Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Google Butt posted:

Interesting. I think my limit would be $1k, maybe $1.2k. You make a good point, but I do like the idea of being able to design something and make small tweaks and changes at my leisure.

Yeah on one hand you can say if you're not going to be printing >$1300 worth of poo poo then don't buy a printer just use shapeways or 3dhubs, but on the other hand it can be really punishingly hard and needlessly frustrating to try to work a 1-2 week turnaround on parts into your design workflow.

Cheaper in $ but you pay in other ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Yeah on one hand you can say if you're not going to be printing >$1300 worth of poo poo then don't buy a printer just use shapeways or 3dhubs, but on the other hand it can be really punishingly hard and needlessly frustrating to try to work a 1-2 week turnaround on parts into your design workflow.

Cheaper in $ but you pay in other ways.

I actually just looked at 3dhubs, I absolutely love the concept. Is it actually possible to pay with your printer that way?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It can be somewhat profitable -- but it's beer money at best, and unless you already have a stellar reputation or a serious niche, you're going to be competing with college kids who just bought a Wanhao i3 and are printing for peanuts to buy weed.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Friend posted up a problem he's got with troubleshooting a benchy that came out looking all hosed up, so I told him I'd post the details here to see if anyone had any suggestions.

http://imgur.com/a/OVW2w <- an album of the hosed up looking boat.

quote:

Print details :
Monoprice Maker Select
PLA
50mm/s print speed
.2mm layers
210 temp (bed not heated)
.4mm all metal hot end
Jerk set to 4
Accel set to 600x/y
Printed via Simplify3d over USB
Any ideas why this came out looking so bad? It split into 3 when I went to move the z axis (it stopped on top of the chimney), and it was stuck to the PEI sheet pretty well.

I'm kind of at a loss besides "slow the print speed down a bit", but he's already trying one at 45mm/s to see if that helps, and he's dropped the temp a bit as well.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm stumped.

Try 195 hotend and 60 on the bed, and save the program to an SD card and put it in the controller and run it from there.

That benchy album looks like the filament was way too hot. So combine the 195 nozzle temp with a 100% fan speed if the fan isn't running already.

Don't run over USB from a PC of any kind. Too many ways a communication lag can be introduced.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Frobbe posted:

Any particular comments on the Hobbyking Fabrikator printers? I see they've released a version 1.5 fixing a bunch of poo poo. I very briefly backed that 101Hero 3D printer, but dropped that after reading the posts on it here. I don't have a lot of space in my apartment, so i figure the Fabrikator mini would fit nicely on a shelf next to my PC.

If budget is not an equally large factor, there are some printers that have reasonable foot prints for usage on a desk. If you need a tiny printer though, the Fabrikator Mini is that, although you still need to allocate some space for a filament spool holder. It is not that much more space, but it can bump up the footprint a decent amount depending on how you set it up. I had a mixed experienced with the mine. To quote myself from an excessively long printer recommendation post:

torpedan posted:

Fabrikator Mini - $215 - 80 x 80 x 80 - This printer is a version of the Tiny Boy platform and is sold by Hobby King.If you have not ordered from them before it is important to know that back order status, pricing, and shipping costs will vary based on the warehouse it is being shipped from. The printer frame and printer bed is made from acrylic and it comes with a knockoff E3D v6 hot end and is limited by its components to below 240C.

I have a mixed opinion on this printer. I ordered one of these printers when they first came out and the control board on the first printer I received died after 11 minutes of printing. However, being sold through hobby king I was able to have it replaced under warranty, although that did require I pay shipping to send it back to where I ordered it from. The replacement printer they sent me, which was the wrong color, had a significant amount of debris in extruder that required cold pulls and removing the nozzle multiple times. If I had not already had a significant amount of experience with printers at this point, I would have returned it or tossed the entire thing into the trash. Once these issues, and several thermal problems taken care of, the printer has actually been relatively problem free and burned through three rolls of filament with only having one other problem come up. That problem however is that the acrylic bed has bowed and needs to be replaced before I can print more.

The design has been updated to address some of the heat issues as well to make it easier to access the print bed. There is a known issue where the stepper current voltage can be too high which can cause frame warping, but this is something that can be adjusted. A very common upgrade for this printer is to add a LCD controller/SD card support. For the China price, it actually is a decent value once the issues have been sorted. However, every dollar the price increases puts it that much closer to the next few printers on this list which are vastly better options.

refleks posted:

Do you have any example prints, and have you tried any of the mods like an SD slot or LCD?

