Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven’t hit a single ball since April 14 but I’ll take on any of you fuckers in an 18 hole match play.

(If I hadn’t moved from Atlanta to DC, it would still be solid golfing weather :negative: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pmac posted:

Sweet photos of wintry Fossil Trace. Seems like there's always wildlife on the range there. I've only played it once in a scramble. The dramatic looking elevation change makes for some goofy holes but it's a fun track. What hole's the signature par 5 out there will all the rocks near the green?

I always lose track of a course's actual routing when it's a shotgun start. I'm in Denver and play out at CommonGround mostly...it's a well designed Doak course for what it is. Not quite as pretty as Fossil but you still get some surprisingly good mountain / downtown views.

Sadly I'm 4 months into a golf hiatus because of a wrist injury. Getting an MRI next week and hoping for some sort of answer. I was supposed to play a tournament at the new TPC Colorado back in September and was bummed to miss it.

Number 12 is their signature. Small butte style formations in the fairway, and the green is in a sort of box canyon with the opening guarded with a bunker.

I love the course less for its layout (I do like the layout) and more for its management staff and maintenance. Beautiful, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DaniBuMM-BE

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

God bless the one local course whose owner doesn’t have a problem with people playing for free in the winter. Walked 17 holes (one par three green was snow-covered) in 3 hours as a foursome yesterday and actually played really well despite the terrible conditions. The guys I played with are all retired and are back there right now playing again while I’m stuck at work.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Number 12 is their signature. Small butte style formations in the fairway, and the green is in a sort of box canyon with the opening guarded with a bunker.

Ahh yeah that's the one. I still dream about the 3-wood I hit onto the green from just short of that right fairway bunker. 13 is a cool hole back down the hill too.

Suprfli6 posted:

The guys I played with are all retired and are back there right now playing again while I’m stuck at work.

I'm jealous of all the retirees who play 5-7 days a week. Seniors can get an annual pass for like $1700 at my home course, which works out to less than $7 per round for some of them. Only 35 more years...

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I can play every day during the normal season since I work 7-3 but I really miss the days when I was part time and could just take a half day at a moments notice if I felt like playing a winter round.

The solution is to build a home simulator but I don’t want to buy a house and finding places to rent with a 10 foot ceiling is almost impossible.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven’t hit a single ball since April 14 but I’ll take on any of you fuckers in an 18 hole match play.

(If I hadn’t moved from Atlanta to DC, it would still be solid golfing weather :negative: )

Pfft I'm undefeated 7 for 7 this year at my club. Won the matchplay final 7&6. You can pay for my airfare :D

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I can play every day during the normal season since I work 7-3 but I really miss the days when I was part time and could just take a half day at a moments notice if I felt like playing a winter round.

One of the very few things I miss about working 2nd shift was being able to get a round in before work literally every day if I wanted to.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Shrapnig posted:

I bought a Scratch gap wedge from someone here. I can't remember who but it was. I feel like it was either you or DoctaFun.

I think that was me :). I had a handful of those wedges, I wish they hadn’t gone out of business.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Finally used my new Mizuno Blue T7 Wedges on Sunday. I had them lengthened 1 inch and 5 papers added under the grip.

First shot was a 115 meter approach to a par 5 green using the 52 degree. Landed about a meter past the hole and spun back another 3 meters. They're a bit firmer compared to the Taylor Made EF wedges I had but I prefer this feel. Decent check on most chips/pitches and fairly predictable with the amount of spin and run which gave me confidence. Glad I bought them and they should last a few years.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 11, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Another odd day. High winds, cold. Hit the ball well on the range. The first hole is number 10, a real birdie hole, so long as it is my 10th hole. I have a huge mental block when it is my opening tee shot...so, shot into the water, double bogey. Played out the front nine at 5 over, playing well, leaving lots of good birdie opportunities on the greens because they have heavily top dressed and i am leaving any putt under 10 feet slightly short.

On 18 (9th hole played), a par 5, my drive travels 445 or so. Heavy right to left wind, I aim down the right side of the fairway, nail it, and the wind dies, so the ball goes 310 or so before reaching the frozen pond, bounces another 130 or so before stopping without reaching dry land in a playable location.

Front nine, I finally make the adjustment. Birdie 2, 3, 5 and 9. One par, 4 bogeys. The bogeys dont even feel bad with wind gusts at 20 mph. Hit my 125 club from 100 yards, leave it 10 yards short in a packed sand bunker, that kind of thing. Just real good ball contact all day.

Tried the Cut golf balls. They apparently use open source designs, three and 4 piece urethane balls. Really, really nice. I'm alternating them with Snell Blacks and they are really premium balls.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spencer Hall just found out it's best not to step to the Big Easy

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1072864311914180608

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1072864539572559872

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Got to golf solo, as the first tee time today, so had time for some photographs (also hit the ball well, bonus). Playing first, solo, finished in 2 hours 10 minutes.

Just past the gold (shortest) tee box on number 4.

Gold Tee Box #4 by B. B., on Flickr

Same guy, on 18.

Fairway 18 by B. B., on Flickr

From the 18th green, the tee box for 16 on the left, and the fairway for 18 on the right.

