Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've always thought Synecdoche NY is a really lyrical film, maybe not the most typically uplifting but there's something almost emotionally freeing about the situation and resolution. It's almost like existential catharsis. I remember coming out of it after seeing it for the first time and sitting down and looking up at the clouds for a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

It's very hard to predict how you're gonna respond to Synecdoche, New York. But if it hypes you up, it was Ebert's favourite movie of 2000-2009, so that's something.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ratedargh posted:

The Breakfast Club (1985) - Most popular movie of the decade on imdb. I expect its impact will be lessened since I never saw it when I was in high school.

Only one I've seen from your list but I find it enjoyable.

Before Sunset - This was a decent sequel that felt even more minimal than the first as there's even less interaction with others than in the first film IIRC. It's just constant talking between Jesse and Celine (Hawke and Delpy).

Jesse wrote a book about his one night with Celine and she happened to hear about it and decided to surprise him at a book signing. Some might think the films are completely believable and others may think they're preposterous. I find myself wavering between the two myself.

They're nine years older now and their conversation reflects this. It's more weary and wise compared to the first film. Philosophy, religion, ideology, memory and love might be the five main topics they discuss as they walk around Paris. Both have new lives with different partners (something that's not revealed until halfway through the film). The film ends on an uncertain note. Jesse has most likely missed his flight but what could happen next?

Julie Delpy has a song at the end of the credits that was actually pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGlnYUQXaUQ

Also watched:

Rebel Without a Cause - What a crazy first day at a new high school. Jim Stark (James Dean) is an unpredictable guy. He tries to be calm and avoid conflict but he's easily led astray many times. As I was watching the film I had to wonder why I was rooting for this guy and almost inclined to cheer his moments of temporary insanity. At times his character reminded of Marty McFly in Back to the Future.

I was reminded of high school fights I witnessed. One of my favorite stereotypes is the disaffected youth I've seen in a few 1950s films. Characters with the names of Crunch, Goon or Moose fit into that mold. This scene best exemplifies it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB17oq7hf20

Stark's mother and father also have a lot of issues. Jim seems to resent his father as he dotingly works around the house wearing a flowery apron. Most would probably classify him as being henpecked.

The climax occurs in the middle of the film when Buzz gets stuck in a stolen car in a game of chicken and goes over a cliff. Jim survives and Judy (Natalie Wood) then latches onto the new alpha male. They then form a relationship with the loner who goes by the nickname of Plato. Plato has a lot of problems and is even more unstable than Jim. He's killing animals and likes to tote a gun around when he goes out. In the other major moment things predictably go badly when Plato gets shot and killed by the police.

PS Having a few scenes set during a planetarium presentation was cool.

Procrastination (71 completed):

#67 Red Angel - Don't know much about this. 7/19/13

#68 Breakfast at Tiffany's - Never piqued my interest but it's on tons of lists. 8/5/13

#72 The Atalanta AKA L’Atalante - Another in the TSPDT top 20 I haven't seen. 8/29/13

#74 The Mirror - Another highly regarded Tarkovsky film. 9/6/13

#76 Jerry Maguire - I remember when this came out people were going around my high school for years screaming "SHOW ME THE MONEY!" as if it was the greatest sentence ever constructed in history. 9/7/13

#77 A Few Good Men - This is on my list for some reason. 9/22/13

#78 Tales of the Moon Obscured by Rainclouds AKA Ugetsu Monogatari - Another important one. 9/25/13

new #79 Pleasantville - Looks interesting but I haven't gotten to it yet. 10/1/13

new #80 Scream - Need to see this one. 10/1/13

James Herbert Bond versus James Tiberius Kirk:

Thunderball - I've heard mixed things about this one. 9/22/13

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Zogo, go watch Scream. I haven't seen it in over 15 years (jesus) but I remember it being fun.

I've really enjoyed following this thread, and it's about time I address my own shame.

Lawrence of Arabia -- I saw this when I was a kid, and I only remember a handful of scenes. I've been meaning to rewatch it for a very long time.

Godfather Pt. II -- I know, I know. I've owned this for many years now, and have just never felt like the time was right.

Blue Velvet -- From what I've heard, I think I am really going to like this one.

The Seventh Seal -- I hope I'm ready for this.

Five Easy Pieces -- Jack Nicholson orders a sandwich in this one, right?

Aguirre, The Wrath of God -- Only seen a bit of Herzog, and I want more. I also heard that he held the lead actor at gunpoint to prevent him from fleeing the film.

They Live -- A cult classic that I missed.

Out of the Past -- I haven't seen much noir, but seeing Brick recently has kindled my interest.

Showgirls -- Trainwreck? Also, Glenn Plummer.

Spring Breakers -- The Harmony Korine films I've seen were extremely uncomfortable (and powerful), I want to see what his "mainstream" offering is all about.

Vormav
Jan 28, 2005

Gaggins posted:

The Seventh Seal -- I hope I'm ready for this.

Let's find out!

I've been following this thread on-and-off for a couple years now and it's been a joy to read. I can only imagine it will also be a joy to participate! I own all the movies on my list but (shame!) have not watched them yet:

Fanny & Alexander (1982) - Don't really know what this is about, but I've loved every Ingmar Bergman movie I've seen so far. I have the Criterion miniseries version.

La Grande Illusion (1937) - Haven't seen anything by Renoir yet. Orson Welles told Dick Cavett that this was one film he would save for posterity.

Who's That Knocking at My Door (1967) - I've seen Hard Eight, Blood Simple, and Following, and though they're often rough I enjoy seeing a director's early work to contrast it with their later experience.

Serpico (1973) - I need to see more early Pacino.

Synecdoche, New York (2008) - I like Charlie Kaufman as a writer, but how is he as a director?

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - Yep, it's on my list too.

A Face in the Crowd (1957) - Like Network but in the 50s and with radio. Or so I seem to think.

Werckmeister Harmonies (2000) - What's all this hullabaloo about Bela Tarr?

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) - I know virtually nothing about this other than it's a horror film, it's silent, and it was the subject of a joke on Portlandia.

Dead Poets Society (1989) - This has been recommended to me a few times by people who weren't on the internet when they did so.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

DetoxP posted:

It's very hard to predict how you're gonna respond to Synecdoche, New York. But if it hypes you up, it was Ebert's favourite movie of 2000-2009, so that's something.

He almost put it on his Sight & Sound Top 10 of all time list last year, but opted for Tree of Life instead. Personally I think he made the wrong call.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Vormav posted:

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - Yep, it's on my list too.

Start here.

Scream - I was tricked. I thought I had things figured out but they changed with some kind of reverse bait-and-switch maneuver. Usually I find that films start strong and progressively get worse but this went against that trend. The last 20-25 minutes were the best.

The opening kill was gruesome but I can't say I was ever on the edge of my seat. I found it to be a lot funnier than scary and maybe that was the point. A killer phone creep asking horror trivia questions was pretty funny as was the mask.

I remember this time period well and this was when cell phones were becoming more common. This trepidation about "the killer using a cell phone!" seems funny now. I think 6+ billion people have them today so kids these days will find that to be artifactual.

