Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That was Croc from his early 80s inception though. Like, you might assume he started out as "mean lizard guy," and the tragic backstory thing was added later because it was in vogue for Batman villains, but it was actually the other way around.

Croc's first appearances have him as an unstable gangster who's been bullied and ostracised all his life for his skin condition. He comes to Gotham and attempts to take over the mob by intimidating their leaders into letting him run the rackets, which he successfully does for a while. He's smart and calculating, but suffers from deep insecurity and anxiety about other people looking at or talking to him that roots from the childhood abuse he received for his skin condition.

There's one memorable moment where Batman finds Croc's apartment, enters it, and Croc immediately starts trashing the place in a rage because this was his One Safe Place and now that someone else has crossed its threshold, it's ruined and must be destroyed. It's not even about Batman finding his hideout, it's just that he wanted his home to be totally serene and free from judgement, and if anyone other than him has set foot in it at any point, he can't feel that way about it any more.

His fall from vague respectability happens after he tussles with Batman and subsequently Bane, gets knocked into a storm drain, and spends months in a fugue state eating rats. But Croc used to like, wear suits and have sophisticated plans and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

None of which explains how he became 10 feet tall and covered in green scales.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Android Blues posted:

Yeah for a long time Killer Croc was supposed to just be a guy with a terrible skin disease who was mentally ill because he had been ostracised and picked on from childhood. I think his scaly skin also gave him a degree of congenital immunity to pain?

I don't even know if the, "no, he's an actual crocoman!" thing was on purpose or just some writers not paying close enough attention. He degenerates into being more and more bestial mentally after being reduced to living in the sewers and eating rats, but the tragedy of that is meant to be that he's an actual human person who's just unbelievably deprived.

As far as I can tell it started shifting with how he was depicted in Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum comic, as well as him often being drawn as more literally reptilian in various Elseworlds stories

Android Blues posted:

That was Croc from his early 80s inception though. Like, you might assume he started out as "mean lizard guy," and the tragic backstory thing was added later because it was in vogue for Batman villains, but it was actually the other way around.

Croc's first appearances have him as an unstable gangster who's been bullied and ostracised all his life for his skin condition. He comes to Gotham and attempts to take over the mob by intimidating their leaders into letting him run the rackets, which he successfully does for a while. He's smart and calculating, but suffers from deep insecurity and anxiety about other people looking at or talking to him that roots from the childhood abuse he received for his skin condition.

There's one memorable moment where Batman finds Croc's apartment, enters it, and Croc immediately starts trashing the place in a rage because this was his One Safe Place and now that someone else has crossed its threshold, it's ruined and must be destroyed. It's not even about Batman finding his hideout, it's just that he wanted his home to be totally serene and free from judgement, and if anyone other than him has set foot in it at any point, he can't feel that way about it any more.

His fall from vague respectability happens after he tussles with Batman and subsequently Bane, gets knocked into a storm drain, and spends months in a fugue state eating rats. But Croc used to like, wear suits and have sophisticated plans and stuff.

Yeah from what I've heard quite a few people disliked Bane for a while for usurping a lot of what had been Croc's role among Batman's villains

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

drrockso20 posted:

As far as I can tell it started shifting with how he was depicted in Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum comic, as well as him often being drawn as more literally reptilian in various Elseworlds stories

Maybe but I’m still gonna blame Jeph Loeb cuz it was the Hush storyline that finally pulled that trigger.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

It actually happened, and he got closer to killing batman than any of the others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvnYXL7AqZo

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Android Blues posted:

But Croc used to like, wear suits and have sophisticated plans and stuff.

can somebody find a picture of this? it's a little off-topic but that sounds incredible, like Joe Fixit

vvv EDIT: Thanks for this, not quite what I expected but still incredible

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 24, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LordSaturn posted:

can somebody find a picture of this? it's a little off-topic but that sounds incredible, like Joe Fixit

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

good day for a bris posted:

Maybe but I’m still gonna blame Jeph Loeb cuz it was the Hush storyline that finally pulled that trigger.

yeah, maybe I'm misremembering this but I feel like Morrison's portrayal was the exception rather than the rule, and it was Hush where Croc started being depicted as a monster. Doesn't Batman even make some comment about how Croc has changed when he fights him in that?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
An easy retcon too. Croc has that severe skin condition, his initial play and failure against Batman resulted in such an excess of stress that his metagene got triggered without him realizing it, it synced up with his skin and made him basically a were-crocodile, and that's why he degenerated so much: he's now got primal animal instincts loving with his brain. He's not aware of it though, and hence he goes from 'can be a decent guy' to 'vicious animalistic cannibal' depending on where his brain is being directed, and Hush's virus just exacerbated the problem.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

An easy retcon too. Croc has that severe skin condition, his initial play and failure against Batman resulted in such an excess of stress that his metagene got triggered without him realizing it, it synced up with his skin and made him basically a were-crocodile, and that's why he degenerated so much: he's now got primal animal instincts loving with his brain. He's not aware of it though, and hence he goes from 'can be a decent guy' to 'vicious animalistic cannibal' depending on where his brain is being directed, and Hush's virus just exacerbated the problem.

