Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Well, I just finally got a nuclear reactor and alien containment, and promptly built a goddamn zoo.

Kinda disappointed I can't raise baby Leviathans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
How buggy is Subnautica in its current state? It sounds like it's very much up my alley but if it's too much of a mess I'll just wait until it (hopefully) gets patched some more.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

sean10mm posted:

How buggy is Subnautica in its current state? It sounds like it's very much up my alley but if it's too much of a mess I'll just wait until it (hopefully) gets patched some more.

Its not

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

sean10mm posted:

Its runs fine for some people and turns into a dumpster fire for others. I've run into a lot of game-breaking bugs. I love this game and want to keep playing but its really hard to do that when I phase through the floor with my prawn and have to throw away all my progress.

The thing is though...the devs don't seem to care. Apparently since the game is "mostly stable" for enough people they can just ignore all these bugs and work on more content instead. So I highly doubt this poo poo is ever gonna get fixed. If you want to play this game you might as well do it now cause holding out for a release that actually works properly is a pipe dream.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's been fine for me, but put it on an SSD if you can. I accidentally installed it to my HDD and was getting awful pop-in until I moved it. Since then I've had no issues.

That said, this is my first foray back into this game since the EA days and I'm having fun exploring all the new areas that they tucked in down there. Currently getting my Prawn suit up to snuff so I can go back and go deeper :getin:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The biggest issues seem to be geometry not loading in quickly enough, which can result in you getting stuck out of bounds when stuff loads around you, and problems with collision in indoor areas, which can result in you or your PRAWN suit falling out of bounds or not entering water mode and getting stuck in the bottom of the ocean. The best way to mitigate these issues is to install on to an SSD or RAM disk, and save often. If worst comes to worst, you can use the console to warp yourself back home and build a new PRAWN suit.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I have it installed on a SSD and my experience was basically bug free until I got a Prawn and a Cyclops. The prawn fell through the seafloor once in the Lost River (thank God for jump jet upgrades and the grappling hook) and every now then docking a Prawn or Seamoth to the Cyclops would launch the Cyclops 10-20 meters up and leave me swimming under it. Once that ended up with falling to the seafloor and running around cursing until the game went 'Oh, you're supposed to be swimming, sploosh'.

I had a few moments with noticeable pop-in, too, but all together it was completely playable for me. Just remember to save often.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Man it would be so cool if the alien containment unit had glass pipe attachments, so you could make a critter highway through your base.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Talorat posted:

Regarding the end of the game Am I the only one who loaded up the rocket with as many diamonds, ion cubes, and other valuables as I could on the way out? I figured if Alterra was going to charge me for all the crafting materials I used I might as well have enough booty in the rocket to have gently caress you money once I got back.

I stocked up on a bunch of cured peepers and distilled water cause I didn't know how long the trip would be. At least my dude isn't going hungry anytime soon!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Talorat posted:

Hopefully Unknown Worlds takes what they learned from this game and makes an even better survival game for their next entry. This is a very impressive first original game. I'm super excited to see what they do next.
Natural Selection was their first original game, I used to play it way back in early-mid 00's. good times. shame they loving dropped the ball insanely bad with NS2 but at least Subnautica ended up good.

I'd like them to revisit doing something like NS again, on a standard engine that isn't some custom built junk wasting countless amounts of money and 7 years of development time.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I stocked up on a bunch of cured peepers and distilled water cause I didn't know how long the trip would be. At least my dude isn't going hungry anytime soon!

All biomatter and fluids taken from planet 4546B have been confiscated for quarantine and analysis, in accordance with protocols requiring that all employee mining and gathering products be considered the sole property of Alterra Corporation. Thank you for your contribution to the Alterra research division.
Your compensation for rendered materials transport services has, unfortunately, been reduced due to thermal breakdown and super-saline contamination of biomass sample.
Your debt is now 999.98 billion Credits.

Have a nice day!

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 6, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don’t feel like they completely ruined NS2 or anything, at least by the time I stopped playing it, but they made one pretty critical mistake with the game’s balance that ended up being very serious for the game’s population because it was pretty small and fragile

I had an absolutely incredible time with that game so I can only judge them so much for that

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Go away you dumb crabsquids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVSV5451txg

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Digirat posted:

I don’t feel like they completely ruined NS2 or anything, at least by the time I stopped playing it, but they made one pretty critical mistake with the game’s balance that ended up being very serious for the game’s population because it was pretty small and fragile

I had an absolutely incredible time with that game so I can only judge them so much for that
Imo they made several and some fundamental designs I didn’t like from the start. Not even going into the flawed engine

But what one were you referring to?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My only truly game breaking bug was when my vehicle construction platform wouldn't build the rocket platform. I had to make a new one which then was able to do it. It's annoying because that ate up a plasteel ingot and a powercell.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EponymousMrYar posted:

Now a time-lapsed crafting animation that you the player watches when you make stuff? That'd be a potentially interesting take on crafting that I haven't seen implemented in a game yet.