The high school teenagers were almost too annoying (Jamie Kennedy and Matthew Lillard).

Procrastination (71 completed):

#67 Red Angel - Don't know much about this. 7/19/13

#68 Breakfast at Tiffany's - Never piqued my interest but it's on tons of lists. 8/5/13

#72 The Atalanta AKA L’Atalante - Another in the TSPDT top 20 I haven't seen. 8/29/13

#74 The Mirror - Another highly regarded Tarkovsky film. 9/6/13

#76 Jerry Maguire - I remember when this came out people were going around my high school for years screaming "SHOW ME THE MONEY!" as if it was the greatest sentence ever constructed in history. 9/7/13

#78 Tales of the Moon Obscured by Rainclouds AKA Ugetsu Monogatari - Another important one. 9/25/13

#79 Pleasantville - Looks interesting but I haven't gotten to it yet. 10/1/13

Roger Ebert died recently so I'll tackle his #1s.

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (26/46 completed):

new 2008 Synecdoche, New York - Don't know much about this. 10/3/13

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo posted:

Roger Ebert died recently so I'll tackle his #1s.

new 2008 Synecdoche, New York - Don't know much about this. 10/3/13

Have you seen his Great Movies collection? That might be a better way to tackle his favorites since he was always wary of ranked lists. Although Synecdoche, New York is great. Then again, it's 20 movies compared to the several hundred in his Great Movies collection.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 4, 2013

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Zogo, go with The Mirror

Cabaret didn't grab me until about halfway in. I think it was the overall annoying-ness of Liza Minelli's character. She was just so grating and self centered which I know was the point. I didn't really like any of her musical numbers but loved the other numbers performed by Joel Gray. While this isn't quite the tour de force that All That Jazz is, it still is very well made and I had fun time with it.

1) A Fistful of Dollars- another Kurosawa adaptation as a western
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) Around The World in 80 Days- working on the Best Picture list
4) Five Easy Pieces- another important 70s film I've yet to see
5) Gun Crazy- mmmm 1950s noir
6) To Live and Die in L.A.- this seems right up my alley
7) Stalag 17- I love all the Wilder I've seen so far
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Swing Time- last musical on the AFI top 100 I haven't seen
10) The Great Dictator- more Chaplin

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Have you seen his Great Movies collection? That might be a better way to tackle his favorites since he was always wary of ranked lists. Although Synecdoche, New York is great. Then again, it's 20 movies compared to the several hundred in his Great Movies collection.

Yea, I've got a lot left to go on that list and I don't mind ranked lists. There were a few duds in the Best Picture list but I didn't mind too much because I just wanted to be able to say that I'd seen all of them. After finishing the IMDb 250 I've been inclined to work on more static lists that can't be changed much. This Ebert #1 list seems to have a good mixture of really well-known films and a dozen or so films that I haven't heard mentioned really ever in my "movie sphere."

I haven't had the urge to work on a huge list yet. The TSPDT list is daunting and intimidating. It seems like a 10-15 year commitment.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

4) Five Easy Pieces- another important 70s film I've yet to see

I keep getting you, Mistletoe Donkey. I just saw Five Easy Pieces and now you will too.

Robot & Frank was ok. The screenplay was good, the direction was awful. I think they were trying to go for subtlety but instead it came off as disjointed and lazy. I am not a Frank Langella fan and this didn't make me warm to him. It could have been a lot better. (6.5/10)

From the IMDB Top 250: 12 Angry Men (1957)
From the Netflix Top 100: Robot & Frank (2012) Mud (2012)
From the Janus Arthouse Essential Collection: Umberto D. (1952)
In memoriam, From Roger Ebert's Top Films of All Time List: Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)
Best Movies of All Time based on the Tomatometer (sigh) Score: Aruitemo Aruitemo (Still Walking) (2008)
AFI 100 Years 100 Movies: City Lights (1931)
List of films considered the best, Wikipedia: La Règle du Jeu (1939)
The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made, NY Times: The King of Marvin Gardens (1972)
Best 100 Movies Ever Made, TIME Magazine: Nayakan (1987)
The 500 Greatest Moves of All Time, Empire Online: Andrei Rublev (1969)

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

York_M_Chan, 12 Angry Men is awesome. See this.

The Bridge on the River Kwai. Very good movie. Alec Guiness was great. Interesting story about someone losing sight of the big picture, through his pride and ego.

My List:
A Beautiful Mind - Looking forward to seeing this.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

The Kid - More Chaplin please.

Enter the Dragon - Like Errol Flynn until recently, never saw a Bruce Lee movie either.

Horse Feathers - Time for another Marx Brothers movie.

Despicable Me - I know Despicable Me 2 is coming out, but I still need to see the original

The Bad Sleep Well - Having just seen Kurosawa's version of MacBeth, his version of Hamlet is next.

Fiddler on the Roof - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

The Wolf Man - Next in my monster movie queue.

Rear Window - I think I may have seen this when I was a kid, but I really don't remember it.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Dmitri Russkie, try A Beautiful Mind.

I have to admit, it actually took me more than one try to watch The Bicycle Thief in one sitting. Something about it just really didn't connect with me and I can't really explain it that well; from after Antonio's bike gets stolen until probably the scene at the arena where he tries to steal someone else's bike just kind of fell flat to me, like I was just kind of watching things happen. I did absolutely love the last twenty minutes or so, and I think if I watched it again, it'd be more interesting to think of it as a pretty bleak coming of age story for Bruno.

The list:

1. Broken Blossoms - I've never seen a D.W. Griffith film (with the exception of some of the racist half of Birth of a Nation)

2. Sherlock, Jr. - Buster Keaton :3:

3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I was supposed to watch this for a class, but I was already behind in watching things for that class and kind of never got around to it.

4. The Parallax View - I like 70s movies and conspiracies; how could I go wrong?

5. 8 1/2 - The premise seems really self-indulgent, but it's also considered a classic by pretty much everyone.

6. Upstream Color - I missed this in theaters! I'm kind of afraid I won't "get" it, but I've heard so many good things about it that I really shouldn't care.

7. Valhalla Rising - Another one I missed in theaters, and I've wanted to watch more Refn.

8. The Brother From Another Planet - I remember a professor mentioning this in college and I really like the premise.

9. In The Mood For Love - I haven't seen much Chinese cinema and apparently it's the highest listed 21st century film on the TSPDT list

10. Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry - I've heard really good things about this and I should probably actually watch documentaries.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

5. 8 1/2 - The premise seems really self-indulgent, but it's also considered a classic by pretty much everyone.

Next choice for you.

The Mirror - I found this one mostly confusing, perplexing and overly narrative at times. I felt like I was stuck inside the head of an insane person. Kind of like a Russian The Tree of Life. The film frequently switches between B/W and color. Are these dreams, memories, memories of a ghost or hallucinations or all of the above?

Also Watched:

Jerry Maguire - It's a story that I haven't seen told oft and the cast of characters in the film stood out for the most part but I didn't find the overall story to be that compelling or evoking. I felt like they were going for an inspirational angle/payoff at the end but I just didn't care. It was somewhat interesting to see the struggles of athletes and their agents for a change though.

