Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
drat, what happened to the Yongsan Electronics Market? I heard it was like a crazy mega-bazaar and wanted to get a new monitor, so I headed down yesterday. All I could see were a few games shops, about two dozen lamp stores, and a huge decaying caracass.

Are they renovating it with plans to reopen, or is it just waiting for a buyer to tear it down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
In a word: the Internet. It used to be what you described.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

They also all collectively seem to take the same, random days off.

I forget what day, maybe Tuesday? But I went down one Tuesday or something to find that like 90% of the game shops were closed up because they all take that day off. And it was all super dead and empty. Then I went back the next day and everything was open like normal.

I haven't actually been there in a whole though, so maybe it's changed.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I wouldn't recommend Jirisan for camping. It's gorgeous and not impossibly difficult to hike, but camp fires are banned throughout the whole park, so once it gets dark your day is pretty much done. And it gets loving cooooooooold at night up there.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

dantheman650 posted:

Where's the best burger in Itaewon? Nothing fancy, just meat, cheese, veggies, and a good bun.

Chili King, above shenanigans. It's really good and I think better than Left Coast Burger (I also hate that they are from the Bay Area and use the Dodgers logo)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Chili King, above shenanigans. It's really good and I think better than Left Coast Burger (I also hate that they are from the Bay Area and use the Dodgers logo)

Andy and I had a drat good pair of burgers at Pizburger in Itaewon, not far from the Leeum. A bit small for 6,000 won, but the meat was really good.

Pizza was pretty naff, though. Stick to the burgers.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 6, 2014

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

WarpedNaba posted:

Andy and I had a drat good pair of burgers at Pizburger in Itaewon, not far from the Leeum. A bit small for 6,000 won, but the meat was really good.

Pizza was pretty naff, though. Stick to the burgers.

I can't believe you went to a restaurant who actually wants you to call them Piss Burger.

edit: So I tested out Yogiyo [the food app] today, and it's really easy and simple to use. I don't ever recall having to make an account either. Today, I just touched the gps finder to adjust to my dong, then touched the corresponding food type that I want to shove in my food hole. Next, I click the appropriate food (delicious tahngseughyeoque). After that, you jam your finger on the shopping cart, pay with your phone (no silly cards or cash for a NEET such as myself), then wait 45 minutes.

5/5 will expand my waistband again.

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 6, 2014

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Yogiyo really is nice. I find that the restaurant ends up calling me to ask about something approximately 50% of the time, though, so it's not always the communication-free method I want it to be. It also seems to be slower than just calling places directly.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wait so this is an app that allows you to order any good straight to your place?

Is BBQ Chicken on there? Because goddamn I left at the wrong time if it is.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

Wait so this is an app that allows you to order any good straight to your place?

Not sure on BBQ Chicken but theres a group of just chicken restaurants, and one of franchises

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MA-Horus posted:

Yep. One of many such apps now, this one seems to have less bullshit than the other ones. I'm looking it over now and going to try it for dinner tomorrow probably.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Next thread should have a "must have" apps in the first post.

IOS:
I like Jihachul or "subway"- all I need for Daegu

Daum maps - better than google or apple's built in apps

korail - is the ktx at 10 fully booked?

은행찾기 - I need to find my bank's closest ATM

야놀자 - I want to find a decent love motel around here; plus you get discounts

노래방 검색 - gently caress flipping through books, I need to find Final Countdown now!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I don't see 노래방 검색 in Google Play.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
You don't even need the yogiyo app. You can just go to yogiyo.co.kr.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

erobadapazzi posted:

You don't even need the yogiyo app. You can just go to yogiyo.co.kr.

Listen: my pc is forever locked on my desk thanks to that stupid curse. How do you propose I use that site from my couch then, hmm?

edit: I've spent too much time trying to find a table like this. But every item I've found or been shown is 40k-50k. That's definitely too much for what it is and I refused to pay that price. Has anyone spotted an alternative? I need this for my veranda to help make it a proper sitting area in the warm weather months.

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 6, 2014

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

DontAskKant posted:

Burger B in Hongdae. Left Coast Burger in Itaewon. Brooklyn the Burger at Samseong.

Went to Left Coast. I haven't had an actual hamburger in almost a year and it was mind-meltingly good. Thanks!

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

DontAskKant posted:

I don't see 노래방 검색 in Google Play.

I use an app called 노래방 책 - 노래 번호 찾기.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

AmbientParadox posted:

edit: I've spent too much time trying to find a table like this. But every item I've found or been shown is 40k-50k. That's definitely too much for what it is and I refused to pay that price. Has anyone spotted an alternative? I need this for my veranda to help make it a proper sitting area in the warm weather months.
Yeah overpriced. Maybe try emart, Cosco or something else.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Aesis posted:

Yeah overpriced. Maybe try emart, Cosco or something else.

