Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Putrid Grin posted:

And yet the statement condemning the use of semicolons uses them nonetheless. Internet humor can sometimes be quite obtuse.

In other news I suck at portraits, but I keep on shooting them. I am bound to get better eventually. I hope.

_DSC7380 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

:lol: If you look closely :airquote: Somebody :airquote: hosed around with my post.

Her neck looks really kinda awkwardly hanging out at the bottom there. Nice tones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
A few from a roll of ilford and my Pentax MX

Work Life Balance
by Bud_lish, on Flickr

Princeton Man
by Bud_lish, on Flickr

Andrew
by Bud_lish, on Flickr

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

Aye yah, that sterno muscle :eyepop:

That's excellent. Looks like it could have been taken in the 50s or something, unless there's some tell with the bokeh or whatever that I'm not aware of.

This one has a perspective thing with a sparkler that I thought turned out good:

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Bud posted:

A few from a roll of ilford and my Pentax MX

Princeton Man
by Bud_lish, on Flickr

This is really nice but there is something weird about the grain, like there is a digital pattern to it, possibly from scanning? Which Ilford film and developer did you use?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

deaders posted:

This is really nice but there is something weird about the grain, like there is a digital pattern to it, possibly from scanning? Which Ilford film and developer did you use?

I don't know if you're seeing what I'm seeing, but it looks to me like there's a faint grid pattern all over the image. Usually that isn't from the scan itself, but an artifact from the scaling algorithms when you turn a big scan into a little web-size picture. It's particularly likely when you have an image with a large amount of slight random variation (e.g. film grain), and it's surprisingly hard to avoid.

The easy ways to avoid it are to fuss around with your resizing algorithms (using different algorithms in small steps seems to help), apply a little grain-softening blur to the full-size scan, or just take a low-res scan from the start.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Yep that is exactly it.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

Yond Cassius posted:

The easy ways to avoid it are to fuss around with your resizing algorithms (using different algorithms in small steps seems to help), apply a little grain-softening blur to the full-size scan, or just take a low-res scan from the start.

Thanks - I'll go back and play with the tiff and see if I can't remedy it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Yond Cassius posted:

I don't know if you're seeing what I'm seeing, but it looks to me like there's a faint grid pattern all over the image. Usually that isn't from the scan itself, but an artifact from the scaling algorithms when you turn a big scan into a little web-size picture. It's particularly likely when you have an image with a large amount of slight random variation (e.g. film grain), and it's surprisingly hard to avoid.

I have avoided this problem entirely by only resizing in integer divisions (1/2, 1/3, 1/4).

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

First time I've felt confident enough about my finished product to post them. Did I do alright?

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

iSheep posted:

First time I've felt confident enough about my finished product to post them. Did I do alright?

I like them.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I like them.

:agreed:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

*sets up lights* *adjusts stools* *puts a fill card in* *sets up backdrop* *brings in subject*

Johnene by francography, on Flickr

Welp :( Sometimes the subject is just not having it no matter what you do. Hopefully we can do a retry soon. At least she can look back at these photos and see how stubborn she was. Heh.

For reference: This is the same girl I shot years ago.

We wanted to continue the theme but just gotta get her in the right mood. :)

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 11, 2014

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Are you kidding? Grumpy magical hair split-tone is a unexploited niche, you could be making bulk cash with that look.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Maybe she's mad at you for posting naked pics of her as a child on the internet?

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

This is absolutely excellent.

I got to shoot a friend who has invested in chinese lighting and a backdrop for her studio.

TestShoot-20 by sildargod, on Flickr

I'm not sure about it. She's a big girl so finding any pose that was flattering was way more of a challenge than I had anticipated. Also the tones just don't work for me, but I can't find a simple fix that works throughout. Her face was very flushed in relation to the rest of her, so I'm at a loss.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Let's play Guess-That-Vocation

img012
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Upholsterer

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Definitely a stripper.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Well, by the pants I can tell he's not a tailor.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

7-14 year old Polacolor film.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

somnambulist posted:

*sets up lights* *adjusts stools* *puts a fill card in* *sets up backdrop* *brings in subject*

Hahaha, I'd actually be happy to have that if I was paying for a portrait. I'd rather have a well captured moment of my kid being really real than a well captured moment of my kid doing something they weren't feeling, because it would all come out in the picture.

sildargod posted:

TestShoot-20 by sildargod, on Flickr

I'm not sure about it. She's a big girl so finding any pose that was flattering was way more of a challenge than I had anticipated. Also the tones just don't work for me, but I can't find a simple fix that works throughout. Her face was very flushed in relation to the rest of her, so I'm at a loss.

