Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Duck and Cover posted:

I think sudoku should have more violence.

have u considered minesweeper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

chglcu posted:

I guess this sort of leads in to probably one of my more unpopular opinions. Most games, especially RPGs, need like 99% less combat. Exploration and problem solving are much more interesting and killing endless waves of enemies just gets in the way of the good stuff. Sick of playing a loving murderous psychopath in every single game.

It still would not have been good, but this would have made Bioshock Infinite a much better game. The best part of the game was exploring the environment, but that would constantly get interrupted by the same mobs over and over and over again.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

nvidiagouge posted:

90-95% of the NES library is objectively trash due to advances in the medium and doesn't need to be remastered or repackaged. Nostalgia is the only reason to ever go back to those titles as even the jump to SNES is light years ahead in overall quality and experience. By all means, make new games on those IPs but let's not forget the hours of frustrating bullshit we endured due to hardware limitations, the absolute tsunami of substandard games, and poo poo controls.

*also the need to make games too hard to beat in a single rental period to coax you into buying them for $120 today-dollars

on a related topic: JRPGs are a graveyard of discredited game mechanics. The honest JRPG fans will admit that JRPG game mechanics are a plot, soundtrack, and anime tiddy delivery vehicle.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
It's hard to feel like a hero eating food from garbage cans.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

plot, soundtrack, and anime tiddy delivery vehicle.

That one Resonance of Fate cutscene which I'm not going to post because we all know which one I mean.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"boy I sure loved Chrono Trigger's deep and engaging gameplay" said nobody ever

e: you know how there were a whole bunch of games with a button-mashing QTEs where you had to hammer on X while your in-game character struggled to pry open a door so that the player sympathetically feels a small amount of arm fatigue just like the character on screen does? JRPGs are kind of the same idea, the game mechanics are a fig leaf of interactivity to make you feel "immersed" in the world somehow even though all you're really doing is watching a poorly-paced and uninspiring anime

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 10, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rutibex posted:

gameboy games i will agree are genuine crap. there are a few exceptions:

-final fantasy legend 1-3
-Zelda links awakening
-metriod 2
-puzzle type games like tetris/qix/dr mario

You forgot:
Mario land 1&2
Wario Land 2
Kirby’s Dreamland 1-3
Pokémon RBY (yes it is good shut up)
Donkey Kong
There’s more but I don’t know if GBC games count as “Game Boy games” or their own thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

But Chrono Trigger was never beloved or praised for its gameplay.

Meanwhile, much more recently, Bravely Default sold and reviewed well, and that loving game had nothing going for it besides its gameplay and maybe music.

I think many all time popular JRPGs have good gameplay, like Final Fantasy X.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

e: you know how there were a whole bunch of games with a button-mashing QTEs where you had to hammer on X while your in-game character struggled to pry open a door so that the player sympathetically feels a small amount of arm fatigue just like the character on screen does? JRPGs are kind of the same idea, the game mechanics are a fig leaf of interactivity to make you feel "immersed" in the world somehow even though all you're really doing is watching a poorly-paced and uninspiring anime

Chrono Trigger at least jumped in and out of combat encounters very quickly by integrating them directly into the game world instead of cutting to a separate battle background/UI. They hosed that up in the sequel, probably the main reason I bounced off it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah and to be clear I'm not trying to bag on Chrono Trigger, I think it's great. But it's weird, the game parts aren't really all that engaging, yet it wouldn't be anywhere near as impactful in a different medium.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

nvidiagouge posted:

90-95% of the NES library is objectively trash due to advances in the medium and doesn't need to be remastered or repackaged. Nostalgia is the only reason to ever go back to those titles as even the jump to SNES is light years ahead in overall quality and experience. By all means, make new games on those IPs but let's not forget the hours of frustrating bullshit we endured due to hardware limitations, the absolute tsunami of substandard games, and poo poo controls.

