Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Autoexec.bat posted:

Huh, I had no problems paying although the guard didn't catch me right away.

Neither did the guard catch me. I was selling my stuff to a vendor when guard interrupted me and started to cast all the combat poo poo as the dialog window unfolded before me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
The guard has to deal with shitheads stealing and murdering every 30 seconds all day every day so maybe your transgression was just the proverbial final straw.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Were you reaching for your cell phone?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Were you a redguard?

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

can I use the confusion caused by cinci resisting arrest to get an invite for @BonfireLit please? I've made an Elf Templar on PC NA, which is probably why the game boots me to the login screen every half hour (I'm in fact a filthy European)

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Some guild chat while I spam left click and "1" would be nice -- invite @Spectracide (PC NA) please!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Someone was looking for a bite earlier this evening but I don't recall who or which bite. Hit me up @OrvSA tomorrow or whenever you're next on and I can set you up with either.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Can i get hooked up with a PC invite?
@Jetdestro
thanks.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What are some fun templar builds to mess around with while leveling? Right now I've dumped all my points into Magicka with a destruction staff on my main bar and a resto staff on my back bar. I cast my dots, my AOE spear, and then jab things until they die. I mostly heal in dungeons, alternating between rapid regeneration, purifying light, and my big heal. Jabs are nice but kinda boring.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 2, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Elderbean posted:

What are some fun templar builds to mess around with while leveling? Right now I've dumped all my points into Magicka with a destruction staff on my main bar and a resto staff on my back bar. I cast my dots, my AOE spear, and then jab things until they die. I mostly heal in dungeons, alternating between rapid regeneration, purifying light, and my big heal. Jabs are nice but kinda boring.

Welcome to ABJ templar, no matter if you go magicka or stamina, Always Be Jabbing

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there anywhere I can still buy the gold edition?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Are low level dungeons dead? I was in queue for like 3-4hours.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

FillInTheBlank posted:

Were you queued as a DPS? Apparently the wait times are really long

Also how’s the goon presence in this

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

FillInTheBlank posted:

It's a dumb issue if it really is solved like this but I've seen more than one person get in straight away when requeueing after having been stuck in the original queue for ages.

Might be some weird back end problem? Can't hurt to try that anyway if you're in queue 20 mins+

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Were you queued as a DPS? Apparently the wait times are really long

Also how’s the goon presence in this

There's always a few people around but at least the GMT hours I play it's rare to find enough people for a full dungeon group

Orv
May 4, 2011

FillInTheBlank posted:

Depending on your server, off hours are really off in this game, and the lower your level the less dungeons you have available. There is definitely some kind of back end jam with the group finder however, and even at dead hours as a DPS, I'd refresh your queue every three minutes or so, because it seems like even during good hours I only ever get immediate queues or no pop at all.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I even get queue jammed/bugged on my healer. If the queue lasts more than 5-10 minutes I drop and re-enter. I usually get a group within a few minutes of doing so.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah if the queue doesn't pop after like 5-10 minutes I'd requeue as I've had that then instantly pop sometimes

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, there's plenty of people running low end dungeons. The queue just gets stuck easily.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I call my dick the random dungeon queue because it either fires off instantly or never does anything and people only resort to it when they have no better alternatives

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
Any chance someone could drop an invite to @zelmel at some point? I'd like to be back in the guild after taking some time off from the game.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I've stopped and come back to this game a few times without ever actually reaching level cap or completing the initial campaign. If I'd like to take a break from that campaign and take a Vvardenfell vacation will that be weird in terms of story development or is it fairly stand alone? It's not really clear to me if the subsequent expansions for this are intended to be later in a timeline and overarching story or not.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
you can do the Morrowind expansion anywhere between Level 3 and Champion 720+ and its all a series of its own mostly self contained storylines

Orv
May 4, 2011

DisposableHero posted:

I've stopped and come back to this game a few times without ever actually reaching level cap or completing the initial campaign. If I'd like to take a break from that campaign and take a Vvardenfell vacation will that be weird in terms of story development or is it fairly stand alone? It's not really clear to me if the subsequent expansions for this are intended to be later in a timeline and overarching story or not.

Morrowind was where they started kind of planting "Hey here's the next DLC" stuff at the end of story lines, and it has a bunch of characters from various vanilla areas, but those guys all have like one altered line so you're not really missing anything.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Does the order really matter with any of the zones? I did morrowind first because that’s where it started me, then grahtwood because it’s pretty. Now I’m finishing the main quest line but still have a bunch of essentially untouched areas.

Nothing has seemed weird that way so far, did I ruin anything without realizing?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

No, game's pretty open now.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Snowy posted:

Does the order really matter with any of the zones? I did morrowind first because that’s where it started me, then grahtwood because it’s pretty. Now I’m finishing the main quest line but still have a bunch of essentially untouched areas.

Nothing has seemed weird that way so far, did I ruin anything without realizing?

Not really. When doing the original main story quests it kinda guides you through and makes sense. But interspersing it with trips to do DLC/Chapter questlines doesn't really ruin anything. They actually did a pretty alright job of making sure all of the storylines could co-exist if you did them in a different order.