She's very pretty. Would shooting with a focused, gel corrected flash at her face minimize the flushing color, maybe?

I know and could potentially shoot a couple of people close to me who are varying degrees of sensitive about their weight. Is there a posing guide somewhere that I could get a few points from, if just to say "So do x, and it will look like y", to get them to chill out?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

VendaGoat posted:

Well, by the pants I can tell he's not a tailor.

Wow I didn't think this would be so hard. He's a collector of fireman things obviously.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I like them.

Awesome. I am insanely jealous of how many gorgeous subjects you have shot. That has got to make for a solid portfolio. Are you friends with these girls or are they clients?

Thanks! :)

Here is another to add content to post:

VVV Is client not the right word?

iSheep fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 11, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

iSheep posted:

Awesome. I am insanely jealous of how many gorgeous subjects you have shot. That has got to make for a solid portfolio. Are you friends with these girls or are they clients?

Or is he the client? :)

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

iSheep posted:

Oh thanks! Some are friends. Some are tests with agency models. Some are girls from Model Mayhem.

ansel autisms posted:

Or is he the client? :)

Nah. I have paid models in the past when I was starting out, but haven't in a while. It's not a bad idea if you want to kick start a port.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 11, 2014

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

iSheep posted:

Cute date, but I dunno about the age difference.

somnambulist posted:

Welp :( Sometimes the subject is just not having it no matter what you do. Hopefully we can do a retry soon. At least she can look back at these photos and see how stubborn she was. Heh.

What are you talking about, this is amazing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

iSheep posted:

These are really nice. Color and exposure is pretty much perfect.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

iSheep posted:

Just noticed the piece in his mouth :3:
The smile on her face :kimchi:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah that's a great photo, the only thing that's wiggin' me out is her spray tan but everything on your end from composition and exposure looks good.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

Yeah that's a great photo, the only thing that's wiggin' me out is her spray tan but everything on your end from composition and exposure looks good.

Last two shoots I've done have involved a spray tanned girl. :sigh:

Also thanks everyone.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Nice job on the photos, can't say the same for the mom giving the kid that haircut... You did a good job of keeping the colours and exposure consistent across the set.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Edit != quote

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Met a friend for lunch and took a photo of him.

ABC, Kopitiam by alkanphel, on Flickr

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got volunteered to take staff portraits for my IT department, to replace the current style which is basically mugshot with P&S against a white wall. I ended up with the task because I'm the one with a decent camera. I've got a Nikon D5100 with a 50/1.8 and 35/1.8, so my current thought is to find a spot in the middle of the room with some servers in the background and open up the lens wide to blur some LEDs in the background, because nothing says IT more than blurry LEDs. Any other suggestions to make this not awful (though it can't be more awful than what we have now?)

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I got volunteered to take staff portraits for my IT department, to replace the current style which is basically mugshot with P&S against a white wall. I ended up with the task because I'm the one with a decent camera. I've got a Nikon D5100 with a 50/1.8 and 35/1.8, so my current thought is to find a spot in the middle of the room with some servers in the background and open up the lens wide to blur some LEDs in the background, because nothing says IT more than blurry LEDs. Any other suggestions to make this not awful (though it can't be more awful than what we have now?)

If you can, try to find some kind of light source that you can set up to cast loop, rembrandt, etc. Use distance to balance the light on your subject and with background. It'll give your subject a bit of dimension and separate them from the background. I've used a desk lamp with a piece of paper to diffuse it for some quick portraits before. It worked out decently.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Or find some nice window light.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
An IT department with windows? What is this sorcery?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah obviously you will have to persuade them to leave the basement first but it is worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gryphon
Apr 21, 2005
A friend had asked me to take some portraits for her recently and this is what we came out with.

I'm new to portraiture as well as post processing so critiques are welcomed

800_3742-Edit by yap its me e, on Flickr

800_3720-Edit by yap its me e, on Flickr

800_3689-Edit by yap its me e, on Flickr