Yeah but the NES was about as far removed from the Atari 2600 as Resident Evil 8 was from Resident Evil 7

It was mind-blowing at the time and represented a lot more progress than anything we see today

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The combat in Chrono Trigger was fantastic because that's where https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en19gS7nRUg lived. Oh and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX9MjcRaP7Q.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

also the final battle theme (...except for the ear-splitting shrieks)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sapozhnik posted:

Yeah and to be clear I'm not trying to bag on Chrono Trigger, I think it's great. But it's weird, the game parts aren't really all that engaging, yet it wouldn't be anywhere near as impactful in a different medium.

chrono trigger would be a 10 page short story in science fiction magazine

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

nvidiagouge posted:

Mega Man 2 is one of my top 20 games ever but I'm not going to pretend like I didn't spend a good amount of time dying for bullshit reasons because my NES didn't detect my button input properly in an intense area.

You suck at mega man 2

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Battletoads was good when it came out. It is still good today.

The one common complaint I heard was you had to die to learn how to do levels. You couldn't just figure them out as you went. Nowadays, this has been completely normalized into tons of games and is no longer frowned upon.

Therefore Battletoads was good when it came out. It is still good today.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The parts in Sonic games where you're just standing there waiting for a platform to lower would benefit from some kind of Fortnite dance mechanic.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Battletoads was good when it came out. It is still good today.

:hmmyes:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wanted to play fortnite back in the day when it was a singleplayer zombie game before they tacked on the battle royale multiplayer mode that became the entire game

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's okay to look down on people who got stupidly good at a video game.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Rockin' Kats is the best game ever made and i want that on my tombstone

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I've been trying to play through FF7 Remake, but its just sooooooo "play through the first disc of FF7 again for the 23rd loving time in your life but now everything takes 10x longer".

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

X JAKK posted:

Rockin' Kats is the best game ever made and i want that on my tombstone

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

X JAKK posted:

I've been trying to play through FF7 Remake, but its just sooooooo "play through the first disc of FF7 again for the 23rd loving time in your life but now everything takes 10x longer".

Its a bad game op. They added so much that noone needed. I dunno about you but i kinda just wanted ff7 with nice graphics and voice acting, just a good modern update.

Certainly didn't need 40 more hours of walking round Midgar fighting mutant trash monsters with a bad combat system and quippy grunting everywhere.

On the one hand credit to square for putting the effort in, on the other hand the ff7 remake is a good yardstick to know whether someone into games is a) a sober downtrodden realist b) an absolute fruit loop daydreamer who would remain optimistic in a 20 year coma.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCTUdDkVcoA

That whole sequence is boring, unfun, and could have been fixed so easily with a simple cut scene. Or just a door you can open.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCTUdDkVcoA

That whole sequence is boring, unfun, and could have been fixed so easily with a simple cut scene. Or just a door you can open.

I think RPG lovers should be punished for enjoying RPGs. Suffer! Ever reaching for that mount, that skill, that plot point.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 10, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Game was cool and funny and the combat was enjoyable and novel

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

im trying mortal shell cuz it’s free and I saw a lot of people talking about how janky and hard it is, i’m like a half hour in and it’s definitely janky and hard but in a way that I kinda dig, like Elex

but does this game share any devs with the Warframe guys? because this is just Warframe but souls instead of a looter shooter. you play as a Tenno.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoyed FF7r's combat, I have no idea how, because I hate that kind of combat, but the moment that game is hitting the PC I'm gonna mod a redux version of it to just cut huge chunks of it for my own enjoyment. There do be a lot of trash mobs I don't care for fighting.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Halo Infinite's campaign is very bad. The new enemies "The Banished" are literally just the covenant but with some brute humanoids added in. It feels like baby's first FPS and I guess all of the really judgmental things I've always read about xbox gamers are true if this is the only kind of game they can handle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Halo Infinite's campaign is very bad. The new enemies "The Banished" are literally just the covenant but with some brute humanoids added in. It feels like baby's first FPS and I guess all of the really judgmental things I've always read about xbox gamers are true if this is the only kind of game they can handle.

