Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Anyone have any experience with DeltaMedia Type II tapes?

Was chatting with my mother in law about how I enjoy cassettes and she left the room and came back with a drat Tascam Portastudio 424 MKII to give me. :banjo:

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Picked up a set of Infinity 6 Kappa's the other day. Finally a good use for my NAD 218THX, shame I live in a lovely apartment, it seems like I could get a noise complaint very easily...

I had no idea that Infinity started out life as a super-high-end advanced audio company, I thought they made mid-range poo poo for Circuit City and my mom's Grand Voyager.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Just had my dad ship me his old Phillips 212 and while it’s generally in good condition it had this weird quirk where sometimes the belt drive just decides it doesn’t want to turn. I’ve been able to narrow it down to the motor and it seems like there’s a few positions where it seems to have some friction it can’t overcome? But then manually turning it a bit gets it going fine.

Any ideas of how to diagnose this further before I open it up to check the underside of the motor or see if maybe some caps in the board are bad? Replacements for the motor are like $20 on eBay so I’m not super worried, but would like to avoid a headache if I could just, like, lubricate it or something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

bradburypancakes posted:

Just had my dad ship me his old Phillips 212 and while it’s generally in good condition it had this weird quirk where sometimes the belt drive just decides it doesn’t want to turn. I’ve been able to narrow it down to the motor and it seems like there’s a few positions where it seems to have some friction it can’t overcome? But then manually turning it a bit gets it going fine.

Any ideas of how to diagnose this further before I open it up to check the underside of the motor or see if maybe some caps in the board are bad? Replacements for the motor are like $20 on eBay so I’m not super worried, but would like to avoid a headache if I could just, like, lubricate it or something.

Lube it first, but also buy a spare motor. You might have a dead spot and parts aren't gonna be any easier to come by when you need it.

Great turntable though.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Lube it first, but also buy a spare motor. You might have a dead spot and parts aren't gonna be any easier to come by when you need it.

Great turntable though.

Great, that's what I figured. Stumbled on https://organdonorparts.com/ and it seems to have what I need. That's a great looking turntable you've got, hopefully mine will be half as nice once I get it cleaned up. :)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

bradburypancakes posted:

Great, that's what I figured. Stumbled on https://organdonorparts.com/ and it seems to have what I need. That's a great looking turntable you've got, hopefully mine will be half as nice once I get it cleaned up. :)

lol actually I sold it back to the guy who sold it to me.
I've already got 5 other turntables so it's not like I NEED it. I also sold the HK Citations you see there, even though they were FANTASTIC.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Glad someone is taking care of 212s. I just threw out a cosmetically beautiful one I picked up at a flea market, but the belt had gotten so old it had liquefied and covered EVERYTHING under the platter. I tried cleaning it, but I just had to give up.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I found a mint Pioneer PL-7 turntable at savers for 4.99 today. Monday is 1/2 price day so it was only 2.50.

Tried turning it on and it would not spin. Tried turning the table by hand thinking it needed fresh grease and got nothing. Lifted up the mat and found the original transport screws/pads were still installed.

Took it to the checkout. The manager warned me that it was broken as her staff had tested it. She figured someone could use it for parts and told them to price it at $5. I explained what was wrong but she said $2.50 was all she would take for it and thanked me for the info for next time.

Popped out the screws and it works fine. A bit scratchy so I will need to clean the RCA cables and the connectors on the tonearm as I think there must be a bad connection somewhere. The weight and anti skate need to be calibrated but the autoplay features and motor work perfect.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

evobatman posted:

Glad someone is taking care of 212s. I just threw out a cosmetically beautiful one I picked up at a flea market, but the belt had gotten so old it had liquefied and covered EVERYTHING under the platter. I tried cleaning it, but I just had to give up.

That's really too bad. I feel like a bit of xylene would probably have taken care of this real quick.

my turn in the barrel posted:

I found a mint Pioneer PL-7 turntable at savers for 4.99 today. Monday is 1/2 price day so it was only 2.50.

Tried turning it on and it would not spin. Tried turning the table by hand thinking it needed fresh grease and got nothing. Lifted up the mat and found the original transport screws/pads were still installed.

Took it to the checkout. The manager warned me that it was broken as her staff had tested it. She figured someone could use it for parts and told them to price it at $5. I explained what was wrong but she said $2.50 was all she would take for it and thanked me for the info for next time.

