Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
gently caress that Kat/Zimmy chapter is over a decade old, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

gently caress that Kat/Zimmy chapter is over a decade old, lmao

Yup and it handles everything so much better than the current chapter. It's sad looking at old chapters to be reminded of just how far this comic has fallen.

Oh well, time for the next plot mandated thing to happen randomly so the characters can have completely out of character reactions to them. Maybe we'll get lucky and Paz and/or Kat will also yell at Annie for no reason, that's always a classic. This seems like a good place for Paz's last appearance in the comic anyways.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

It feels wild to compare to a chapter like this.

Divine may end up being my high point chapter for the whole comic. Good art, interesting story, high stakes, lots of unanswered questions. Felt like the comic could only get better from there. But in retrospect, ehhh...

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It's like reading a different comic. God this used to be so well executed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

message from your little comic, mate

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
You know there COULD be some cool thematic stuff going on if this was better executed. Coyote left his body behind in favor of Loup, who left his body behind in favor of Jerrick. Reynard was forced to leave his body behind. Annie left two bodies behind to her new one. Kat has now left her body behind for the machine. There could be some interesting takes on this kind of thing, in a very cyberpunk sort of way.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

You know there COULD be some cool thematic stuff going on if this was better executed. Coyote left his body behind in favor of Loup, who left his body behind in favor of Jerrick. Reynard was forced to leave his body behind. Annie left two bodies behind to her new one. Kat has now left her body behind for the machine. There could be some interesting takes on this kind of thing, in a very cyberpunk sort of way.

And the humans becoming animals to join the forest, and the fairies having to die as a test to become human... It was a whole thing!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

And the robots left their old bodies to join new ones! Which was a process created by Kat and part of what has led her to this status of machine godhood in the first place!

They also transcended robotics - presumably they can no longer link to each other with cables, because they are all New Flesh People. So they went the other way. There's definitely something to talk about there.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I genuinely, honest to god believe he's trying to move to a more manga style.

I went back to chapter 46, and here's Kat furious and yelling: You've got one background dot face but every panel is different with multiple full body pullbacks with different gestures and angle changes. The noses are all different even simplified. The yelling mouth is realistic.

The latest page gives us the exact same emotional range... But this is generic manga style. Both of them with the sharp pointy noses. The exagerrated mouth yelling side profile. Everything's a front-on shoulder up close up or facial closeup except the final beat.

Here is a random page of Horimiya, a shoujo romance. Look at the arrow nose, the shouting mouth, the pull back simplified face comedy beat, everything being a face or shoulder close up with no gestures besides the final panel.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

coolusername posted:

But this is generic manga style. Both of them with the sharp pointy noses. The exagerrated mouth yelling side profile. Everything's a front-on shoulder up close up or facial closeup except the final beat.

That, or...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

coolusername posted:

I genuinely, honest to god believe he's trying to move to a more manga style.

I went back to chapter 46, and here's Kat furious and yelling: You've got one background dot face but every panel is different with multiple full body pullbacks with different gestures and angle changes. The noses are all different even simplified. The yelling mouth is realistic.

The latest page gives us the exact same emotional range... But this is generic manga style. Both of them with the sharp pointy noses. The exagerrated mouth yelling side profile. Everything's a front-on shoulder up close up or facial closeup except the final beat.

Here is a random page of Horimiya, a shoujo romance. Look at the arrow nose, the shouting mouth, the pull back simplified face comedy beat, everything being a face or shoulder close up with no gestures besides the final panel.

I wonder if he's just trying to crank out pages faster because he's overwhelmed with the 3x per week pace. Maybe the simplified style makes them easier to churn out quickly. That's partly why manga style is the way it is, no?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Moskau posted:

That, or...

you've somehow made this whole thing even worse.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Moskau posted:

That, or...

How dare you

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Moskau posted:

That, or...

let's not say terrible things we can't take back

I do wonder, when this is all tied up, how much of the overarching plot was set in stone when the comic started and how much has been changed over time in a reverse-cerebus-syndrome "I don't want the characters I've gotten attached to to feel bad or uncomfortable on-screen"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

coolusername posted:

I love that chapter so much

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Moskau posted:

That, or...

Hey now, Kat and Paz don't look half-asleep. Mouthes are pretty spot on mind you.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Not to be pedantic, but how exactly did Kat know Annie was about to cut out the chip when this page established she regains sight and hearing after that point?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bobulus posted:

Not to be pedantic, but how exactly did Kat know Annie was about to cut out the chip when this page established she regains sight and hearing after that point?

It's a solid assumption. From their perspective something awful happened. Kat considers it salvageable.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Randalor posted:

Hey now, Kat and Paz don't look half-asleep. Mouthes are pretty spot on mind you.

better?