Thats the enemy roster in every single Halo game except the first one.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Halo should have been put to rest when Bungie was done with it, because by god has Microsoft done nothing but put out stinker after stinker after they bought it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
halo 5 had bug robots

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I also played about 30 minutes of Gears of War 5 recently (both it and halo are on gamepass) and they both had this thick sheen of like, I don't know how to describe it but they both felt very clearly designed with "people who have never touched a videogame before" as the primary audience. Gears of War 5 has a literally 15+ minute unskippable narrative tutorial segment that teaches you things no more advanced than "use WASD to move. Press W now. Great! That moves you forward. Press S now. Great!! That moves you backwards. Now press A. Ahem.. please press A. Okay great! That moves you left! Now press D... cool! Now let's do each of those one more time to be sure." As someone who has played a videogame or two before the Gears of War 5 tutorial was insulting enough that I refused to play the rest of the game. Halo is kind of the same thing. It was very abundantly clear from the onset that neither one was going to feature anything new, exciting or interesting for a seasoned gamer such as myself. They're like the McDonalds of videogames.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 10, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

I also played about 30 minutes of Gears of War 5 recently (both it and halo are on gamepass) and they both had this thick sheen of like, I don't know how to describe it but they both felt very clearly designed with "people who have never touched a videogame before" as the primary audience. Gears of War 5 has a literally 15+ minute unskippable narrative tutorial segment that teaches you things no more advanced than "use WASD to move. Press W now. Great! That moves you forward. Press S now. Great!! That moves you backwards. Now press A. Ahem.. please press A. Okay great! That moves you left! Now press D... cool! Now let's do each of those one more time to be sure." As someone who has played a videogame or two before the Gears of War 5 tutorial was insulting enough that I refused to play the rest of the game. Halo is kind of the same thing. It was very abundantly clear from the onset that neither one was going to feature anything new, exciting or interesting for a seasoned gamer such as myself. They're like the McDonalds of videogames.

Wait which Halo? Because the old Bungie ones literally only do that if you play on the easy difficulty. And to be fair to the original Halo, when it came out most console players had legit never played an FPS or even a first person game period. So it made a kind of sense to have a short “This is how an FPS works”segment.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

The same thing happened to me when I played Gears 5, the tutorial was such a chore that I never played the game again. I have to wonder if their play testers were ex-cons who were imprisoned when Doom was still a new game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
God the Doom revival has been so great. After Doom 3 was such a garbage pile who’d have thought they’d turn it around so completely.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Duck and Cover posted:

The combat in Chrono Trigger was fantastic because that's where https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en19gS7nRUg lived. Oh and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX9MjcRaP7Q.

The first thing anybody should do when starting any game is turn off the music

Especially when it sounds like a cat having a seizure on an electronic organ

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

galagazombie posted:

Halo should have been put to rest when Bungie was done with it, because by god has Microsoft done nothing but put out stinker after stinker after they bought it.

Let's be real here: the only thing Microsoft has to do is remake multiplayer maps from Bungie's run and keep multiplayer up and running to keep Halo alive. Halo fans have LONG checked-off of campaign at this point once they realized how loving stupid the story got with Halo 4.

galagazombie posted:

God the Doom revival has been so great. After Doom 3 was such a garbage pile who’d have thought they’d turn it around so completely.

The best thing about Doom 2016 is it felt like a loving apology for Doom 3. Doom Eternal felt like iD wasn't done apologizing and felt true contrition after 2016's success.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Octopath traveler is a fantastic example of a traditional turn based jrpg that works really well. It had solid party building mechanics and a few little bells and whistles that really set it apart.

It looks great too. The only complaint I had about it was the story was a bit lacking in depth and engagement. I think they spread themselves a little too thin with all the protagonists.