This was the prosperous 1990s so they had to make Jerry make a big bold mistake for him to be fired.

PS There's a ton of cameos from sports-related people.

Red Angel - Raw, powerful and brutal begin to describe what this encapsulates. I always like when a film leaves an impression especially when I haven't heard much about it before (merely 733 votes on IMDb). It takes place during the Second Sino-Japanese War (China vs. Japan just as WWII was beginning). It's about the brutality of war but there's a steady undercurrent of sexuality throughout. That's what makes it kind of a war horror movie.

Sakura Nishi is a Japanese nurse living a nightmarish vocation. She's one of the more interesting characters I've seen in a long while. Not only is she pulling bullets out of people continuously and holding down casualties as limbs are being graphically cut off but she's raped and abused by soldiers who have lost their minds. Later she considers it necessary to become a sexual outlet for some of the limbless and damaged soldiers in the hospitals. Even after all of this she still harbors guilt for three people she feels she's inadvertently led to death. Truly the ideal nurse and not a typical character.

Doctor Okabe is the other main character. He's a good doctor but feels limited and muses that things are upside down in wartime. He's impotent due to a morphine addiction. He's eventually called deeper into mainland China to work at an important outpost (Nishi follows him). It's suspected that the Chinese have infected some of the villagers with cholera so that the whole encampment will eventually be infected. Things don't progress well and by the end even the nurses and surgeons are picking up weapons as death approaches.

Side notes:

-Another thing going for it is that it's chock-full of memorable quotes.

-I've read that military personnel sorting decapitated corpses and trying to put body parts back together like jigsaw puzzles usually become antiwar after a few weeks on the job.

-The trailer starts out being oddly cheery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHBcmBfZPM

Procrastination (75 completed):

new Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Something about 1980s whales. 10/12/13

2008 Synecdoche, New York - Don't know much about this. 10/3/13

new 2007 Juno - Ellen Page is pregnant. I remember thinking it looked similar to Saved! (2004). 10/12/13

new 2003 Monster - Based on a true story. 10/12/13

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

Jerry Maguire - It's a story that I haven't seen told oft and the cast of characters in the film stood out for the most part but I didn't find the overall story to be that compelling or evoking. I felt like they were going for an inspirational angle/payoff at the end but I just didn't care.

Oh man, this made me laugh. http://youtu.be/ybHnPg7QLH4?t=3m30s

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Zogo, I'm giving you Juno.

It took nearly two months, but I finally watched Miller's Crossing. It was good, but I didn't like it as much as I hoped. It was difficult to follow sometimes. The plot reminded me of A Fistful of Dollars. Gabriel Byrne's accent was kind of weird. Marcia Gay Harden was smokin hot. I was hoping Jon Polito would ambush Tom with a sock full of pennies but it didn't happen.

The List:

1. Oklahoma!: I am not big on musicals at all but I live in Oklahoma and have been told that it is some kind of crime against humanity that I haven't seen this.

2. The Wild Bunch: I've never seen a Peckinpah movie.

3. City of God: This is about Brazilian slums or something, I think.

4. Cool Hand Luke: I guess society has "failed to communicate" how much I should watch this movie :downsrim:

5. Paths of Glory: More Kubrick

6. A Fish Called Wanda: I have no idea what this is but it's supposed to be good.

7. North Dallas Forty: I've been told that this is the best football movie ever made. I like football and movies.

8. The King's Speech: I borrowed this from the library a few weeks ago but the DVD was scratched and gave out halfway through. I liked what I did see, though.

NEW 9. Psycho: I watched the first half of this in a high school class and never got to finish it.

10. The Artist: I saw 10 minutes of this once and rolled my eyes pretty hard at it but I should probably give it another chance.

Watched (40): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

6. A Fish Called Wanda: I have no idea what this is but it's supposed to be good.

One of my favorite comedies.

Juno - I think I would've enjoyed this more if I hadn't been very familiar with the MTV series known as 16 and Pregnant. It seems like that reality show closely copied the design and aesthetic of this film. I'm typically not a big fan of acoustic guitar.

I still found many things to chuckle at. I think Juno came across overly flippant at times.

PS there's a lot of music, film and TV references.

Procrastination (75 completed):

new #81 Repo Man - I keep hearing about this one. 10/17/13

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Something about 1980s whales. 10/12/13

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (27/46 completed):

2003 Monster - Based on a true story. 10/12/13

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Zogo, you get to watch Repo Man because I want to know if it's worth seeing.

I'm not sure why it took me so long to get around to seeing A Fistful of Dollars. It was a good movie, and along with being the shortest of the three films, had probably the simplest plot of the trilogy. A guy comes into town, plays two sides against each other and with all the actions I've come to expect from these films saves a woman and her family, shoots a bunch of dues, and makes a lot of money in the process. While I think The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is definitely my favorite of the three films, I'm glad to finished the trilogy and get something to talk about with my Grandfather this Christmas.

The List of Shame:

Doctor Zhivago: Let's keep this guy's movies coming.

The Dawn Patrol: A movie about fighter pilots in WWI, seems cool to me.

Cool Hand Luke: A cool dude with a good, if expensive, brand of food.

Tokyo Story: A classic I've never gotten around to seeing.

The American Astronaut: Goons in the "I saw a film" thread seem to like this one.

Gates of Heaven: I heard this was (one of?) Roger Ebert's favorite movies about mortality. R.I.P. big guy :smith:.

Rosemary's Baby: This is a classic and was referenced in Mad Men and is probably actually relevant sometimes. Hopefully it's good, but this one is so I can say I've seen it.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest: I should see this one at some point, it's about a crazy guy and is kinda disturbing, right?

The Act of Killing: It looks like a very interesting documentary, in case you want me to watch something emotionally charged.

The Pianist: I haven't seen this movie and it was used as an example of something that had no reason for it in a movie. Help me prove Rubber wrong!

De-shamed(19): The Thin Red Line(8/10), Casablanca(9/10), Lawrence of Arabia(9.5/10), For a Few Dollars More(7.5/10), Goodfellas (4/10), The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (7.5/10), Stalker (8/10), Battleship Potemkin (6/10), Starship Troopers (6.5/10), Blade Runner (7.5/10), The Godfather: Part II (9/10), Se7en (7/10), The Boondock Saints (2.5/10), Space Mutiny(MST3k) (8/10), The Bridge on the River Kwai (8.5/10), Enter The Dragon (7.5/10), Rubber(1.5/10), Lost in Translation (5.5/10), A Fistful of Dollars (7/10),

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 18, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ixtlilton, you should watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest because it's the only one from your list I've seen and also it is fantastic.

A Fish Called Wanda is a decent enough 80's comedy. Kevin Kline's character is among the most punchable movie characters I've ever seen. There were some great scenes but some of the jokes felt a bit cliched. Michael Palin's scenes were probably the funniest for me.

The List:

1. Oklahoma!: I am not big on musicals at all but I live in Oklahoma and have been told that it is some kind of crime against humanity that I haven't seen this.