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Much worse, please desist.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

please continue, i made my "i'm done reading and posting" post months ago and i'm still here for some reason.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Niavmai posted:

please continue, i made my "i'm done reading and posting" post months ago and i'm still here for some reason.

I followed this comic for over a decade, so y'all best believe I have one hell of a reservoir of "man, what a disappointment" posting remaining

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It has been a while since Tom Sidell made those high quality horror monster shots. Is Annie going to see something horrific from Kat's cadaver?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
*Reads new page*

Sure. Whatever.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Nothing as corny as that. Just something equivalent but described differently.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ditocoaf posted:

Nothing as corny as that. Just something equivalent but described differently.

The way she's describing it, it sounds more like sleep paralysis. She's controlling the computers with her mind, but she can't control her body at the same time.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I mean I am interested. This does intrigue me.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm intrigued, and look Annie's nose has returned! Although I do think the flat lighting/shading in this one isn't doing many atmospheric favours to the pretty big plot swerve going on here.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Randalor posted:

She just needs to figure out the port settings and IP address to access the meatshell. Simple mistake really, who hasn't forgotten to write those things down before ascending to a state of transhumanism? It's like forgetting the combination to your locker, that's all.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone accidentally restarts the SSH server while they're SSH'd in at least once

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Hahaha nice

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Ah so this is how Kat makes that Machine Bug God form for herself.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So how long until Kat has the brilliant idea to build an exosuit she can remotely pilot to sustain and give her meatshell mobility, with speakers and cameras built into it so she can interact with people while she completely neglects actually getting back into her body as it decays and eventually dies without her noticing investigates Omega.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Good thing Kat just didn't warn her friends something like this could happen, despite her apparently programming protocols specifically for it. Also ignoring how you could just program a chip in your neck to prevent you from getting electrically shocked?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
look, these things sometimes just slip into production

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Good thing Kat just didn't warn her friends something like this could happen, despite her apparently programming protocols specifically for it. Also ignoring how you could just program a chip in your neck to prevent you from getting electrically shocked?

I mean, the tone of this situation is all over the place, but at least these things make sense in the setting. We've seen plenty of straight-out magic and how Kat interprets that magic as code. It reads to me like feature-creep: She had a problem she wanted to solve and came up with several ways to do it, and then didn't stop and think about how implementing all those solutions at once would conflict.

'Oh, I'm working around experimental electrical tech all the time, it would be a good idea to have a way to negate shocks from electricity. For safety. Until I figure that out, I'll make it so my body can't reflexively jerk when shocked, which could lead to me pulling my arm back and hitting something even more dangerous.'

'Okay, I borrowed a bit of code-magic from the Court that lets me negate the shock by absorbing it. Cool cool cool. Although... if I'm already going to be absorbing shocks, I should take advantage of that. Let me use that power for something.'

'Okay, now I can use the absorbed electricity, so I'm not burning calories like crazy to control my new electro-magic tech powers. But deliberately shocking myself every couple hours is tedious. Let's take this code a little farther and have the chip able to absorb ambient electricity from around me. Brilliant!'

So now when the chip was turned on, it starts absorbing ambient electricity, the 'don't twitch' failsafes she forgot to take out go off, and her body is immediately immobilized.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Bobulus posted:

I mean, the tone of this situation is all over the place, but at least these things make sense in the setting. We've seen plenty of straight-out magic and how Kat interprets that magic as code. It reads to me like feature-creep: She had a problem she wanted to solve and came up with several ways to do it, and then didn't stop and think about how implementing all those solutions at once would conflict.

'Oh, I'm working around experimental electrical tech all the time, it would be a good idea to have a way to negate shocks from electricity. For safety. Until I figure that out, I'll make it so my body can't reflexively jerk when shocked, which could lead to me pulling my arm back and hitting something even more dangerous.'

'Okay, I borrowed a bit of code-magic from the Court that lets me negate the shock by absorbing it. Cool cool cool. Although... if I'm already going to be absorbing shocks, I should take advantage of that. Let me use that power for something.'

'Okay, now I can use the absorbed electricity, so I'm not burning calories like crazy to control my new electro-magic tech powers. But deliberately shocking myself every couple hours is tedious. Let's take this code a little farther and have the chip able to absorb ambient electricity from around me. Brilliant!'

So now when the chip was turned on, it starts absorbing ambient electricity, the 'don't twitch' failsafes she forgot to take out go off, and her body is immediately immobilized.

i think absolutely all of these words are giving tom too much credit at this point.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

remember when it looked like someone might face an actual consequence? nm

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fragrag posted:

look, these things sometimes just slip into production
There are two kinds of readers right now: readers who think Kat is acting unrealistically or uncharacteristically so the plot can happen, and readers who work with software engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

B^Unnerkrigg Court