Popped out the screws and it works fine. A bit scratchy so I will need to clean the RCA cables and the connectors on the tonearm as I think there must be a bad connection somewhere. The weight and anti skate need to be calibrated but the autoplay features and motor work perfect.

That's amazing!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If I'm looking to buy a specific album, is discogs.com a decent place to do so? They seem to have everything, for decent prices. Are sellers generally accurate and reliable? Better to go to eBay or some such?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I've never had a problem getting records through discogs, but sellers tend to over grade in my experience. Just check the seller's reviews before buying and you should be good to go.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Make sure you’re getting the right pressing/edition/whatever of the album you want.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Discogs is legit . Just check seller feedback and also read their terms, especially if you purchase international

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Picked up a defective Beosound Ouverture with Beolab 2500 speakers for $50. I think it's the fourth or fifth one I've owned.

Two swipes over the laser lens with a q-tip, and it plays perfectly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trying to decide whether to keep working on a turntable or cut my losses and sell it As-Is. Total investment is about $50 for the deck, replacement belt and a can of contact cleaner so not a huge amount of money by any means. It’s a MCS 6500 so a pleasant enough looking table that I’m sure can sound decent but nothing spectacular. Presume it’s Hitachi built in Japan in the 80s.

I’m still getting speed inconsistencies even after stripping and using the contact cleaner. Adjust the dial up and down isn’t the smooth gradient I kind of expect and locking the strobe in is difficult and I can’t get it to quite stabilize. Not sure if just more cleaner needed, I’m sure it’s a little better than when I started.

Stylus looked pretty hosed and I’m convinced it’s why I’m getting bad phasing problems. It’s off center to the cartridge.

Obviously this is where things can get expensive. I’d rather replace the whole head shell/cartridge/stylus out as a whole and was thinking the AT-VM95C/H kit that Audio Technica retail for $64 online if it’s compatible.

I’m just worried I’m gonna spend more than what I’ve spent so far and still not having a working setup. If I sold it, I’d probably put the money towards a new 120X. I doubt I’d get much tho, probably less than spent.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

inconsistent speeds like that is almost certainly bad caps

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think that's all the info I need, and to be honest not a surprise. I think I'm done then, my old housemate was the one who'd strip things down and resolder things in but it's not my forte as I'm the kind of person who can start a house fire with a screwdriver.

Time to use it as a display model until I replace then!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

ahaha hahahaha hahahaha

what a dipshit question

why are you asking about vintage gear in a decade old thread full of people who collect vintage gear?

ahahahahahahaha onkyo a9010 hahahahahaha
lol whelp this is one way to find out you’re looking at the wrong thread (also the a9010 rules sorry)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

lol whelp this is one way to find out you’re looking at the wrong thread (also the a9010 rules sorry)

Yeah it does. Sorry I was such a dick about it but getting something old for the fun of it rather than going with one of the several good cheap contemporary options for 2-channel audio on the market today is something we try not to necessarily talk people out of here unless it looks like it would be a real mistake or pain for them to go vintage. Like a lot of us could get a $200 Onkyo or Yamaha (and many of us have them too) and be done with it but part of the fun here is finding old weird pieces and saving them from the dumpster and whatnot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plunged for the AT 120X, am surprised to see very little in way of feedback for it given that it appears they started shipping them back in March (just slowly, presumably). At least what I read basically says that it's generally better than the old model, just some people unhappy with the lack of variable tone arm. I don't have any immediate desire to change it from stock, and if that ever happens I'm sure that others will have a concise list of what works well by then.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Electric Bugaloo posted:

part of the fun here is finding old weird pieces and saving them from the dumpster and whatnot.