2. The Wild Bunch: I've never seen a Peckinpah movie.

4. Cool Hand Luke: I guess society has "failed to communicate" how much I should watch this movie :downsrim:

5. Paths of Glory: More Kubrick

NEW 6. The Life Aquatic: I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie.

7. North Dallas Forty: I've been told that this is the best football movie ever made. I like football and movies.

8. The King's Speech: I borrowed this from the library a few weeks ago but the DVD was scratched and gave out halfway through. I liked what I did see, though.

9. Psycho: I watched the first half of this in a high school class and never got to finish it.

10. The Artist: I saw 10 minutes of this once and rolled my eyes pretty hard at it but I should probably give it another chance.

Watched (41): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing, A Fish Called Wanda

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The List:

NEW 6. The Life Aquatic: I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie.

Go with City of God.

While I am biased as I don't particularly like Wes Anderson's films, I would strongly suggest not starting with The Life Aquatic.

12 Angry Men ... I mean it's good and all. I am pretty sure I read the play a while back or watched the ending in a film study class. The acting was great and picturing Piglet on the jury was wonderful. I like "simple" films like this but something was missing. I have a feeling that had I need not seen a hundred films that ripped this film off, then this would be more fresh. (7/10)

From the IMDB Top 250: 12 Angry Men Seven Samurai 1954 (I have seen so much Kurosawa that I always assumed I'd seen this. But I don't think I have.)
From the Netflix Top 100: Mud (2012)
In memoriam, From Roger Ebert's Top Films of All Time List: Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)
Best Movies of All Time based on the Tomatometer (sigh) Score: Aruitemo Aruitemo (Still Walking) (2008)

Completed Assignments: Mad Max, The Conversation, Tombstone, Diabolique, The Last Picture Show, Fanny and Alexander, Dawn of the Dead, The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly, Bridge on the River Kwai, Robot & Frank, 12 Angry Men

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 18, 2013

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
York M Chan, watch Seven Samurai as it is a masterpiece

Five Easy Pieces was just a drat fine film. It was hard to watch in the beginning because Nicholson's character is such an rear end in a top hat that he's hard to watch. But the last five minutes, are just heartbreaking and amazing to watch. It's always weird to watch young Nicholson, because now he seems like he's been playing the same caricature of himself for years. For some reason though, all of his early stuff still holds up and seems fresh. He just owns this movie.

4) The Nightmare Before Christmas- it's that time of year and everyone I know has seen this
6) To Live and Die in L.A.- this seems right up my alley

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces

Bungdeetle
Sep 25, 2009

Oh God, the Lord, the strength of my salvation, Thou hast covered my head in the day of battle.
Mistletoe Donkey: There are only two films in that list I have heard of, and only one out of the two that I have seen. Picking for you is the same as throwing a dart at the board. So, without further ado, I pick for you, To Live and Die in L.A.

Now for my shameful list.

Bambi - I had a deprived childhood. Rather, I deprived myself because when I found a movie I liked I watched that one, and only that one, over and over, depriving me of the chance to see new things. Around that age my movie of choice was Lion King.

Downfall - I am ashamed about not seeing this movie in the same way I am ashamed about knowing very little about modern history. Maybe watching this will kill two birds with one stone!

Some Like It Hot - People have gone on about Marylin Monroe being an icon and a genius. How can I appreciate that when I have never seen any of her work?

Seven Samurai - No idea why I haven't seen this yet, seems right up my alley.

Full Metal Jacket - I only saw the beginning when we watched it in history class. Then the class was over and I haven't seen the rest since. Everyone is always asking if I've seen it and I cannot say yes.

Annie Hall - Have never seen a Woody Allen movie, yet used to be obsessed with Christopher Walken.

The Usual Suspects - I don't really get much value out of these light-hearted farcical romps about criminals. Probably should see it, though.

Terminator - Srsly.

The Great Dictator - See "Some Like It Hot", replace Marilyn Monroe with Charlie Chaplin.

Metropolis - Uncultured boob.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Bungdeetle posted:

Bambi - I had a deprived childhood. Rather, I deprived myself because when I found a movie I liked I watched that one, and only that one, over and over, depriving me of the chance to see new things. Around that age my movie of choice was Lion King.

This is actually the only movie on your list I have seen, so I guess it'll have to do.

My list could include most of what was on Bungdeetle's list, but also:

Dr. Zhivago - This is especially shameful for me since I'm actually named after one of the characters in the film (apparently that's how a lot of people with my name got theirs, too.) I did see a small part of the remake, but I don't think that counts. I also plan on reading the book, someday.

Wall-E - I love Pixar, and it really does look like a beautiful film.

Citizen Kane - I just keep wanting to watch it, since it suppose to be one of those pivotal films or something.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - just another film I really would like to see.

Godfather - What so great about it? I dunno, I've never seen it. :shrug:

Casablanca - Another classic.

The Seven Samurai - A few people have this on their list. I've heard of it, but I don't know anything about it.

Scareface

Train-spotting

Fight Club

Old Boy

Really there are plenty of films I haven't seen that I would like to, and it's really hard to write exactly why I haven't seen them. Laziness?
Sorry that I ran out of actual explanations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
shadowvine118, you get to watch Wall-E, which is probably my very favourite Pixar film.

I actually watched Citizen Kane ages ago, but I just couldn't think of anything to say about it. Infact, I couldn't think of anything to say about it to such an extent that my last post in this thread was over 3000 posts ago. I never watched it again either, but eventually I managed to put into words how I feel about Citizen Kane. It's a pretty stock film and nothing special, only really worth watching for novelty value or as a piece of movie history. It doesn't even have that old movie charm that makes so many silent era features and early talkies into timeless classics. What it is, however, is unmistakebly modern. In a hypothetical situation where you could turn the movie into full color and show it to someone who has never heard anything about Citizen Kane, you'd have no issues fooling them into thinking it was made last year. This one movie seems to have defined modern cinema to a point where it's own brilliance is drowned under the further exploits of later works that used it as a foundation. After all, that rickety little thing the Wright brothers built ain't exactly no 747. Still, to be seen now, today, and taken for what it is, I can't really give it more than a respectful 8.0. It's impact to cinema may be insurmountable but it's impact to me is, well, meh.

#8. Ran Despite liking Kurosawa's B/Ws, this movie has always flown under my radar.

#11. Amélie A movie about a french girl which is supposedly very sweet. Oh boy.

#12. The Birds If nothing else came of my lukewarm reception of Psycho, it did get me to want to see more Hitchcock "classics" I've missed, if only to see wether they are as disappointing.

#13. The Great Escape Steve McQueen escapes (probably) from a prison camp. Not my favourite of plot lines, even with Steve.

#14. Rosemary's Baby Constantly mentioned in the horror thread. I'm a pretty big lover of non-slasher horror yet have miraculously managed not to ever even hear of this film.

No longer shameful: The Shawshank Redemption (9.0); The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (9.5); 12 Angry Men (8.5); Apocalypse Now (7.0); Singin' in the Rain (9.0); Schindler's List (9.0); Psycho(7.5); Rain Man (7.2); Citizen Kane (8.0)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hra Mormo posted:

#13. The Great Escape Steve McQueen escapes (probably) from a prison camp. Not my favourite of plot lines, even with Steve.