I don't have any pictures to share, the print quality is reasonably good for what it is and my biggest issue with the printer when it works is accessibility to the print area. This limitation was fixed though in the 1.5 by adding an opening to the front side of the printer. In the grand scheme of things the printer is slow, but it is livable as the build volume is not large enough to make it obvious just how slow it is.

Mod wise, I added SD/LCD support which is easy to do as there is a how to video that details everything you need to know. The only trick to it is knowing that the red LCD screens require the cables to modified and rotated 180 degrees before plugging them in, but this is covered in the video linked above. My bed is warped pretty bad and needs to be replaced. Rather than go the heated bed route, I cut up the glass from an old picture frame and attached it to the top of the bed using a temporary adhesive. This change has worked pretty well so far.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Friend posted up a problem he's got with troubleshooting a benchy that came out looking all hosed up, so I told him I'd post the details here to see if anyone had any suggestions.

I'm kind of at a loss besides "slow the print speed down a bit", but he's already trying one at 45mm/s to see if that helps, and he's dropped the temp a bit as well.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm stumped.

It looks like a combination of under-extrusion and being too hot. If turning the heat down does not help, try upping the flow a few percentage points. If you still have issues after that you may have debris in the nozzle. Getting a flake of metal in a nozzle will cause issues that look like those in the album. Things will print fine when the flake gets pulled back from the nozzle during retracts, but eventually it will move back down and restrict the flow of plastic.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Google Butt posted:

You make a good point, but I do like the idea of being able to design something and make small tweaks and changes at my leisure.

I use my printer almost exclusively for quadcopter parts.

I just have a Printrbot Simple Metal with the larger heated bed. Works great.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I have a technical question for you fine goons.
I have designed a small sleeve for a gopro knockoff that I want to eventually turn into a 360 camera rig. I am going to have one of these sleeves printed out in ABS to test my design. I modeled it so that the internal dimensions of the sleeve were the same as the external dimensions of the camera. I was then told that I needed to account for material warp/shrinkage by resizing the internal dimensions of the sleeve so that they are slightly larger than the camera's external dimensions. I was told "add a tolerance of .25mm to the design for a "snug" tight fit or .3mm for parts that are in contact but will glide past one another."

My question is do I need to add half of that tolerance, say .15mm, to each dimension or do I add the full .3mm to each dimension?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
My advice is to build some fudge factor into your design, because

- It's not always intuitive/obvious how the plastic will shrink (it will shrink towards itself, so may actually make some features like holes larger).
- There may be some warping depending on the design / how evenly it cools
- Different brands/batches of ABS may shrink differently
- The printer probably isn't calibrated to sub-mm dimensional accuracy anyway.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

rawrr posted:

My advice is to build some fudge factor into your design, because

- It's not always intuitive/obvious how the plastic will shrink (it will shrink towards itself, so may actually make some features like holes larger).
- There may be some warping depending on the design / how evenly it cools
- Different brands/batches of ABS may shrink differently
- The printer probably isn't calibrated to sub-mm dimensional accuracy anyway.

So if it is going to shrink then in which direction should my tolerance be added? To thicken the sleeve or to reduce its thickness?

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003

jubjub64 posted:

So if it is going to shrink then in which direction should my tolerance be added? To thicken the sleeve or to reduce its thickness?

How many times do you want to print the same part? If you want it exact and are willing to do it three times, go trial and error. If you only way to pay for it once, error on the side of of the hole being larger and insert some shim material if needed.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

torpedan posted:

How many times do you want to print the same part? If you want it exact and are willing to do it three times, go trial and error. If you only way to pay for it once, error on the side of of the hole being larger and insert some shim material if needed.

Thanks for that insight. I guess I'm going to have to do some trial and error to get what I want. One problem that I realize now is if I don't use the same machine for all of my prints then I'm at square one again. I'm using a local printing service so I don't know how much control I will have over that. Looks like shimming might be an option.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also you can specify more outer shells (for a cost) that allows you to bore the hole out with a drill to the final needed size. On parts with holes all arranged vertically, I'll do six walls or so just in case I need to bore and smooth out the hole.

