cheat through memory injection anyway. And that's actually harder than defeating the signing would be. The same non-issue for a delta patcher would apply here: you can still have the patcher update the PAK files just fine, and then re-sign the whole thing when it's done, and the “insecurity” comes with the patcher requiring a signing key to do so, so you could dike out that key and sign tampered files. But again, why bother when you can just do memory injection if you're that determined to cheat — there are automated tools available to do so.

So of those requirements, the first one is handled by relying on standard OS API calls and not being a fucktard Windows-95 era programmer who gets flummoxed by a sandboxed environment the likes of which has existed since the late 1970s (and early 2000:s on the WIndows side). The second is handled by not relying on outdated assumptions about string types and hard-coded ASCII. The third is handled by licensing any kind of professional archiving library — hell, even the free ones will do this without fault. The fourth one is not a problem, since the CDNs just have to hold the updated files, build lists, and checksums — all of which can be auto-generated by the build process.

This is a Network IO 101 programming course lab problem. In fact, it's not even that, because that IO will be handled by pre-existing libraries. It's a “how I use third-party library 001, durrrrrr” programming course lab problem. It should be doable in, oh, two hours — never mind two weeks (or two years). And they're failing at it. Yes, the translations may take a while, but that's assuming you're so far along that you feel you need localisation for your testing environment… and they're not.

…in fact, since we're talking about a testing environment they shouldn't even be using the PAK files to begin with. That's where this whole thing first becomes stupid. They're (pre)alpha testing — an environment where you expect tons of updates on a daily basis. The engine can operate from a pile of files in a regular directory structure, and the PAK files is just a way to hide all of that and allow some “neater” access as well as some (potentially) faster data streaming. If people cheat, so what? It's a testing environment and what they do in that world is irrelevant. In fact, you may even learn something from it. If they want your assets, they have them already — you agreed to hand them over when you allowed them into your testing environment. If you're afraid that people will look at your files and laugh, then it won't help because you can just extract them anyway. People have been doing so from day one and you can't stop them because you must grant them access to those files as part of allowing them to use your software.

Since they have exactly zero need for PAK files, they have zero need for delta patcher — they just need rsync. Their “delta patcher” problem is not a two-week job — it's a 5 second job that consists of “click on rsync download link.” They fail even at that. While I admit that it's perhaps not the most user-friendly utility there is, they still fail at using loving rsync. That's how utterly incompetent and stupid everyone related to software development and project management at CIG is.

…yes, this level of utterly headless fucktardness triggers me. :argh:
And these amateurs this gaggle of dribbling morons are trying to make an MMOFPS&FS. They're not even amateurs, because while it is often used in a derogatory way, that term still ultimately denotes someone who has some level of interest, insight, and competence, just not on a professional level.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 31, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

G0RF posted:

Chris Roberts, making the hard calls on Squadron 42.

You missed the real scoop:
End of SQ42 you get tossed an official SQ42 pilot helmet, so we should have some special graphics for that.

He spoils the ending, and it's a unique helmet toss animation :gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

The thing is, we're not really talking about “true” delta patching, like the bitmask updates of a bygone era — we're talking about the same kind of delta:ish updates that everyone has been using since, oh, the release of WinNT or so. In other words, it's a matter of rebuilding/appending a container using new files, not updating the files individually or the container as a whole.

CryEngine PAK files are just zips with custom headers. There are a bajillion different libraries that let you do that, a large portion of which will let you do it with encrypted packages as well. That part is not a problem and it does not break delta patching as it exists today. All it does is require the patcher to contain the keys needed, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the encryption… but then, that purpose is defeated by default by this being an actual mass-market game.

Encryption would be handy if you didn't want people to get to the stuff inside the PAK files, but you do. They have to be able to play the game, and that content has to be decrypted and loaded into memory. As such, anyone with access to the PAKs will be able to extract the content — directly from memory if need be. Protection is inherently self-defeating and pointless.

There was some old unsourced claim floating around that CIG wasn't actually that stupid. Instead, they just used signing (but no actual encryption), supposedly to maintain integrity of the PAK files and prevent cheating. Or some such. The problem with that is that it also serves very little purpose. You cheat through memory injection anyway. And that's actually harder than defeating the signing would be. The same non-issue for a delta patcher would apply here: you can still have the patcher update the PAK files just fine, and then re-sign the whole thing when it's done, and the “insecurity” comes with the patcher requiring a signing key to do so, so you could dike out that key and sign tampered files. But again, why bother when you can just do memory injection if you're that determined to cheat — there are automated tools available to do so.

So of those requirements, the first one is handled by relying on standard OS API calls and not being a fucktard Windows-95 era programmer who gets flummoxed by a sandboxed environment the likes of which has existed since the late 1970s (and early 2000:s on the WIndows side). The second is handled by not relying on outdated assumptions about string types and hard-coded ASCII. The third is handled by licensing any kind of professional archiving library — hell, even the free ones will do this without fault. The fourth one is not a problem, since the CDNs just have to hold the updated files, build lists, and checksums — all of which can be auto-generated by the build process.

This is a Network IO 101 programming course lab problem. In fact, it's not even that, because that IO will be handled by pre-existing libraries. It's a “how I use third-party library 001, durrrrrr” programming course lab problem. It should be doable in, oh, two hours — never mind two weeks (or two years). And they're failing at it. Yes, the translations may take a while, but that's assuming you're so far along that you feel you need localisation for your testing environment… and they're not.

…in fact, since we're talking about a testing environment they shouldn't even be using the PAK files to begin with. That's where this whole thing first becomes stupid. They're (pre)alpha testing — an environment where you expect tons of updates on a daily basis. The engine can operate from a pile of files in a regular directory structure, and the PAK files is just a way to hide all of that and allow some “neater” access as well as some (potentially) faster data streaming. If people cheat, so what? It's a testing environment and what they do in that world is irrelevant. In fact, you may even learn something from it. If they want your assets, they have them already — you agreed to hand them over when you allowed them into your testing environment. If you're afraid that people will look at your files and laugh, then it won't help because you can just extract them anyway. People have been doing so from day one and you can't stop them because you must grant them access to those files as part of allowing them to use your software.

Since they have exactly zero need for PAK files, they have zero need for delta patcher — they just need rsync. Their “delta patcher” problem is not a two-week job — it's a 5 second job that consists of “click on rsync download link.” They fail even at that. While I admit that it's perhaps not the most user-friendly utility there is, they still fail at using loving rsync. That's how utterly incompetent and stupid everyone related to software development and project management at CIG is.

…yes, this level of utterly headless fucktardness triggers me. :argh:
And these amateurs this gaggle of dribbling morons are trying to make an MMOFPS&FS. They're not even amateurs, because while it is often used in a derogatory way, that term still ultimately denotes someone who has some level of interest, insight, and competence, just not on a professional level.

Quality post.