Try this next.

Repo Man - This wasn't your typical film and it was kind of a more sane twin to another odd and funny 1984 film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. Harry Dean Stanton and Emilio Estevez play repo men. I had an uncle who did that for a while on people who were renting cars from a company. It's always done at night to avoid confrontations (something those repo shows on TV get wrong).

The story gets more outlandish as time goes on. By the end the 1964 Malibu is glowing and flying around.

The DVD had an interesting interview with Stanton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hDtHjksVNw

Also watched:

Thunderball - This is the first film of the series that felt needlessly long and it's becoming harder to separate the films from one other (I can't believe there are still 21 films that follow this). I feel like I'm watching the same general outline unfold with some minor rearrangements and different characters (maligned horror series and sequels get the shaft for having the same familiar villain but even their plots are more whimsical than the Bond series thus far). Couple that with the fact that Bond is immortal and invincible and it just doesn't add up to a compelling story.

By this point of the series 100% of people should know that Bond is going to get out of every entanglement, snog with ~10 allied/enemy women at opportune and inopportune times and then defeat the villain. M will be rebuffed by him, Q will have some cool new gadgets, the lazy and incompetent CIA agent (Felix Leiter) will make an appearance...I could go on but you get the picture.

Whereas Bond could've been classified as a suave ladies man in some of the earlier films he comes across like a borderline insane sex addict in this one. Miami is in imminent danger of being blown up by a nuclear bomb and Bond is having underwater SCUBA sex? I haven't read any of the novels but I have to wonder how he's portrayed in them.

Largo seems like the most believable (or at least relatable) villain yet. He doesn't seem to have any grand or insane ideological bent or a ridiculous scheme. Stealing a few nuclear bombs and demanding a straightforward ransom seems sensible.

Side notes:

-I still like the bond openings.

-I now understand more Austin Powers references. I now see that Arnold Schwarzenegger took some of Bonds mannerisms as well.

-Bond would probably be sued for sexual harassment today.

-The giant underwater skirmish near the end was confusing as it seemed like there were 100+ people fighting.

Procrastination (76 completed):

new #82 I Am Cuba AKA Soy Cuba - Been on my radar awhile. 10/22/13

new #83 A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - Of the twenty films in the NoES and Ft13th series this is the only one I haven't seen. Seasonal due diligence. 10/22/13

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (27/46 completed):

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm starting anew. Haven't been here for a long time.

Zogo, check out L'Atalante. I don't get the hype for it, but I'm interested in your opinion.

My new list

400 Blows - More Truffaut.
Battleship Potemkin - Important silent era film.
Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - Important silent era/horror film.
Dr. No - Never seen a Bond film.
Fitzcarraldo - More Herzog.
High and Low - More Kurosawa.
Persona - Love Bergman. No excuse.
Repulsion - Polanski. Horror.
Stalker - Need to get into Tarkovsky.
Vampyr - Classic horror.

Bungdeetle
Sep 25, 2009

Oh God, the Lord, the strength of my salvation, Thou hast covered my head in the day of battle.
*puts on blindfold and throws a turd at the wall*

Stalker!

Saw Bambi. The wonderful thing about cartoons is you don't need a complicated plot, you can just sit there and appreciate the art. I remember that I've actually seen some of it, but I was probably too young and walked off drooling to do something more interesting. I probably appreciate it more as an adult, than I would have as a kid.
It's not as tragic as people have made it out to be. Bambi's mother gets shot and the forest gets burnt down, sure, but then life in the movie just goes on. It has a much more uplifting message. Nature is resilient. The cycle of life continues on around any destruction that happens within it.
I liked the owl most.

List update:

Downfall - I am ashamed about not seeing this movie in the same way I am ashamed about knowing very little about modern history. Maybe watching this will kill two birds with one stone!

Some Like It Hot - People have gone on about Marilyn Monroe being an icon and a genius. How can I appreciate that when I have never seen any of her work?

Seven Samurai - No idea why I haven't seen this yet, seems right up my alley.

Full Metal Jacket - I only saw the beginning when we watched it in history class. Then the class was over and I haven't seen the rest since. Everyone is always asking if I've seen it and I cannot say yes.

Annie Hall - Have never seen a Woody Allen movie, yet used to be obsessed with Christopher Walken.

The Usual Suspects - I don't really get much value out of these light-hearted farcical romps about criminals. Probably should see it, though.

Terminator - Srsly.

The Great Dictator - See "Some Like It Hot", replace Marilyn Monroe with Charlie Chaplin.

The Princess Bride - Dunno, everyone seems to think it's funny.

Unashamed: Bambi

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Bungdeetle, I had kind of a hard time figuring out which one to give you since there are three on your list I feel like you really should watch. That said, I'm giving you The Princess Bride because it's very good, and very entertaining movie.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest was a pretty cool movie with a lot of big name actors. McMurphy immediately comes off as off-kilter and violent, definitely like he could use the time he gets in the institution. Nurse Ratched was terrible at her job from her first appearance, even without McMurphy doing anything she had very little control over the group discussion. As the movie goes on, and as The Chief references, she does seem to take more of a "battle of attrition" style to getting cooperation. It also doesn't seem like she really has their best interests at heart and just likes having power and breaking people.

As the movie progresses we see McMurphy get up to all kinds of crazy antics, gambling, not taking his medication, getting everyone to vote to watch the World Series, escaping and stealing a bus and a boat for a fishing trip, and finally bringing girls and booze to the hospital, among other things. Strangely enough, most of his plans end up working on some level, and it seems like his manic approach to treating the patients like they're regular people works out; Nurse Ratched's authority is undermined and everyone feels freer. However, it is easy to see that the patients' problems are real, and most of them voluntarily stay because they know it, but it's not these problems that cause the tragedies of the latter parts of the movie so much as how they're dealt with. The concrete and impersonal rules of the hospital are doing them little good, but they can't function in the real world. McMurphy's appearance gives another option, but the clash between him and Nurse Ratched serves only to bring the full force of the system to bear upon the patients, leaving Billy to commit suicide rather than face his mother, and McMurphy to be mercy-killed by The Chief before his escape.

In the end it seems to be a movie about flawed men in a flawed system trying to do the best they can, and while the movie is not entirely happy, the ending certainly has some hope for the future as The Chief finally faces his problems and takes his life in his own hands. The biggest question the movie leaves me with is why didn't he escape? Perhaps he just gets caught up in the party and falls asleep in a drunken stupor. But then why doesn't he climb out of the window given the opportunity the next morning? It definitely a choice, but I can't figure out why he would do it unless he just doesn't think he can make it on the outside, or doesn't want to abandon his fellow patients.

The List of Shame:

Doctor Zhivago: Let's keep this guy's movies coming.

The Dawn Patrol: A movie about fighter pilots in WWI, seems cool to me.

Cool Hand Luke: A cool dude with a good, if expensive, brand of food.

Tokyo Story: A classic I've never gotten around to seeing.