Remember, 3D printing isn't the end-all-be-all. It can sometimes work best (or at all) when combined with some other basic "machining" and finishing techniques. You can do some amazing things with an extruded string of plastic, but the flipside of that coin is that you can only do so much with an extruded string of plastic.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Try 195 hotend and 60 on the bed, and save the program to an SD card and put it in the controller and run it from there.

That benchy album looks like the filament was way too hot. So combine the 195 nozzle temp with a 100% fan speed if the fan isn't running already.

Don't run over USB from a PC of any kind. Too many ways a communication lag can be introduced.

torpedan posted:

It looks like a combination of under-extrusion and being too hot. If turning the heat down does not help, try upping the flow a few percentage points. If you still have issues after that you may have debris in the nozzle. Getting a flake of metal in a nozzle will cause issues that look like those in the album. Things will print fine when the flake gets pulled back from the nozzle during retracts, but eventually it will move back down and restrict the flow of plastic.

Cool. I'll shoot the info over to him.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 24, 2016

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

refleks posted:

Do you have any example prints, and have you tried any of the mods like an SD slot or LCD?

No mods per se, we skipped the SD/LCD and went straight to octoprint on a Pi we had laying around. I have put a large PC case fan blowing across the build platform and the base (to cool the electronics further) a couple of times but intend to print a proper duct and a base with a dedicated electronics fan.

This was the very first test print, no tweaks, with no-name PLA:
https://twitter.com/makerspace_gg/status/706908176638222336

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Copolyester viscosity is a fickle bitch. I was having issues printing various parts I was printing in XT, with corner curling and whatever. I dropped the temperature by 5° and suddenly everything is fine.

Coincidentally, I was trying to print my custom cooling thingymajic for better printing. :suicide:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I'm going to grab the Prusa i3 MK2.. now my only decision is kit or assembled. I'm fairly confident I can built that kit, but I'm not familiar with how easy they are to gently caress up when you're assembling them.

edit: Ordered the kit.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 25, 2016

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

techknight posted:

The one at work is, yeah - ~150 DSLRs with custom electronics/hubs to deal with all that data every time a shot is taken. (it turns out that plugging in a hundred and fifty USB anythings is a non-trivial setup :v:)

The little statue in my last post was just from an iPhone 6 taking a bunch of photos, though

We're working on a plan to do something similar with a bunch of old android phones.

When you're sanding the models, do you just hit the large, flatter areas? I haven't tried yet, but I imagine it's tough to get in all the nooks without destroying things.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

I'm going to grab the Prusa i3 MK2.. now my only decision is kit or assembled. I'm fairly confident I can built that kit, but I'm not familiar with how easy they are to gently caress up when you're assembling them.

What material are you planning to print in. Most 3D printing for small multirotors I've seen these days is accessories in tpu

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

What material are you planning to print in. Most 3D printing for small multirotors I've seen these days is accessories in tpu

Tpu. The mk2 uses the e3d v6full hotend, which from my research should get hot enough.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Hillridge posted:

We're working on a plan to do something similar with a bunch of old android phones.

When you're sanding the models, do you just hit the large, flatter areas? I haven't tried yet, but I imagine it's tough to get in all the nooks without destroying things.

Yup, gotta use hand sanding or small tools for those areas. We have a lot of things that look like dental tools, except that they're ridged for sanding. Plus we have ZBrush artists who will thicken/move stray fingers or heels, or construct proper glasses and whatnot

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

What program do you guys suggest I start with? Do any of these cad programs have a noob friendly u.i.?

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
I use onshape for modeling. Tinkercad is easy and let's you modify STL files, but complex objects are a pain to do with it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Google Butt posted:

What program do you guys suggest I start with? Do any of these cad programs have a noob friendly u.i.?

Use the hobbyist/startup license for Fusion360 and work your way through the tutorials and Youtube videos they post. It's pretty much the best all-around parametric software that's free other than OnShape.

Here's a good primer video to give you an idea of what you'll be getting into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6JOPdu2-NA

insta
Jan 28, 2009
tinkerCAD. It's surprisingly powerful but very easy to get into.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Wade Wilson posted:

Use the hobbyist/startup license for Fusion360 and work your way through the tutorials and Youtube videos they post. It's pretty much the best all-around parametric software that's free other than OnShape.

