Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Astrochicken posted:

I don't know where else to put this so i'll just throw this out there.

I've been using DS4Windows to use my ps4 controller on PC with no issues for years. I tried to play DS2 the other day after a few years hiatus and it doesn't work at all ingame now. only the trackpad thingie works as a mouse. Sekiro and DS1 Remastered have the same problem but the controller works perfectly in big picture mode on steam and it works in other games like street fighter 5.

I have scoured the google webs and come across different solutions but nothing has worked. I'm convinced its a simple fix but im dumb as a pile of rocks. Goons please help me. I want to reexperience the washed out drudgery of SOTFS.

Try plugging it in if it isn’t already. I had the same sudden loss of function on my last DS2 playthrough after years of it working. Would only work with a direct connection, not over bluetooth . No idea why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just opt in to the Steam beta client and you get to use their automatic controller identification system and should be able to use the controller without any other software

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Astrochicken posted:

I've been using DS4Windows to use my ps4 controller on PC with no issues for years. I tried to play DS2 the other day after a few years hiatus and it doesn't work at all ingame now. only the trackpad thingie works as a mouse. Sekiro and DS1 Remastered have the same problem but the controller works perfectly in big picture mode on steam and it works in other games like street fighter 5.

I have scoured the google webs and come across different solutions but nothing has worked. I'm convinced its a simple fix but im dumb as a pile of rocks. Goons please help me. I want to reexperience the washed out drudgery of SOTFS.

Press the "Stop" button in DS4windows and then "Start", to make sure that the controller is in exclusivity mode. It should look like this:

If there's red text in the bottom left corner, it won't work with DS2/SOTFS. Also check settings to see if the controller is hidden, as the DS4 should hidden be to work properly.

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 1, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Astrochicken posted:

Are you playing DS2 through Steam? Steam is auto compatible with PS4 controllers. I've played DS2 plenty with one that way. Like multijoe said though you might need to go into that obnoxious windowed steam client to configure your controller settings.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I've sometimes had to route controllers through Steam for non-Steam games before, since I've also got a PS4 controller and some older games wouldn't even recognize it as a joystick unless I piped it through Steam and had Steam pretend it was a 360 controller.

It is unfortunately much more complicated than it should be to just have like, a button that does it.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

when is the best time to do DLC ?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In the general direction of the endgame. Like I'd say about the time you have the King's Ring is when you can comfortably start thinking about it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Qmass posted:

when is the best time to do DLC ?

Once you're killing giant ghosts you're ready. Bring a bow for sunken king, you'll need it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

And Tyler Too! posted:

Once you're killing giant ghosts you're ready. Bring a bow for sunken king, you'll need it.

Sunken King gives you a +7 longbow really early in. Actually once you know the level, it’s fun to rush Sunken King and do it as early as possible, though I wouldn’t recommend that for the first time through.

Flynn’s Ring and puzzling stone sword is vicious against early game enemies.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Sunken King gives you a +7 longbow really early in. Actually once you know the level, its fun to rush Sunken King and do it as early as possible, though I wouldnt recommend that for the first time through.

Flynns Ring and puzzling stone sword is vicious against early game enemies.

that sword is so cool

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

shulva is a beautiful misery

I hoofed it down through the ghost knight area soon as I couldn't find their armor to break and then sprinted across the loving magic t-rex zone and luckily there was a bonfire there. But I have a sickness and I can't move on until I get all the items and that room with the spiked floor is such a bloody pain in the rear end. I wasted so much time slowly clearing everything in there before going down a side passage and pulling 3 at the same time... Is there armor to make all those guys corporeal ?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Qmass posted:

shulva is a beautiful misery

I hoofed it down through the ghost knight area soon as I couldn't find their armor to break and then sprinted across the loving magic t-rex zone and luckily there was a bonfire there. But I have a sickness and I can't move on until I get all the items and that room with the spiked floor is such a bloody pain in the rear end. I wasted so much time slowly clearing everything in there before going down a side passage and pulling 3 at the same time... Is there armor to make all those guys corporeal ?

You have to brave that room with the three in it to find the armor. Pulling them down to the spike area and climbing back up works well if you're not comfortable breaking the armor while they're chasing you. There's a shortcut before that room that makes it easier to clear the casters, too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Re: Spikes. Look up.

There's actually a key item or two around there as well, so it's actually a good thing you had the itch to go back and clear it out.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a place to farm aromatic ooze in non-sotfs base game

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Proletarian Mango posted:

Is there a place to farm aromatic ooze in non-sotfs base game

Use your best soul farm and buy from Gilligan. I don’t think there is a direct farm for ooze.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Looks like the only place to get them otherwise is from the dogs in the Gutter. Doubtful any sort of farming loop there is gonna beat just buying them.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

2nd DLC down and im sick of lightning murakumo and shield so I wanna swap to this Fume Ultra Greatsword - how do you build for this thing ?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
str

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Nah.