The American Astronaut: Goons in the "I saw a film" thread seem to like this one.

Gates of Heaven: I heard this was (one of?) Roger Ebert's favorite movies about mortality. R.I.P. big guy :smith:.

Rosemary's Baby: This is a classic and was referenced in Mad Men and is probably actually relevant sometimes. Hopefully it's good, but this one is so I can say I've seen it.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb: It's supposed to be a somewhat absurd movie about nuclear war or cold war politics or something? It's a classic that I have no real excuse for not having seen.

The Act of Killing: It looks like a very interesting documentary, in case you want me to watch something emotionally charged.

The Pianist: I haven't seen this movie and it was used as an example of something that had no reason for it in a movie. Help me prove Rubber wrong!

De-shamed(20): The Thin Red Line(8/10), Casablanca(9/10), Lawrence of Arabia(9.5/10), For a Few Dollars More(7.5/10), Goodfellas (4/10), The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (7.5/10), Stalker (8/10), Battleship Potemkin (6/10), Starship Troopers (6.5/10), Blade Runner (7.5/10), The Godfather: Part II (9/10), Se7en (7/10), The Boondock Saints (2.5/10), Space Mutiny(MST3k) (8/10), The Bridge on the River Kwai (8.5/10), Enter The Dragon (7.5/10), Rubber(1.5/10), Lost in Translation (5.5/10), A Fistful of Dollars (7/10), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (8/10)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Ixtlilton, you get to watch Rosemary's Baby.

It took awhile for Netflix to find their copy of Koyaanisqatsi to send me, and I watched a few other things on my list in the meantime, so I guess it's time for a miniature :ducksiren: Lightning Round :ducksiren:

Koyaanisqatsi: This movie deserves to be watched on a theater screen. The director manages to string a coherent narrative from a series of seemingly unconnected images, finding some absolutely gorgeous shots along the way. The moon shot and rocket shots jump immediately to mind. There's a lot of juxtaposition between nature shots and urban scenes, and a lot of ways they make people seem more unnatural (usually by speeding them up or just lingering on them for a really long time). All in all it does an excellent job making modern (circa 1983) life seem deeply alienating, which is a pretty valid point.

Kung Fu Hustle: Fun little live-action cartoon about, well, Kung Fu. I enjoyed the fact that the standard Bullied Poor Community was half full of secret retired kung fu masters. Pretty standard genre parody, except that it avoids the normal problem of ripping off specific films.

Jacob's Ladder: This was a deeply unsettling film. I appreciate that it telegraphed the whole he died in Vietnam thing rather than relying on it as a twist, and made the film about Jake's attempts to deal with it instead. This is definitely one that I'll need to rewatch, as I'm certain I missed a majority of the things going on here.

Stagecoach: Oh my god, it's the Platonic Ideal western. This was a beautifully simple story where a group of archetypes needs to get from A to B, but the Other is lurking somewhere along the way. I swear, I've seen these character types echo through nearly every other western I've seen. The depiction of Geronimo's men was a standard "faceless enemy" type, rather than a caricature, which I guess is as good as you can hope for in 1939.

My Shame List, in order of length of time on the list:

1) Unbreakable: A few of my friends have called this the best superhero movie ever made. Let's see if they're right!

2) Triumph of the Will: Super influential Nazi propaganda? Seems like I should watch this just to keep an eye out for people using its techniques.

3) Forbidden Planet: A Sci-fi adaptation of Shakespeare? Sounds fun.

4) Man with a Movie Camera: Soviet film! That's really all I know.

5) The Graduate: Know the meme, see the movie!

6) Dog Day Afternoon: I liked Network and 12 Angry Men, so let's see more Lumet.

7) Days of Heaven: Never seen a Malick movie. This was strongly recommended to me since I really liked Upstream Color.

8) Lost Highway: The mystery man scene out of context is the reason I got into David Lynch (and horror in general) in the first place.

9) My Darling Clementine: Continuing the John Ford spot on the list.

10) The General: Buster Keaton free space. Feel free to substitute with a different one of his movies.

De-Shamed (34) [Top 5 in bold]: The Thing, Casino Royale, Blue Velvet, Metropolis, Unforgiven, The Rock, Jurassic Park, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Shining, Videodrome, Inglourious Basterds, Battleship Potemkin, Con Air, Mulholland Dr., The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Taxi Driver, Prometheus, Pan's Labyrinth, 8 1/2, Casino, Starship Troopers, The Big Lebowski, Nosferatu, Oldboy, 12 Angry Men, Drive, No Country for Old Men, The Exorcist, Ed Wood, Face/Off, Koyaanisqatsi, Kung Fu Hustle, Jacob's Ladder, Stagecoach

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2013

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Nolanar, haven't seen any of your movies, but westerns seem under-represented on this thread, so I think you should see My Darling Clementine

A Beautiful Mind. Good movie. Jennifer Connelly and Russell Crowe do a very good job. Bit slow at the beginning, but picks up nicely when Nash meets Parchard. I like the way that Nash's hallucinations were handled. Made you really wonder how difficult it must be when you cannot tell reality and fantasy.

My List:
Patton - George C. Scott is a very underrated actor. Was great in The Hustler and A Christmas Carol.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

The Kid - More Chaplin please.

Enter the Dragon - Like Errol Flynn until recently, never saw a Bruce Lee movie either.

Horse Feathers - Time for another Marx Brothers movie.

Despicable Me - I know Despicable Me 2 is coming out, but I still need to see the original

The Bad Sleep Well - Having just seen Kurosawa's version of MacBeth, his version of Hamlet is next.

Fiddler on the Roof - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

The Wolf Man - Next in my monster movie queue.

Rear Window - I think I may have seen this when I was a kid, but I really don't remember it.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Dmitri Russkie watch The Kid ... it is my favorite Chaplin.

What is there to say about Seven Samurai? It is a masterpiece. There isn't an action film around that hasn't borrowed, perhaps unknowingly, from this film. While I wouldn't say this is my favorite Kurosawa (I tend to like his smaller films better), it is just an amazing piece of film. One thing I noticed about this film as compared to other films of its ilk is that the conflict is much more internal. We already know that bandits are bad, so that is not dwelled on. Additionally, there is the soci-economic themes that run through a lot of Kurosawa's work that makes this film so dense. Love it. I think I could cut 30 minutes, but is so amazing there is no need to. (9.5/10)

From the IMDB Top 250: Seven Samurai Gravity (2013)
From the Netflix Top 100: Mud (2012)

Completed Assignments: Mad Max, The Conversation, Tombstone, Diabolique, The Last Picture Show, Fanny and Alexander, Dawn of the Dead, The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly, Bridge on the River Kwai, Robot & Frank, 12 Angry Men, Seven Samurai

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
York, City Lights is the only thing on your list I've seen, and it's definitely worth your time.