From 18 Green by B. B., on Flickr

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
No golf today!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

When it's breezy, swing it easy

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Breezy golf is the most hilarious and fun time to be out, even if all you do is hit balls into the wind and watch them go

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nature6pk posted:

Breezy golf is the most hilarious and fun time to be out, even if all you do is hit balls into the wind and watch them go

it really is

and for all the times it frustrates the hell out of you, it's all worth it for that one time you get a straight away par 5 with a huge wind at your back and can just send it a drat mile

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

DJExile posted:

it really is

and for all the times it frustrates the hell out of you, it's all worth it for that one time you get a straight away par 5 with a huge wind at your back and can just send it a drat mile

favorite golf shot i ever hit was a pured 3h off the deck at high altitude with a massive tail wind. lasered the flag at 271 and the ball ended up on the back fringe. 291 yard 3 hybrid lol, for me that would be a great drive even at altitude.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ironlung posted:

favorite golf shot i ever hit was a pured 3h off the deck at high altitude with a massive tail wind. lasered the flag at 271 and the ball ended up on the back fringe. 291 yard 3 hybrid lol, for me that would be a great drive even at altitude.

That was one of the biggest things I loved about playing in scotland. Winds plus super firm sand-based fairways mean your ball is going to roll forever

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

it really is

A local course near me starts with a downhill par 5 that plays like 500 from the whites. During the winter if you get the wind at your back and frozen ground a half inch down you’re often looking at 100 in for your second shot. It’s fun for the novelty of it until you hit your approach onto the green and it bounces like you hit the parking lot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

A local course near me starts with a downhill par 5 that plays like 500 from the whites. During the winter if you get the wind at your back and frozen ground a half inch down you’re often looking at 100 in for your second shot. It’s fun for the novelty of it until you hit your approach onto the green and it bounces like you hit the parking lot.

hahahaha I have seen this phenomenon and it's hard to even get mad at it, it's so surreal to watch

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nature6pk posted:

West wind in the morning
Rooftops take warning
East wind from your right
Slicer's delight

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

DJExile posted:

hahahaha I have seen this phenomenon and it's hard to even get mad at it, it's so surreal to watch

That happened just now, my pitch mark was a yard from one of the guys I was playing with on a 135 yard par three. My ball backed up a yard and his bounced into the river over the back.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pretty sure I played my last round of the year today, granted December 15th isn't a bad last round of the year, but I played like poo poo and the course was totally soaked. It was quite literally as wet as a course could be without standing water. Running 5 miles a couple hours before the round definitely didn't help with walking a hilly course either but that's on me.

I just didn't enjoy myself at all. I scraped a few pars but they weren't fairway/middle of the green/two putt pars. They were those kind of scrappy pars that you crave when you're playing well and trying to shoot a score but feel almost like a "gently caress you" when you're not playing well.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
My mom, brother and I are going to Kauai for Christmas and I've booked the dream trifecta of Princeville Makai, Hokuala ocean course, and Poipu Bay. Merry Christmas to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

My mom, brother and I are going to Kauai for Christmas and I've booked the dream trifecta of Princeville Makai, Hokuala ocean course, and Poipu Bay. Merry Christmas to me.

Holy poo poo that sounds amazing. Enjoy the hell out of that!

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Well I finished all 3 of the Kauai rounds and had a great time. First one was princeville Makai, I played the white tees since they recommended it for my handicap, plus I wasn't really planning on hitting driver since I've been resting my elbow from tendinitis the last couple months and haven't taken lot of full swings the last 5 weeks or so. Weather was perfect, no wind, 80 degrees for most of the day and ended up with a 93. 3 wood was pretty accurate off the tee and my approaches were decent, but I missed some birdie opportunities because I pulled or pushed an easy 130-140 yard fairway shot. Putting and short game was hit or miss throughout the day but overall I was happy with how the day went and how beautiful the course and weather were. I also had 12 or 13 green side + fairway bunker shots and by the time the day was over I felt pretty confident in my bunker play which was a good bonus. Also made a 45 foot birdie putt which never hurts the ego.

The ocean course at hokuala was the day afterwards and was the exact opposite weather as Makai, started out Misty/cloudy and ended up sideways downpouring by the 16th hole. Played the white tees again but the slope was still 130 so not easy. Started out with 2 pars and bogied the rest with a double on 8. The weather got kinda rough at this point with lots of rain and wind, I had a hard time keeping my tee shots down and im not quite at the point where I can consciously control my trajectory off the tee so that made it tough to get up my next shot for success. I did hit 3 pretty good knockdown shots with my 8 iron/50 degree/9 iron that got to the green so it was good pressure practice. As the back 9 went on im a bit disappointed that I kinda got a case of the gently caress its near the end when I probably could have broken 90 if I focused a bit harder with my putting and green side shots, but my technique just felt really off in all the rain so I ended up hurrying a lot more than normal which cost me for sure. Ended up with a 92 which I'm sort of proud of because I played in tough conditions and didn't have my A game so I had to grind out a decent score but a lack of discipline cost me a sub 90 round.