With that bullshit dexterity requirement you might as well go full quality build with 40 STR /40 DEX. Gives you some options, if you ever tire of the big black surfboard.
Everything else goes into stamina and hp stats + some carry capacity. poo poo is heavy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the req is obviously high but like, fume ugs has S strength scaling and D dex scaling. under any normal circumstances you don't want to take dex any higher than you need to with it and 30 dex is already enough to use a ton of stuff if you really want a big set of options

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I probably i am just the guy who wants options and never builds toons for a single weapon. (Outside of low level cosplay/theme builds)

With 40/40 i can stuff a lot of other boss weapons with big requirement like the big lance from the first DLC or the Loyce GS on them. Or just every STR/DEX weapon under the sun.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I think I hosed up starting a new DS3 character while wasting time on DLC and delaying finishing DS2. The combat is SO much more my speed in DS3. The iron king DLC really loving pissed me off in the end. Fume was a good fight but nothing in BB, DS3 or sekiro comes close to as anti-player as the corpse runs to sir alonne and blue smelter.

its been enjoyable overall but it really seems to me that this game was dated when it came out and I don't have the glasses to forgive it

edit: ok nevermind. I just got to burnt ivory king and... lol gently caress this game I managed to get to the boss but with the loving range on that sword plus constantly spewing out guys I dunno how anyone does this

edit2: in disgust I went to throne of want and killed the watchers 3rd try and then nashandra and aldia first try after that and now I can go and climb the mountain to the greatness that is ringed city bosses

Qmass fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 9, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I started playing the game a while back for the first time. My DS pedigree is beating DS3 some time ago sans the hidden lightning lord boss. I've been kinda trying to build a cleric type, used the mace for a good while and now looking like a clown (although will probably switch back to Archmage robes at some point).

Haven't followed a guide but did read up on some info on what stats do what since I'm not really a skilled theorycrafter. Something like "agility gives you more i-frames" isn't really mentioned anywhere either.

Someone linked me this build

https://fextralife.com/calculator/dks2builds.html?GmcAsUoU7.B2dHMnHNd.uCU8sCFi.RDYQKSPS.A.A.BKPyFkcS

and I've been naturally going towards a similar approach anyway. All the gear is probably later in the game, though, except for Grand lance which I don't seem to have. I have been using a lightning-infused Heide knight sword so far.

Currently my options are either Iron keep (which seemed like a tough place) or Shaded ruins which I'm exploring right now. Took a shot at the boss but was annihilated. What I would like to know in a non-spoiler way is: is there something I can do or find in this area to make the manscorpion talk to me?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There is something you can do to make him talk to you, but it isn't in that area and unless you are incredibly dedicated I'd suggest finding the appropriate spoilers

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Shalquoir might have an item that might get him to talk to you

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Oh God base Vigor, please put the next 10-20 levels into that or you'll suffer hard once you step into midgame

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Qmass posted:

edit: ok nevermind. I just got to burnt ivory king and... lol gently caress this game I managed to get to the boss but with the loving range on that sword plus constantly spewing out guys I dunno how anyone does this

You complete the quest for the Loyce Knights so they seal the portals for you. Then like pretty much every boss ever with a giant fuckoff weapon you get right up in his face so his range doesn't matter.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Qmass posted:

Videogames mod Videogames beat the ivory king 1st time on their first blind playthrough. Lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
In fairness, I am a luck elemental.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ivory King was the only boss I ever summoned for and given there's a covenant directly relating to it I think that's the intended method of play, just get the NPC Loyce Knights, summon all the phantoms you can and then go in for a big messy brawl

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ivory King owns.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Yeah I really liked that DLC. Other than reindeer zone of course, but even the 2 cat boss fight was fine.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd have swapped the Brums and Loyce DLCs so you get the gimmick brawl fight in the middle and the ultimate DS2 knight boss at the end but they're both cool fights

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I had an incident where the basilisks killed an NPC Ornifex

Though I killed 'em all, but some came in and boom. From what I gathered, the response was "it happens". So I assume all those weapons I was wanting to get are forever gone now?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I've had a lot of problems with a lot of things in dark souls games but I've never once had any trouble with the run to Alonne, it baffling to me. Just run past the enemies??

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I never had any trouble with the runback because I never died to him :grin:

I died to the encounter like five times before I reached him though

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Though I killed 'em all, but some came in and boom. From what I gathered, the response was "it happens". So I assume all those weapons I was wanting to get are forever gone now?

Yeah you're sol until the next ng cycle

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TeaJay posted:

Actually DS2 is the one game that has a sorta-remedy to it. A tombstone should eventually spawn where the NPC hangs out. It can take a few in-game hours, but one should show up. Then you can pay some souls to resurrect Ornifex as a ghost and make use of her shop for fire arrows or boss weapons. You'll have to pay the toll every time you want to use her, but really she's not that vital of an NPC, just stock up on boss souls and make some shopping trips there when she has something you want.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Actually DS2 is the one game that has a sorta-remedy to it. A tombstone should eventually spawn where the NPC hangs out. It can take a few in-game hours, but one should show up. Then you can pay some souls to resurrect Ornifex as a ghost and make use of her shop for fire arrows or boss weapons. You'll have to pay the toll every time you want to use her, but really she's not that vital of an NPC, just stock up on boss souls and make some shopping trips there when she has something you want.

I think that only works for people in tseldora but the info I looked up could be outdated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rubellavator posted:

I think that only works for people in tseldora but the info I looked up could be outdated

Resurrecting NPCs or do you mean Ornifex's shop? You can still resurrect her, but looking at the wikidot wiki, it does look like there's an added issue I didn't see before about Ornifex not offering weaponsmithing services if she's killed in the Shaded Ruins.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/gravestones