His issue of Joker's Asylum went with something like that, as did the Elseworlds comic The Batman of Arkham(which is probably one of the best Elseworlds comics for a bunch of reasons)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The best explanation for Croc is the Batman '66 comic where he was a henchman for King Tut who accidentally drank too much of an elixir that magically gives you crocodile strength.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

To be fair, it was a big rock.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

LordSaturn posted:

vvv EDIT: Thanks for this, not quite what I expected but still incredible

He was still trying to be fashionable during No Man's Land:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So where did DUH I R KILLUR CROCUH come from? Batman TAS + Arkham game series?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Infinitum posted:

I think most writers just assume big guys are dumb.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Infinitum posted:

And various Elseworlds comics as well since they often used him as the dumb muscle(the Batman Vampire trilogy and The Doom That Came To Gotham particularly come to mind)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Even TAS didn't always have him dumb. Like that episode where he's on the run and shacks up with the group of escapee ex circus freaks was pretty great, and he shows a lot of intelligence in it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deep down, Killer Croc just wants to be loved.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
One day my dreams will come true and they'll publish a sequel to The Batman of Arkham with Croc as Robin.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jedit posted:

Deep down, Killer Croc just wants to be loved.

He needs to go home and be a family man.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lurdiak posted:

None of which explains how he became 10 feet tall and covered in green scales.

Contamination Hazard Urban Disposal

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

(Doom Patrol #6 by Gerard Way, Nick Derington, Tom Fowler, Tamra Bonvillain and Todd Klein).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yes I'm posting lots of pages, no I'm not sorry

The Unbelievable Gwenpool #25

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

When in doubt, use the ending from Never Ending Story.
How appropriate. Well played.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

W.T. Fits posted:

I still think the Plastic Man issue is one of the best comics I've ever read.

okay this is glorious

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

So this month's Snagglepuss features a love triangle between Arthur Miller, Joe DiMaggio, and Marilyn Monroe.

This comes after a sequence earlier in the issue where we get DiMaggio's perspective on how Marilyn represents the ultimate normativity that he, as the son of immigrants, never had access to before. It's a nice inversion.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I never expected the Hanna-Barbara comics to end up so weird and wonderful.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Snagglepuss looks like someone's fursona

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What is it with comics and having poignant stories about the Monroe/DiMaggio marriage? The best issue of 100 Bullets is about them, too (well, analogs, but it was fairly obvious).

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Rough Lobster posted:

Snagglepuss looks like someone's fursona

That's the end of the comic, he tries to hump DiMaggio and Joe knocks his mask off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A discussion in another thread got me thinking about Dwayne McDuffie again and well, this is probably my favorite page he ever wrote.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Okay, no, probably like a thousand or something, but that sounded cooler."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Also it really really helps if they have superpowers. I mean 4 people is just a small business."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In the Dark Reign Fantastic Four series (which was the Start of Hickman's run) he basically says
"And having re-re-checked the Math the actual number to change everything is 1. When 1 is Reed Richards.
Basically I can fix everything."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Dr. Doom is insulted!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

In the Dark Reign Fantastic Four series (which was the Start of Hickman's run) he basically says
"And having re-re-checked the Math the actual number to change everything is 1. When 1 is Reed Richards.
Basically I can fix everything."

An awfully Maker statement to make

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Yeah, that subtext becomes text pretty quickly once the Council of Reeds shows up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YEAH LETS RUIN ONE OF THE BEST F4 PANELS OF ALL TIME.

Jerks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nah the panel where Reed is tucking in Franklin (or was it Valeria?) is still pretty timeless. Requesting it be posted, thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

GrandpaPants posted:

Nah the panel where Reed is tucking in Franklin (or was it Valeria?) is still pretty timeless. Requesting it be posted, thanks in advance.

No because in what universe is calling himself Mr. Fantastic and the guy who got the poo poo end of the stick The Thing a way to try to make them showman esque super heroes