Had a day off then played Poipu Bay this morning, weather was dry overall with only a couple slightly rainy holes on the back 9, but holy poo poo it was really loving windy the entire day other than the 1st hole. The group I got placed with also wanted to play the blues which are 6670 yards not factoring in the wind and elevation changes so it probably played even longer than that, my swing felt really good on the practice range so I decided to go for it. Massive mistake, I lost 7 balls and had to hit driver almost every hole which I haven't really hit a lot of recently but I didn't think 3 wood off the tee was going to cut it but looking back on it I probably should have just hit 3 wood and hoped for par or bogey. Also had a really hard time with almost every shot within 100 yards and putting today which stuck me with a 106 for the day. Still had a great time overall but kinda sucks when all aspects of your game just get thrown off, although my bunker play was pretty great with the 3 shots I hit all being what I wanted. Main issue was not moving up a teebox when I wasn't confident with driver and a lot of bad chips/3 putts.

Overall would recommend all 3 courses but the ocean course seems a bit overpriced considering the back 9 is really close to the airport, still really nice and lots of fun holes though. Probably have to rank them 1a) Makai 1b) Poipu 3) Hokuala

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Hi thread. It's New Year's eve and I played today in shorts. :v:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Farking Bastage posted:

Hi thread. It's New Year's eve and I played today in shorts. :v:

I played today, it was 39 degrees, blustery, and scattered showers. Best way to start a new year ever!

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

pmac posted:

Sweet photos of wintry Fossil Trace. Seems like there's always wildlife on the range there. I've only played it once in a scramble. The dramatic looking elevation change makes for some goofy holes but it's a fun track. What hole's the signature par 5 out there will all the rocks near the green?

I always lose track of a course's actual routing when it's a shotgun start. I'm in Denver and play out at CommonGround mostly...it's a well designed Doak course for what it is. Not quite as pretty as Fossil but you still get some surprisingly good mountain / downtown views.

Sadly I'm 4 months into a golf hiatus because of a wrist injury. Getting an MRI next week and hoping for some sort of answer. I was supposed to play a tournament at the new TPC Colorado back in September and was bummed to miss it.

Funny you say that; Saw these on 6/7 at Fossil Trace yesterday:

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 7, 2019

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SixPabst posted:

Funny you say that; Saw these on 6/7 at Fossil Trace yesterday:

0930 Tuesday at Fossil Trace. Let me know if you're looking for a weekday tee time partner.

The ropes on the greens do some good for the elk herd, but eh.

edit: Wait, it was open on Saturday? Dammit, I asked them on Facebook and they predicted Sunday as their first day open.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Man I wish I could do midday during the week. Earliest I could reliably do is 2PM M-T but Fridays are more flexible.

The ropes did help with keeping the elk off the greens but my god there’s a ton of elk poo poo on the course. I had more fairway shots than I care to count either up against a turd nugget or in a spot where I’d have to stand in turds to shoot.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SixPabst posted:

Man I wish I could do midday during the week. Earliest I could reliably do is 2PM M-T but Fridays are more flexible.

The ropes did help with keeping the elk off the greens but my god there’s a ton of elk poo poo on the course. I had more fairway shots than I care to count either up against a turd nugget or in a spot where I’d have to stand in turds to shoot.

Once handicap season is over, I don't improve my lie, but I draw the line on deer and elk poo poo shots.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

torgeaux posted:

Once handicap season is over, I don't improve my lie, but I draw the line on deer and elk poo poo shots.

New thread title pls, mods.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Wait, so you play preferred lies during the main part of the season? :confused:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait, so you play preferred lies during the main part of the season? :confused:

No. When my score no longer matters, I still play it as it lies, but for poo poo related obstacles.

Of course, I also carry 16 or 17 clubs (usually test new driver/hybrid/wedges this time of year).

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Why doesn’t the course implement a local rule for that if it’s a known issue?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

I really want them to because an official "Elk poo poo Rule" sounds fantastic

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

It's only really a problem in the off season. Since the course won't allow handicaps, the bunkers are covered and the greens heavily dressed with sand, I suspect they think that having a local rule only during a season when you can't record handicaps anyway doesn't make much sense.

My hometown course, Evergreen Golf Course, has elk, deer and ground hogs on one notable hole. The informal local rule is that you can move your ball to putt around the elk damage on the greens. Even then, I don't think it's written anywhere.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I decided to go long on Ping G400 poo poo since it's been discounted (3,4,5 hybrids) :corsair:, Driver, 3W, 5W. I cannot believe how expensive all the Callaway Rogue poo poo still is, so I ruled them out. I previously had Great Big Bertha Driver, 3W.....X2hot 5W, 4H.

I also am gonna dump my 54/58 setup and just go for a 56 degree Glide 2.0 wedge (old school style) to make room for the extra hybrid and I'll still swap in/out the Srixon Z565 5 iron as needed. I love those Srixons, it may sound like a deodorant or male enhancement drug - but their clubs are loving gorgeous and they make Flat Brim hats too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I got away from my golf game this year and only played a few rounds. I'd be bothered by this but maybe it was good to get clear of it for a year and reset things. Probably didn't help that my local club went through a management mess.