Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Simsmagic posted:

Is there anybody in this comic that isn't the best character

Spender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

look at this fool

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Paul.Power posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty great running gag (see also: the crying eagle).

Is this a reference to something outside the comic? Or something internal that I'm not recognizing?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rotten Cookies posted:

Is this a reference to something outside the comic? Or something internal that I'm not recognizing?
I just like to say "drug" because it disappoints authority!

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Rotten Cookies posted:

You may not be disappointing authority, but you're disappointing us. http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=205

E: I just checked to make sure someone else hadn't goddamnit.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The trick with sports anime is it is a battle shounen, but since it is about sports the contrast makes it inherently hilarious. The insane over the top nature of shounen makes everything way more exciting too. I'm glad Zack has grasped onto this so hard.

Eyeshiel 21 is a comic everyone should read, as an example.

Speaking of Jojo parallels, I like that despite Max's Jotaro-esque attempts to remain aloof and cool a lot of the time, he still occasionally is just a big ol' goofy loser.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Eyeshield 21 is very high quality.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

God damnit. I forgot about Mr. Garcia.

[I come] from the blighted womb of your worst nightmare, quivering on legs innumerable, soaked in the black ooze of your greatest fears.

I rear back my heavy head, and howl:

DETEEENTION

There was also another occurrence of some type of bird behind Johnny, wasn't there? At least, I remember a comment from Zack about him forgetting about the eagle appearance and making a joke about it becoming a Thing.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Onean posted:

There was also another occurrence of some type of bird behind Johnny, wasn't there? At least, I remember a comment from Zack about him forgetting about the eagle appearance and making a joke about it becoming a Thing.

Crying Phoenix Throw!!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Okay, no joke about it becoming a Thing, but I'm glad I was right about the first part.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Onean posted:

God damnit. I forgot about Mr. Garcia.

[I come] from the blighted womb of your worst nightmare, quivering on legs innumerable, soaked in the black ooze of your greatest fears.

I rear back my heavy head, and howl:

DETEEENTION

You cannot forget about Mr. Garcia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6iomqzxQ8

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

More importantly, the Double Crying Phoenix!

Also, The Throw Classic(C)tm

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

karmicknight posted:

More importantly, the Double Crying Phoenix!

Johnny confirmed for Geese Howard.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-49

Oh, Johnny :allears:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Is that Max silhouette in the second panel an anime thing?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Zach, it's ergo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dias posted:

Zach, it's ergo.

Based on the numerous grammar jokes sprinkled throughout the comic, I'm guess he knows and is just doing it to provoke rancor.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

quote:

YOU give you back my stuff!

I completely loving lost it.

Between Paranatural and It Hurts! today has been incredible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This school is the best school.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
*gasp* Th-The student council...!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is that Max silhouette in the second panel an anime thing?

It may be also but I don't know for sure.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Isabel is also great.

"I'm using these."

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
The puppet spirit is apparently familiar with her grandpa so that's interesting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Max is exhibiting my personal opinion on middle school back when I was a kid.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fecha posted:

The puppet spirit is apparently familiar with her grandpa so that's interesting.

"The {name} child" seems to be common phrasing among spirits so I'm not sure this means that the spirit knows Francisco.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Brannock posted:

"The {name} child" seems to be common phrasing among spirits so I'm not sure this means that the spirit knows Francisco.

True, though it did start the day by following her. I'd be pretty surprised if that was a complete coincidence.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Brannock posted:

Right but why would this particular spirit know her last name? I don't think it's been said in its presence.

That part at least could suggest a familiarity with the family.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Right but why would this particular spirit know her last name?
Maybe it just also gets knowledge from whoever it's controlling? The spirit also flailed around and said "STAR WARS" in a very convincing ploy to reassure everyone he was Jeff, and how does a spirit know what a Star Wars is?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Right but why would this particular spirit know her last name? I don't think it's been said in its presence.

That part at least could suggest a familiarity with the family.

Ofaloaf posted:

Maybe it just also gets knowledge from whoever it's controlling? The spirit also flailed around and said "STAR WARS" in a very convincing ploy to reassure everyone he was Jeff, and how does a spirit know what a Star Wars is?

How quickly we forget gym roll call and the discovery of Johnny Jhonny.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

How quickly we forget gym roll call and the discovery of Johnny Jhonny.

That still does not explain how it knew about Star Wars.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

paradoxGentleman posted:

That still does not explain how it knew about Star Wars.

It's not like he went into a complex discussion on why Wookies aren't hairless, he just said "Star Wars". I don't think it's far fetched for a spirit to pick up on the surrounding human culture.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

It's not like he went into a complex discussion on why Wookies aren't hairless, he just said "Star Wars". I don't think it's far fetched for a spirit to pick up on the surrounding human culture.

But what if Jeff wasn't a nerd, is I guess the point they're trying to get at.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

neogeo0823 posted:

But what if Jeff wasn't a nerd, is I guess the point they're trying to get at.

uh, I don't see, how that could be physically, uh, possible?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

uh, I don't see, how that could be physically, uh, possible?
He wears the Frieza backpack ironically. So Johnny bullies him ironically.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish we lived in a universe where edgar wright made a paranatural movie instead of/in addition to the scott pilgrim movie. that's my wish

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It took 6 years between the first Scott Pilgrim publication and the Scott Pilgrim movie. The first Paranatural page was posted a little over 4 years ago, though Zack doesn't have quite the same output that O'Malley does. If Zack could make Paranatural his full-time job and get corresponding output out of it, and if its popularity rises accordingly, then in a few years ...?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Brannock posted:

It took 6 years between the first Scott Pilgrim publication and the Scott Pilgrim movie. The first Paranatural page was posted a little over 4 years ago, though Zack doesn't have quite the same output that O'Malley does. If Zack could make Paranatural his full-time job and get corresponding output out of it, and if its popularity rises accordingly, then in a few years ...?
Paranatural: The Animated Series

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Paranatural: The Animated Series

Would watch until my eyes bled.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It does seem kind of interesting. You'd think this spirit would be known, since it has a fairly distinctive MO, is obviously very dangerous, and has presumably been inside the relatively small area inside the barrier since it was put up (so, at least since Spender reached puberty).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

It does seem kind of interesting. You'd think this spirit would be known, since it has a fairly distinctive MO, is obviously very dangerous, and has presumably been inside the relatively small area inside the barrier since it was put up (so, at least since Spender reached puberty).

I agree, however, Spender isn't around to ID it, Spender is well established as not telling the kids anything useful, and the spirit hasn't yet directly revealed itself.