Unreal World actually does that; anything that takes a long chunk of time speeds up time a lot so it compresses. This is handy because some tasks can take like 12 hours. If anything interesting happens it'll interrupt the task and say "hey you want to pay attention to that?" Granted in early versions sometimes it'd force end tasks and you'd have to restart. Recent versions save your effort on old tasks.

This works because the game is about surviving and living in a low magic version of the Scandinavian wilderness during the iron age. You the player only have to deal with the interesting parts; working on your cabin for a day takes less play time than hunting for a day.

Granted the crafting isn't really the focus of UW. A lot of the items you really want you can only trade for and most of the crafting you'll do is cooking food. The best items you can only acquire as a trade for specific types of fur. You can also kill people for a lot of those things but who would do such a thing?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

sean10mm posted:

I was driving my Seamoth up from a lower biome and my 7 year old computer couldn't load the geometry quickly enough to the point where i literally drove out through the world and when it finally loaded, i was stuck in the ocean floor. It spit me out after wiggling around.

In another instance, i had my Seamoth in my larger sub. The seamoth max depth is 900m. I was at 1300, but like i said it was inside the larger one. I opened the hatch to the seamonth only to be told it was below crush depth. I didnt get in, but apparently the game didn't get the memo and the seamoth caught I fire and exploded as if it were being crushed while still parked inside the larger sub.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You're lucky. It used to be that simply having the seamoth in the cyclops at all when below crush depth would cause the seamoth to die.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Unreal World actually does that; anything that takes a long chunk of time speeds up time a lot so it compresses.

I mean specifically the animation is a Time Lapse of you making the item. What you describe isn't uncommon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Xaris posted:

Imo they made several and some fundamental designs I didn’t like from the start. Not even going into the flawed engine

But what one were you referring to?

Basically when I played the aliens had an advantage in most public games--when most of a round's players were in the low-medium skill range where most of the population sat, aliens would win a small but noticeable majority of the time (56%?), not horrible but enough to make it feel like it was automatically going to be an uphill battle if you were on the marine team. Well the game actually had a small competitive scene, and at that level of absolutely top-end players who were pretty much human aimbots, the marines had a big advantage because the basic assault rifle had 0 recoil, 0 spread, and I believe 0 damage falloff. Those players could shred a skulk who existed in their vision for just half a second which forced the alien team to seriously outplay the marines to win, and so marines won a majority of the time at the e-sports level just because people could actually play at their unfathomably high skill ceiling.

So unknown worlds nerfed the marines and buffed the aliens. When most players, like me, were just playing public games at the skill range where aliens were already winning a majority of the time. It was pretty demoralizing, made wins as aliens feel hollow and wins as marines feel like they were a result of stacked teams stomping newbies, and pushed me away from the game along with a lot of other people. The game's population was pretty small and fragile so that really hurt it. Lots of lost games as marines followed by "good thing they nerfed the marines, eh" group sentiment.

They seriously should have kept those balance changes separate just for competitive. It already didn't accurately represent normal games because it was just 6 vs. 6 (5 vs. 5 most of the time when you subtract the commander), while public games usually had between 9-12 players per team

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 6, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Digirat posted:

Basically when I played the aliens had an advantage in most public games--when most of a round's players were in the low-medium skill range where most of the population sat, aliens would win a small but noticeable majority of the time (56%?), not horrible but enough to make it feel like it was automatically going to be an uphill battle if you were on the marine team. Well the game actually had a small competitive scene, and at that level of absolutely top-end players who were pretty much human aimbots, the marines had a big advantage because the basic assault rifle had 0 recoil, 0 spread, and I believe 0 damage falloff. Those players could shred a skulk who existed in their vision for just half a second which forced the alien team to seriously outplay the marines to win, and so marines won a majority of the time at the e-sports level just because people could actually play at their unfathomably high skill ceiling.

So unknown worlds nerfed the marines and buffed the aliens. When most players, like me, were just playing public games at the skill range where aliens were already winning a majority of the time. It was pretty demoralizing, made wins as aliens feel hollow and wins as marines feel like they were a result of stacked teams stomping newbies, and pushed me away from the game along with a lot of other people. The game's population was pretty small and fragile so that really hurt it.
Gotcha, I think I had offboarded before then. I did play NS1 a lot (even in CAL games) and it had almost the exact identical issues (though opposite team). It was fairly-well balanced 6v6 comp play where it was mostly even, but good aim was prevalent, and if you take that to public games you just destroy everything. And most pub games were 10v10-16v16 which aliens just scaled horrible due to res distribution and stuff and ability to feed off skulks super quickly. They never fixed it and as population dwindled to incestuous levels, all it would take is a couple good shots to utterly destroy the other team so marines would easily win most pub games 70%+ of the time. I'm guilty tho because I almost exclusively only played marines even as server admins got mad and swap people around. They really should have fixed that balance but it would have thrown the 6v6 comp play out of whack so they never did

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was playing in early access but I stopped when the Cyclops was made unusable and couldn't progress. I assume you don't actually need the it anymore as you can make the Seamoth go to 900 meters with its Mk3 depth mod. I've gotten as far as building a base and explored everything I can get in the Aurora. It's just finding stuff like the battery and power cell chargers and setting up a food and water supply at my base. Also setting up a bio reactor and nuclear reactor.

Something I noticed is they changed the location of where materials spawn in some cases. I remember the Island with the gun on it you could find diamonds and lead, but now they aren't there.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I was playing in early access but I stopped when the Cyclops was made unusable and couldn't progress. I assume you don't actually need the it anymore as you can make the Seamoth go to 900 meters with its Mk3 depth mod. I've gotten as far as building a base and explored everything I can get in the Aurora. It's just finding stuff like the battery and power cell chargers and setting up a food and water supply at my base. Also setting up a bio reactor and nuclear reactor.

Something I noticed is they changed the location of where materials spawn in some cases. I remember the Island with the gun on it you could find diamonds and lead, but now they aren't there.

Seamoth goes to 900m Prawn goes to 900 straight up. But to get the stuff to make the prawn go deeper you either take the floating base, or backtrack.

End game is 1400m or so.

And i still havent gone into the lost river myself.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Man, the lost river is like a good place to be to set up a deep base. That one spot by the large skull with thermal vents is great because there are many deposits and an easy path to the blue brine and eventually the lava vents.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

so take titanium, quartz and enough stuff to build a thermal reactor and you can scrounge the rest?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
If you have a prawn drill arm, you can find literally all the materials you'll ever need down there except for kelp and tube coral - there's even table coral growing in spots around the thermal vents. Just bring a couple of strangleweed seed pods for a planter and you're set.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are straight up copper ore deposits down there, super great.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
There's straight up deposits of everything down there, aside from kyanite (which you can find deeper down). Most of it is just those large deposits you need a prawn drill for. More so because most of said deposits are submerged in that green acidic brine goo, ie, anything not a Prawn will melt in there.

Also some of the local neighbors are considerably more manageable after you punch them in the face a couple of times.

(The Prawn really does you make feel invincible, I went from eek that looks big and mean to I will punch you in the goddamned face so help me in the time it took me to slap an armor upgrade on that thing..)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was most excited about the copper, because I don't know if it is anywhere else.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

twistedmentat posted:

They are. If you go into the cave right by the shore there's a large cavern that has a bunch of diamonds and other materials. There are also diamonds in the cave system underneath.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I was most excited about the copper, because I don't know if it is anywhere else.

You can find those bigass deposits of various types scattered across the enviroment. Can't remember seeing copper specifically anywhere, but I mostly started really paying attention to them when I found the Prawn.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Has anyone tried to put together an overhead map or something? Figure it shouldn't be too tough if you can find a way to unlock the camera and just orient everything by the escape pod/aurora.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Has anyone tried to put together an overhead map or something? Figure it shouldn't be too tough if you can find a way to unlock the camera and just orient everything by the escape pod/aurora.

there's a bunch of maps on the wiki

https://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_Subnautica

this is probably the most useful current one: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/c/c1/MAP_biomes_borders_v2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180220134009

but for clarity I still find this one from during the beta convenient for a quick reference: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/1/1d/Subnautica_map2.png/revision/latest?cb=20170326001243
(note that this one lacks the crag field biome as well as ghost leviathans).

there are other maps on the page, including maps for certain large cave systems.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

double nine posted:

there's a bunch of maps on the wiki

https://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_Subnautica

this is probably the most useful current one: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/c/c1/MAP_biomes_borders_v2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180220134009

but for clarity I still find this one from during the beta convenient for a quick reference: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/1/1d/Subnautica_map2.png/revision/latest?cb=20170326001243
(note that this one lacks the crag field biome as well as ghost leviathans).

there are other maps on the page, including maps for certain large cave systems.

Cool, that's helpful. Thanks

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Drake_263 posted:

You can find those bigass deposits of various types scattered across the enviroment. Can't remember seeing copper specifically anywhere, but I mostly started really paying attention to them when I found the Prawn.

Yeah, there are titanium, lead, silver, and gold all over the place. I was only able to find copper and nickel in there or deeper.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There's also a buttload of lithium thankfully, since at 900 depth hoo doggy those un-reinforced walls get flimsy.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Did they finally fix the last two achievements? I see they're at 0.2% global completion now. Unless that's from achievement manager only

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jusupov posted:

Did they finally fix the last two achievements? I see they're at 0.2% global completion now. Unless that's from achievement manager only

Remains in a state of "They aren't refusing to hotfix, they fixed it in EXPERIMENTAL :rolleyes:" like it was still Early Access.

Won't work if you have already flipped switches on the rocket, so you'll have to build a new one, if you do switch over to Experimental for that siren song of cheevos.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, there are titanium, lead, silver, and gold all over the place. I was only able to find copper and nickel in there or deeper.

I've seen copper in the Mushroom Forest, and I think maybe once in the Blood Kelp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I've seen it pop up in the sensor room every now and then, so I'm pretty sure it's out there in the wild. Just, you know, hiding in the enviroment. One rock looks pretty much like another rock unless you know to look for a specific funky shape.