Here's a good primer video to give you an idea of what you'll be getting into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6JOPdu2-NA

Is that hobbyist license still available? I didn't see it

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If I remember, the hobbyist license for F360 is a checkbox after you install.

123D is beginner-mode Fusion360. I like it a lot, and hopefully it'll ease the transition to F360 if I ever want more power.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Google Butt posted:

Is that hobbyist license still available? I didn't see it

It's an option you pick during the installation. Good for a year, and as long as you make less than $100k using the software you can just re-up every year with the same license.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Google Butt posted:

Kit was the smart choice. I loving love my i3, it's a lovely acrylic one but it's been a workhorse. It's surprisingly solid once I anchored it to the desk with a single clamp on the back part of the Y axis. I broke one acrylic piece on mine when I overtightened a bolt, but I epoxy'd it back together and it's been fine for a year+ since.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

Kit was the smart choice. I loving love my i3, it's a lovely acrylic one but it's been a workhorse. It's surprisingly solid once I anchored it to the desk with a single clamp on the back part of the Y axis. I broke one acrylic piece on mine when I overtightened a bolt, but I epoxy'd it back together and it's been fine for a year+ since.

Awesome. Everyone seems to love the mk1 so I'm hopeful about the mk2.

What's up with solidworks? Is it really that good for 3d printing to justify the cost over the other options?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

What's up with solidworks? Is it really that good for 3d printing to justify the cost over the other options?

If you know how to use it already and have more money than sense, then maybe.

For a parametric modeling package, Fusion360 will cover 99% of your needs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
SolidWorks is loving awesome. Get the student edition ( :pseudo: )

OnShape is annoying on the notion that it still doesn't do infinite length construction lines. That and its mating system.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So we got a wombot modus in at work which is a 400x400x500mm build space printer that comes pre assembled

Check out the slop in the z/x bar bearing
https://youtu.be/3vqW6BQB8co

The bearings are held by 2 nylon topped nuts that are not actually holding the inner race in place and it can shift by a large margin

When i sent the supplier that video they had the nerv to tell me thats totally normal and not a problem....

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I want to try open scad, but :effort:

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003

Scarecow posted:

When i sent the supplier that video they had the nerv to tell me thats totally normal and not a problem....

At least it will be forgiving if you crash the print head. Does it take much force to rock it back and forth? If it has a fair bit of resistance it wont have that big of an impact on printing. Fixing would likely still get better print quality though.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

torpedan posted:

At least it will be forgiving if you crash the print head. Does it take much force to rock it back and forth? If it has a fair bit of resistance it wont have that big of an impact on printing. Fixing would likely still get better print quality though.

Oh it takes zero effort at all to get that free play going,the nuts are not even holding the bearings tight

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Scarecow posted:

So we got a wombot modus in at work which is a 400x400x500mm build space printer that comes pre assembled

Check out the slop in the z/x bar bearing
https://youtu.be/3vqW6BQB8co

The bearings are held by 2 nylon topped nuts that are not actually holding the inner race in place and it can shift by a large margin

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:533472

Grab the Z resonance file and see how it does and send that to them?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ImplicitAssembler posted:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:533472

Grab the Z resonance file and see how it does and send that to them?

Turns out its the 608zz bearings they are using, a hilarious amout of radial axel movement, need to hunt some deep roller bearings now

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

quote:

When i sent the supplier that video they had the nerv to tell me thats totally normal and not a problem.

Solid candidate for a new thread title right there.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Google Butt posted:

Grossly overpriced to use purely for 3d print design work.

If you already have it for other stuff (like you do designwork for a living), fine. But it is absolutely not worth the outlay of money for someone getting into 3d printing when Onshape and Fusion360 exist.

Same story for Rhino or any other CAD package that costs money.

EDIT: 99% of the people that suggest Solidworks for 3d printing are either people that already have it because they make their living with it, or they pirated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm a former Autodesk Inventor junkie but I'm squarely on the onshape bandwagon now, the few criticisms I have are trivial and mostly to do with my personal workflow rather than the modelling tools. I'm really excited to see where it's going too, it's in a very active state of development right now and user requests and bug reports are answered in good time by real people.