Yeah

I found this guy with a criminally low subscriber count that restores cheapy 90s boomboxes back to immaculate condition. My favorite part is how he pressure washes everything even the PCBs. But he re-lubes everything afterwards too. Also a really neat trick I haven't seen before is using car wax on the old plastic to give it a super gloss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NafF2VQNWLg

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Just picked up a set of LA Scalas. Will post more pics as I get the new place set up.
Also pictured are some rediculous jbl parts that I'll post more pics of at some point. Going to have to make some custom cabinets for them though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Rules.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
the quality of those pictures leads me to believe your love of vintage gear also extends to cell phones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wolfbiker posted:

the quality of those pictures leads me to believe your love of vintage gear also extends to cell phones

Also carpeting.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I just feel like sharing. I have the Stranger Things LPs. They were pressed as off centre as all hell. The audio makes me queazy. It reminds me of the film reels they used to play to classes in primary school. Ergh.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh you must have the special edition that was pressed in the upside down.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So I just bought 1978 Klipsch La Scalas with ALK crossovers. I still can't quite get over how loving huge these things are.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DoesNotCompute posted:

So I just bought 1978 Klipsch La Scalas with ALK crossovers. I still can't quite get over how loving huge these things are.

Pics.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Seriously, I wanna see these in your house.

Also- now you have to source a tube amp to run them. I order you to get an Elekit 8200DK and post a build log.

La Scalas are one of those speakers that I’d love to be able to afford/justify/house at some point but I also get that they have a unique sound that kinda makes them a tough sell even if I could. Like if I was wealthy enough to have multiple setups in multiple homes or whatnot....

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Seriously, I wanna see these in your house.

Also- now you have to source a tube amp to run them. I order you to get an Elekit 8200DK and post a build log.

La Scalas are one of those speakers that I’d love to be able to afford/justify/house at some point but I also get that they have a unique sound that kinda makes them a tough sell even if I could. Like if I was wealthy enough to have multiple setups in multiple homes or whatnot....

So...they're going into the basement living room. Upstairs is a no-go. Pics for hilarity.

So far, listening impressions are "holy poo poo". The horns have been treated with dynamat to keep them from ringing and the ALK crossovers don't make them the ear-bleeders I was expecting. Jazz/blues are other worldly, normal rock is very good and I gave it a little volume on Around the World by Daft Punk and legitimately thought my chest was going to cave in. They're loving ridiculous and this is running off of a 35wpc NAD receiver that can't go past 1/3 volume without deafening the neighbours.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Wiener for scale.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha I literally took a photo of my room yesterday with ‘hound for scale’ to try and work out what my options are for rear speakers (obvs not for this thread).

All hounds are good.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

DoesNotCompute posted:

Wiener for scale.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha I literally took a photo of my room yesterday with ‘hound for scale’ to try and work out what my options are for rear speakers (obvs not for this thread).

All hounds are good.

NICE WOOFERS!
:downsrim:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Kenwood KA-9100

On the selector knob, AUX is all the way to the left. I have a BT adapter on this so I can play music on my phone through the stereo

My question is, it will occasionally only play through the right speaker and I have to push the knob further left for it to play both speakers.

This seems like it would be an easy fix, but if someone could help me walk me through it (if it IS a DIY fix) , I would appreciate it. It’s a minor annoyance at best and not worth $75 and driving an hour to have a tech fix it

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KAktm3Ym.jpg][/img]

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr.Caligari posted:

Kenwood KA-9100

On the selector knob, AUX is all the way to the left. I have a BT adapter on this so I can play music on my phone through the stereo

My question is, it will occasionally only play through the right speaker and I have to push the knob further left for it to play both speakers.

This seems like it would be an easy fix, but if someone could help me walk me through it (if it IS a DIY fix) , I would appreciate it. It’s a minor annoyance at best and not worth $75 and driving an hour to have a tech fix it

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/KAktm3Ym.jpg][/timg]

Try dexoit on the pot first. You might have to take the faceplate off

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And you mights we’ll do the whole lot if you’re going to do one, they’re all gonna end up like that anyway.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So the crossovers in the La Scalas were fully functional, with the right parts and based on what I've found the right wiring for the original ALK universals but they weren't really giving me the warm and fuzzies for aesthetics. So this is what I spent loving 5 hours on yesterday. New boards are cedar that I just had laying around and wanted an excuse to use the new thickness planer in my shop, going to replace the ancient autotransformers with Crites ones that give a few more options but that's 70 bux I'd rather spend later.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I picked up a set of marantz sp-1500s recently that need a bit of work. I know they aren't super well regarded, but it's a project :shrug:

Anyone out there that could help me out with a few parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Snagged some Klipsch kg 1.2 in Walnut Oil finish at Goodwill the other day

Do they count as vintage? I mean 1991 was like 30 years ago