Finally back! It took a while to get around to The Bourne Identity, mostly because I had to pay money to see it, and that's a psychological barrier. Well, it was worth it. This was an excellent spy thriller, properly paranoid for the modern era. I gather it was one of the founders of shakycam, and it uses it well. The movie is thrilling and keeps me interested, but it also has good human drama with Bourne's confusion, and the character of Marie keeps us grounded. The music was also nice- I found it oddly reminiscent of Silent Hill. The only odd thing was that it didn't seem like Bourne's backstory, when it was finally revealed, was quite scandalous enough to justify the extreme measures they took to eliminate him. I have a feeling there's more yet to be revealed in the sequels.

Rating: 4/4

83. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang- So, I don't know. This is like - a noir, but not a noir? A parody, kind of but not really? Robert Downey Jr.? I'm confused, but I'm told I'll like it.

84. Lost Weekend- Ben Franklin from 1776 gets really drunk. Sure, why not?

87. Out of Africa- I have seen this once, but all I remember is being really bored. But I was younger then, and my tastes weren't as developed, so I'm willing to give it another try.

90. Wall Street- Greed is good, I guess? I like Michael Douglas, and I don't know who else is in this movie.

91. The Usual Suspects- I already know who Keyser Soze is. I'm afraid that, like a later Shyamalan film, this movie is all about the big twist and falls apart once you know it.

93. Patton- On second thought, if I'm going to put a George C. Scott movie on here, it should really be this.

94. The Ten Commandments- Another (pseudo) historical epic.

95. Rain Man- Tom Cruise is an rear end in a top hat who exploits gullible people for money. Also, he was in this movie. :rimshot:

96. The Bourne Supremacy- Love the first one, eager to find out more.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4

Bungdeetle
Sep 25, 2009

Jurgan posted:

87. Out of Africa- I have seen this once, but all I remember is being really bored. But I was younger then, and my tastes weren't as developed, so I'm willing to give it another try.

Try it you shall.

You guys are right about The Princess Bride. It was funny. But it seemed a bit "light". Maybe they could have brought it up a level. If it was to be a comedy, make it non-stop laughs. If it was to be a romance, make the female protagonist likeable. Or, if she is supposed to be dumb as a post and a sheltered brat, Robin could have played that up more. It drove me nuts watching the scene where Westley is attacked by a ROUS, and his sword is there on the ground, waiting to be picked up, and the princess is just standing there, watching. It's only until it goes after HER that she picks up a log and gives it a little bonk on the nose. ...but I suppose that's the point. Maybe if it lost some subtlety that would ruin it. Whatever, it's a G movie.
Anyway, some brilliant quotes in there and a quality cast.

Also watched Seven Samurai, as I was bored and decided to cross something else off the list. Though three and a half hours, you get so drawn into its world that time is no object. I love the very operatic style of acting in this movie. It really makes the characters stand out on their own - both peasant and samurai (and maybe even the bandit woman) - and also complement each other very well. Not enough credit goes to Bokuzen Hidari, who plays Farmer Yosei. Of course, Toshiro Mifune stole the show, but Takashi Shimura was not just a good foil, but held his own. The plot is simple enough, but there is still a lot to absorb in this epic film. It probably should be viewed at least twice for full appreciation.
Now I must see Kurosawa's other movies.

List update:

Some Like It Hot - People have gone on about Marilyn Monroe being an icon and a genius. How can I appreciate that when I have never seen any of her work?

Full Metal Jacket - I only saw the beginning when we watched it in history class. Then the class was over and I haven't seen the rest since. Everyone is always asking if I've seen it and in my heart of hearts I cannot say yes.

Terminator - Srsly.

Tokyo Story - From its decription it sounds boring, but apparently it's a masterpiece.

The King's Speech - Meant to watch this when it first came out.

Unashamed: Bambi, The Princess Bride, Seven Samurai

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bungdeetle posted:

Terminator - Srsly.

shame
noun \ˈshām\

: a feeling of guilt, regret, or sadness that you have because you know you have done something wrong

The Atalanta - This was earthy and basic for the most part. Perhaps there were more camera angles used than was typical at the time. A man (the captain) and woman get married and start working on a barge with two other guys. Jules is the grumpy first mate. For the first 2/3rds things "just happen" in the film. Nothing seems that significant or important. A typical story was not present and I thought the whole film may pass without the typical arc developing. This gives it a certain spontaneity and unpredictability.

Eventually the couple visit a town on a break and a salesman who tries to sell junk ends up being the catalyst for a typical point of conflict. The husband gets jealous of the wife and eventually leaves the city on the barge while she's shopping. It seemed like a brash and jealous overreaction. The husband becomes forlorn after his actions. Eventually they're improbably reunited and the film ends on a happy note.

Typically I find films from the 10s through the early 30s to be more academic exercises than pure jolts of entertainment. This scale shifts and continues to correlate strongly as the years progress of course. In that regard I feel like a prisoner of time and circumstance.

Side note:

Paris is portrayed as kind of dangerous. People stealing purses and stalking women.

Also watched:

Synecdoche, New York - This could've been called Synecdoch E/N ew York. I was interested in seeing this one since many have called it the greatest of the young century and others have said it's in their top 10 all-time and even some have proclaimed it "the best film ever."

Caden Cotard is a sad and pitiful character in many ways despite some workplace success. He's worried about his health and things continually get worse for him even though he feels he's on the cusp of profundity as a playwright. Maybe I'm getting too misanthropic but I found some of his misfortunes to be funny. Just like when I watched The Lost Weekend I thought to myself maybe I shouldn't be laughing this heartily at these serious problems. Cotard goes through his share of turmoil but his portrayal focused much too strongly on his continual mopiness and dreariness for my tastes. I wanted to jump in the film and say "get a grip!" a few times.

There's a ton of well-knowns in the film and things got slow 3/4th through when everyone started taking on layered roles. I could draw some loose comparisons to The Red Shoes and Kramer vs. Kramer. I'll mention one character though. The seven foot tall Larry David (Tom Noonan) stuck out.

Charlie Kaufman's writing has been pretty consistent and I think I would've guessed he was behind this film had I not known based on seeing Being John Malkovich, Adaptation. and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. His characters have a strong existential angst about seemingly everything but maybe mainly on career and sex.

I could write plenty more and delve deep into the story so it's easy to see why it's liked and regarded but it just wasn't as epiphanic for me as it appears to have been for some. I think there are films some need to see that others just might find redundant or at least not as groundbreaking. This felt like the latter to me but maybe I missed something.

Procrastination (77 completed):

#82 I Am Cuba AKA Soy Cuba - Been on my radar awhile. 10/22/13

#83 A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - Of the twenty films in the NoES and Ft13th series this is the only one I haven't seen. Seasonal due diligence. 10/22/13

new #84 Audition - Another seasonal selection. 10/30/13

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (28/46 completed):

new 2001 Monster's Ball - Another monster movie. 10/30/13

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Zogo, you get I Am Cuba

Underneath the 80's trappings, To Live and Die in L.A. is a solid action thriller. Other than the "how the hell did they pull that off" car chase, it has great performances and amazing pacing. Not a minute feels wasted. How this movie isn't more acclaimed is beyond me. And why wasn't William Peterson a bigger name?