I stopped by emart yesterday and they didn't have anything that wasn't meant for the dinner being hosted by mister badger (seriously, even kids would smack their knees on those tiny tables). I guess this weekend I'll check out costco.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Does anyone know a relatively decent way from Hongcheon to Daegu that doesn't involving going to Seoul and catching a 40,000 won one-way KTX?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

WarpedNaba posted:

Does anyone know a relatively decent way from Hongcheon to Daegu that doesn't involving going to Seoul and catching a 40,000 won one-way KTX?
http://www.hongcheon.gangwon.kr/2009/page.asp?pagecode=01_05_01_01_01
Get a bus from bus terminal. Apparently takes over 5 hours and will take you to north of Daegu but it's only 19,900 Won.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 8, 2014

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aesis posted:

http://www.hongcheon.gangwon.kr/2009/page.asp?pagecode=01_05_01_01_01
Get a bus from bus terminal. Apparently takes over 5 hours and will take you to north of Daegu but it's only 19,900 Won.

And anyone that works in Korea already knows their time isn't worth much.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
I've started applying for teaching jobs back home for the fall. The first district's deadline was last Friday, and I got confirmation that they received my stuff today. They said they got over 400 applicants... :(

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Here's a guide for using the Yogiyo app

The best part is mobile phone payments for delicious debt pizza.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

erobadapazzi posted:

I've started applying for teaching jobs back home for the fall. The first district's deadline was last Friday, and I got confirmation that they received my stuff today. They said they got over 400 applicants... :(

Too be fair, 850 people applied for the job I got with gnet, so it's in Korea too.

What subject? That's par for the course atm with district staff reductions unless you're willing to go somewhere really rural.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

erobadapazzi posted:

Oh hey, it's just like when I tried the Accounting job market for the past five years.

e: It's when the shortlist of applicants is >80 that you need to worry.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Bah forgot to bring my phone to work today. Can somebody tell DontAskKant or the visiting Korean goon that to PM me more details? Thanks

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

Maxsmart posted:

Too be fair, 850 people applied for the job I got with gnet, so it's in Korea too.

What subject? That's par for the course atm with district staff reductions unless you're willing to go somewhere really rural.

I'm credentialed for elementary. I knew it was going to be bad, but seeing an actual number that high was disheartening. My main concern is that, with so many applicants, they won't bother with someone that can't interview in person. Oh well, fingers are still crossed. If I can't get in anywhere, I'll stay here until my contract runs out in August (would have to leave a few weeks early for a job), get on some sub lists, and maybe start considering charters.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Most of the people I know who got teaching jobs back home got them via emergency hires. So, basically once you get back the States, be willing to move anywhere at anytime. My friends who had a narrow scope of locations are subbing and working charters.

Also, since you're probably in the lowest tier (no offense, I'm there too), because of location, experience, etc. You'll be getting interest in July, most likely, from my experience doing the game a couple times.

In short, hurry up and wait. (A lot of budgets aren't set until July 1st.

Elementary is a good endorsement, so you should find work. Are you Title 1 certified too?

Maxsmart fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 9, 2014

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Unfortunately, due to my husband starting school and some other things, I need to stay around L.A. I'm not sure what you mean by Title I certified. I don't think we have that in California. I've got my credential with English Learner Authorization, I am "highly qualified" for NCLB, have a M.Ed., 5 years at public schools in Korea, 4 months student teaching, and 6 months teaching at an after-school in America (essentially, I've been continually teaching elementary kids for the past 6 years).

Thinking about emergency hires is nice, though, and something I hadn't really considered. Thanks.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Last bit of being nosey. With a Masters, community colleges and city run adult education are options too.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I've begun making a food map to Seoul. I'm keeping mod rights to invite only to avoid someone vandalizing it. Most of you know me on kakao, just msg me and I'll invite you to edit it

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Seriously someone invite me on kakao please.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Wow, that food map really took off!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all don't mind if I link the map to a coworker, right? She's always asking for food recs.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Y'all don't mind if I link the map to a coworker, right? She's always asking for food recs.

I'd say wait until this weekend. I mean you could, but I think we can double the pins and then show friends with confidence.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I can add a half dozen or so places for northern Seoul. Add me on Kakao (indianajohn) and I'll send you my Google account name.

My best find up here is probably all-you-can-eat raw tuna for 13,000.

The Gay Bean fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 13, 2014

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
I'm flying in for a few days tomorrow. What do I need phone-wise? K4E says I need to rent a phone, but the tourism website says I can grab a SIM at the airport.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

If you go to the area where the ice rink and cgv movie theater is there's a place you can rent a Sim. Otherwise the places in the airport just rent phones or wifi Hotspot eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Went to Gusto's today, I take back everything good I ever said about Tomatillo.

Also, me and a friend got interviewed by KBS, who are doing a story about it. They kept feeding us lines, so please forgive the horrible cheesiness.

• Locked thread