Orv posted:

Morrowind was where they started kind of planting "Hey here's the next DLC" stuff at the end of story lines, and it has a bunch of characters from various vanilla areas, but those guys all have like one altered line so you're not really missing anything.

Kind of on topic, but I like most of the recurring characters that pop up in the DLC. The dark elf brother and sister, Lady Laurent and Stibbons, etc.

But gently caress Narsis Dren. If I could get a daily quest to push him into a well I would do so on every character. :argh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snowy posted:

since you could technically skip quests in vanilla teso too (albeit by grinding a bunch) they tried to take that into account and give people slightly different dialog for if they haven't met you. other times they just act like you already did the previous quests. its not a big deal.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

sometimes the game is really good at accounting for you sequence breaking (generally any stuff in the DLCs or Chapters is designed with this in mind since it was the first DLCs that did scaling so they could be done at any time) but sometimes it just really falls flat and the npc will just talk to you like you've met before but you'll never lock yourself out of anything or spoil anything too much

even the "prologue" quests they've started introducing to lead up to new content starting with morrowind can be done after you've completed the actual DLC and there will be dialogue checks like "actually, ive already been to the clockwork city, etc"

in general on the safe side you'd probably want to do faction zones in the old order while anything post-launch can be done any time or in any sequence

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 3, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Naryu Virian is someone's edgy sexy dark 13-year-old wank fantasy waifu they created in Morrowind and dedicated their life to eventually making canon, and they did, and I respect that deeply

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Yeah I think ZOS really prides themselves on the One Tamriel approach of 'Do whatever, whenever' so you won't be missing much besides a 'hello again friend'. IIRC the end of the MSQ (Prophet and Vestige poo poo) sorta foreshadows Morrowind which then foreshadows Clockwork City and that foreshadows Summerset, but not in any way that matters. The only real thing of note I think was that by only doing one faction's quests, when I got to the Coldharbor section I was like "Who the gently caress are half of these jokers?" because you reunite with people from each faction, not only your own.

For example on alts I do CWC before completing Morrowind's main story because CWC gives more skillpoints and rewards you with a 150% exp scroll. This doesn't make it feel out of place when I go back to MW to help Vivec Get His Groove Back.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

dromal phrenia posted:

The only real thing of note I think was that by only doing one faction's quests, when I got to the Coldharbor section I was like "Who the gently caress are half of these jokers?" because you reunite with people from each faction, not only your own.

Yeah, it didn't dawn on me the first time I went through that all of these new and interesting characters in Coldharbor were actually from the other faction's main storylines. I figured it out once I did Cadwell's Silver and Gold of course. It's neat how they all recognize you after the Coldharbor poo poo though if/when you run into them during DLC content.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm a strong believer in just finding a region that looks interesting to you, doing the quests there, and seeing where that takes you. The only places where that might not work out for you as a new player are Craglorn and the PVP areas. (And if you're playing with a friend or two, definitely do Craglorn. It's the only region balanced specifically for small groups.)

My slightly off-the-wall recommendation would be to start in Reaper's March, even though that was intended to be the last Dominion area. It's easy to navigate, home to one of the best hub towns in the game (Rawl'kha), one of the best public dungeons in the game (The Vile Manse), and the quests there are generally interesting and well-designed. I ended up starting multiple characters in Reaper's March because it's where I have my main house, and it just feels right somehow. It's mostly hills and scrubland, so it's not one of the prettier regions, but it really grew on me.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 3, 2018

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Yeah what zone you start in doesn't matter much, although where you start in the zone does sort-of matter. I somehow did The Rift in basically the entirely backward order and it was pretty goofy

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

dromal phrenia posted:

Yeah what zone you start in doesn't matter much, although where you start in the zone does sort-of matter. I somehow did The Rift in basically the entirely backward order and it was pretty goofy

Yeah the same happened with me, I think because I ported out to sell poo poo and then used the main riften wayshrine to port back.

Ended up killing the big bad before half the expositionary quests were done.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

Doing the main faction quests before the side quests is particularly strange. Lots of dead characters coming back to life, plots cropping up that you already resolved etc. It doesn't really matter but it's daft design

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

NLJP posted:

Yeah the same happened with me, I think because I ported out to sell poo poo and then used the main riften wayshrine to port back.

Ended up killing the big bad before half the expositionary quests were done.

Same, I reached a point in the main zone quest where they were like “hey! This creature you’ve been following for multiple quests is attacking Riften!” And I thought “hmm didn’t that already happen” and had to do lots of googling to figure out what the right order was vs how I’d done things

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I like doing Gold Coast first for the shadow rider passive in the DB tree. That's a big QoL perk when you're out and about questing.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Beefeater posted:

But gently caress Narsis Dren. If I could get a daily quest to push him into a well I would do so on every character. :argh:

Same, but Lady Laurent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Owlkill posted:

Same, I reached a point in the main zone quest where they were like “hey! This creature you’ve been following for multiple quests is attacking Riften!” And I thought “hmm didn’t that already happen” and had to do lots of googling to figure out what the right order was vs how I’d done things

If anything then I'll be sure to look for the "entry point" quest for each zone when I do pick one. Things seem to flow fairly sensibly as long as you do that.