4) The Nightmare Before Christmas- it's that time of year and everyone I know has seen this
6) Thief- another 80's thriller and the onl Michael Mann I haven't seen

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Hey everyone I'm back from watching horror movies.

Mistletoe Donkey, go watch A Fistful of Dollars.
I finally got around to watching Life of Pi. To say it's a pretty film is an understatement. This is worth watching for the cinematography alone. There's beautiful landscape shots, beautiful use of color, beautiful everything. I was worried that since most of the movie took place on a boat that it would just be a screen of blue, but there's wonderful use of color throughout.

As for the story, it's pretty good as well. This is a very religious movie, focusing on the power of faith. The heart of the story is between Pi and the tiger, and the relationship the two develop while at sea. It is very tense at times, and even though you know how it ends it's still a good story to watch unfold.

As far as watching this in 2D, I think I probably missed out on some of the experience of watching this. As gorgeous as it was, there's a lot of scenes that I'm sure would have been amazing in 3D. I might pick up the 3DBR if I see it on sale.

1. Lolita: I've seen almost all of Kubrick's offerings, but I have not yet seen this teen sex romp.

2. Gaslight: This is one of the more famous noirs, so I feel I need to see it.

3. Ocean's Eleven (1960): I've seen the remake a bunch of times - let's see how the original one is.

4. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: I don't know much about this one aside from the fact that the protagonist is a fugitive. From a chain gang.

5. The 400 Blows: I've seen this pop up a few times in this thread, and I feel I should give it a watch.

6. The Crow: I used to have the soundtrack to this, but I've never watched it. It's been right at the front of my instant watch queue for a year now, but I just can't bother to watch it.

7. The Fugitive: Hey you known that Harrison Ford movie that's probably on 12 different channels right now? Yeah I've never bothered watching it.

8. The Abyss: This is a horror I think? I usually like Cameron's movies. I;m kind of surprised I haven't seen this.

9. Good Will Hunting: I actually have no clue what this is about, but it seems to be a fairly well-regarded movie.

10. Blow-Up: This is supposed to be one of the game-changing movies that helped influence the New Hollywood era. It's probably time I watch it

Un-shamed in 2013: The Grapes of Wrath, Yojimbo, The Sixth Sense, Forbidden Planet, Cool Hand Luke, Easy Rider, It Happened one Night, Donnie Brasco, Fargo, Enter the Dragon, The Big Sleep, Adam's Rib, Animal House, Quiz Show, The Man with the Golden Arm, Strangers on a Train, Singin' in the Rain, The Philadelphia Story, The Time Machine, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Seven Year Itch, The Deer Hunter, City Lights, The Prestige, Five Easy Pieces, Some Like it Hot, Snatch, True Lies, The Seventh Seal, Amelie, The Magnificent Ambersons, Escape from New York, Witness for the Prosecution, Life is Beautiful, Brazil, Clash of the Titans, Gone With the Wind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Bicycle Thief, Once Upon a Time in America, Con Air, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Cinema Paradiso, Life of Pi

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
First time I've been in this thread and I figure it's about time, I'm running out of stuff to watch that actively interests me by looking at bits of it. But I know I do have a fairly shameful list - I'm going to go with 10 out of the IMDB top 250 (the first 100) as I'm sure there's 10 I've missed there. Seems a reasonable place to start. I'll hopefully branch out from there. In a less reasonable vein, I tend to have an issue with older movies. Not so much actually watching them (when I get down to it) but making myself want to, if that makes sense. I always tend to gravitate towards the easier newer film than the old 'classic', if that makes sense.

Anyways, I need help! So here's my first ten:

1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - I hate Westerns generally. My dad used to watch a lot of crappy ones with me and its left me with a distaste for the genre. But Unforgiven is genuinely one of the best movies I've ever seen, so I figure there must be a bit somewhere within me that shares with my father's movie tastes. As strange as it seems, I almost don't watch classic Westerns because I fear I may hate them and not be overly interested, thus not appreciating it enough. But I'm throwing this (and OUaTitW) so I can be forced to at least see, if someone chooses.

2. Once Upon a Time in the West - Much in the same vein.

3. It's a Wonderful Life - I think I'd like this one, I've just never gotten around to watching it. See above with my silly problem with seeing movies that are 'older'.

4. Leon: The Professional - I've wanted to watch this a few times, but just haven't gotten around to it. It's weird, because I'm sure I'd love it, but I just have never sat down to do it.

5. Paths of Glory - Another one that I love the premise of and am put off at the last minute of watching by not watching an older or difficult movie. It's an illness! I really enjoy Kubrick so this is perhaps even more glaring than some others.

6. Amelie - One I know I should have seen given my penchant for happy stuff, but I haven't and it's meant to be brilliant. Spose that's why it's shameful.

7. Reservoir Dogs - The only Tarantino I haven't seen, perhaps because I saw Pulp Fiction as my first and went onwards from there. My favourites of his are Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds, if that helps at all.

8. Bicycle Thieves - I just never got drawn in enough to watch it based on the premise. I've watched a lot of stuff in the top 100 and enjoyed it, but my silly 'what I want to watch now' ideals get ahead of actual good movies at some stages. It seems like something I'd like, or at least want to watch.

9. Princess Mononoke - I did watch this when I was much younger, but I can't remember a thing about it so I figured it deserved including here. I love a few anime films but I hate most of them, so I'd put not watching this down to that.

10. Amadeus - It just seemed like something I wouldn't enjoy. I'm not the biggest fan of biopics but as far as I'm told this one isn't typical, so I'm keen.

They were the first 10 in the IMDB top 100 I hadn't seen, luckily I've at least watched Hitchcock and many classics. But there are glaring and...shameful holes in there (to be honest, looking at that written it's a shocker). So please, help me. I'll do my best to watch it tomorrow as a reward after studying for the night.

I'll give my reviews like Chili did I think, numbers are easy.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
You forgot to recommend a movie to me.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

PTizzle posted:

First time I've been in this thread and I figure it's about time, I'm running out of stuff to watch that actively interests me by looking at bits of it. But I know I do have a fairly shameful list - I'm going to go with 10 out of the IMDB top 250 (the first 100) as I'm sure there's 10 I've missed there. Seems a reasonable place to start. I'll hopefully branch out from there. In a less reasonable vein, I tend to have an issue with older movies. Not so much actually watching them (when I get down to it) but making myself want to, if that makes sense. I always tend to gravitate towards the easier newer film than the old 'classic', if that makes sense.

[Great movies]

You're about to have your world rocked. And I think you'll find these movies aren't as "difficult" as you think they are.

Edit: AREN'T. Blagh.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
I'll do two recommendations. Copywright you get The Abyss. And PTizzle, you get Once Upon A Time in the West which is one of my favorite movies.

A Fistful of Dollars was a remake done right. It was absolute perfection. I love Yojimbo and I think this is a worthy companion. The score is amazing, Eastwood is certifiably badass and there's not a moment wasted. Leone is a master and hasn't let me down yet. And is this the only Man with No name movie where he is called by his name?

1) For A Few Dollars More- might as well finish the Dollars trilogy
6) Thief- another 80's thriller and the onl Michael Mann I haven't seen

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars